Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Hosta

Posted by florida_wannabe Kansas (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 26, 06 at 13:14

I have about 6-7 clumps of Hosta that I want to move to the West side of my house (with an overhang to protect) because the Summer sun cooks them on East side (no protection at all).
When is the best time to do this in Zone 5 and how is the best way to do this?
I believe the species is a "francia ???" maybe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Hosta

no such species... an old name for hosta .. incorrect by the way is funkia ... regardless ....

as soon as the soil is workable in spring... or in mid summer... when you have something to grab hold of.. or late summer... or early fall ... OR WHENEVER YOU WANT .. they are hosta.. they wont care .... just water well afterwards ...

there is a FAQ on moving mature hosta ..... if you need specifics ....

i cant say i have tried doing it this time of year .... but if the soil is diggable.. and they are big enough clumps that they wont heave ... you can probably do it now ....

you would be hard pressed to kill an old green hosta .... so knock yourself out...

try the hosta library and look up lancifolia ... as a complete stab in the dark as to what you have ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: lie-berry

o

Try H.'Francee'
Move them anytime you want, just mulch heavily.

o
RE: Transplanting

PS Summer burns all hosta unless you water heavily.

o

Yep, thats it..Francee. Thanks!!!
I think I will wait until early to mid March then. But the burning only occurs on the 5-6 bunches that get straight on sun for hours. The 1-2 clumps that do not get hard sun are completly unburned and hold the green color w/ white border year round until the Winter. Therefore I want to move all of them and I have a great spot for them.
Thanks a million.

o

I have a lot of hostas of various colors and I want to move some to another spot. Can I do it now in Western North Carolina?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here