Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta A 2012

I am at work but let's get this going. All hostas starting with the letter A. I will be back when I get home. Have a great grow day Paula

Comments (44)

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Here is Atlantis on June 23, 2012. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

And here is another, American Icon on 6-13-2012.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Here is American Halo on 5-23-2012. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hosta 'Aphrodite' blooming on 9-01-2012. Bernd

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

how dare you start the alphabet.. who do you think you are..

ROTFLMBO ...

congrats oh brave one ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: in case you are not up to speed with the lexicon ...

• Cher
    11 years ago

American Halo

Aristocrat
    Cher

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

H.'Antioch' June 9. I should really separate out this sport in the lower left, but it seems not to be stable. Bernd

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Abba Dabba Do

Abiqua Moonbeam

Aristocrat

Paul

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

H. 'Ann Kulpa'

Jan

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Hoorah it has begun :)

I am still a newbie in my first year . . . so my alphabet is lacking breadth.

But I have an immature Andrew ... too much white in the leaves for this one to be a vigorous grower but I have faith it will be stunning since it's a sport from Blue Mammoth.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

AUGUST MOON
    young plant and first season in 2012 and quite a bit of light. Maybe Ken thinks it is something else lol... faded perhaps?

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 10:32

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Oh boy! Pictures. This is a perfect time of year to look at others pictures and make more lists. It's fun to look back at five or six months ago or in the future and see where we will be. Happy New Year everyone.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I didn't take many pictures this past year, but I'll post what I can. The only A I took a picture of:

Autumn Frost

Karen

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok so now I need ... desperately ... an Aristocrat.

I am working this weekend for hostas. I have wanted to play this alphabet game again for so long. If everyone wants I will start us out every other morning with a different letter?. (as living in Florida and getting up at 430a I believe I am the first riser of the day).

Ken, LOL you are so funny. Everyone beautiful plants. I hope I measure up. Let the fun begin. The letter B Monday morning. Paula

In full sun till July 4.

Getting moved this new year.

These are twin liners that I bought this summer and are growing like gangbusters.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Nice work, Paula.

Alligator Shoes

Alex Summers

Annabelle Lee

Myrle, are you sure that's Arc de Triomphe? Looks like Alligator Shoes to me. Here's an AcT.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 17:31

• Cher
    11 years ago

Sounds great to leave a day in between. Here's a couple more I didn't add.

Autumn Moon

Antioch
    Cher

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics,everyone! Here is American Halo from April. Phil

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of Abba Dabba Do from April 19th. It was moved here a few years ago,but hasn't returned to a good size yet. Apparently it is one of those that doesn't like to be moved. It is in the lower right corner. Phil

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Astral Bliss

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Maybe Ken thinks it is something else lol... faded perhaps?

==>> hey almost.. since you didnt give a name.. its hard to argue what it is.. lol ... but i can if you wish ... since we are in the a's???? august moon???

hey cher.. at its peak before i ripped it from mother earth.. and moved it 65 miles west.. my Antioch was at a min .. 7 feet across ... you might want to move it from the foundation ...

all the rest.. wonderful.. i am glad i thought to start this alphabet stuff.. lol ...

ken

• Cher
    11 years ago

Hey Ken. That was my temp holding area but thanks for the advice since I moved it last Summer to a pot. Uh don't think that is going to work out for it more than a couple years unless I keep it divided. :) I'm going to move numerous of mine this Spring for permanent placements and your advice is much appreciated to help me make those decisions!
    Cher

• hostamanphil
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of more A's. Phil
    Allegan Fog

Allen C. Haskell

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Hey Steve, I think Arc de Triomphe is right but I had to go back and check. I needed a visual so I compared the two plants month by month. They are grown in close to the same conditions in morning sun. I'm going to put them on a separate thread since, hopefully there will be more "A's" to come on this one. Love all the pictures everybody.

• User
    11 years ago

Well, I have one to load first for Ludi, since he ordered one from Hallson for May delivery. Mine came from Hallson too, but it has the distinction of being my first BONUS plant.

H. 'Avocado'

Here is H. 'Afterglow', a child of 'Climax'...and a First Look Auction win from last Feb (delivered in May).

H. 'Awakening Angel' is losing its cool blue here, and its white back as well. But I still like the leaf.

And H. 'Adorable'

Then for now the last one until I find my alphabet list!
    H. 'Astral Bliss'

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I found a single pic of "A"....

AVOCADO

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Alvatine Taylor

tj

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Woohoo! Great pictures everyone! Nice to see so much green when my yard is blanketed in snow.
    Antioch

Atlantis

Ann Kulpa

American Sweetheart

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

'Abiqua Drinking Gourd'

Dan

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Here's another August Moon.
    I'm testing to see if I can operate with the 'new and improved' photobucket. I couldn't even manage to log-in without difficulty. Then I couldn't find my albums. I only have a few hosta, but happy to be able to post.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

hey north53 - welcome aboard, I don't recognize your name. Zone 1b eh? Sounds like a real gardening challenge, but your 'August Moon' is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Jan

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hi north53, welcome, I just do only one photo at a time right here from GW. For now I gave up on photobucket, where I lost all photos last year, had to get a new Email address to start anew, with previous photos in some bitbucket lost. They could not recover my previous catalog.
    To all a Happy and Healthy new year!
    Bernd

• irawon
    11 years ago

Aristocrat still unfurling on May 22. Interesting to see this hosta in different gardens and conditions. By June 9 it became much bluer.

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Hosta Alex Summers

Hosta Avocado

• User
    11 years ago

Yeah, glad to see North53 in Manitoba back among us.

When I first noticed the screenname, North53, I immediately thought it related to the latitude of his garden.....and true enough, it did.

I gave up on Photobucket, and remain at Flickr. Most of my albums were wiped out when Webshots changed to a different focus, and I lost contact with so many folks there who in the last 10-11 years had grown so familiar. Some change we can all live with, but don't mess with my pictures! :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome hosta friends! Though I have to admit I am a bit of an imposter on this forum...I only have a few hosta compared to you all. I came here to learn more about the ones I had and became infected by your enthusiasm. I do not have ideal conditions for growing hosta, but I love them so I try.
    I enjoy this forum because it is so active and there's always something green to feast my eyes on...especially during the alphabet! It gets me through the winter.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

So many gorgeous photos, they're helping me wait for spring. This year I resolve to label my photos so I know what they are.

Moccasin, nice to meet another Webshots orphan. I still haven't mustered the ambition to start with another site.

• tsbccowboy
    11 years ago

Alligator Shoes
    8/10/12

Adrian's Glory
    8/11/12

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

October 5 a Hosta 'Abba Dabba Wow'. Bernd

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Abiqua Recluse flowers

hh

{{!gwi}}

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

I'll try again, Abiqua Recluse flowers

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Abiqua Recluse w/ Patriot

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

After Myrle sent me some of my pictures of my plants I find I do have some that are looking quite nice enough to share with you all. They seem to have been lost somewhere in this computer so I am now tryiong to be a bit more organized in my files. This is my Abiqua Recluse

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

A few more A's that no one has posted-

Alabama Gold - a Golden Waffles seedling

Alakazaam - 1st year, a cross out of Atom Smasher

Americana - a Loyalist Sport

Aspen Gold - did so-so for a few years, so moved it, now starting to get reestablished

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Paul, I'm jealous of your Alabama Gold and Aspen Gold. I love the bright gold hosta, and those two have not shown me much so far.....but they've been growing here less than one full season. Maybe this coming season I'll see the gold of Alabama Gold. I think I gave it too much shade.

I also have Piedmont Gold, love those golds.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert