Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Brother Stefan and Paradigm similar?

gardenfanatic2003
12 years ago

Pictures of Brother Stefan and Paradigm look very similar. I already have Paradigm. Would getting Brother Stefan just be repetitive?

Deanna

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

no

but i suppose it depends on space constraints..

i dont think BS turn that burnished gold later in summer... but i am not sure on that

is their heritage the same??

ken

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Yeah,and so does Clifford's Polar Moon. I have both Clifford's Polar Moon,and Paradign,and I can't tell em' apart! Phil

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Hmm. I've passed up Brother Stephan several times in the past because I thought it was similar to Paul's Glory, but it has always been on my list. I do have several Paradigm but I hadn't thought about their being similar. Guess I'll still keep passing up Brother Stephan for a while. Unless I get a bargain on one. ;)

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

These two plants are in my top 20 at least. I passed up Brother Stefan for a couple years because I think I read it was difficult to grow. I found it at a local nursery (rare to find newer hostas locally). It was inexpensive so I thought I'd take a chance. It has grown amazingly well and though it is certainly similar to Paradigm, it might just be my favorite. I thought I'd do a photo comparison.

These plants are grown in nearly identical conditions - about 20 feet apart. They get sun from around noon to evening. There are times during the afternoon when the sun is behind a tree so it's not constant. Paradigm is a little more exposed to the west so it gets sun an hour or so longer than Brother Stefan but it's pretty close. Below are pictures comparing them through the summer into fall. The third picture of Paradigm was from 2010.

The biggest difference beside the fact that Brother Stefan probably grew faster (notice the year they were purchased) is that Brother Stefan has a wider margin with more feathering and more contrast with the center. Paradigm has a bit of a shine to the leaf.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

McTavish- What a great sequence of photos! How do you get those pics to post next to each other?

-Babka

Here are my two. Both are keepers. I love the bumps.

{{gwi:1106784}}

{{gwi:1106785}}

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Brother Stefan is one of the hostas that I have no problem identifying in gardens that I visit, so I would consider it to have very distinctive traits.

I grow Brother Stefan in a shadier part of the garden and Paradigm in a sunny spot. The center of my Paradigm was white by the end of the summer, but it kept a nice green edge.

If I only had space for one, I would choose Brother Stefan, especially after seeing McTavish's pictures.

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Brother Stefan has that yellow maple leaf picture on its own leaf. I found in spring that Paradigm, Paul's Glory, Gold Standard and Rainforest Sunrise look very similar except for size, but not Brother Stefan.
    Bernd

• User
    11 years ago

I appreciate the comparison of the two, McTavish. Well done.
    I have a preference for the gold middles and green margins, so I'd surely have both....which is true, I do have both. But no long experience growing either. Having your record back to 2006 and 2009, that is fantastic. How very organized you are, McT!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Mctavish explained it so beautifuly thru photo (as she always does SO well). That was 2011 and when space began to get tight I decided to only keep one since they look so similar. Under my growing conditions, it was tough to tell the two apart.

-Babka

• User
    11 years ago

Babka, that day of reckoning has not arrived here....so far so good....so I still have both. Brother Stefan and Paradigm.
    I have a new picture of Paradigm from this morning, and if I judged from this view, the winner would be Brother Stefan. But what is one shot on one day, it is not the whole story. So I'm keeping both, .......of course. :)

• esox48
    11 years ago

In my view, Paradigm is a hosta you have to have. Brother Stefan is also a great hosta and you should have it if you have the room. That make sense? You can'tt have a hosta garden without Paradigm.

Paradigm, hail riddled...

Brother Stefan

• User
    11 years ago

Both are gorgeous, Esox!
    Spectacular leaves on them, I hope mine will be able to look that mature in containers.

• User
    11 years ago

This is my newly acquired Brother Stefan all by himself. 4/18/13

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022