Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta C 2013

Posted by ilovetogrow 9 Jax Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 2:36

A girl called me once and said "come over, nobody is home!" I went there and she was right, nobody was home! by Anonymous

Continuing on with the Cs:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta C 2013

• Posted by stoc none (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 3:19

Not a close up,but City Lights 3rd hosta from the right,next to the fern.

o

'Christmas Tree'.

Don B.

o

Immature, but it's a 'Chesapeake Bay'.

Don B.

o

'Cathedral Windows'.

Don B.

o

'Climax'.

Don B.

o

Capt. Kirk - June

o

Capt. Kirk - Sept.

o

Cutting Edge - slow for me, new in 2011

o

Cathedral Windows in June
CW in June photo IMG_1326_zpscd4d0060.jpg

Cathedral Windows in July
CW in July photo DSC02321_zps3d0238a0.jpg

Cathedral Windows in August
CW in August photo IMG_1554_zps51b95193.jpg

Cutting Edge
Cutting Edge photo IMG_0970_zps3133122f.jpg

Celtic Dancer
Celtic Dancer photo DSC02362_zpsf2bcff2e.jpg

Cracker Crumbs
Cracker Crumbs photo DSC01964_zps127e4b99.jpg

Cracker Crumbs inflorescence
Cracker Crumbs inflorescence photo DSC02339_zps4eeaf7ee.jpg

Steve

o

Celestial - new 2013

o

Cathedral Windows
Cathedral Windows photo CathedralWindows.jpg

Christmas Tree
Christmas Tree photo ChristmasTree.jpg

Crested Surf
Crested Surf photo DSCF8817.jpg

Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk photo DSCF8824.jpg

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 7:47

Cameo

P8170011

Cascades

P6210073

Cascades

P6210076

Cascades

P5300025

Cerveza

P7270015

Clifford's Stingray

P6210061

Cranberry Wine

P6210105

Curly Fries

P8310069

o

Clifford's Comet looks like Revolution, but seems to be more stable.

o

Clifford's Stingray

o

Cutting Edge came off the NOID list this year. (-:

o

Climax - Cady's Falls Nursery

This post was edited by squirejohn on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 7:55

o

Captain Kirk is supposed to be fast and easy, but mine has been sooooo slow.

o

Christmas Pageant right after planting. Something ate it within the week, and it only put out a couple new leaves, so the covered in dirt version will have to do. I hope it comes back!

o

Cathedral Windows in mid June.

o

I only have one C that I have the pic labeled!

Cathedral Windows

o

Camelot - taken at Flying Frog Farm in Iowa. I loved the multicolored leaves and bought the plant. They're only multicolored when they change from light to dark green, and it's been a slow grower. Can't wait for it to look like the one at FFF.

o

This is my Cherry Berry

o

This is my Climax

o

• Posted by luuk 9b (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 10:25

'Clear Fork River Valley'
Hosta 'Clear Fork River Valley' photo ClearForkRiverValley_zps2c98bce4.jpg

'Cape Cod'
 photo CapeCod_zps802465cb.jpg

o

This is my Country Mouse

o

h. 'Christmas Tree' in June, will be green later. Bernd

o

There are a lot of nice pictures here. It's interesting how different the plants are in our individual gardens both in looks and growth. I've found Cutting Edge one of my favorites and fastest growing. Captain Kirk is also slow here in spite of being in lots of sun. It finally looks like something. My Cliffords Stingray seems to be in a juvinile state but at least it's starting to grow a little. There are some wonderful Cathedral Windows shown above. I realize mine will have to be moved. It must be in too much sun because very little color shows in this plant.

