Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd Annual - Ludi Shows off His Orchids . . . Show

Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 22:24

Hello again Hosta Friends :)

I can withhold the pictures no longer ! I apologize for the delay, but I was waiting for one final scape to finish blooming so I could post everything at once. He finally finished this weekend, and none too soon since the alphabet is right around the corner !!!

So, without further ado, and a dramatic wave of the hands, I present to you the second annual:

Ludi Shows off His Orchids . . . Show

::queue the pleasing music::

First up, we have a complex hybrid that’s been given the cultivar name ‘Bob Henley’. The person Bob Henley was a judge one year at a major orchid show, and Norman Fang (the hybridizer) decided to name this hybrid after him. What a treat !

As you can see, ‘Bob’ was a happy camper this year ! I counted 16 blooms total. The oncidium alliance is notorious for putting out these extensive scapes, making for a dramatic presentation. So much so, I had trouble getting the full scope of all the flowers into one picture. So forgive the lighting in the first two, they were taken in the bathroom, but at least you can see the full size. If I were to stretch that arch straight up it would be almost three feet . . . . . . . like I said . . . a happy camper. :)

PC230001

PC230002

Here are the same flowers only under my florescent lights to show the true color of the blooms.

PC230003

PC230004

PC230005

This next one was featured last year, but I managed to get better pictures this year. It is another complex hybrid that has been given the cultivar name of ‘Mayumi’.

The great thing about this orchid is that it starts off with a really deep purple like in the first picture, and then slowly fades into the more pinkish color you see in the second picture.

Just before it's going to drop the flowers, the color is almost white and only the little purple spots remain, giving it a splashed effect.

But I wasn't smart enough to think ahead and get all three color stages. :(

Picture 005

PC080012

Next up, a tiny little guy I purchased from a local enthusiast over three years ago. Unfortunately, I could never read his hand writing (sigh) so I’m not sure what the proper name of this one is . . .

It has bloomed steady since I first bought it … but if you are not careful you might miss the flowers all together. :)

PC180020

PC180018

Of course, I couldn’t leave out the girls Helen and Delores. These are my biggest and best Phals and every year they delight me with their smiling faces.

Their names were given by me as ‘pet’ names. I purchased both of these at Trader Joe's almost 5 years ago, so previously they were named “Trader Joe's $15 special”.

Delores

PC080008

Helen

PC080010

PC080011

Here again is a try at a comparison between the bleach-white Helen and my green Phal. Norman’s Jade ‘Green Apple’.

PC080009

These next two were the stars of the show, however. They’re both species and are not hybrids (I think).

I must admit, I’ve lost touch with my orchids since the hostas took over and my memory is not what it used to be with each plant. But they still look great, so it doesn’t matter what their names are, right ?

P7030004

P7030005

PC080004

PC080005

PC080006

PC080007

And last but not least (God rest their Souls) these are pictures I dug out of my archives. These three plants have long been dead, killed by my very early inexperience, but their memories live on. :)

2010-09-12 18.25.07

2010-07-16 20.20.59

2010-04-01 17.59.44

And sadly that concludes my treasure trove of blossoms for this year. :(

As always, it is such a joy to share, and I am so happy to have found interest here amongst the hosta growers.

For those that have not already seen it, below is a link to my post from last year with a different set of pictures. I tried not to show too many of the same ones this year, but I also wanted to start a new thread since these would have been buried at the bottom of the old one.

Ludi’s First Annual Orchid ShowOff

As always, thanks for looking and I hope you enoyed. :)

Yours,
Ludi

Edit: The link to last year's pictures didn't copy right, originally.

It works now. :)

This post was edited by Ludisia on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 22:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd Annual - Ludi Shows off His Orchids . . . Show

All I can say is.....ORCHIDGASM!! (To paraphrase a guy named Ludi)...

And WOW Ludi, these are fantastic. Excuse me, I'm gonna go look at 'em again : )

Cheers,
Don B.

o

Holy Guacamole!!!!!!! What a show!!!!!! Gorgeous, exotic flower show!!!

Ludi, those orchids are out of this world! Thank you - what a treat -----me too, Don, right behind you! Bookmarked this one for sure and link as well.

Merry Christmas!

o

Thanks for sharing your lovely plants. I really enjoyed the show.

bk

o

Ludi---these are exquisite. I can understand how one could get hooked on growing them. And how decent of them to bloom when you most need a bit of cheer to counter the garden withdrawal pains.
Thanks for bringing the eye candy to this forum.
Jan

o

They are so amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Kathy

o

Very nice indeed Ludi. As someone who manages to keep a single orchid alive, I appreciate your collection. Mine is a simple phalaenopsis that wasn't my usual fail-and-toss-it.

I particularly like the ikebana look that 'Bob Henley' has. Thanks for posting them.

tj

o

They are beautiful,Ludi! Unfortunately,I can't grow anything that doesn't grow in 'dirt'! I once had some sort of wild Orchid come up,near my pool deck in Florida,but when I tried to move it to a better place,it didn't make it. Phil

o

Outstanding! What a delightful surprise on the Hosta forum! I have tried so hard to grow them with no success. I have around 8 in the basement under lights and they are doing nothing...zero! Yours are lovely and I really enjoyed each picture. Lesley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here