Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahaveum

The Bigest Hosta clump on Earth ???

16 years ago

Hi All ; After fixating & obsessing & wiping my chin , over Papous Sum & Substance , post I was wondering what the biggest clump you ever saw was like? I am not talking XL cultivar but I wonder who owns "THE BIGGEST" hosta ever known to man..... and what do they feed it? Was there ever a contest like the biggest pumpkin, for hostas? Besides some 10 year old undulutas , I have mostly plants from the last 2 years . Seeing all the mature ones in others pix is so great shows me what to look forward to! Thanks Dot

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i have heard of no claim beyond the picture of van wades S&S pictured in another post ...

and he used a dead possum .. as i recall ...

ken

PS: and semi trucks filled with osmocote ... the man does fertilize ...

PPS: and has his antique tractor sucking Ohio river water out via a 6 inch pipe ... trying to drown the things... and only God knows what is in that water ... OH is farm country ....

• 16 years ago

Van Wade's Sum & Substance, as shown by Papou, is widely known as the largest clump in the world. We've been told it was planted into an extremely large hole, totally amended with pure compost and aged manure along with a ground hog.

I asked Zilis if there were not larger clumps, say in Japan where they're native. He said no, they tend to consume themselves, and in the wild are not pampered like they are here.

• 16 years ago

Hi Dot,

I've never heard of such a contest, but it sure would be fun!!! Especially since I'm a fan of humungous hostas! I like 'em all, but for me, the BIGGER the better! I just think they are so impressive when they get to that size and just stand out in the landscape.
    As you know, all gardens are in a state of change, and this is true of each hosta plant also. Some hosta clumps increase in size, some are just maintaining their own, and some may be diminishing in size due to a variety of factors. What that means is that someone out there may be growing a record breaker, but next summer it would most likely be beaten by another hosta in someone else's garden.
    In years past, Van Wade claimed to have perhaps one of the largest clumps at the time, with an enormous Sum and Substance (1993). It was 9 1/2 ft. across. You can see some photos of it in his big catalog, pages 393 and 470. That's one BIG hosta.
    I'd love to see some more photos of huge hostas. Below are a few hosta pics that I've collected from various web sites over the years that you may enjoy looking at during these winter months :) Don

Some mature hosta clumps...
    {{gwi:1104932}}

Huge leaves...
    {{gwi:1104933}}

Huge blue hosta...
    {{gwi:1104934}}

For starters, if you want a huge hosta, you have to begin with a cultivar that gets BIG!!! Blue Mouse Ears will never get big no matter how long you grow it, where you plant it, or how you fertilize and water it!
    {{gwi:1104935}}

Start with those hosta cultivars on my list of VERY LARGE HOSTAS, like Sum and Substance...
    {{gwi:1104936}}

Two nice clumps of Sum and Substance which make quite a statement at the front entry of this home...
    {{gwi:1104937}}

Mr. Big is said to be one of the largest cultivars available, but it's slow growing at first and requires faithful watering. Look at the size that this clump is becoming ...
    {{gwi:1104938}}

A leaf on Mr. Big...
    {{gwi:1104941}}

A newer cultivar, Jurassic Park, which is reported to get very large...
    {{gwi:1104943}}

A huge leaf on Jurassic Park...
    {{gwi:1104945}}

Here are some tips I've given folks who are wanting to GROW THEM BIG: (1) Select a cultivar that gets BIG. (2) Prepare the planting site well. Better to expend extra time and work before planting than cutting corners and regretting it later. (3) Allow enough room for good growth over an extended period of time. Visualize how humungous this thing will become (hopefully), and plan accordingly. (4) Provide adequate sunlight. Hostas will usually take more sun than what most people think, and will get to that remarkable size a lot faster if given ample sunlight to do so. (5) Prevent root competation. Those aggressive tree roots will squelch every effort that plant makes to increase. (6) Mulch and fertilize, applying liberal amounts of compost during the summer around the drip line to build up the soil and conserve water. (7) WATER, WATER, WATER!!! Particularly in dry spells.

The real key is WATER, WATER, WATER!!! Get everyone involved!
    {{gwi:1104946}}

• 16 years ago

I've seen Van Wades S&S in person,and it is huge,but he also has the largest Patriot hosta I've ever seen! I've shown this before,but some newbies may not have seen it.
    {{gwi:1104947}}

• 16 years ago

OH WOW! Thanks everyone you made my day ! Ok I have everything needed except the Ohio farm runoff water. I will use Yo! Joisey water, we have lots of stuff in our water too. Legend has it the N.J. Pinelands are the "planting grounds" for those who disappointed the Wiseguys in N.Y.C. Water & soil should be pretty good stuff. Now off to catch me a possum ..have plenty of them too !

• 16 years ago

I have a chipmunk in my greenhouse. I wonder if he would help the compost. Those are something to dream about. (grin)I am getting hooked on the hostas........Thanks for the pictures

• 16 years ago

I have a pic of Sum Total...not in my garden however:

{{gwi:1104948}}

Also I copied a pic of Elatior...another huge hosta:

{{gwi:1104950}}

Papou

• 16 years ago

This picture always made me laugh. It's Ryans Big One found somewhere or other.

• 16 years ago

Another chuckle . . .

{{gwi:1104954}}

• 16 years ago

pappy ...

that elatior doesn't look right to me .... but then it looks severely damaged .. maybe some hail ...

anyway.. here is mine... two pix ... i am going to have to clean up the hard drive... because i think i have better pix ...

both are elatior .... and on the second picture .. note that it is mid may [very early in my zone 5] .. it doubled in size over the summer ... the petioles are 36 to 48 inches long ....ken

{{gwi:1056390}}

{{gwi:1084379}}

• 16 years ago

That picure of Ken's Elatior is not representative. I was going to post a picture of I have of last June, but I forgot you can't do that here (no time for Photobucket). You have some others that are bigger, no?

The other question that could be asked is how tall? Empress Wu is supposed to be it. Clarence Owens has a seedling of Elatior x High Noon that has to be close to four feet tall. One can sit under it and have it not touch your head. It is amazing. The leaves on Big John can be 18" wide. Cylops may be even bigger and only a four or five years old.

Jerry

• 16 years ago

what jerry MEANT TO say ...

it is elatior .. he has better pix of my plant .. and he cant do it from work ... his verbage makes it sound like he is insulting me... he will have to buy me lunch for that ...

talk about a cushy job.. he works 3 miles from me .. or worse.. my plant .... lol ... and when he gets in a work funk ... he brings lunch over and oogles hosta for an hour or so ...

as i said... i have pix all over the hard drive.. and in the dullness of winter .. i will track them down ...

ken

• 14 years ago

i have a jurassic park hosta i planted last year in june . i live in ohio and i have yet to see it coming up yet . anyone have the hosta and if so can u tell me what to expect . i am realley excited . thanks daniel

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus