Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Let's Revisit 2013...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

...Please feel free to post any pics you'd like of this year's growing season. We have a long way to go 'til we see pips, and I know a lot of us take the edge off by looking at our pics, so I'll start off...

A spot in my front yard, with 'Krossa Regal' as kind of the 'centerpiece', I guess you could say.

Cheers, please post your favorites, and thanks for looking!

Don B.

Comments (63)

• hostanista
    10 years ago

I like the angle of this overhead pic, that's a Liberty down there.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Love the colouring on these Liberty leaves. The day was overcast and the center of the leaves was a beautiful blue.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

My favorite 2013 pic is this part of what I call the Korean Lilac bed, with Liberty, Albomarginata, some heuchera and hakone grass and a Little Wonder and Blue Mouse Ears tucked under the lilac. I think it's very serene.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

OK couldn't resist one more shot of Liberty with raindrops.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your raised bed, and, needless to say, that 'Liberty' is really beautiful. I really hope mine leaps this coming spring. It'll be season 3 that I've had it, so fingers crossed. I need a raised bed in the front yard, a big plant-filled oval right in the middle of the lawn. Thanks for the inspiration, Hostanista!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Mister Watson' in front, with 'Silver Bay' right behind, and 'Christmas Tree' behind that. That is 'Alligator Shoes' at far left of the pic, and 'Paul's Glory' behind. I'm excited about this little part of the bed. Can't wait 'til they grow up!

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

grrrrrrrrr

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

Hostanista , your garden is so beautiful, you posted that over head pic of your liberty on some other thread and you made me fall in love with her. It is on the order list for spring, might get a few of her!

Don, you have some really nice youngsters there, I hope mine do as well as yours seem to be doing.

As I don't have any photos to share yet I will sit back here and drool!

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

This pic of the stump bed at the cottage reminds me that in only 5 months it will be opening weekend again! (Sadly three of those months will be cold and plantless.)

Elegans, Liberty, and June competing with the heucheras.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

What a great idea and wonderful pictures. I can't say I'm exactly picture starved since I've been looking at my pictures non stop for the last couple months. I am craving seeing other people's gardens again. It sure makes you look forward to spring doesn't it?

I do a couple calendars every year. One is a mixture of photos for friends and family (most not gardeners). They include nature pictures and I allow there to be a couple garden pictures in the mix.

The second calendar is one I print for myself and my sister. It is strictly a "hosta" calendar. April this year was a picture of Beauty Substance (sisters plant). It was taken from a window like Hostanista's wonderful Liberty. I thought you might be interested in see it and also the bottom page. Each page is a collage of plants on a chosen background. The theme this year is "opposites". April is Big and Little. Some other months are Sweet and Spicy, Sun and Moon - you get the idea. The back cover is my garden in all seasons - Spring-Fall and Summer-Winter.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Hostanista what is the ground cover in your woodland garden . A great way to keep the weeds down.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me what great ideas people have for their gardens. Jan - LOVE your stump garden, very pretty. I expect to see a tiny elf or gnome popping out behind one of the hostas. And McT, your calendar is a hit! I may just steal that idea....

I repurposed a huge cement fountain (had a broken base) and placed it atop a thick stump in the front garden, filled it with begonias one year. Right now it's filled with cut up evergreen branches for the winter.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread, Don. I've been missing spring and summer myself.

Hostanista-I LOVE the picture with 'Liberty' and the lilac bush. The colors are so striking!

Jan.ON-I like the picture with the heuchies in the front. Do you happen to know the name of the heuchera in the middle with the burgundy leaf center? It's stunning!

I have a few pictures to add. This first one is 'Lakeside Cupcake'. It grows well for me, despite it being a white-centered hosta.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

From the Spring...'Great Expectations' planted with some pink impatiens.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

A picture of 'Georgia Sweetheart' taken this summer at Sebright Gardens. Boy, I can't wait to go there again this coming spring!!!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Last one...a picture of H. 'Camelot', also taken at Sebright Gardens.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

My favorite group picture of 2013

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Don,

I liked your Krossa Regal picture. Here is mine last spring, surrounded by its bed mates (clockwise from lower left): Fragrant Blue, Japanese Forrest Grass, Olive Bailey Langdon, Sagae, Elegans and (front center) Singin' In The Rain.

The same bed viewed from the opposite direction following September bed expansion. Singin' In The Rain is also in the front row center of this picture following its transplant.:

I can't wait to see this bed next May!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see it, too! Looking great, Harry. Maybe in a season or two my 'Krossa Regal' will be as big as yours was this summer. It had 16 eyes this year, so it's starting to get some size to it. Great hostas, Harry.

Don B.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

My most mature garden in July. The big one in front is Squash Casserole .i think 5 years old . Behind it is Blue Angel then ZIPPITY Do DAH. The smaller plants from lower left are Halcyon,HOLLYWOOD LIGHTS,WHIRLWIND ,SUN POWER,JUNE and RAINFOREST SUNRISE.

• User
    10 years ago

Don, have not forgotten that you suggested Mr. Watson to me. I take your photo of him above as a subtle reminder. Truly love the golden glow of hosta leaves.

