Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta B 2013

If I keep paying attention, I'm going to be in debt! by Noah Monteiro. Noah was probably a hosta kind of guy!

Break out the Bs:

Comments (82)

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I found three to post here.

H. Blizzard

H.Bedazzled

H. Brenda's Beauty

All my plants are grown in containers but I am looking to change that with some of them next year.

Dave

• User
    10 years ago

Here is a small, a bonus from an order to the Savory's in 2013.
    Ballerina.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Birchwood Parky's Gold (Florence Shaw). It was a bonus, but turned out to be one of my favorites.

bk

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

My first "B" is two of my garden visitors. Both are very handsome.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Blue Flame

Bright Glow

Bright Lights

Brave Attempt

Blueberry Muffin

Blue River

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Hmmm, well, I guess I'll just put all the "B" hosta in one lump.
    Banana Muffins, from Green Mountain in VT, has the pumped up dome of a real muffin, fairly yellow

Banyai's Dancing Girl.....love this one....and usually keep it beside a similar looker, Blue Cadet. Nice, both of them.

Barbara......Too bad my namesake is such a nondescript hosta. At least it could have been a good seedmaker! Or fragrant would have been nice too. sigh...

Beet Salad from Solberg back in 2011, one of my earliest choices. In May 2013

Bennie McRae, a fragrant which set many seedpods for me late in 2013. It came from the ground, dug from his garden by Van Wade. Glorious strong hosta with fragrant white blooms!

Bette Davis Eyes, another fragrant from Van Wade's place
    gotta love the name. Here she is with another fragrant from same place, Sweet Marjorie

Bibb Lettuce, from Stuart Asch, very early and very gold and very tender but seems to be developing some substance later in the season.

Bitsy Gold, a really small one which might not live through the winter. It comes and goes, you know. Dwarfs don't do very well in such inhospitable conditions. May 2013

Black Hills is gorgeous and this one came from Jim Hartmann. Shown in July 2013

Blue Angel always looks good, even when freshly transplanted. New location in the "driveway bed."

Blue Flame in May 2013, got it in 2012 from Hallsons.

Blue Hawaii is so different I had to get it, even though I'm trying to swear off BLUE HOSTA. They just don't STAY blue for me, even though the leaf grows very well. June 2013

Blue Sophistication in October 2013, a Van Wade bonus.

Boracay in June 2013

Boyz Toy, a mini/small golden hosta from Naylor Creek.

Braveheart was the most expensive hosta I'd ever bought back in 2012 when I ordered it. Fragrant, very heavy substance, smooth shiny, dark green.....all the things I wanted in a hosta. From Bridgewood and not registered at the time.....should I replace it? We'll see if it comes back in the spring. It was smaller this last April 2013 than in 2012.

Brenda's Beauty

Bridal Falls in May 2013 shows no signs of the melting white margin it suffered late in the summer. Here it is with American Halo, which is blooming.

Brother Stefan was SUPPOSED to be among my first order for hosta, but was not included when PDN shipped the order in 2011May. All I can say is, "their loss."

Buckwheat Honey, another fragrant from Van Wade, a prolific grower but still a plain green. August 2013:

Bulletproof tough and dark and here among my blue hosta in June 2013.

and here it is turned all golden pumpkin in December 2012. It did not do that this year.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Bernd....you have the most beautiful Barbara Ann I have seen!

Here is a very tiny H. 'Baby Bunting' I have babied this year from one root...I hope it survives the winter!

10 years ago

One year old H. 'Barbara Ann'

10 years ago

H. 'Blue Cadet'

10 years ago

H. 'Blue Mouse Ears' my favourite among my mini as it was my first mini.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Bressingham Blue

Big Daddy

10 years ago

I also have 'Bedazzled', 'Big Daddy' and 'Blue Umbrellas' but there are better pictures posted already.

• User
    10 years ago

Jo, the Blue Mouse Ears is like an old fashioned "nosegay" and it is PERFECT. I believe that is the one which you asked about splitting into 4 parts, when you first posted around here. You have such beautifully kept gardens, Jo.

And Steve, the Beet Salad seedling selfed, that is a gorgeous beet colored margin on it, much more intense than my two which came from Solberg. Outstanding. Then the second photo with the color at the base of the leaves down near the crown. Likewise awesome.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Baby Bunting

Blue Boy

Blue Mouse Ears

Blue Umbrellas

Bridegroom

Brother Stefan

Big Daddy

Blue Angel

Brim Cup

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Blue MONDAY

• Lee
    10 years ago

Blue Shadow

Blue Angel

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Blue Arrow

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Josephine, you mentioned you like my h.'Barbara Ann', I love that plant. But others have problems of 'draw stringing' which for me shows as cupping which I do not mind at all. It is still a beautiful plant. See attached posts in which others complained. Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: draw-stringing on h.'Barbara Ann'.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Blue Angel

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Bridegroom

{{gwi:1103652}}

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Baby Bunting

Blue Ivory

Blue Jay

Blue Mouse Ears

Blueberry Muffin

Bridal Falls - photo taken on 4/29/2013

Bridal Falls - photo taken on 5/11/2013

Bridal Falls - photo taken on 8/31/2013

Bridegroom

Broad Band - photo taken 5/30/2013

Broad Band - photo taken 7/27/2013

Bumblebee

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

This one is said to be similar to Great Expectations, but grows faster. Can't comment on that as this is the first year I have had it.

