Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Screening plants for hosta garden

zkathy z7a NC
9 years ago

I posted this on the fragrant plants forum, but thought I'd give it a try here also.

I've expanded my hosta garden so far that now I need put up some evergreens to screen the neighbor's driveway. I've done my research and I think Chindo Viburnums would work except for one piece of info I can't find on the web. All the descriptions say it is extremely fragrant, but no one says delightfully fragrant.

I don't want to wait until some are blooming to find out as I want to plant now. The flowers look a lot like ligustrum flowers. I hate the smell of ligustrum. So can anyone compare Chindo viburnum to ligustrum and to Osmanthus fragrans? If the Chindos smell sweet I'll go with them, otherwise I'll keep looking.
Thanks for any responses!
Kathy

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

Hi, Kathy. I just read that this species was collected by Raulston who was in NC. And, I think there may be mention of him and it at Plant Delights Nursery.

It seems this gets 12 feet tall and 8 feet wide. The actual fragrance was not mentioned in the two descriptions that I read. It is an early spring bloomer, and is good from zones 7 to 11. Wonder why we never seem to have such a plant growing in Mobile....perhaps it is a dryer air that it likes? It is in the honeysuckle family, which might indicate a sweet fragrance. But, since I never smelled one, I cannot attest to a preference for it.

What I've discovered is a nice thing to do for extending the garden fragrance, is to get a few different jasmines with different blooming times, and focus on night blooming flowers, to keep the night pollinators coming to my garden. Locate them in prominent spots like near the gates in the shade screen, and something fragrant beside Our Lady of Grace arbor. I've also planted flowering vines with varying bloom times along the fence where their colors show off after my star jasmine is finished.

There is a nice book called Fragrant Garden, which I have, but it is packed away. We won't be restored to sanity until after the new year. Maybe by February!

Hope you find out which is the best before investing in a long row of them.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Chindos are cheap but I'm not interested in digging them up if I don't like the smell. I have an acute sense of smell (God's way of making up for my miserable vision). Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not. I've noticed that plants that are touted as "very fragrant" but not "delightfully fragrant" usually stink.

My sister got me an Osmanthus Fragrans for my birthday and I've added two sweet box and another variegated Osmanthus for my new border. Supposedly no hostas are going in the border, but ya never know. I'm amazed at how much like work it's been learning about evergreens. I spend way more time geeking up about hostas and never even notice.

Kathy

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Viburnum awabuki

"Most often, it is listed as a selection of V. odoratissimum, however mature plants have no growth characteristics similar to V. odoratissimum, nor do the crushed leaves have the fowl, feted odor."

There are many references to it as very fragrant with no hint of objectionable odor. The above information on a Viburnum often erroneously associated with Chindo seems to be what you are afraid of. I would guess that crushing some leaves would determine if it is misidentified as a Chindo???

Jon, not an expert by any means, but I love trying to solve little mysteries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum awabuki reference

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jon, those are the ones I'm looking at. I figure thin the woods out a little and plant five of those big boys and I'll never see my neighbor's house from the garden again!

Kathy

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I know the feeling.

Jon

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread Kathy! I need screening plants too and the V. awabuki Jon linked to sounds perfect! I hope we are all able to relax and enjoy our gardens in the not-too-distant future without seeing neighbors! Here is to spring planting! ðÂÂÂ

Cynthia

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spoke to my local garden center owner yesterday and she said she and her husband have been noticing some dieback in their Chindo awabuki viburnums and have noticed it around town also. Also on the gardenweb I've seen comments about it, so it's not as bullet proof as some sellers claim.

However, since this is the hosta forum, I'll show a plant that is Bulletproof, literally and figuratively. Picture taken November 12.

Kathy

This post was edited by zkathy on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 11:51

• User
    9 years ago

Love Bulletproof, Kathy. It is totally tough.
    Here it is in Dec 2012. Awesome unexpected color.
    {{gwi:2131234}}