Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Art and Hosta

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 12:53

How are YOU combining the two ? I have always been a little driven to make and paint things. Sometimes I go a LONG time between projects..often I am buried under half done ones..

I have not combined art with the Hosta much, but I have recently been painting rc airplane pilots, and in a general painting mood.So I dug out my ceramic paints and have been dabbling in that again. I am not sure what road I will head down while I play with the ceramics...

I wouldn't mind seeing any art out there even if its a repeat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Art and Hosta

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gardart/msg11211449586.html?26

These are my last-winters garden art project, posted in the Garden Art forum. I would love to see what you paint.

o

Unbiddenn, your stepping stones are beautiful! You have a great talent. My favorite? So hard to pick from so many lovely ones---perhaps string, freeform? I would love to have those in my garden.

o

Unbidden, those are really nice. Thanks for sharing.

bk

o

Holey cow, the first thing posted is so good I hardly know what to say ! But great job.. you can really show your own way of seeing things in your work, I am terrible in over all composition ..you don't have that problem.

o

Beautiful work, Unbidden!

o

Unbidden, I haven't finished this quite yet..it is Ceramic underlay glaze over the unfired greenware.. so the colors showing will DRAMATICALLY change once it is fired.. then you brush on glase and refire it for the glassy clear surface/finish.

I don't do much ceramics, but I do paint other things fairly often.

photo IMG_3855_zps907a8acc.jpg

o
RE: Art and hosta

I have a friend who does ceramics and I never grasped colors that change under firing. It's a miracle to me, paint something muddy brown and it comes out red. I admire the patience you must have to clean the green ware, perfectly and trust in something so changeable as heat to deliver your vision. I can't wait to see it your end photos, it in brilliant color. Yeah!!

o

For some reason I was painting Christmas decorations today, some are a plaster type to hang on the tree.. Others are some laser cut buildings.. Those are flat thin plywood and you paint in the details as you wish. I am going to get to that gourd YET ! and I think I will paint Hosta leaves all over it...

o

Well I took a garden gnome, and the mountain man in to be fired.. then I will have to do the clear glaze and have them fired one more time. Fingers crossed..
Are slugs afraid of gnomes?

o

Does this count? This is the best I got...Leaves from Paul's Glory, Dick Ward, Big Daddy, Aspen Gold, Cathedral Windows, Spartacus, Fortunei Aureomarginata, Spring Fling, Atlantis and Royal Tapestry, with a flower stalk from Guacamole. 'Art'fully arranged in a vase.

Don B.

o

I keep hoping that one of the talented photographers on this forum will go into business. I have seen many photos, especially leaf close-ups, that would look beautiful framed and on my wall. Or made into one of those photo canvases.

My photography skills have never given me a picture good enough to frame. Although I guess part of that, is you have to have the beautiful hosta in your garden to photograph.

o

I bought a sort of flatish vase that I intend to paint some Hosta leaf onto... I like the pic Don B ! It amazes me how long Hosta leaves look nice in a vase....

o

I changed the water several times, Leafwatcher, but these leaves looked great and fresh for almost three weeks!

Thanks,
Don B.

o

Here is the Gnome for the Hosta garden , not fired yet..just underglazed.
 photo IMG_3858_zps88d5428c.jpg

And here is the vase I am going to try and paint/glaze some Hosta leaves on..

photo IMG_3859_zps4528ec10.jpg

o

Some great inspiration here for those of us who are less inclined to be creative. I especially like that gnome - pretty cool looking dude!

Don - in your artful arrangement of leaves (which I could aspire to) what is the shiny one at 7:00?

Jan

o

Jan, I do believe you're referring to 'Cathedral Windows'. : )

Don B.

o

Can't wait to see what that gnome will look like when you fire it, LW...

Don B.

o

I have NO IDEA what this will end up as, But I HAVE started it.. Its sort of a new thing for me to paint, and the ungerglazing can be a little bit of a guess work. But this is where I am as of now....I just work on it here and there..

photo IMG_3864_zps6af126f1.jpg

photo IMG_3863_zpsa8f4c365.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here