Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Had to induce sleep for Sleeping Beauty

Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 19:10

With a name like Sleeping Beauty, you would think she would know how to do it herself, but she wouldn't go to sleep on her own this year. So, today, (Dec 18) I lopped off her last 6-8 partially yellowed leaves and tucked her in bed with the other pots. After all, she needs her 6 weeks of beauty sleep!

She was my last one standing this year. Now I can concentrate on Christmas. Good.

-Babka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Had to induce sleep for Sleeping Beauty

So do you have a hosta 'Prince of Wales' to kiss her and wake her up in spring?

tj

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 13:35

Good one, tj! No 'Prince of Wales' here...so perhaps a smootch from a 'Blue Baron' will do the trick.

-Babka

o

Awwww, Babka, put a Sharp Dressed Man in there, that will bring her back alive come spring.

I have several hosta that need forcing into retirement too, I suppose they've had enough time to grow roots, and now I need a break too. Every day, I've pulled dead leaves off the hosta until my compost pile is rather full of them. Some of the plantaginea family are the last to go to sleep.

o

hey babs.. MERRY CHRISTMAS ...

is there any reason to think.. that perhaps some level of over-fert may have led to its lack of sleep.. sorta like the old days when i was a teen .. when i would drink a big pepsi in late evening ... and then lay there twitching in bed for hours.. wondering why i couldnt fall asleep??

can you ID any reason why this one did NOT want to go dormant???

there might be a species reason.. in its dna.. but there should really be a 'cultivar' reason ... though i am too lazy to look up the cross on this one ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO!!!!

ken

o

MyHOSTAS.BE says Sleeping Beauty is a sport of Halcyon, from Walters.

There are a few hangers on around my garden too, but I tipped them leaves and all. Guess I should go cut the green ones off.

It feels cold to me, but the hosta which arrived almost dormant in October are acting like it is not wintertime at all. Particularly, Harry Van De Laar. It has tender new leaves on it, and red/purple petioles, don't quite know what to do with it....leave it alone, or cut it down.

o

Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 18:18

A good thought, Ken, but she wasn't any more "juiced" than all the others. Our weather was just beginning to get cold. The day after I put her to bed, we had night-time temps hovering in the low 30's, so I just hastened the inevitable by sending her to bed before she wanted to go. She was already more than half un-dressed, so to speak.

That whole Halcyon family is a sturdy group that likes to hang around partying late in the season. Always the last to call it a night (year).

...and now back to the Bailey's Irish Cream.

-Babka

o

Wow, I haven't had Bailey's in years. It's soooo good. I think I'll buy some Monday. Thanks for reminding me.

bkay

o

Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 23:08

OH YES!!!!!!

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here