Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Uncle Albert

bkay2000
9 years ago

Why is Uncle Albert so expensive? I read it's a breeding plant. It's not even a streaker. I had an Uncle Albert, who helped me a lot with my genealogy, so I have always wanted one to remember him. It's an attractive plant, but $125?.

bk

Comments (6)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Hi bk, Your post raised my curiosity so I did a search. I found it at Bridgewood gardens for $49 , a single eye. There was a picture of the flowers scape, oh my! The pictures showed a really large cluster of flowers at the top of the scape. It was really quite striking. I am wondering if the flowers are part of the reason it is so expensive. Now I'm wondering what the experts here think.

Sherry

• allnitro
    9 years ago

It has not been put in mass production, "tissue culture" and has only been available by division from the one plant. It has been out for quite a while now and is easier to get a piece for a lesser price.......Supply and demand. I have it and I like it but I wouldn't call it a have to have plant.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have a seedling from open pollinated seeds I got in 2012 from pathman. It did not bloom yet, though I am waiting for that tall scape with good looking flowers, in case it gets it. Bernd

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it's not one of those "have to have" plants for me either. If so, I would probably have bought it. It's just the name - no other reason. It appears from the photos to be an attractive plant.

About two years after my uncle Albert (nicknamed Josh) died, I found a piece of genealogy information that only he would appreciate. It was one of those family stories he told me. It was about my great-great grandfather's generation. The story goes X was married to Y, and Y's sister was married to Z and on and on. Then the last sentence of the story says, "And Willie Goff was from the same place", which was a odd end to the story. He must have told me that story 10 times. I found that Willie Goff's wife was the oldest sister of my great-great grandmother. When she died, a younger sister married Willie Goff to care for the young children.

When I found that information, I was so excited. He was the only one who would have appreciated it. He was the only one that those folks were real people to.

Uncle Josh was a veteran of WWII. He was already in the army when war broke out. He was in the 636 tank destroyer batallion. He said they landed in Salerno and went through Italy and France and into the battle of the bulge. He said they knew the war was over because the Germans were waving white flags.

It's not really about the hosta, but about my Uncle Albert.

bk

Edited to correct the tank batallion

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 16:54

• allnitro
    9 years ago

Grow some seedlings and name one exclusively for your awesome uncle.

As far as 'Uncle Albert's flowers go only the bud looks cool the flowers are ok and the scapes lay sideways something that needs to be improved of it.

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, I'm fond of picking em for the names too, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a valid way of choosing. My first hosta order included Brother Stefan, for my son Steven. And Princess Anastasia for my DH's elder sister (now 94) who is a nun.

My favorite variegation is with the dark green margin and a yellow midleaf. I think that is medio-variegation? I always get mixed up about the proper term.
    {{gwi:2131603}}