Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

New Hostas For 2014 at Hallson Gardens!!

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

...Since I am not affiliated with Hallson Gardens in any way, just an enthusiast of their superior stock/inventory, I thought that if others didn't know about it yet...They might want to...Looks like they have at least a couple dozen varieties new to them for 2014, including 'Warwick Comet' (YAYY)! Just an FYI...

Here To Help,
Don B.

Comments (9)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

They also have plantaginea finally. Don't order them all before I get mine, though.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Bkay, don't worry, I'm only getting one plantaginea. Their e-mail stating it was back in stock led me to their website, which made me notice their 'New For 2014' category.

BTW Bkay...Do you have better luck with fragrant hosta than with a lot of other varieties, generally speaking, as far as your hot climate goes? Just curious...

Cheers,
    Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

No, actually, I don't think so. The problem I have is that they come up so early that they are often damaged by the cold. So Sweet is sometimes "pipping" by mid-february. We have many cold spells after mid-February. Oftentimes, the ones that come up later look better than the fragrants. It's because of the pots, I assume. They do allow more cooling than if they were inground hosta, but they also warm up earlier. Last year was the first year I've had bad damage to fragrants. Some were knocked back to single eyes. Before that, they just showed signs of being too cold.

I'm trying to figure out what to do to alleviate that problem. I suppose I should put them in the shade, but I don't have much when the trees are bare. If I put them in flower beds under the shrubs, with no "feet" under them, they get slug damage.

bk

• miketropic
    10 years ago

Am I missing somthing with this plantaginea? I have maybe 10 of them, HUGE ones I was given. They are fragrant but I never knew they were anything special..

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suppose it's just a matter of preferences, Mike. I love it, as do many, though I imagine a lot of people may simply think it's just too plain-looking and common compared to other newer or 'flashier' hostas. Of course, it's just a solid green color, but all species hosta are, I think. It's a parent of quite a few great hybrids, and has sported some beautiful varieties as well. Being the only species with fragrant flowers, basically all other fragrant varieties of hosta have plantaginea DNA in 'em. It has the distinction of being the first hosta species to arrive in Europe, originating in Southeastern China.

Actually, I guess it's not such a plain hosta after all. : )

Don B.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

well if I knew it was not avaliable I would have offered some eyes up.. mine are all sleeping now. I think I dug 5 or 6 mature ones to take to my new house

• miketropic
    10 years ago

well if I knew it was not avaliable I would have offered some eyes up.. mine are all sleeping now. I think I dug 5 or 6 mature ones to take to my new house

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

It was available. It was just not available from Chris. After my last one turned out to be an Aphrodite, I decided to wait until he had them. That way, I'm sure to get the real deal.

bk

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Mike, Plantaginae and its kids are not burning in the sun. I have Avocado, Aphrodite, Holy Mole, Guacamole and Fried Bananas in some sun where others had burned. Another plus is that they are fragrant and most are nicely variegated. Bernd

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!