Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Hostas with big puckers

donrawson
14 years ago

Hostas with very large and intense puckers, especially if they have contorted leaves, I find particularly attractive. How about you?

Here are a few:

Big Puck A hosta Fantastic hybrid. (Apparently, Fantastic passes this trait on to its progeny.) Van Wade writes in his catalog, "This hosta has the largest puckers between its veins that I have ever seen..." Please note: Zilis lists this one as 'Big Puk'.

Fantastic. I think this one truly is fantastic! The MyHostas Database says, "This H. sieboldiana hybrid is highly regarded for its incredibly twisted, corrugated pebbled leaves of thick blue grey. If you are looking for a specimen hosta that will make folks stop and take note...this is it!" Zilis writes, "Fantastic rates highly for thick substance, good blue-green color and attractive corrugation but its unruliness at maturity is number one", The Hostapedia, page 284. Fantastic is the pod parent of Big Puck and Steve Moldovan.

a pic of my Fantastic.

Iroquois Wade writes, "Large blue-green leaves with intensely large puckers. Probably has the most and largest puckers and pebbling of any hosta we know!"

Mona Lisa A Dick & Jane Ward plant of unknown origin registered in 2005. Zilis writes, "A large mound of roundish, heavily corrugated blue-green foliage...many seed pods", The Hostapedia, page 630. Probably a good breeder, producing offspring like Mona Lisa's Child.

{{gwi:1105160}} Looks like it will be a real beauty!

Most folks have never encountered any of the Osiris Gardens introductions. (None of them are even listed in The Hostapedia!) Osiris Obscur really is very different...a large hosta with large, green, heart-shaped cascading leaves. The most unusual characteristic is the size of the puckers...some are at least as big as a nickel! (There are at least 13 hostas introduced by Osiris Gardens, but none are registered or pictured on the Hosta Library.)

Spinach Patch Not as intensely corrugated as the others listed here, but quite contorted. Similar to Black Beauty.

Twisted Sister Zilis writes, "Twisted Sister is another great plant from Kevin Vaughn. Over the course of more than twenty years, Kevin developed some of the finest hosta introductions known to the hosta world, and this is no exception. Its beautifully corrugated and cupped foliage offers great durability and slug resistance, making it a great choice as a specimen plant for the shade garden", The Hostapedia, page 972.

Website I'm not too familiar with this one...in fact, I've never personally seen it. Website is a hybrid of Love Pat X Puckered Giant, introduced by Loleta Powell and registered in 1999. The description in the 2000 Powell Gardens catalog says, "Unbelievably pebbled medium-green leaves deftly displayed...$125". Zilis writes, "Its incredible corrugation, unruly character and very thick substance make 'Website' a cultivar worth growing. It was registered as having light green foliage, but it actually exhibits a beautiful rich blue color into mid-July. With all of its positive genetic traits and the large number of seed pods, 'Website' would be a good plant to include in a breeding program," The Hostapedia, page 1007.

Do you grow any of these which are listed? Are there other cultivars which exhibit extremely large corrugation?

Comments (9)

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry Don, I'm not going to be any help and unfortunately (hmmm... is that the right word ;)) you are not helping me either. ... or are you... LOL. I just love Fantastic and Iroquois, they look so prehistoric don't they. Adding those and Mona Lisa Child to my wish list.

Alexis

• roblksd
    14 years ago

One small plant that is not on your list of puckered plants but is very puckered in my garden is H. Goober. It also passes on some unusual genetics. One that I got last year that is on your list that looks unruly as a young plant is Celebration of Angels. I will enjoy watching this one mature.

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

I agree, I love the intensely corrugated, unruly ones too. I have Spinach Patch and really like it.
    Only problem I've found with any heavily corrugated hosta is that they collect a lot of tree debris, etc. Also really hard to get bird poop off of them for picture taking.

• sidney1515
    14 years ago

Don. . here's my Spinach Leaf. Boy. . I think of spinach salad every time I walk past her, too. I included a close up of her.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, Sidney...you've sold me on that one! A real beauty...I love the round leaves too!

• sidney1515
    14 years ago

Yeah. .she's not just another green hosta. .IMHO she holds her own in the crowd, too. AND when my honey mows he gets a bit careless sometimes.. . SP can take a licking and keep right on ticking. . even the slugs leave her alone. . lol She gets her share of attention because her spinach like appearance.

I have some Website seedlings but not sure if I took pictures of them last year. I had a lot of family obligations and my garden suffered a bit. I'm just now sorting out pictures. I do have a couple Northern Mist seedlings that are a couple years old and showing a lot of rough stuff. They are streaked and misty in the spring so I am keeping them around to see what they do with all that roughness. I might have pictures of them, too.

I could probably get into trouble with those links you posted. . . I love puckery hostas! :)

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

What a great thread. They are all wonderful. Have you seen Crinkles Clink? It's on the library.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    14 years ago

I think the mature Big Daddy belongs in this list. The MyHostas database also lists an offspring of Big Daddy named "Tucker Pucker." But it does not appear in the Hosta Library. Does anyone know anything about it?

Steve

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sidney,
    We'd love to see some pics of Website, and of your Website seedlings.

Mctavish,
    I haven't seen Crinkles Clink. Thanks for bringing it to my attention...one VERY COOL hosta! It's going straight onto my wish list. Here's a link.

Steve,
    I can't find any pics of Tucker Pucker. There's a registration sheet for it on the AHS Registry site, and an entry in the Lemke and MyHosta Database. Zilis has a description of it in The Hostapedia also (page 968). I'll write to the introducer to see if he has some photos of it.