Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Anyone growing gourds for Hosta birdhouse deco?

leafwatcher
10 years ago

I have this huge gourd leftover from My Dads gardening days, I cleaned it out and have a bunch of healthy looking seeds. It got me to wondering if anyone else grew these for bird houses in the garden? I don't recall seeing a lot of them in pictures, but it made me want to ask. I have some other odd shaped gourds in the shed at Moms, they must be a different type as they are longish and strange looking. This one I have is much larger than a basketball and mostly a globe shape.
It might be fun to take one huge pot, say a 20 gallon sized one, and put some super healthy media in there and plant a few gourd plants... let them hang out and spread there vines...

Comments (9)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I grew some a few years ago. If I remember correctly, we grew dipper gourds. They are similar in size to birdhouse gourds. The vines smell really bad. They are also huge. The vines were at least 20 ft. in length. I'm not sure a 20 gallon pot would hold them.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

why bother with a pot??? .. or in fact.. good media ... they can deal with sand and little water ...

as noted.. they are a huge plant ...

the kids spread them all over the 5 acres for years .... including birdhouse type ...

birds did use them.. if i could get the migratory birds into them ... before the wasps took over ...

and do not put a landing pad ... i once saw a robin perch on such.. and rip a babe right out of the gourd ... small birds.. wont need some huge landing pad .... yeah.. a freakin robin.... it surprised me ....

ken

ps: a gourd is a gourd.. is a gourd.. including pumpkin ... if researching.. plant culture.. no need to narrow said search to any particular type ...

Here is a link that might be useful: 7th link ... no scale.. but i would guess 12 to 15 feet round ....

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I've grown gourds for several years and enjoy making simple bird houses from them. The birds enjoy them too. A good winter project while the garden is asleep.

I don't think I'd plant them in or near my hosta beds. As has been said, they will grow very big and twine through and over anything in their way. If you give them a "super healthy media" it will promote more vine and not necessarily more fruit. I like to grow them along a fence line or trellis. It allows the fruit to hang and I think shape better.

There are several different sizes and shapes of gourds that will work for birdhouses. I like to plant a few different varieties every year.

Whatever you do, have fun with it.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

The gourds like a fairly long growing season to mature and form a thick skin, making a better and longer lasting birdhouse. Mine are usually fairly small and suitable for wrens and chickadee sized birds.
    I hang about 6 - 8 every year and they all get used.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

That does surprise me about robins, Ken, but I guess it shouldn't. They are meat eaters after all. Just never connected them with raiding other birds' nests.

Every so often I plant a few gourds, and let them clamour over a fence or wall, or even up a tree. I still have plenty left from the last time tho so probably won't do that this year. some of them are even edible when very small but I've never tried them.

Sandy

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Our neighbor grows them up on the lattice on her garden fence.

Dont know if you dont try to grow the gourds in a pot. What would it hurt. Gardeners are always pushing things to the limit.

A friend posted an idea on FB ..... not on a gourd, but one could paint it on.

Grinch!

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Out at my Moms I have plenty of area to grow gourds, I may plant some there, and try one in a pot behind the garage (away from Hosta)

Anyone know if a plump healthy looking seed 5 years old can still grow?

Last year I had a voluntary acorn squash plant go CRAZY behind the garage.. it wasn't anything I planted, it was sort of a "hug" from my dad who has passed away. sometimes when I clean up old pots planters or just move some dirt a plant will volunteer from one of his missed seeds. It always makes me smile ...and maybe a little sad.
    I sure miss him....

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Things sometimes get wild. I remember planting the usual marigold seeds and some plants got 3 ft tall, was a real surprise.
    leafwatcher, your father's genes are in you, so he continues living. We have a little grandson, he is our future.

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Sunflowers are usually good for kids. Big fat healthy seeds easy to handle by clumsy little fingers. And if you grow giant sunflowers, they can then harvest the seed heads for an instant bird feeder.