Cameo 6-3-13 (194)

Captain Kirk 7-6-13 (41)

Carolina Blue 2 5-26-13 (185)

Change of Tradition 5-23-13 (97)

Curtain Call 6-3-13 (112)

o

h. 'Cutting Edge'.

o

h. 'Cadillac'.

o

Canadian Blue

Canadian Blue photo summergarden022_zps52dcc6f9.jpg

Candy Dish (obviously tasty! - hence well named lol)

Candy Dish photo hostarollcallJuly2013007_zpsd2fa55c3.jpg

Cutting Edge
Cutting Edge photo hostarollcallJuly2013035_zpsaf239872.jpg

Cracker Crumbs (this little guy practically glowed in the dark in spring - I missed getting a picture then.)

Cracker Crumbs photo hostarollcallJuly2013073_zpsc4954777.jpg

Christmas Tree
Christmas Tree photo hostas-cottage2013016_zps510f3754.jpg

clausa
clausa photo hostas-cottage2013031_zps26b485b4.jpg

Crowned Imperial

Crowned Imperial photo hostas-cottage2013007_zpsd5f07032.jpg

o

Christmas Tree Gala
 photo ChristmasTreeGala_zpsbf78064b.jpg

Clear Fork River Valley
 photo ClearForkRiverValley_zps28d3d3cf.jpg

o

Luuk's CFRV - what a perfect leaf...and shot
Ludi's Cameo - pic shows all the colours beautifully
Steve's CC inflorescence - captured to perfection

I could go on and on but have to stay focused on the task at hand, lol...sooo many beautiful hosta...sigh...

Here are my C's starting with H. 'Cameo' at top left ( with white margin) and 'Cherish' to the right of it ( white centre) ...both miniatures.

o

H. 'Candy Dish' - new 2013

o

Candy Dish
Hosta 'Candy Dish' (11)-002

Chain Lightning
Hosta 'Chain Lightning' (10)-002

Charity
Hosta 'Charity' (2)(13)

Choo Choo Train
Hosta 'Choo Choo Train' (08)-002

Color Festival
Hosta 'Color Festival' (10)-002

Continental Divide
Hosta 'Continental Divide' (11)-004

Crepe Suzette
Hosta 'Crepe Suzette' (10)-002

Paul

o

I wasn't all that fond of this one at first, but now it's growing on me.

o

The color on this one makes it stand out. Picture taken in July.

o

Paul - what a wonderful coincidence that you posted your mature 'Candy Dish' right after my young 'un! Your hosta are ever gorgeous - NHL ...wow

Here is 'Cracker Crumbs' taken in June (which has since been divided into more cuties)... yet another mini

o

'Cabbage Patch' (OS) a small hosta that is so homely it is actually cute in my eyes...just like the dolls that came out many years ago! I divided it during the summer. The chew marks (even slugs have to eat) emphasize its
" uniqueness" lol

o

Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk photo DSC_0011-3.jpg

Celestial

Celestial photo DSC_0042-1_zps312d9dc3.jpg

o

Climax
 photo be1265f1fbb77b8096e4be8aab088c29.jpg

Cascades
 photo 7d78bd60e169c2f1ce7287932f83bbe1.jpg

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 12:53

Ohhh Melati, your Cascades is Gorgeous !!!

o

Josephine67,
I've never heard of Cabbage Patch before. Looks interesting. Where did you get it from? I can't find anything about it online.
Vanessa

o

Clovelly

o

Hi, Vanessa it is so nice to see you posting again!

LOVE that gorgeous Christmas Tree Gala!!!. Wow. You grow lovely hosta.

Cabbage Patch was purchased from a home grower who lived about an hour south of me, had a home hosta business and CP is one of his own concoctions...sorry, no further history on that one. It's gnarled, puckered appearance with some corrugation is a lot of stuff going on in such a small hosta. I decided to divide it so I can observe its uniqueness more closely. Hank has since moved. He had achieved some unusual crosses of hosta....I remember Paul's Glory crossed with Bressingham Blue. It was beautiful. I bought several hosta from him, including 'Tall Twister' which I will post under "T" which is also a 'one-of'. Interesting colour changes throughout season.

