Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane100_gw

new

JANE100
10 years ago

Hi everyone. Been following all of you on the forum since early summer. You got me so enthused, and informed about hostas,I joined the WNY Hosta Society a couple of months ago. Never knew there was so much to learn and know about hostas. You have ENABLED me!!!
Don't have many hostas in the ground yet, about 16, but have about 30 in pots in the garage to plant or pot up in the spring. Small city lot about 30 X 140 ft. incl. house & garage. New bed under construction for the spring will be 8x20, between 2 garages , mine & a neighbors. Have beds on 3 sides of the yard about 3 ft. deep with ferns, astilbes, heucheras, and clematis. Gave away lots of other plants to friends and family to make room for the hostas.
This summer I just put in a hosta garden at the SPCA where I've been doing gardening and landscaping for 22 yrs. About 60 plants mostly starters but dug up and divided some Guacamole and So Sweet from my yard. Hope they all make it thru the winter. Well, just wanted to introduce myself to you since I feel I've known you for a long time already. Really enjoy all the topics you discuss like the Alphabet and the poetry.

Comments (17)

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Welcome, Jane100. This is a great bunch of friendly and well-informed (large collective database here) and generous people. They've been exceedingly kind to this newbie, and I'm sure they will be to you. Again, welcome!
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hello Jane, and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here, happy to have helped enable you. : ) Also, congratulations on joining the WNY Hosta Society.

Can't wait for spring, how bout you??

Regards,
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 22:28

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Great people these gardners, but be warned,they do enable you and seem to get great joy in doing so. but they do help you learn.which is good!! We are all looking toward Spring already.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Welcome, Jane. I'm glad to see that you are supporting your local Hosta society. For those of you who aren't members of a local Hosta society, it's a great deal. Here in New England dues are $10 a year or $25 for 3 years. Meetings are quarterly. Usually there is an educational event or even better a garden visit that is combined with meetings. The people are terrific and the gardens you get to visit are often spectacular. Likely there is one near you. New York alone, has 4 different Hosta Societies. Yes, Moccasin, Alabama has two. Here's the link for one near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Local Hosta Societies near you

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Hi Jane100. Glad to have you join us. Sounds like you will fit right in. Good luck with your new gardens. Hope to see pictures of your hostas this year. You are off to a great start!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Welcome, Jane.

bk

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Hi Jane---welcome to the forum. Like you, I started reading here, and learning, and being entertained before I had the courage to post. Newcomers are warmly welcomed and given a dangerous amount of encouragement! You will be making wish lists as the 'alphabet' continues I'm sure. Great that you garden at the SPCA where the results of your efforts are no doubt enjoyed by many.
    Jan

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

WELCOME to the Hosta forum, Jane! So glad you took the plunge and joined in. I joined this past June after a week of lurking and reading and have enjoyed myself immensely!

Uh oh, you mentioned two very popular hosta...Guacamole and So Sweet.
    Don in Colorado is crazy about G..he enabled me (and continues to hook a lot of us in, in his quest for more Hosta) ...wait till he starts again in spring...I live vicariously through his orders alone, never mind the rest of the gang's. LOL. Bkay has the most gorgeous SS and whose picture is on the Hosta Library. It is the indescribably gorgeous one, the last one with the dark background.

Let us know what hosta you have sometime when you're so inclined...we all love pics, as you've no doubt discovered, another really loud LOL.

Looking forward to your posts. :-)

Jo

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

Welcome.

Hope you haven't taken out a 2nd mortgage in a while....it's like Beanie-Babies x 10. Look forward to pics and ask us anything, we don't bite...

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Welcome to the fun. This will get you through the winter and then some.
    Beverly

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I think we should all guess what the 100 in Janes name means...I think she plans on 100 types by the end of the first year.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, it's a long drive to Wichita. : (

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I know, Don. What's up with the western states? Even states like Washington and Oregon, which are great Hosta growing areas, have no local society. You should start one.

Steve

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Welcome Jane! I am in western NC,in the mountains. You have embarked on a journey that we will enable,every chance we get! Lol! Phil

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Hi Jane - Welcome! Your joining a great groups of hostaphobics!

Donna

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Local hosta societies have hosta sales with reasonable prices. We here in Eastern NY have one sale of recent introductions for members in May. Another sale is in August for the public at a local nursery where we sell divisions of our own hostas to raise funds. Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a great idea, Steve. I kinda feel compelled to do so.

Don B.