Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wisdom

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 18:33

I thought this was rather good: Knowledge tells us that tomato is a fruit. Wisdom tells us not to put tomato in fruit salad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wisdom

Great illustration!

o

Wow! all this time I done wrong!

What about a Hubbard Squash? That's a fruit.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 15:49

The hunger for facile wisdom is the root of all false philosophy.

o

For an aphorism to work it has to make sense, that was an aphorism kwoods. Yours needs some work.

o

Actually, it does make sense. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it's behind alot (not all) of the arguing that goes on over on the other side.

o

Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 15:58

Take it up with Santayana Inky.

I happen to agree with him, especially when referring to recipes for tomato salad.

o

KW, I prefer your aphorism over the OP. Not being contrary here but I've eaten fruit salads out of the can without tomatoes but have eaten salads with both fruit and tomatoes: tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, mandarin with young mizuna and raspberry vinaigrette.

o

I've eaten a peanut butter and jam sandwich from time to time but it wasn't my hunger for facile wisdom that made me do it, I knew that it would be good even though such judgments are the root of false philosophy.

o

Ink, eating pbj sandwich is not seeking wisdom, facile or not.

o

Fri, Feb 5, 10 at 15:28

In certain instances eating a pbj would be wise as well as facile. Not sure enjoying pbjs qualifies as a philosophy false or otherwise but perhaps it does.

What's wisdom? Is it not a philosophy, a knowledge of truth or justice derived through past experience or learning? Wisdom is hard won, it is the grind, been there done that, not something you come by easily facilitated by catchy sayings.

The only way I would know if a tomato doesn't ever belong in a fruit salad is if I've experienced every iteration of tomato inclusive fruit salad. Can I otherwise eliminate the possibility of a delicious melon, mint and tomato drizzled w/ extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt combination? Therefore I posit that the notion of tomato exclusive fruit salad amounts to false philosophy.

o

Oh well. The quoted aphorism was meant to demonstrate the difference between knowledge and wisdom and the superiority of wisdom. I understand that you think a fruit salad CAN have tomatoes in it and that a regular salad CAN have fruit in it but this does not alter the truth of the aphorism. Unless of course you also disagree that there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. I agree that this is a facile example (don't ALL aphorisms fall into this category?) but it was not intended as a treatise or as a philosophical absolute (if such a thing exists) it was certainly not presented as a law.

As for yours, do you think anyone hungers for "facile wisdom", it being an oxymoron by your own definition, i.e. "Wisdom is hard won". I don't think I understand what a "false philosophy" is perhaps it is presenting some loosely connected words as wisdom.

o

Man you guys will argue over ANYTHING!! LOL

o

Are you accusing someone of ANYTHING?

o
RE: wisdom tooth fairy

Yeah Bill, don't you have ANYTHING to say about ANYTHING or are you just arguing about NOTHING? Bet your team lost too.

o

Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 15:20

"Man you guys will argue over ANYTHING!"

That's just not true! I would never argue over anything, well maybe not never but rarely if ever. I'm far more likely to argue over nothing.

"do you think anyone hungers for "facile wisdom", it being an oxymoron"

Yes, I do. People want to deceive themselves into believing they're wise or can attain wisdom without having to do the work. Selling shortcuts to wisdom, happens all the time organized religion being the most obvious example.

Being a pragmatic absurdist it's my belief that people hunger for oxymorons more than they do most things.

o

Well, then, they've come to the right forum!! Oxymorons along with alot of OTHER kinds, too!!

:-)

(on BOTH sides!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here