Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta C 2013

A girl called me once and said "come over, nobody is home!" I went there and she was right, nobody was home! by Anonymous

Continuing on with the Cs:

Comments (68)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cathedral Windows in mid June.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I only have one C that I have the pic labeled!

Cathedral Windows

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Camelot - taken at Flying Frog Farm in Iowa. I loved the multicolored leaves and bought the plant. They're only multicolored when they change from light to dark green, and it's been a slow grower. Can't wait for it to look like the one at FFF.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

This is my Cherry Berry

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

This is my Climax

• luuk
    10 years ago

'Clear Fork River Valley'

'Cape Cod'

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

This is my Country Mouse

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

h. 'Christmas Tree' in June, will be green later. Bernd

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

There are a lot of nice pictures here. It's interesting how different the plants are in our individual gardens both in looks and growth. I've found Cutting Edge one of my favorites and fastest growing. Captain Kirk is also slow here in spite of being in lots of sun. It finally looks like something. My Cliffords Stingray seems to be in a juvinile state but at least it's starting to grow a little. There are some wonderful Cathedral Windows shown above. I realize mine will have to be moved. It must be in too much sun because very little color shows in this plant.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

h. 'Cutting Edge'.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

h. 'Cadillac'.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Canadian Blue

Candy Dish (obviously tasty! - hence well named lol)

Cutting Edge

Cracker Crumbs (this little guy practically glowed in the dark in spring - I missed getting a picture then.)

Christmas Tree

clausa

Crowned Imperial

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Christmas Tree Gala

Clear Fork River Valley

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Luuk's CFRV - what a perfect leaf...and shot
    Ludi's Cameo - pic shows all the colours beautifully
    Steve's CC inflorescence - captured to perfection

I could go on and on but have to stay focused on the task at hand, lol...sooo many beautiful hosta...sigh...

Here are my C's starting with H. 'Cameo' at top left ( with white margin) and 'Cherish' to the right of it ( white centre) ...both miniatures.

10 years ago

H. 'Candy Dish' - new 2013

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Candy Dish

Chain Lightning

Charity

Choo Choo Train

Color Festival

Continental Divide

Crepe Suzette

Paul

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I wasn't all that fond of this one at first, but now it's growing on me.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

The color on this one makes it stand out. Picture taken in July.

10 years ago

Paul - what a wonderful coincidence that you posted your mature 'Candy Dish' right after my young 'un! Your hosta are ever gorgeous - NHL ...wow

Here is 'Cracker Crumbs' taken in June (which has since been divided into more cuties)... yet another mini

10 years ago

'Cabbage Patch' (OS) a small hosta that is so homely it is actually cute in my eyes...just like the dolls that came out many years ago! I divided it during the summer. The chew marks (even slugs have to eat) emphasize its
    " uniqueness" lol

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Captain Kirk

Celestial

• Lee
    10 years ago

Climax

Cascades

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Ohhh Melati, your Cascades is Gorgeous !!!

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Josephine67,
    I've never heard of Cabbage Patch before. Looks interesting. Where did you get it from? I can't find anything about it online.
    Vanessa

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    10 years ago

Clovelly

10 years ago

Hi, Vanessa it is so nice to see you posting again!

LOVE that gorgeous Christmas Tree Gala!!!. Wow. You grow lovely hosta.

Cabbage Patch was purchased from a home grower who lived about an hour south of me, had a home hosta business and CP is one of his own concoctions...sorry, no further history on that one. It's gnarled, puckered appearance with some corrugation is a lot of stuff going on in such a small hosta. I decided to divide it so I can observe its uniqueness more closely. Hank has since moved. He had achieved some unusual crosses of hosta....I remember Paul's Glory crossed with Bressingham Blue. It was beautiful. I bought several hosta from him, including 'Tall Twister' which I will post under "T" which is also a 'one-of'. Interesting colour changes throughout season.

If you would like a division of Cabbage Patch, by all means shoot me an email (not my listed gmail, but at pumpikin@hotmail.com and I can drop it off for you sometime...you can't be far away from here. "Interesting" is a kind word to use on that little goober, lol

Jo

P.S. Paul your Colour Festival (a beauty) looks similar to my new Trifecta...to be posted yet.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Thanks Ludi, its a very slow grower hosta for me, you have a very nice clump too :)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Cutting Edge has the wow factor for me. I'm glad also to see the good pictures of Cathedral Windows as I apparently didn't take one of mine. Nice pictures.

Candy Kisses

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Only up to the C's and I am already awed not only by how beautiful your hostas are, but also at how exquisitely you photograph them. I'm sure it's a function of how you SEE them, which is a function of how much attention you pay to them.
    My DH dragged me to the theatre to see Gravity this fall. At one point I leaned over and told him that watching hosta grow was more interesting. So keep posting; IMHO you've got Hollywood beat!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, great-looking plants, everyone. I need to hyper-fert my 'Cathedral Windows'...

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Here's my Cathedral Windows. This one actually is growing on the driveway! Phil

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Oh, my Goodness!!! The C's have blown me away! My list is growing already and we are on the third letter--yikes.

My jaw dropped when I saw Curtain Call - McTavish, is it truly that blue????? Just awesome.

Paul, I missed Continental Divide from Naylor, just by a day or so, I'm told. My lip is still poking out that I may not be able to get that one this year (or, as I'm told from Naylor, several years--waaaahhhh!)

