Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Moving Rocks With a Stone Bar

donrawson
14 years ago

Moving Rocks With a Stone Bar (Part 1)

Hauling Rocks on a Stone Boat, Sled, or Dolly (Part 2)

Loading Rocks Onto a Truck or Trailer (Part 3)

(Hopefully nobody will mind if I post this info hereafter all, rocks and boulders are a beautiful addition to any hosta garden, right?)

In this posting, weÂll look at how to move rocks and boulders. In the next postings, weÂll talk about how to haul rocks, and how to load them onto a truck or trailer.

Stone Bars (aka pry bars, crow bars, breaker bars)

The first absolute necessity is a good stone bar. The bar should be long and strong enough to pry against a rock with all your weight and strength, without bending the bar. So it needs to be fairly thick and of good quality steel.

A stone bar is the best tool for prying rocks out of the ground, for moving boulders short distances, and for setting the rocks into place.

Bars can be purchased at most hardwares, farm suppliers, and lumberyards such as
at Lowes for $35. However, IÂve found that many of these are too weak and poor quality, so buy the best one you can afford if you want durability.

Bars are available with a flat chisel point or with a round point. A round pointed bar is what I prefer.

I have three stone bars- a short one for small rocks, a long one for boulders, and a curved one for moving boulders across the yard. (Helpful tip: paint your stone bar a bright color so you can always find it if you lay it down.)

The short bar is an old car axle and comes in handy when prying smaller rocks out of the ground.. The long bar is 1 ¼" diameter, 7 ½ ft. long, and weighs 30# (very good quality steel). ItÂs strong enough to persuade just about any boulder into place. I can lean on it with all my weight without compromising its integrity.

One of the most useful bars is the curved, L-shaped bar. This is the one to grab if you want to move a large rock across the yard. When prying on a boulder, a curved bar allows you to lift up without bending over, as youÂd need to do with a straight bar. In other words, the end of the bar is at a comfortable working height.

Moving a Boulder

Small rocks up to about 2 ft. diameter and 500# can be rolled out of a field or fence row, or across your yard to your flower garden, if you do not have a cart, wagon, or heavy duty wheel barrow to carry them in. However, boulders are not moved so easily. Of course, IÂve discovered that a big and brawny man (or woman) with a determined attitude can accomplish pretty much anything he sets his mind to.

You can actually move boulders (up to 2000#) without too much trouble using the following technique. First of all, donÂt try to roll a boulder across the yardÂitÂs too much work and requires a whole regiment of Marines to do so. ItÂs much easier just to move a large rock a few inches at a time simply by spinning, or rotating, it.

Place your stone bar under one side of the boulder and lift up. YouÂll see the rock spin around about 90 degrees and will be pushed forward just a couple of inches. You can repeat the process over and over without much exertion, moving the rock forward each time. ItÂs surprising how large of rock you can move, without much work!

That's how I move boulders across the yard. Give it a try!

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thank God i have met you twice in my garden ... or i would question your sanity!!!! ... ROTFLMBO

now.. the bent bar... does one buy that in that shape.. or is this a new use for a bar you bent??? .. and if in fact you did bend it.. do you have a cape with a big S on it, under that work outfit????

where is that quarry ... and how much would a rock like that cost.. if you dont mind telling???? .. in other words price delivered versus DIY .... and if you got that rock why .. what kind is it.. how does it look all cleaned up???

and... my yard is 500 feet across ... how long would it take to get one across???? .. a couple inches at a time

what a hoot ... have a great day ...

ken

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Interesting,to say the least,Don! I already have one of those large 7 ft. bars you have in your first pics. I use it to pry up everything,including rocks I find just at the surface,on my property. It works well,and it doubles as a curling bar,for weight lifting! Lol! Good article. Phil

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"thank God i have met you twice in my garden ... or i would question your sanity!!!!"

Yeah, sometimes I wonder myself...and everyone else says I have "rocks in my head"!

"now.. the bent bar... does one buy that in that shape... or is this a new use for a bar you bent???"

Nah, ya can't buy a bent bar...you've gotta do that yourself. Get a good one...and put two fat guys on the end of it to make it that way. Then once you've used it, you'll realize that's how it should have been in the first place.

"where is that quarry ... and how much would a rock like that cost.. if you don't mind telling????"

I was at a local gravel pit. The price for boulders varies somewhat from place to place...but generally, fieldstone boulders cost $60 to $100/ton. For the size and quantity of rocks I need, that's very expensive...which is why I try to get them for free from farmers and construction sites.

" .. in other words, price delivered versus DIY ..."

This particular gravel company won't load rocks or haul them, which means you've gotta load and haul 'em yourself. Many trucking and excavating companies won't haul them either because they're hard on their trucks. And if they do, it's quite expensive.

"my yard is 500 feet across ... how long would it take to get one across???? .. a couple inches at a time"

You've got a big yard! Five feet/minute = 100 minutes. Of course, you always want to unload a boulder as close to the desired location as possible. Actually, to move a rock 500 ft., I'd use one of the alternative methods I'm going to talk about in my next post titled Hauling Rocks on a Stone Boat, Sled, or Dolly.

"I already have one of those large 7 ft. bars...It works well, and it doubles as a curling bar, for weight lifting!"

Yeah, everything involving rocks takes a lot of energy and work! That's why having a boulder wall installed by a landscaper costs a fortune! For me, I'm a very determined individual, and enjoy the exercise and a good challenge. LOL

• Babka NorCal 9b
    14 years ago

Our weenie crow bar is only about 4 feet long. Now I know what I want for Xmas!

...anxiously awaiting parts two and three...

-Babka

• aahostas
    14 years ago

Don r,
    Thanks for the tutorial.I'm getting my DW one of those bars and a pair of cletes for Christmas!

Denny

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Okay. So, now, let's get a video of all you guys doing this in unison-synchronized shifting...my DH needs the inspiration---because I REALLY NEED some big boulders in the back yard on the hill and in the bottom part of the yard!

Once I have that video in hand, my biggest concern will be fitting those bars in his stocking.

Cynthia

• Janice
    14 years ago

Great instructional pix., Don!!! I'm impressed!

Can you believe I have a pry bar, too? It was one my FIL had & it's slightly bent--about 5 ft. long,
    not 7'! It's come in handy in so many ways, and weighs at least 20-30#'s! I know this is a good one,
    as it's about 2" across and probably at least 50 yrs. old!!

It looks like a giant screw, with a capped end and a chisel end!

Now, where's a boulder for me to practice on?

• hostamanfred
    14 years ago

Great instructions, Don.
    BTW I have accomplished a lot with my 25 hp Cub Cadet. Not for rocks but for moving larges bushes and trees, using a heavy duty chain, the kind you find on semi's
    In case you like to take this to the next level, here is a link:

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bump to top.

• peggy_hosta
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, Don. Luckily, I own a 60 hp skidloader (and a husband) so I can get alot done when the skidloader is around. I'll have to look for your post about loading them onto a trailer without a loader.
    Peggy

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I was looking at this old posting, one I have always enjoyed , thought you newbies would enjoy it as well.
    cAROL

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

a joy to see someone else loves to move big rocks =)