Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Early Riser

bkay2000
9 years ago

I was cleaning up the dead leaves in some of the pots today and found this.

It's been warm for a couple of weeks. It's supposed to get cold again this weekend.

Any Suggestions?

bk

Comments (10)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Oh no, it thinks it's spring!!! Uh oh! ð³
    What will be interesting is its emergence in the "real spring" in your area.

I think it is Phil saying, howdy folks, just to let you know I'm fine up here.
    I believe that there is always a sign after someone passes. ðÂÂÂ

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

define your version of it getting cold ...

you might just put a box over it ... ground heat will keep it from freezing ...

and frankly ... short of the tissue freezing solid ... i doubt you have mush to worry about ... lol.. great typo ....

but it surely isnt the season to throw it on the driveway ... lol ...

ken

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A lady who works for me said we were getting a front this weekend. I just checked. It's not a cold front, but that really wet, windy storm coming in from California. We definitely need rain. But it's not going to be cold.

The hosta haven't been down for 45 days. This may be why Aphrodite didn't do well for me in a pot. They did fine at the Arboretum, except they are in too much sun. They are in full sun, but in the ground. Most of the ones that were really Aphrodite didn't open. The ones that were plantaginea scorched, but bloomed.

Hmmm. Well, there's not much I can do about it, other than mulch it.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

We haven't been below the mid-fifties here, and my Touch of Class still hasn't gone dormant, and I have some new green shoots just like yours on several others. So far this winter is warmer than normal in December. It is what it is for those of us living on the edges.

Yes the California rain is warm. We are glad to have it, (just put on a new roof and happy to be dry) but I wish it was dropping more snow in the higher elevations which is where our water comes from in summer.

Just move that pot to the coolest place you got.

Then discover Tuac hot apple pie cocktail. Then you won't care.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Gotta look for that cocktail, Babka. I need something to make me not care for a while.

I noticed a bud on the fig tree today. Our friend came over this morning to leaf blow the hosta garden for me, to help clear out any pecan web worm larva hiding in the litter. It looks better, and helps my guilty conscience for not working back there since the remodel began. I sanded a heavy louvered cypress door for 3 days so far. I got tired of promising and not clearing out the garden....raking it was not an option. We had only an electric leaf blower, and outlets are in short supply with power cords running everywhere. I feel lots better now that it is done. Never saw so many leaves in the garden before.

I will ring two of the pecans to kill them. That should stop a lot of the webworms....which will kill the pecans if not controlled....and what an ugly death that would be.

We have our new roof onthe whole house, so bring on the rain. But watch out for roofing nails, we are still finding them in the grass. Guess I better check the weather forecast.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A friend started a fig for me. I left it in the pot all summer. I planted it on the in parkway in October. Some miscreant pulled it up and put it across the street in the median one night. I retrieved the plant and put it back in the ground, believing it was dead, as it froze the night it was pulled up. It has a green bud on top.

Yes!!!! Evil does not always win!

bk

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 10:11

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

The liquor that goes into the 'hot apple pie' cocktail is Tuaca (apple liquor) I spelled it wrong. sorry. Link attached. Don't forget the whipped cream on top.

Mocc- Our roofer went around the house with a long stick that had a two foot long magnet on the end to pick up those strays. Even so, while raking leaves I came across several roofing nails.

Bkay- That fig is meant to grow for you. Hooray!

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot apple Pie Cocktail

• User
    9 years ago

Babka, when you google it according to your first spelling, it gets spelled out with the "a" at the end. In some places it referred to it simply as "Tuac" so you used the vernacular form. Do not know if they sell it in AL, but will try to find it for the holidays.

Fig trees can be quite tolerant of upheaval. My DH says his dad had a fig tree up in MA that he would dig up each winter when it went dormant, wrap the ball in burlap, and winter it in the basement with the carrots and onions and apples and no telling what else in I think it was sawdust? Or sand? I don't recall that bit of info. But each spring it was put in the ground again.

The old orangeries with potted citrus trees are something I understand better. Potted and on a rolling stand, in and out of protection and pretty in the winter. My cumquat bushes are loaded with fruit this time of year, the Meyer lemon is new and only has one lemon on it, the spring freeze we had made it drop all its blossoms. The tree itself is fine. Try one of the Meyer lemon trees, BK. They are fine to grow.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think they will grow here. I'll have to check.

bk