Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

H. 'Francee'? Very Doubtful, But It's OK

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Got this plant in 2011 I think, from a big box store in the area. It was labeled as 'Francee'. Well, it's OK, I do like this little fellow, but don't think it was labeled correctly. It was still a small-sized plant in 2013, but it looks like it's maybe gotten some mature characteristics. LOL As of now, it'll be in the 'NOID' category when the hosta alphabet kicks off.

Any idea what it could be? No points lost for wrong guesses, no money gained for accurate guesses. ; )

Happy Holidays, peeps...

Don B.
Snowy Westminster, CO

P.S. I enjoyed the bit of corrugation that it showed this season. Looks cool on such a small hosta.

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

agree ... the green is not the right dark green ... not even close ... and green .. being genetic.. shouldnt vary ... unless it was grown in a cave ....

the puckering looks off somewhat... could it have been cold damaged??? ... i dont want to suggest the alternative???

a scale would have helped ... or can you give us a number ...

i have no clue why... fragrant comes to mind... is there one with this color configuration.. that is fragrant????

ken

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Nope, you're right. It's not Francee. I have no idea of what it is, either. Francee is dark green with a smooth leaf (here we don't get much puckering) and a white margin. It's just like Patriot with a narrower margin.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 11:13

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Hi Don,

Looks like a virus infected So Sweet.

Chris

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

I am fairly sure it is not FRANCEE . I have several of them ,and yours is much too light green. The puckering is worrisome .

10 years ago

hey chris... great minds think alike... lol ... i just didnt want to commit myself ....

merry christmas

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

You are not the first to have an infected So Sweet. ðÂÂÂHere is a link from the past... So Sorry. ;-(

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX in So Sweet thread from 2011

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virused, eh? Well, can't say I'm too surprised, considering where it was purchased. Thanks very much for the info, peeps. Glad I posted the pic. It's outta here.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 17:22

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

It really is too bad, Don...it is a little cutie. Seeing as it is So sweet! and fragrant, are you going to replace it by any chance? just curious...:-)

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jo...Yes, as I was planning to buy a 'So Sweet' anyway (Not knowing what this variety is/was), I will indeed replace it. : )

Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I thought the same thing Chris said before I saw his post. Here's what So Sweet looks like when it doesn't have a virus.

And here's a leaf from the one I had that was infected:

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

At risk of seeming redundant, I have Francee and Bobbi So Sweet (sans virus) and yours is neither. I'm not disagreeing with Chris and Ken-Bobbi's isn't 'virused'.

My Francee is a teenager and has never had a sigh of puckering. In fact it looks exactly like the Francees pictured in this thread.

Bobbi's So Sweet is quite mature also and when I'd photographed it last year I didn't see any puckering either. From my observation would I be wrong in saying So Sweet doesn't pucker? I do recall it having slightly wavy margins though.

Theresa

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My So Sweets may occasionally show a small amount of puckering. I looked over my photos and found small amounts. However, hardly any of my hosta show puckering. My Francee is about 4 years old and shows no puckering.

Yes, So Sweet's edges undulate. Of all my So Sweet photos, this one shows it best. (There is a small amount of cold damage there, also.)

bk

10 years ago

its something 'weird' about the puckering ...

some puckering at the leaves emerging is not uncommon .. sometimes just cold damage ...

but on dons.. you see yellow threads in the green... even with the bizarre blue sky reflection ...

and the yellow threads.. for lack of a better word ... are the problem.. and the diagnosis ...

do not jump to conclusions and throw away plants.. just because of early spring puckering .... dx needs confirmation ... in this case.. the weird makes you look closer... for other signs ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'll check it out come spring. It was maybe a $3.00 plant, so I won't lose any sleep over it if I throw it away... I'll be looking at it very, very closely...The shovel is poised to strike : ) P.S. I've had it since spring 2011, and it's still under 12" across as of last summer...Ken saw virus, Chris saw virus, Gesila saw virus, Babka saw virus, etc....At least it's far away from other hostas.

Actually, regardless of price, I won't lose sleep tossing ANY infected plant outta my garden.

Thanks,
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 16:04

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah, BKay is the GO TO guy on SO SWEETs. :)

I was looking at Don's picture, and it gave me the uneasy feeling I got when I recognized that strange looking leaf on my Fried Bananas and Fried Green Tomatos last year. Leaves contorted and writhing in abnormal way. And then I read what Chris had to say, Ken had to say, oh yeah, that strange look makes you look for other factors.

But I was thinking a sport of Fragrant Bouquet, which is a very sporty gal. So Sweet is a hybrid of her, not so far from my possible ID. Getting better at this stuff, me yeah.
    ("Me Yeah" is the Cajun version of the Canadian "Eh" at the end of a statement.)

Don, if you have the strips to do so, give it a HVX test next spring. It might be a virus but something besides HVX? Inquiring minds want to know.

• User
    10 years ago

Aw, I forgot the picture of Fragrant Bouquet. July 2013

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, I love me some 'Fragrant Bouquet'! : ) Sigh, winter sure goes by more slowly once you've immersed yourself in hostas, doesn't it?

Found this Hosta in a flat of 'Guacamole'. After Jim Hartmann's 'tutorial' about sports and regressions, etc. I hesitate to call it 'Fragrant Bouquet', but rather a wannabe of FB. I'm keeping fingers crossed for any marked differences from FB in the future.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here she is, no wannabe in this pic. That's 'Parky's Prize' at bottom right tagging along.

Don B.