Sunnywood, your Squash Casserole is classy as can be. Mine is young, but it promises to grow up as photogenic as yours.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I am very much enjoying this thread with all the pictures.

If we are revisiting 2013, then let's look at some of the flowers:

Here is Alex Summers with one (and only one) very large flower stalk:

10 years ago

And another:

10 years ago

I added some lighting and changed the look:

10 years ago

My last one:

• User
    10 years ago

NHL, I really really appreciate your photos. You take good pikchurs. :)

Not so classy but I like this one....Dick Ward....one of my original hosta obtained in May 2010. STRONG.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

This is the best picture I have of my front yard, ignore the parade. It is taken from the porch, and doesn't let you see the entire bed.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Another view

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Wonderful garden pictures... Love the stump one in particular. newhostalady - outstanding flower pictures. The lighting was great.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Beautiful flower pictures NHL. Love the way you changed the background. Here is a before and after of a Blue Angel.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

hostanista - Next summer - there will be an elf! That stump is the remains of an 80 year old spruce that blew onto our cottage roof a few winters ago. We were sad to lose the tree, but I have had fun with the remains. It is about 10 feet from the St. Lawrence river so I can just dip water from the river!

flower-frenzy - that heuchera is Beauticolour - I think that is a rather old variety. I have had it for several years and it never fails to look good.
    Jan

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mocc...

Actually, my posting of the 'Mister Watson' pic was not a reminder to you that you should get one. It is a part of the garden I'm excited about in anticipation of the particular varieties maturing and filling in their area. I think it'll be a nice combination of 'clashing' variegation with a few solid-colored hostas in there to provide a foil and tone it down a little. Hopefully it'll look really nice in a few seasons...

However, THIS is a not-so-subtle reminder that you should have have 'Mister Watson' in your hosta garden. In all seriousness, I not only share a heavy interest in fragrant hostas with you, I also have a soft spot for variegated golds/yellows. With a green margin. (Even though this pic is showing MW still pretty green). Hey, that reminds ME: I need to order a 'Smooth Sailing' from somewhere. : )

Don B.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Another view of the same bed, before the September expansion project. Krossa Regal is standing upright in the center with (clockwise from upper right) Guacamole, June, Huechera, Lakeside Beach Captain, Big Daddy, Sagae and Elegans.

L. Beach Captain was moved across the path and June was moved to the other side of the bed as part of the fall project. My hosta love this spot and are crowding out their smaller neighbors.

All of my beds are under 10" of snow so I'm loving these pictures. Send more!

This post was edited by harryshoe on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 12:54

10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on the flower pictures. It made my day!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This bed is full of fragrant hostas. I'm happy to say many of them bloomed enough for me to catch their scent just from standing at the edge of the bed. There are varieties in this bed that I bought and planted since this pic was taken. Planted several clumps of lamium in here too. Hoping for some good growth this coming season. Gotta love those stinky fragrants! : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Luna Moth', with it's subtle variegation. It doesn't scream at you, and it doesn't need to. It's become a favorite of mine.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bed of fragrants, later on in the season. It's not even January yet; I'm getting too excited about the coming growing season too soon. This is the time of year I pay attention to my African Violets in the spare bedroom/office. : )

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Hosta island revisited...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donna! I can see your big, big 'Fried Bananas' from here.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice piece of 'Diva' : )

Don B.

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Some of my fav's, common though they may be...

Wendy

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

What a beautiful garden, Wendy! Is that Night Before Christmas under your window?
    Kathy

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Thank you Kathy. :) The hosta under the window is Risky Business. Night Before Christmas is in the last photo, in the center.

Wendy

• User
    10 years ago

""" This is the time of year I pay attention to my African Violets in the spare bedroom/office. : )

Don B."""

Don, it sounds to me like you are reminding yourself to pay attention to the African violets. Yep, I can see you now....

Don on his hands and knees and elbows, taking pictures of hosta pips. heheheheh....you'll be the talk of the neighborhood. Cabin fever.

• igmommy
    10 years ago

Love the full bed pictures. Some gorgeous gardens here. Here are a few areas in mine from last year.

My terra cotta collections with hosta:

With one of the dogs: (this is the dog that removed all the leaves from my newly planted Rainbow's Edge. It never did sprout any new ones last year. Hopefully, it will come back, but I don't think so.) Her name is Suki, we call her Psycho Suki (well deserved)!

I call this the "Garage Bed" because it is on the east side of the garage:

Another view of the garage bed:

West fence bed:

East Fence Bed:

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Thanks for showing! You all have very nice gardens!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Photo problem trying again later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Story

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 16:18

• User
    10 years ago

Bev, haven't a clue what you mean, since your link opened in my Photobucket account and not any mention of what "story" might be about.

Back up and run that by me one more time please? LOL I know it's something the album sites must be doing to CHANGE THINGS, and oh how I dread having to learn something NEW.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

It would be great if someone would click on my hosta story below to see if it works.
    Thanks, Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

Nope, Bev. I clicked on both posts and it says "This story is private. Click here to request access." .....and then it says, "Hmmmm, something done gone wrong heah."

I like the pictures that you show above.