Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Would I Google?

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 20:10

I had an acquaintance from New York make fun of me because I said "striped" stripe-ed.

as in blessed, wicked, cursed, beloved.

word + ed.

You can say blest or bless-ed, curst or curs-ed, belovd or belov-ed, but you always say wick-ed...

but there are other words that end in -ed that don't fit the pattern:

leapt or leaped, but not leap-ed
kept but not keeped or keep-ed

The ancestors whose speech patterns I learned were from Scotland & maybe England, & I'm pretty sure that that "ed" syllable is from that area.

but how would I research that kind of speech pattern?

(not to show off in front of the guy from New York, bless his sanctimonious little heart, but just so I will know.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Would I Google?

What?

:)

o

I understand what your saying, but haven't a clue as to what you'd google. Everything I google leads me to an ad or some entity that just wants my money. For instance, a few years ago you could go to whitepages.com and get a phone number or address (like looking in the phonebook, but online). Now you can't get anything without paying. Nothing, that we always took for granted, is free anymore and that really ticks me off.

Sorry for the rant, must be that glass of wine :)

o

There ya go sylvia.

Here is a link that might be useful: pronunciation

o

I think you should Google "witty responses to rude, small-minded people."

o

Thanks, ink.

That site is *very* thorough & clear as to modern English.

I might try researching Middle or Old or something...

"witty responses to rude, small-minded people." is tempting, but I'm afraid they either wouldn't get it, wouldn't believe it, or would claim I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

The funny thing about that guy is that he, like many other "rude small-minded people", doesn't even dream that his rigid rules & simple understanding might not be the whole story.

o

I googled "t or ed ending"

"xceptions to the "-ed" Endings Rules

OK. It's English so you know that there are going to be exceptions! If you are teaching your students pronunciation of the past participles of some verbs that are being used as adjectives, then a second syllable will be added even if the base form does not end in a /t/ or /d/ sound, and the "-ed" ending will be pronounced as /id/.

Common past participles used as adjectives with an additional syllable are: aged, blessed, crooked, dogged, learned, ragged, and wretched.

Fortunately, this exceptions doesn't apply to teaching pronunciation of English past tense verbs, just past participles when they are used as adjectives."

Here is a link that might be useful: English Past tense

o

Thanks!

o

Read Shakespeare.

Really.

From Romeo & Juliet: "All are punish'ed"

"Curs'ed"

It was more conducive for poetry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here