Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Questions about Streakers

bkay2000
9 years ago

I saw the post this morning about streakers. I'm not sure I really understand their allure. Can someone enlighten me?

What I understand is that they make the best breeders, as more of their seedlings are not just plain green. So, I understand the need in a breeding program. So, do ruffled edged blue streakers (an example) produce ruffled edged blue hosta with white edges sometimes? What I mean by that is do streakers have characteristics that the breeder wants to pass on or they just to add color to a breeding goal?

I also understand they are not very stable and will go all green fairly often. So do people just buy them for their looks, knowing they will have to keep removing the green eyes? Do they look like particularly nice hosta to some folks, say, like I think Manhattan is a particularly nice looking hosta?

I'm just curious.

bk

Comments (44)

• plantbreeder
    9 years ago

Streaked Hosta produce a percentage of streaked seedlings the streaking can be unstable and settle out to a inside or outside variegation
    I do in joy them because each leaf can be different and they can change from year to year so they always keep me looking

This post was edited by plantbreeder on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 14:52

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i think you are asking a rather simple question ... or rather.. looking for a simple answer ... short of a thesis on genetics in the world of hosta ...

if i miss the mark .. try rephrasing your question ... and i will try again ...

if the ultimate goal is a two color plant ... you have to use a streaker... the unstable mother... to introduce the second color ...

prior to that.. you could do all your breeding.. for size.. flower.. shape.. clump size ... etc.. all in one color ... and then you could add the second with the streaker ... and i think this is how a geneticist would go about it ... [that is what ron livingston told me, anyway ... that adding the color is the easiest part of the equation] ... and the reason to do it in green, lets say ... is the vigor is usually higher in single color plants .. so it will be a shorter time span.. to the first flowering of the next generation .. for further crossing ....

back in the day.. if i planted seed around right now... i could have a flowering seedlings by april .... not always ... but it could be done ... so if you could get 2 or 3 generations in one year ... you can really make progress on that goal ....

of course.. most of us dont care on that level ...

and yes.. an easy way to do it.. is to get a streaker.. that is basically your goal... and just grow out seeds of it.. to see if anything unique comes out of it ... based on what pollen you put on it ... or let the bees sex it for you ....

and yes... if i could get my hands on a streaked manhattan ... i would love it for itself ... lol ... in the world of one or two color hosta ... streakers are wwwaaaayyy out there rad ... cool ... i still love them for themselves.. even though i dont grow the seeds off them ...

touche???? .. or did i miss the mark????

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I am growing seedlings right now from open pollinated seeds and seeds from hybridization from streaked mother plants. The very best of those I will keep as mother plants. Last year I placed pollen of large blue ones on a streaked mother plant and got good looking larger streaked plants. Streakers will provide a large percentage of streaked seedlings. I like streaked plants in my garden.

Others use streakers to get new center variegated hostas or variegation on the leaf margin when a streaked hosta stabilizes. Years ago that was the only way to get new variegated hostas. But nowadays new variegated sports can be found during tissue culture Other variegated hostas were created using chemicals.

Please read the messages in the Hosta Seed Growers Forum.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Of course, there are a few streakers which are sterile and don't produce any seed at all....so don't get one of those if you intend to use it for hybridizing!

• User
    9 years ago

And of course, DonR has a LIST for sterile hostas. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Don's Hosta Lists...(look for Sterile Hostas)

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, you about nailed it. I don't do seeds, although I find it fascinating (no basement). I don't think streakers are the most attractive hosta, so that was probably the reason for the question. My list is really long already without any streakers. I found an old list of wants from way back. Actually, I've bought many of them. But you know what they say, "So many hosta, so little time".

I'm also a lazy gardener, so don't want to cull solid color eyes all the time.

Thanks, Bernd. I knew you were really into streakers and would help me understand.

Don, unless I change my mind (which is always possible - I'm female, you know), I won't be doing any hybridizing.

thanks,

bk

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

I understand the "allure" of streakers. They are different, not readily available and I think beautiful, while some would disagree. Bottom line is that if you want to reliably add variegation to a seedling, you need a streaker. Early on it is the coolest thing ever to have streaked seedlings, and if you work at it hard enough, you will have ones comparable to ones you have seen sell for hundreds of dollars. But once you have several hundred of them, you start to look toward different directions. It frustrates me when some people on this forum talk about the only seed worth growing is from streakers. That is true if you are looking solely for variegated seedlings, but there is such a plethora of desirable traits in solids and species plants that if you find a desirable plant in your eyes, any plant can be a breeder. Plus to your question bk, you start with a streaker, the inherent quality of most streakers that are readily available is that one, they are streaked and two that that have nice substance. If you are serious about breeding, I'd go the exact opposite direction. Variegation is easy, start with any streaker and keep the best uniformly streaked plants. Take a streaker, which are primarily early bloomers and add character, that is if you want variegated plants to begin with. I had an epiphany once I had grown thousands of seeds and had hundreds of streakers. I found the named plants in my garden that were actually my favorites, were solids. That is not to say that I don't like the occasional splash of variegation to set it all off, but too many variegated plants in the same bed don't look cohesive to me. Here's an example of a plant with no variegation that I think is a pretty seedling....

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

DB is a great place to start, but there are some pros and cons of DB seedlings. One, they grow REALLY slow. Two, they take a long time to germinate. Three, they don't always show their streaking early, four their flowers are held on short scapes, just about the height of the leaves and held very closely together. Therefore, it can be a challenge to work with. But if you can overcome these difficulties the seedlings are really nice. Rod Keunster andTrudy van Wyk have absolutely amazing stuff from her.They've mastered DB and taken her to another level and if you can find some seed from them on the auctions, I'd highly recommend them. Sucessive generations are generally bigger, faster growing plants. If you want to spread out the flowers and make them easier to work with try adding H. montana genes.

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 8:55

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Once you have variegation, you can add add other characteristics...

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 8:45

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Or maybe, colored pets, that's the fun of it. You can take it any direction you want...

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 8:57

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

More streaked stuff...

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Round and pretty...

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 9:00

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

I just love hosta and creating new ones is even better...

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Another streaked seedling...

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

...but I think solid seedlings can be just as nice...

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Another I think is pretty....

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Bottom line, enjoy creating new hostas.... It's a lot of fun,

• allnitro
    9 years ago

of course I am bias about streaked hosta but, I have been through quite a few hosta gardens with extensive collections, across this country and a well grown streaked hosta will be the stand out plant in those gardens.

• plantbreeder
    9 years ago

Very nice are these all seed you grew from your own plants

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Amazing streaker allnitro!!! Looks like hand painted perfection!

Not sure if you were asking me plantbreeder, but if so, yes these are some of mine. Kind of regret this post, but my point was that streakers are not the only seed worth growing and you do grow seeds from streakers, it can be fun to mix it up a bit :)

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 9:25

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Ahh, it is always a real treat looking at Dan's creations, streakers or solid color! I love especially seeing a streaked broad wavy blueish leaf. Thanks for showing!
    Bernd

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Dan, I don't know why you say you regret your post. It was very interesting and informative. Thank you.

Jon

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Wow!!! dansgrdn and allnitro
    Those are all fabulous! I see the beauty in all hosta with few exceptions. Streakers are just so interesting leaf to leaf.
    I have planted 'Kaleidochrome' and ' Powder Keg'. I am so looking forward to them producing flowers/seeds.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

so to come full circle .. adding your uncle albert post ...

if that flower was your goal ... but you still had that green plant ... the next step to hosta immortality .... would be to add an edge or center color ... [dont even get me started with red.. lol] ...

and you would do that by taking UA pollen to a streaker ... [presuming its fertile] ...

also ... and i will read all the replies some other time ... i am not sure it has been established the flowers come thru TC reliably .... or in the alternative.. where the profit is.. to pay to TC.. and grow them out for 2 or 3 years... until they bloom and prove the flowers came true in the process ...

ken

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Dan, i dont have any streakers in my gardens and wont be hybriding, no place to do that. I do love YOUR creations. I also agree with bk that the streakers i have seen dont always do much for me. Yours are great, keep up the fun work and show us more!

Sherry

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with Sherry. Those are great looking hosta, whether they are streakers or not.

Dan, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure what you regret, but we all enjoyed seeing your creations.

To me, most streakers are kind of like brindle colored animals. There are some real lookers, but most are not, at least to my eye. You guys certainly showed us some nice ones.

Thanks, ken. I got it.

bk

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Bk, I like your brindle analogy. Glad you liked the pics and didn't think I got carried away in sharing a bunch :)

Dan

P.S. Thanks, Jon, Bernd, Sherry and perren.all

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 14:43

• User
    9 years ago

Love every one of the photos above. Not sure about identity of the ruffled non streaked gold above, but I'm a sucker for gold leaves.

I have two or three streakers that I purchased and they are fine with the streaks....well, I was gifted the Sally & Bob and Dorothy Benedict (LOTG) last year, and those streaks are soooo nice. Then I got from Sebright the All Jazzed Up, held its streaks and looked wonderful.

I'm realizing that getting seeds from streakers and seeing what comes of it, that is the least expensive route to add streakers to the garden. I want fragrant streakers, but from what Ken is saying, it would be better to get the solid color with the fragrance first and then add the streaks to that. This year, none of my streaked hosta set seedpods. They were all new arrivals in 2014, except for Stargate, which is effectively sterile.