Crusader has such interesting color!!! Climax, as always, is just amazing :) Beautiful cascades, sigh...how will I ever make it to Z? Can't wait until spring!

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 22:30

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Here's my 'Cathedral Windows'.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Citation' (pic taken at Sebright Gardens)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Camelot' (another pic taken at Sebright Gardens)

• Lee
    10 years ago

City Lights

Camelot

• luuk
    10 years ago

Thanks josephines67,
    you're right, so many beautiful hostas, ...my wish list go on ...and on ...and on

• jeremywalsh
    10 years ago

Confused Angel - year one

• jimr66
    10 years ago

Hosta "Color Glory" is one of my favs. this one is in pretty deep shade, only a few hours of dappled morning sun.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Paul,
    Thanks for the updated picture of Color Festival! Love it. I moved mine last year to a better location in more sun and it has been growing well since. Can't wait to see it come up this spring.
    Vanessa

• jeremywalsh
    10 years ago

Confused Angel - year one

• dg
    10 years ago

Coming in to the alphabet late. I have only one 'C' and haven't seen it listed here yet. This little sweetie was won at the Hosta Library Auction from Naylor Creek late in the season.

Deb

Hosta Con Te Partiro

• igmommy
    10 years ago

Cliffords Comet

Cherry Tart

Camelot

Color Glory

Cherish

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Jo,

It seems your 'Cabbage Patch' hosta would be a fine addition to the hosta library. Do you happen to remember the originator's last name? Hint hint.

You know what to do. Bob awaits your e-mail. ; )

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

FlowerFrenzy, I'm puzzled by the tritone look of your Cathedral Windows....are you sure that is a CWin? I love tricolors, but never noticed such coloration on my Cathedral Windows. Just wondering. We can look at it on a different thread if you like, so it won't be lost in the alphabet....:)

I don't know how I got so far behind here. Of course, we were going to City Planning Commission meetings about some properties in our area, and I got all bent out of shape. Then it turned really really cold and I was scurrying to cover the tender plants with sheets and spreads, etc, so.....let me play catch-up for the weekend. Wow, time flies when you're having fun.

If I don't have a good photo from this year, I won't bother posting an old photo. Well, I LOST all my 2012 and earlier photos, unless they are on Flickr. So let's proceed:

Candy Dish is one I like for the dark shiny leaf, the ruffles, and the way it holds the leaves out flat. Outstanding, Got it from Bob Solberg in 2012.

Candy Hearts in August 2013, it came from Jim Hartmann.

Captain Kirk is a 2012 purchase from Green Mt. It came with an elongated crown, looked like roots growing from a joint in a bamboo cane. But now it seems to be straightened out.

Captain's Adventure in June 2013, the best it's ever looked. (Erie Magic is its companion on the right)
    {{gwi:915461}}

Catch of the Day with Honey Pie and Summer Breeze for size comparison. Looks rather small, while Honey Pie has the typical flat footed fat Louisiana oyster "soles" look of other fragrant hosta.

Cathedral Windows is fragrant. And beautiful.First in July 2013

and then September

Celtic Uplands grew thick and lovely this year. It arrived early spring 2012. Here it is in June 2013

Cerveza is a gold fragrant which has tremendous staying powers. I really love it. It went down totally in the cold spell after Christmas this year. Leaves were still gold. I think it will be a great solid color gold to brighten my rows of green hosta.
    in May 2013

in July 2013

in Sept 2013

and early Dec 2013...that's Mojito on the right

Cheatin Heart

China Girl in May 2013

clausa species

H. clausa Normalis var. 'Jilin'

Clear Fork River Valley...WOW, do I recommend THIS!

Climax in July 2013

Clovelly...doing okay but not outstanding. Probably too hot for it here. This is as far as it developed, and the pic is in June 2013

Cold Heart is another Alttara Scheer hosta. In spring it had a blue shading in the midseam area and rather red legs. This is August 2013 picture.

Color Revolt is a Don Rawson OS which likes deep shade. So that's what I gave it.

Corn Muffins is gonna have a lot of bumps on it like corn rows. It stays gold! July 2013

Cracker Crumbs has the dark green margin with yellow leaf in a really small hosta....my favorite variegation dramatic in a hosta this small.

Curly Fries came from Bob Solberg in 2011, 2 plants, and here it is this year before the leaves began bleaching out from the sun and heat in zone 9a. June 2013

...and that's all, folks......NEXT.......

• claydirt
    10 years ago

Special request... anyone got a nice photo of a mature Hosta Centerfold? It's one I've been considering lately. Thank you.

It is very nice to see all these great hosta pictures when it is -10 DegF outside and there is over a foot of snow on the ground.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

funinthesun - You asked about Curtain Call. My picture was untouched but possibly in low light to make it look like that. The picture below of Faye's plant is probably more realistic. It is a division off mine and three years old. It is a favorite blue, fast growing and hard to picture it being related to Wolverine. Anyway...here are Faye's "C's"

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Faye's 'Cherry Berry' is beautiful, thanks for posting it, Myrle. I had one of my own two seasons ago, but it died. I'm going to try it again. Why not, eh?

Cheers,
    Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

This pic from my wife won a contest and is published in the AHS Journal , CW is the left-most plant.