Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilfarmgirl

Hosta Library Auction

LilFarmGirl
9 years ago

Wow. They must be in a different time zone. I looked at the auction at 11:25, my time, and it was over. For me that is.

Comments (18)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Yes, that was mountain time. You would have to add 2 hours to the times posted. I compared my time in NY to the time the Auction page showed for each item.

There was a lot of action. Some items went over $100 each. They could have sold a lot more seeds.

It is important to have a fast computer to do the bidding. I had to use an Ipad last night, which required me typing in name and password for every bid. You also need to figure out that 3 minute timing, which I got confused about and did not realize that it was doing me in. I won 5 seed packs which will add to my seeds already germinating and provide nice winter hosta gardening in my basement.

And there are more auctions coming up.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 8:44

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I guess this was a learning experience. I will try to catch some other ones. I will plant the gifted seeds that I have an see what comes of them. I hope someone posts the future auctions on this site so I can catch it. Sorry about your lost on the seeds. We will get them next time. Only I won't bid hundreds of dollars for the seeds.

• allnitro
    9 years ago

If you go to the link that looks like this [Closed Auctions] on the auction page you can see what you bid on win or lose

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

redundant post deleted.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 12:51

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's great Bernd. I just looked at my seeds that I put in paper towels this morning and I see some germination. I ordered some and I put the scraps in the paper towels and they are germinating.
    Allnitro, does some of the people have seeds for sale after the auction? Do you guys know who've donated to the auction that have regular sites or seeds for sale? Even though I really need to handle what I have so far.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's great Bernd. I just looked at my seeds that I put in paper towels this morning and I see some germination. I ordered some and I put the scraps in the paper towels and they are germinating.
    Allnitro, does some of the people have seeds for sale after the auction? Do you guys know who've donated to the auction that have regular sites or seeds for sale? Even though I really need to handle what I have so far.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Doug Beilstein sells extra seeds from his hybridizing at his website http://hostaworks.com/. I bought some from there.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bernd, Hostaworks is great. Ive got my eyes on some. How many seeds do you get? It only says one.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I bought 4 packs from Hostaworks, three had 30+, one had 60 or so seeds. Plus I got a bonus pack with 30+. Prices are very low, especially when considering what I paid last night at the Auction.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. Thanks. I have to consider damping off and some seeds not germinating at all when I purchase seeds. In few years I will be posting beautiful pictures like you guys

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Here are the results of the seed auction. I picked up
    ('Plebe's Blues' x OP) x OP and 'Cranberry Wine' x 'Ringtail'

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Seed Growers results

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks smithstudios71, I missed my seeds my last set of seeds by one bid higher. I will check everything for time zones next time.

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Bernd, If you go into settings on your iPad, go down to Safari and tap on it, there is a name and password auto fill option that if you turn on will hold your Library name and password. It will automatically fill that in for you and the next bid applicable bid will already filled by the Hosta Library software and all you have to do is hit enter to bid.

I got some cool stuff last minute because all I had to do was hit enter. (just a tip)

Smithhostas71, congrats on acquiring the Cranberry Wine x Ringtail seeds. That's a great cross. Nice cross by Jim. I did it a couple of years ago and really liked the results. I kept about a half a dozen and like them all.

Dan

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Dan, you always have very nice hostas created!
    That was not my Ipad. Someone else in my house had to use my computer, but thanks for your info, I saved it for later use. I hoped to get your seeds of G4b x 'Cutting Edge' but did not really understand how that 3 minute limit worked, but that price then went very high. People know that you have wonderful hybrids and paid good money to the Forum! I also got very nice seeds, as it turned out all from Trudy. Now I wait to receive them and plant them in my very small setup, though I have a high of 4 seed trays this year.
    Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Stunning..stunning hosta, Dan!!

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Dan-that is a nice looking seedling! Hopefully you get some nice ones out of the Red Neck Heaven seeds too.

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Thanks smithstudios71, I'm looking forward to growing them.

Dan

• Josh Spece
    9 years ago

Received one of my auction wins today!