Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

GH in the basement crazy idea

bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

As most of you know i have this tendency to be a little loopy. Anyway, i am thinking about getting a 6x8 harbor freight greenhouse, and setting it up in ... The basement. Basement is unfinished but has a concrete floor. I am thinking light and warmth are nominal issues. Thoughts?

Dave

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what are you trying to accomplish with such ... if light and heat are a nominal issue???

sounds like about 300 bucks...

and then another 300 for lights and plant stand wood ...

if you build shelving to hold trays and lights.. you can tent it with thin plastic for pennies ... and the lights will generate heat ... it will be enclosed... to increase humidity .. etc .. then you have your basic culture.. heat.. light.. humidity ....

besides feeding your inner loon .. lol ... what is the goal that this accomplishes???

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the only hail it will have to weather is the hail of criticism. If I put it in the yard ⦠well, it's just another area of the yard. Plus having it in the basement will make the neighbors â¦and the 'authorities' ... wonder what I'm growing.

Plus the floor is already level. And i plan to put it up at least 10-12 inches to give tall guy here some extra headroom on the sides.

I want it for the yard, but am less apt to get carp from the better half if I put it in the basement.

Plus, when I drop stuff as I'm making it, it will be easier to find on the basement floor than on the grass, unless I lay down plastic â¦

As I said, it is a wild hair. Now just have to decide which corner of my 20x63 basement to put it in ⦠or not

9 years ago

I want it for the yard, but am less apt to get carp from the better half if I put it in the basement.

==>> touche .... lol

by all means.. best idea i ever heard ...

air movement might be an issue.... as it usually is.. indoors ... or in this case 'double dutch' indoors ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I've read this twice or three times and I still don't get it. What are you going to grow in this greenhouse in the basement with artificial light and a heater?

bk

9 years ago

he is going to sit in it ... and be happy ... until he can move it outdoors .. while momma is ok with buying it for the basement ...

jeez bkay .... lol

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

zackerly!!!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh!

Sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake.

bk

9 years ago

oh i doubt it bkay ...

you just werent 'in tune' with a guy who wants to sit in the basement in a greenhouse all winter ... lol

took me a bit to figure it out also ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

I am censoring this before my DH sees it and thinks he can put it in my Teahouse....we don't HAVE a basement.

BKay, it is GUY SPEAK. No wonder we are confused.
    he he he he

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Do it, Dave, do it! Or get REALLY crazy and...

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Here is my greenhouse in the basement, that is two shelves carrying 2 trays with seeds/seedlings each. That was before I just dropped and emptied one tray on the floor mixing up everything. Lets hope my great Christmas improves.
    Bernd

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the lovely aroma of bacon wafts upward thru the house from the basement greenhouse, cleverly equipped with a coleman stove

dave

This post was edited by bragu on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 14:00

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mmmmmm

to the nationwide advertising jingle

crispy bacon tastes so good â¦.

9 years ago

i am waiting for pix of your GH ... and you sitting in it ...

wife and 12 yo son went veggie at new years ... you know what that means????/

MORE BACON FOR ME ... lol ... i got all their shares yesterday ...

making ribs today .... you know what that means??? ..... MORE RIBS FOR ME ... lol

changing the subject a bit.. cant wait for steak .. you know what that means... MORE BEEF FOR ME ...

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mmmmmm ⦠donut say that â¦

bacon wrapped ribs, bacon enshrouded beef

homer

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Found a recipe for Piggy Brittle the other day. Basically, Peanut Brittle with crispy bacon in it. Yum....

Don, that "greenhouse" photo....o.m.g.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Found this at the store this week.

The ultimate.....

Bacon Sausage

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacon Sausage