Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Any Experience with H. 'Island Charm'?

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this nice-looking little hosta. Planning on getting a border going with 'Hush Puppie' and maybe 'Island Charm' in an area of the backyard. Any info or opinions on this variety would be appreciated. Thanks.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah, everybody!
Don B.

Comments (10)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I guess I looked up the answer to my own question, in a way...

A sport of 'Island Charm' named 'Fantasy Island' is apparently a superior plant, being (according to what I've read) a more vigorous grower, with wider margins, and more sun tolerance than it's parent...OK, that's good to know...Nice-lookin', too...

Anyone growing 'Hush Puppie'? LOL I don't know jack about that one, either : ) (other than it's a cute little one)...

Cheers Everyone,
    Don B.

P.S. If anyone cares, I'm getting my cast taken off my foot a week from today...WHOOPIE!!! Seems like forever, even if it's been only about three months...good times...I will never take my mobility for granted again...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 22:58

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Not to be a downer,Don,but I have had both of them,and they are pathetic little plants. My Island Charm was beautiful the year I planted it,but the second year,it just faded away and disappeared. Fantasy Island did the same. It must be that 'white center' thing again. Just MHO,you understand. I have other white centered plants that do very well,like Sharp Dressed Man. Phil

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Island Charm was a dud for me. Withered until it existed no more!

Teresa

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Don.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

I have to say when Island Charm works it great. I must have hit on the right spot for this little plant because mine has done very well. I got it at the same time as Cherry Berry which has been moved countless times and never really impressed me though other people's plants of Cherry Berry have been beautiful. Anyway, here's Island Charm. It's in a group of other small plants in part sun. It can get fairly hot in this spot because of the pavement around this part of the garden. The sun goes behind some fir trees giving it shade on and off through the day.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, for both the good and bad reviews. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Perhaps I'll keep shopping for a border companion for 'Hush Puppie'. I see McT's specimen, however, and the risk-taker in me says, 'Hmmm, might be worth a shot'. I'm putting a Green Mountain order together, so far I've selected

ALEX SUMMERS
    FROSTED JADE
    SALUTE
    BLUE VISION and
    WYLDE GREEN CREAM

Hmmm...

Thanks!
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 17:08

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you'll be doing the Santa Boogie again, Don. Nice Christmas blessing for you. Take care, Bud! :-)

Jo

P.S. I like your shopping list/order.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're not being a downer at all, Phil. I appreciate the info concerning your (personally bad) experiences with the hostas I was asking about, along with all others' comments.

'Sharp-Dressed Man', now THAT is a nice-lookin' plant! How long have you had yours, Phil? I should get one, shouldn't I? Of course I should... : )

Thanks,
    Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Don,I planted that Sharp Dressed Man,back in 2009,just after getting it from Bob Solberg hinself,when he visited a local nursery near here. This plant is in east sun,right at the base of two huge oak trees. As with all my hostas,this plant has huge leaves,probably bigger than it would have been,grown in more sun,or someone elses garden. It's just the nature of where I grow hostas,you understand? Here is another pic of it. Phil

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Don, I have limited experience with Island Charm...picked it up for a couple of dollars when Wal-Mart did a closeout early this summer. Looked pretty ratty and then, after I got home & read up on it, wished that I hadn't bought it. But I went ahead & planted it and must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It put on a great second flush and turned into a nice looking hosta. It's in a shady spot until mid day & then it gets some direct sun for an hour or two & then filtered shade from pines & oaks.