Today I had an "off day" for the remodel work on my house, so I get the pleasure of spending time with hosta lovers.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

My, oh my Dan, that is some fine work. We should call you "The Steak" (lookit dat, lookit dat). And those solids (needed to rest the eyes, as you say) are great as well.

And Allnitro that is a super plant you've shown us. Is that even striping consistent throughout the plant and year to year?

tj

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, lets call him the "Streak".

Here is a link that might be useful: The streak

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Dan, I was drooling over every one of those pics! Don't stop posting...show us more!

Dan's point is that it take all kinds of hostas to make an interesting and appealing hosta garden and all kinds are worthwhile in a hybridizing program...both variegated and non-variegated alike. It's equally important and rewarding to include both in a hybridizing program. Currently, about one-third of the seed I'm germinating is from streaked breeders, while two-thirds is from solid-colored plants.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Dan. I'm glad you understand my analogy about brindle colored animals. Round and Pretty might be my favorite. But choosing one favorite would be difficult.

You, Don and allnitro should grace us with more of your lovely hosta photos.

bk

• miketropic
    9 years ago

Is the streaker with the purple pets a seedling or registered Dan?

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Mike, yes all of the pics were of seedlings. That one is (Fickle Blue Genes x Troubled Waters) x One Man's Treasure.
    I think working with colored pets is fun too.
    Here's another with purple pets...
    Cranberry Wine x (Neptune x Red October)

Dan

• trudy_gw
    9 years ago

Dan, thanks for the kind words on the seedlings. Hosta seedlings have sure been a fun winter hobby!

Dan and Jeff, wonderful (as Always) seedlings you have shared.

Sharing a 'Dorothy Benedict' F2 OP seedling

Buying seeds from auctions is one of the best ways to get a head start in hosta seed growing.

The AHS Auction is coming up, there will be hosta seeds. If anyone is interested.

• esox48
    9 years ago

Streakers are a lot of fun to play with during the winter. I'm growing quite a few seeds now from Sally and Bob.

{{gwi:2131458}}

This is one of my favorite hostas in my yard. It definitely stands out and is about 65 inches across. I rarely have to remove a green eye but did yank one out last fall and threw it in the yard waste pile. After a few days, I decided the green eye looked pretty nice so I planted it. All the leaves petered out in a short time, but a new one started coming up. So I expect to see it this spring....big, corrugated and green.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Coming in late, as usual. I have a couple streaked hostas, and I bought them just because I thought they were different and rather pretty. Gunther's Prize is sterile (as far as I know), but it's sure a standout in the garden. Yeah, the watching for solid green eyes is a pain, but I have other variegated hostas with the same problem.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Dan that big streaked one, 4 posts up, with the white streaks in the center, what are the crosses for that? Or is it a named hosta?

Edited - I posted this before I saw the entire post. LOL didn't see any of the photos above that one hosta 4 posts up. Guess my phone didn't load them. all your seedlings are amazing!

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 13:52

• User
    9 years ago

Esox, isn't Sally And Bob wonderful? I did not have blooms on mine this summer. Hopefully next year there will be some. Also, Dorothy Benedict, both being gifts last year from LOTG

• esox48
    9 years ago

Moccasin....Sally and Bob will bloom for you. I had over 100 pods from the plant I showed. It sets pods pretty easily.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Dansgarden gave me seed for my birthday and I must have done something totally wrong and lost them all I was so looking forward to growing some of his lovely seed but blew it. So terrible sad and sorry Dan. I have grown loads of just nobody seed in my garden the past two years and the ones I treasured the most from him I managed to kill. Maybe another year under my thumb and will be able to try again , if given the chance. Beautiful streakers everyone and thanks for the privilege to view.
    Faye

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

"I just love hosta and creating new ones is even better..."

It shows, Dan, it shows.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Happy new year!
    You can easily create your own streakers from seeds, like I am doing right now. I could not hybridize this summer, but have open pollinated seedlings growing now in my basement from own h. 'Dorothy Benedict' and 'Topo Gigio' seedlings. My seedlings from Dan's, Trudy's and Jeff Miller's (LOTG) seeds sleep under a little snow outside. Tomorrow night it will be -8 dgrs.

I am also growing seedlings from seeds I bought from Doug Beilstein, from a Hosta Seed Grower's auction (Trudy Van Wyk), and received from Jeff Miller (LOTG). I just did a cull, got rid of most greenies. In my basement in 4 trays I have now seedlings from 18 different streaked hybrids. That is a lot of fun. Most hosta seed growers have many many more than I have.

The biggest fun was when I dropped one tray and then had to recover all spilled seeds and seedlings out of the mess of seed starting medium. Ha, but that went well!

This Saturday, January 10, is another auction by the AHS starting, which also will have hosta seeds.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 9:07