If you would like a division of Cabbage Patch, by all means shoot me an email (not my listed gmail, but at pumpikin@hotmail.com and I can drop it off for you sometime...you can't be far away from here. "Interesting" is a kind word to use on that little goober, lol

Jo

P.S. Paul your Colour Festival (a beauty) looks similar to my new Trifecta...to be posted yet.

o

Thanks Ludi, its a very slow grower hosta for me, you have a very nice clump too :)

o

Cutting Edge has the wow factor for me. I'm glad also to see the good pictures of Cathedral Windows as I apparently didn't take one of mine. Nice pictures.

Candy Kisses

o

Only up to the C's and I am already awed not only by how beautiful your hostas are, but also at how exquisitely you photograph them. I'm sure it's a function of how you SEE them, which is a function of how much attention you pay to them.
My DH dragged me to the theatre to see Gravity this fall. At one point I leaned over and told him that watching hosta grow was more interesting. So keep posting; IMHO you've got Hollywood beat!

o

Wow, great-looking plants, everyone. I need to hyper-fert my 'Cathedral Windows'...

Don B.

o

Here's my Cathedral Windows. This one actually is growing on the driveway! Phil

photo DSC_0115_zpsd8404e32.jpg

o

Oh, my Goodness!!! The C's have blown me away! My list is growing already and we are on the third letter--yikes.

My jaw dropped when I saw Curtain Call - McTavish, is it truly that blue????? Just awesome.

Paul, I missed Continental Divide from Naylor, just by a day or so, I'm told. My lip is still poking out that I may not be able to get that one this year (or, as I'm told from Naylor, several years--waaaahhhh!)

Crusader has such interesting color!!! Climax, as always, is just amazing :) Beautiful cascades, sigh...how will I ever make it to Z? Can't wait until spring!

o

deleted

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 22:30

o

Here's my 'Cathedral Windows'.

o

'Citation' (pic taken at Sebright Gardens)

o

'Camelot' (another pic taken at Sebright Gardens)

o

City Lights
City Lights photo IMG_3771.jpg

Camelot
Camelot photo IMG_2723.jpg

o

• Posted by luuk 9b (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 15:55

Thanks josephines67,
you're right, so many beautiful hostas, ...my wish list go on ...and on ...and on

o

Confused Angel - year one

Confused Angel photo DSC_0781.jpg

o

Hosta "Color Glory" is one of my favs. this one is in pretty deep shade, only a few hours of dappled morning sun.

o

Paul,
Thanks for the updated picture of Color Festival! Love it. I moved mine last year to a better location in more sun and it has been growing well since. Can't wait to see it come up this spring.
Vanessa

o

Confused Angel - year one

Confused Angel photo DSC_0781.jpg

o

Coming in to the alphabet late. I have only one 'C' and haven't seen it listed here yet. This little sweetie was won at the Hosta Library Auction from Naylor Creek late in the season.

Deb

Hosta Con Te Partiro

o

Cliffords Comet
 photo CliffordsComet.jpg

Cherry Tart
 photo cherrytart.jpg

Camelot
 photo Camelot.jpg

Color Glory
 photo GoldRegal.jpg

Cherish
 photo cherish.jpg

o

Hi Jo,

It seems your 'Cabbage Patch' hosta would be a fine addition to the hosta library. Do you happen to remember the originator's last name? Hint hint.

You know what to do. Bob awaits your e-mail. ; )

Don B.

o

FlowerFrenzy, I'm puzzled by the tritone look of your Cathedral Windows....are you sure that is a CWin? I love tricolors, but never noticed such coloration on my Cathedral Windows. Just wondering. We can look at it on a different thread if you like, so it won't be lost in the alphabet....:)

I don't know how I got so far behind here. Of course, we were going to City Planning Commission meetings about some properties in our area, and I got all bent out of shape. Then it turned really really cold and I was scurrying to cover the tender plants with sheets and spreads, etc, so.....let me play catch-up for the weekend. Wow, time flies when you're having fun.

