Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

$20 online membership at AHS

Babka NorCal 9b
10 years ago

I've been a member of the American Hosta Society for years, and will soon be cleaning out all my previous printed Journals...running out of space. I just now got around to renewing my membership. The online edition of the Hosta Journal has vastly improved over the years.

So, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I could get an "e-membership" for just $20, and I could still be able to see all those beautiful hosta photos on a big monitor, and read the latest and greatest hosta information available.

-Babka

Comments (14)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I just joined.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Babka, I had just bought 16 older Hosta Journals. I found interesting articles, which would have solved some arguments we had here. I like to have several Hosta Journals in my car to read when I have to wait somewhere, like yesterday 3 1/2 hours at a Toyota service shop. When reading mine a second time I will make a list of interesting items for later lookup. When you want to get rid of your old Journals, perhaps you could send me all I do not have with me paying you for it?
    Bernd

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

Bernd-I do not know if you are aware, but you can get all the issues on a DVD from 1969 to 2012

The Hosta Journal DVD

The AHS has compiled a two DVD set of all the Printed Hosta Journals and Bulletins from 1969 through 2012.

Cost is $59.95 for continental US. For additional shipping costs to all other areas, please contact Barbara Schroeder.

Make checks payable to The American Hosta Society (AHS) (check drawn on a US bank or money order payable in US Funds) and mail to:

Barbara Schroeder
    1819 Coventry Dr.
    Champaign, IL 61822

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Journals on DVD

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bernd-

Your page has no e-mail option. Please send me a list of what you already have.

-Babka

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Babka, thank you for your offer, I sent you an Email with a list of the ones I have, 20 total. I also enabled Email in my GW account .

Smith, I had not read down to the DVD offer, was not looking for it. But I had ordered and received 16 older (paper) Journals from Mrs. Schroeder, all she had left. My problem is that I can not sit in my car, in a comfortable recliner at home or when waiting elsewhere with my PC and the files of that DVD. I also have no Ipad or electronic reader, do not plan to buy either. So I enjoy reading paper copies.
    Thanks for your comments!
    Bernd

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Done.ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ

-Babka

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reminders. Another winter project-join the American Hosta Society-completed.
    Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

Berndny, sooner or later that Grandson of yours will drag you into the 21st century with some tiny storage medium...like a SDHC card which can plug into most any tablet.....and they can store up to 64gig these days, probably more, but my experience stops at 64.

I think a lot of folks avoid the paper copy thing these days because of space considerations. I'm a hybrid because I cannot break the paper habit, yet love the convenience of full sets in e-formats.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Moccasin, thankfully I am getting a lot of Journals from Babka, so I am set to sit in a comfortable recliner and read all those Journals, my 20 included, several times. I will still read the electronic Journals each winter on my PC. In case you buy a DVD from the AHS, note that there are interesting articles in all those Journals, perhaps there is a Search function available. Bernd

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

So I joined the AHS a few days ago and have not recived a password for the members only section yet, is this because of the holidays or should I contact them?

P.S. Happy new year folks!

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

mountainy_man,

I just joined recently too.I wrote them and they said it takes about 2 weeks to get the password and a welcome packet.

I got mine in the snail mail last week.So it is probably on it's way to you.

10 years ago

Thanks Stoc,
    They should say this in the welcome email, thanks for letting me know.

Whats in the welcome packet?

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

I thought the same thing.

A magazine and info about what is included and a coupon for 15 bucks for a Hosta nursery.The only one in Europe is Bali hai--is that how you spell it?

10 years ago

Ah good stuff, Ya Bali-Hai, got my first order from Ian, very small plants but good and healthy, $15 = 10.90 euros, nice must have a look at his site again, thanks.

The list for my Van den Top spring order keeps growing this forum is going to bankrupt me lol.