Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Art and Hosta

leafwatcher
10 years ago

How are YOU combining the two ? I have always been a little driven to make and paint things. Sometimes I go a LONG time between projects..often I am buried under half done ones..

I have not combined art with the Hosta much, but I have recently been painting rc airplane pilots, and in a general painting mood.So I dug out my ceramic paints and have been dabbling in that again. I am not sure what road I will head down while I play with the ceramics...

I wouldn't mind seeing any art out there even if its a repeat.

Comments (18)

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gardart/msg11211449586.html?26

These are my last-winters garden art project, posted in the Garden Art forum. I would love to see what you paint.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Unbiddenn, your stepping stones are beautiful! You have a great talent. My favorite? So hard to pick from so many lovely ones---perhaps string, freeform? I would love to have those in my garden.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Unbidden, those are really nice. Thanks for sharing.

bk

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holey cow, the first thing posted is so good I hardly know what to say ! But great job.. you can really show your own way of seeing things in your work, I am terrible in over all composition ..you don't have that problem.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Beautiful work, Unbidden!

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unbidden, I haven't finished this quite yet..it is Ceramic underlay glaze over the unfired greenware.. so the colors showing will DRAMATICALLY change once it is fired.. then you brush on glase and refire it for the glassy clear surface/finish.

I don't do much ceramics, but I do paint other things fairly often.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

I have a friend who does ceramics and I never grasped colors that change under firing. It's a miracle to me, paint something muddy brown and it comes out red. I admire the patience you must have to clean the green ware, perfectly and trust in something so changeable as heat to deliver your vision. I can't wait to see it your end photos, it in brilliant color. Yeah!!

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For some reason I was painting Christmas decorations today, some are a plaster type to hang on the tree.. Others are some laser cut buildings.. Those are flat thin plywood and you paint in the details as you wish. I am going to get to that gourd YET ! and I think I will paint Hosta leaves all over it...

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I took a garden gnome, and the mountain man in to be fired.. then I will have to do the clear glaze and have them fired one more time. Fingers crossed..
    Are slugs afraid of gnomes?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Does this count? This is the best I got...Leaves from Paul's Glory, Dick Ward, Big Daddy, Aspen Gold, Cathedral Windows, Spartacus, Fortunei Aureomarginata, Spring Fling, Atlantis and Royal Tapestry, with a flower stalk from Guacamole. 'Art'fully arranged in a vase.

Don B.

• jamie81
    10 years ago

I keep hoping that one of the talented photographers on this forum will go into business. I have seen many photos, especially leaf close-ups, that would look beautiful framed and on my wall. Or made into one of those photo canvases.

My photography skills have never given me a picture good enough to frame. Although I guess part of that, is you have to have the beautiful hosta in your garden to photograph.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought a sort of flatish vase that I intend to paint some Hosta leaf onto... I like the pic Don B ! It amazes me how long Hosta leaves look nice in a vase....

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I changed the water several times, Leafwatcher, but these leaves looked great and fresh for almost three weeks!

Thanks,
    Don B.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the Gnome for the Hosta garden , not fired yet..just underglazed.

And here is the vase I am going to try and paint/glaze some Hosta leaves on..

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Some great inspiration here for those of us who are less inclined to be creative. I especially like that gnome - pretty cool looking dude!

Don - in your artful arrangement of leaves (which I could aspire to) what is the shiny one at 7:00?

Jan

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Jan, I do believe you're referring to 'Cathedral Windows'. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see what that gnome will look like when you fire it, LW...

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have NO IDEA what this will end up as, But I HAVE started it.. Its sort of a new thing for me to paint, and the ungerglazing can be a little bit of a guess work. But this is where I am as of now....I just work on it here and there..