If I don't have a good photo from this year, I won't bother posting an old photo. Well, I LOST all my 2012 and earlier photos, unless they are on Flickr. So let's proceed:

Candy Dish is one I like for the dark shiny leaf, the ruffles, and the way it holds the leaves out flat. Outstanding, Got it from Bob Solberg in 2012.
Garden13Jun0469

Candy Hearts in August 2013, it came from Jim Hartmann.
IMG_20130812_150820

Captain Kirk is a 2012 purchase from Green Mt. It came with an elongated crown, looked like roots growing from a joint in a bamboo cane. But now it seems to be straightened out.
Garden13Jun0403

Captain's Adventure in June 2013, the best it's ever looked. (Erie Magic is its companion on the right)
DSCN8374

Catch of the Day with Honey Pie and Summer Breeze for size comparison. Looks rather small, while Honey Pie has the typical flat footed fat Louisiana oyster "soles" look of other fragrant hosta.
DSCN9066

Cathedral Windows is fragrant. And beautiful.First in July 2013
Garden13July0188
and then September
Garden13Sept022

Celtic Uplands grew thick and lovely this year. It arrived early spring 2012. Here it is in June 2013
DSCN8413

Cerveza is a gold fragrant which has tremendous staying powers. I really love it. It went down totally in the cold spell after Christmas this year. Leaves were still gold. I think it will be a great solid color gold to brighten my rows of green hosta.
in May 2013
DSCN7722
in July 2013
2013-07-02_16-31-34_799

in Sept 2013
IMG_20130904_174152.jpg

and early Dec 2013...that's Mojito on the right
Garden13Dec023

Cheatin Heart
Garden13July0156

China Girl in May 2013
DSCN7752

clausa species
Hosta clausa

H. clausa Normalis var. 'Jilin'
IMG_20130812_150852

Clear Fork River Valley...WOW, do I recommend THIS!
DSCN9953

Climax in July 2013
Garden13July0232

Clovelly...doing okay but not outstanding. Probably too hot for it here. This is as far as it developed, and the pic is in June 2013
Garden13Jun0628

Cold Heart is another Alttara Scheer hosta. In spring it had a blue shading in the midseam area and rather red legs. This is August 2013 picture.
Garden13Aug060

Color Revolt is a Don Rawson OS which likes deep shade. So that's what I gave it.
DSCN9955

Corn Muffins is gonna have a lot of bumps on it like corn rows. It stays gold! July 2013
Garden13July0147

Cracker Crumbs has the dark green margin with yellow leaf in a really small hosta....my favorite variegation dramatic in a hosta this small.
Garden13May089

Curly Fries came from Bob Solberg in 2011, 2 plants, and here it is this year before the leaves began bleaching out from the sun and heat in zone 9a. June 2013
Garden13Jun0924

...and that's all, folks......NEXT.......

o

Special request... anyone got a nice photo of a mature Hosta Centerfold? It's one I've been considering lately. Thank you.

It is very nice to see all these great hosta pictures when it is -10 DegF outside and there is over a foot of snow on the ground.

o

funinthesun - You asked about Curtain Call. My picture was untouched but possibly in low light to make it look like that. The picture below of Faye's plant is probably more realistic. It is a division off mine and three years old. It is a favorite blue, fast growing and hard to picture it being related to Wolverine. Anyway...here are Faye's "C's"

Curtain Call 5-27-13 (6)

Christmas Tree 6-11-13 (71)

Cherry Berry 7-8-13 (14)

o

Faye's 'Cherry Berry' is beautiful, thanks for posting it, Myrle. I had one of my own two seasons ago, but it died. I'm going to try it again. Why not, eh?

Cheers,
Don B.

o
RE: Hosta C 2013 - Cathedral Windows

This pic from my wife won a contest and is published in the AHS Journal , CW is the left-most plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here