Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timhensley_gw

Missing spring

timhensley
10 years ago

Missing spring. Guess I'll have to start some seeds to get my fix.

Comments (19)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I hear you, Tim. Long ways to go yet.

Don B.

P.S. Fantastic garden, BTW : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 18:54

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Tim...

The reason I reposted your pic is that it came out upside-down on this end. (Not sure how it came out on your end). So I reposted it rightside-up (Hopefully)...

Truly, that's an AWESOME pic of your hostas. You should be proud of it. : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

EDIT: More pics, Tim?

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 20:30

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

That's funny, on my iPad they were both right side up. Go figure!
    Kathy

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Tim's original posting shows an upside-down picture for me as well, thought for a moment he was posting from down under.....

Pieter

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi there...the upside down thingy is usually as a result of using a tablet (I use my mini iPad) as has been my experience...apparently a lot of my pics were appearing either sideways or upside down too until someone mentioned it here. Those of us using tablets don't see a problem at all...the pics are fine to us...however, not to others viewing from either laptops or desktops. Sometimes pics taken with phones are also disoriented.

I found that if I aim the tablet head-on at the hosta, the pics are fine...it was when I moved the tablet at angles that pics appeared in the posts other than they should have.

I've been taking better pics since then keeping this in mind...and have not heard anything to the contrary lately so it must be working.

I hope my misadventure notes about my then-new iPad can be useful to you, Tim. BTW that is a beautiful picture of a beautiful garden...I wish it was spring too.

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i though maybe that was how gardens looked.. down under .. below the equator.. lol ...

ken

• esther_b
    10 years ago

BEAUTIFUL garden!!! I hope my newly-planted hosta garden plants grow in as nice as yours. I left plenty of space between them to do so.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden,Tim,but,as I've said before,use a REAL camera,and you won't get those problems! Lol! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Well, I was seeing Tim's post as a reflection in a pond....just could not figure out how the posts on the roof worked to hold it up......hmmmmm.....

Thanks Don! I had just looked at a new book (Christmas present) with paintings by Monet, and I was all set to see water reflections.... the mind really tries to make sense of images.

No more sauce for this turkey! hehehehe

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Up side down, sideways, inside out or juxtapositioned that is one healthy and beautiful bed!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's for sure, Harry...

Don B.

• timhensley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It appears correctly from my end but apparently because I am using an IPad the pics for some appear upside down. Now I have learned something new. Thanks on the positive comments on the garden. I needed a break from gardening but now I'm starting to miss them.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

...just think....as soon as January 1 rolls around we are already on our way towards spring....says me here in the snowbelt, having shovelled frozen over and iced snow for two days now...gardens are all buried under a beautiful blanket of snow...looks pretty, but visions of emerging hosta pips are dancing in my head!

Just looking at your amazing garden, Tim makes the day brighter...maybe I should start counting how many sleeps till hosta start waking up...lol

Jo

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Yeah,my problem here is that the stupid montana Aureomarginata,wants to come up in late January! You can' t discourage it,and sometimes I think I should just let it come up and just freeze to death,because it's just too early to be up,even here. Funny,considering the best one I ever saw was in a Minnesota garden,and I know how cold it gets up there! What is the secret? Phil

• User
    10 years ago

I would like a montana.
    aureomarginara, hfreak. Perhaps it would not croak from early pipping. The irst year here, Stained Glass never went dormant. Now it is adjusted. M. aureomarginata is listed in 2 places as good for our high zone number southern gardens. Wont matter if it comes up early if it is already warm. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have two m.A.s planted as one plant since 2009. It is a mature plant now. It grows in shade from 2 large arbovitaes 6 ft away and one tree trunk. It gets enough light, but is not in direct sun. Therefore, in spring it stays cool, soil does not get heated up by sun, and it never came out early. Bernd

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

My yarden is a southwest facing slope. It's a hot little microclimate. My daffodils are up fully two weeks before any one else in town. Has anyone just tried protecting an mA against a late freeze? I have an old lampshade that I cover with a blanket for protecting tender vegetation. Will that do the job? Any other suggestions?
    Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

ZCathy, I think that is a great solution to the problem. A double layer of covering is good insulation. Must be a fine lampshade to endure the earth and the moisture without collapsing. I'd say it sounds similar to "cloches" or to "hoop houses" of a different style.

I've also discovered the value of placing pots beneath the sheltering limbs of large shrubs. My peace lilies and birdnest ferns did very well under the large sasanquas, only right now I have a blanket tossed over them and the ground orchids. My large philodendron selloums are standing unmarked even though there is ice in the bird baths nearby. The monstera deliciosa which looks similar to them has been nipped on the outer leaves even though it is sheltered beneath the tall old ligustrums. Next freeze, I'll throw a couple of blankets over it....that thing is getting HUGE, and I expect it will begin climbing trees next spring.

Well, a Merry Christmas morning to all, including the furred and feathered family of everyone. My boy eclectus parrot, Keno, celebrated his 18th hatchday Christmas Eve. He is exploring the house this morning, both flying and walking around on the floor. He likes his new toys.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Yeh Tim...I think the only one in the first pic that appeared normal was 'Upsidedown Pineapple Cake'... LOL

By the way, a very beautiful garden of hostas!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville