Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

ABC look at me

Just a reminder that the Hosta ABC 2013 will start the day after Christmas Dec 26. So incase you do not get what you wanted for Christmas you will know what to order for the spring pre-sales to make up for it. Post your photos and add to your wish list. Happy Holidays Paula

Comments (11)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

drop

• User
    10 years ago

OH YEAH!
    Paula, I liked Georgia Sweetheart when I got it too. It had a sweet orange look to it. Or maybe that should be PEACHY, but not a color I associate with HOSTA.

For those who need to see companions to make a comparison of color, size, or variegation, this photo taken in May 2013 should help. A gorgeous trio of youngsters.

Thanks, Paula. Well said.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Bumpity-Bump...Three days to go!

Mocc, the colors of your hosta trio are extremely soothing to the eyes. Thanks for the pic.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Nice photo.Great grouping. I only have Brother Stephan. It was damaged in last spring's erratic temperatures. I'm hoping it has recovered.

bk

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

So I just realized,

I will be missing the first couple of letters (A B C) since I'm traveling home to my Mother's this year for the Holidays.

Naturally, I have all my pics saved on my desktop and cannot justify lugging this 40 pound hunk of metal home with me just to post.

So have fun getting started everyone and I'll seeya when I get back. :)

Ludi

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

It doesn't matter to me ..but maybe each letter should be allowed 2 days before moving on to the next? That way a better collection can be posted, and it will take us much closer to spring..
    Just an idea ...

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

+1 to Leafwatcher

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

It will be my first Alphabet...excited...but what a great idea, leaf watcher.....it will prolong the game somewhat to get us through the dreariest days....and for those who work for a living ... They will have more time to post as well?...worth considering?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a good idea...But I never knew there was a time limit on adding to each letter thread. If I was posting a hosta with the letter 'A' on that respective thread, and the thread for letter 'B' was already created, what's the issue? I just added to both!

Also, with respect to when someone 'beats' you; i.e. You have a nice pic of 'Guacamole' you're planning to post, but someone else posts a pic of THEIR 'Guacamole' first...So what? They have a nice pic, you have a nice pic...Post it anyway. THAT, I think, is the fun; Looking at EVERYBODY's great pics, and also, we're shopping LOL (I bought my 'Spring Fling' after seeing Paul in Minn's awesome pic of it) I wasn't even familiar with 'Spring Fling', I just said 'WOW' and ordered it ASAP.

To me, The Alphabet is a big highlight for Winter, and it's basically un-ruinable. Just saying, however we do it, it'll be awesome.

Eternally grateful to Paul and others for the influence their great pics have had in a lot of my purchases. : )

Happy Holidays (OR Happy Festivus, to each his own)!

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I like the idea of each letter of the alphabet having two days instead of one.

I also agree with Don that multiple pictures of the same hosta is a bonus. I personally like seeing hostas---young, mature and everything in between! Please do post your pictures of the same hosta---the more the merrier!

In last year's alphabet, if we were on, say, letter M, you could still add to any letter that had already been posted. So Ludi, please post your ABC's when you arrive back home. I am sure we would all love to see your photos.

Happy Holidays to all!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ludi put your ABC on when you get back. There is no hurry and it will keep the conversation going. Be safe in your travels.

There is no time limit to posting. When this gets going many letters will keep getting added to. There is no limit to how many of one named plant that can be posted. ie: if Guacamole has been posted show yours too. This is a time to show off and have fun.

I have thought about every two days and I am going to stick to each letter every other day. I am going to add Minis, Ruffled Edges and Red Stems. There seemed to be interest this year to these kind of hostas and we can define our searches. Lakesides and NOIDs will be there too.
    If your plant is a mini, ruffled or red stemmed be sure to post on the alphabet day too.

Looking forward to starting 26 December 2013. It got here so fast, too fast actually. Merry Christmas everyone. Paula