10 years ago

Nestled amongst my Earth Angel---a young Blue Cadet.

10 years ago

Planted in spin out bags. When comparing the May photo to the August photo, I must say that I am happy with the amount of growth for the season---especially for a blue.

10 years ago

I like the way this one improves as the season progresses. This picture was taken in September. Just one month before our average frost date.

Brother Stefan.

10 years ago

Thank you Bernd for the link! I ran across it months ago while devouring previous threads (like Denis aka Mountainy Man I couldn't get enough reading/information on the subject of hosta) but was delighted to refresh my memory...it was so thoughtful of you.

It was new for me this year but from the get-go it got my attention....the pretty blue with such a distinct white margin, the shape of leaf...amazing how some juvenile hosta changes as it matures! Then I got it home and did my usual browsing-on-the-net research. Found out it was developed by two women in a lab by the names of Barbara and Ann...hence Hosta 'Barbara Ann'.

So far I have not seen any drawstring effect that deters from the appearance of this pretty plant. The "cupping" of yours is really lovely...I think it is easily identifiable by its unusual shaped/formed leaves (mature leaves). This is a hosta that will be an interesting one to admire and observe as it matures.

I really hope it looks as lovely as yours does when it grows up! :-)

Jo

10 years ago

Thank you Mocc for the kind words about the state of my garden... they brought a smile ... I love tending the garden (wish I could say the same for the interior of the house, lol). Only a driving rain forces me indoors....sometimes I wait it out in the garage! Hmmmmm...you know how they refer to a garage sometimes as a "man-cave"? well, maybe I can set mine up as a "she-den"? Tee he he.

Yes, good memory about the Ears...I did end up dividing it! convincing myself that I will get it to grow quickly again for me - HA HA HA - I waited five years to get it to size then what do I do? Make it smaller again! Oh well, it will be fun to have more of them and kind of a race to see which division grows the fastest, lol.

Hip hip hooray for 'Blue Mouse Ears'!

10 years ago

Steve", your 'Beet Salad' hosta is a standout with its red edge and stopped me for a few moments - lovely and I "ditto" everything Mocc said!

Paula, I really appreciate you steering this thread - your time and effort and humour - well, what more can I say except a huge THANK YOU!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Here's my Blazing Saddles. Just the first time coming up in the garden,after being planted last year. Phil

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Drat- it's such a long way to the bottom I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say. Loved that selfed Beet Salad seedling's red edges and hope it keeps them. Better yet, I hope it shows up for sale someday.

So many nice Barbara Anns! Mine gets uglier every year and is just about to be tossed. Must have been a bad TC. Some lovely Bridal Falls, too.

Missed getting a photo of Blue Arrow, but here's Blue Angel.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

And Bressingham Blue.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

I got to jump in here too! Wishing I had my pictures more organized.

Here is Blue Mouse Ears

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Blue Hawaii

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I have to catch up so just a few:

Blue Moon (5)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Bohemian Rhapsody, Midwest convention tour garden.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Bashful

Bobcat

Brass Ring

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

My Blue Mouse Ears.

{{gwi:1103693}}

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

10 years ago

Hope you don't mind me contributing this picture. (I know BK has posted a fine specimen already.) It's not the best photo, as I had not intended to post it. It was one of two hosta stolen from my property this year and is the last photo I took of it. So here's to BPG---wherever you are!

• igmommy
    10 years ago

Baby Bunting

Bob Olson

• igmommy
    10 years ago

Bennie McRae

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Oh Keana!
    What beautiful hostas! Who's hanging out with Bob Olson?
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

These are great pics, everyone! NHL, sorry about your BPG. God I HATE thieves.

Keana, 'Benny McRae' is new to me, and I like it. : )

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blaze of Glory. First year. See the pine cone in the pot? A squirrel dropped it from far up in the tree. Broke off a leaf and mangled another. Could not get rid of squirrel but tree is gone. Great color all season.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue Ivory

Original Author
    10 years ago

Brenda's Beauty. She turned green quick. Maybe more sun next year.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears. My wifi was not working right and this picture did not post . Thought I would try again to see if I got the problem corrected .

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

James, did you get your 'Blue Hawaii' (and 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd') from Van Den Top? If so, those are really great-looking mail-order hostas, like plants we'd get from Hallson Gardens here in the states.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

b's could b a huge thread all on their iwn , huh?