hostasmith

Slug & Snail Death!

hostasmith
10 years ago

and Merry Christmas to all!

Comments (21)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

You are heavily armed, my friend...I see that bottle of Hi-Yield malathion in the background, too! You going Taliban hunting??

Merry Christmas, Devon!
    Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yes! I like it.

Bk

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

It's just Iron Phosphate. Same as Sluggo. Good marketing though.

Steve

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

I love the old Gil Elvgren style of the cover . . . if Gil painted rabid snails instead of scantly clad ladies, mind you.

It looks vintage to me . . . like the box has been empty for quite some time . . .

Hmmmmm, is this a trick on the eyes, or a throw-back in marketing ?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

That is an old box. I like the name, but that product is no longer made. The photo brings a smile.....

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Corry's products

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

msds indicates made in US .. go figure ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

They have Corry's Slug and Snail pellets with metaldehyde, 'fast acting, ideal for vegetable gardens', 2 lbs at $9.99 plus shipping. I get Ortho Bug-Geta at HD @ 3lbs for $10.97 plus gas. Bernd

Above is corrected per Steve's comments. Darn, HD raised the price by a $.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corry's Slug pellets

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 17:12

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Bernd,

I think you've begun to celebrate a little early. You certainly mean that the bait has Methaldehyde, not Malathion. And by the way, how much do you pay for 3 lbs of gas?

Steve

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Neither the Slug & Snail Death is mine or the High-Yield. I was at an amish seed and supply shop getting Christmas gifts for a BIL and some Captan and Neptune's Harvest for myself and I couldn't resist getting a picture, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling! I might get a box next time though, it was only $4.50.

The forum seemed to be a little slow!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Cool pic anyway, Devon.

Off Topic: Do you have a 'Devon Green'? : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don-I may have 'Devon Green', I got a plant from my Grandfather that looks very much like it. I haven't had it long enough to see it bloom.

Since we are off topic, how is Colorado this time of year? My DW and I have talked about making the move for our DS son. There have been quite a few Dravet Syndrome parents making the move lately, with great success.

• User
    10 years ago

Slugs on a hosta discussion are never off topic, Smithy.
    :)
    So you like Neptune's Harvest too? Ah yes. I use it in my potting mix, the crushed crab shells provide food for the bacteria which eat nematodes I'm told. When they ship it to me in the 50 lb sacks, I always get "preferential treatment" from the UPS guys.....they run it by here first thing, so it doesn't stink up their trucks in hot weather.

I also bought a big bag of dried kelp meal for the potting mix.
    Sold by Neptune's Harvest. It's a good sign of old seaport Gloucester in MA prospering.....the effect of the book and movie Perfect Storm, more than likely.

Now THAT is really off topic, except for the potting mix.

• mstrpbk
    10 years ago

I read some where last summer/fall that there was an opposing coexistent relationship between Earthworms and Slugs. If the ground supports earthworms the slugs are held back.

I have also heard that bran (as in fiber) if eaten by slugs will cause them to explode from the expanding of itself being exposed to moisture. I have not heard what the effects of Bran is on earthworms ⦠anyone have any information on aspect of that approach?

Peter Kelley
    St. Paul, MN USA

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Peter,

There is no scientific evidence that either of those things are true. Do you have a link that we could check for those claims?

Steve

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Hi Peter, on the referenced site they have all kind of ways to deal with slugs. Bran dries them out, etc.
    But I always drink something when I eat bran, have never dried out. Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: Effect of bran on slugs

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Devon,

Personally, I love Colorado and think it's a great place to live. This time of year, (Dec. Jan. Feb.) looking at weather.com, the average high temps are about 45 degrees F., with the average lows about 17 degrees F. I live in Westminster, about 20 miles north of Denver. It's often very breezy, or downright windy, so wind chill DOES play into perceived temperatures a lot. Generally an arid environment, so slugs are almost never a big issue here. We have small toads and a lot of garter snakes in the area, so I'm thinking they make a difference as well in controlling slugs here.

If you want to shoot me an e-mail, Devon, please do, you can do it through my GardenWeb page, and if you want to ask me any specifics about Colorado, I'll be happy to answer them in good detail.

Cheers!
    Don B.

• mstrpbk
    10 years ago

Steve -

Will see if I can relocate those links on the subject - may take a day or so.

Peter Kelley
    St. Paul, MN USA

• mstrpbk
    10 years ago

Garter snakes, I believe are constrictors. I have heard they might become a risk (wrists and ankle areas). Read that so long ago I would not be able to cite that reference.

Peter Kelley
    St. Paul, MN USA

• User
    10 years ago

Well, they put borax in some roach killing products. It makes them dry and then thirsty, and when they drink, the borax expands and they bust.....or words to that effect. So, I suppose it could work with slugs too....only slugs are much more elastic than chitin-covered critters such as roaches and crickets.....

Peter, garter snakes to hold up thy stockings?.....another body part where I'd worry about constriction is my neck.....

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Peter,

Garter Snakes aren't constrictors. They are usually painfully shy and will (in my experience with many, many of them) flee first, flee second, discharge a smelly substance on you (if you handle them) and bite (maybe) as a last resort. Even the larger ones don't have big jaw power, and really, they're not much of a threat to a person, if at all. I DID see a Garter Snake being eaten by a much larger Yellow-Bellied Racer snake last summer, though. Kinda felt sorry for the little sucker. Just friends of the garden. Friends of MY garden, at least. : )

Don B.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    10 years ago

A little info on garter snakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garter Snakes

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living