Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retirement

Posted by fouquieria 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 13:14

It's nice to have that extra time on your hands. I can now indulge in things I didn't have the time or resources for. I can take vacations when and where I want now. Save and collect things I want now. Do that extra bit of gardening or other hobbies I didn't have time or energy for.

I got on a new kick recently. On eBay I discovered these incredibly cheap vintage silk sarees. Over the last couple of months I accumulated some. Last month I contacted a young seamstress and she's in the process of making me some Hawaiian-style shirts. Over the decades, I use to collect Hawaiian shirts for $1-$2-$3 at Salvation Army or AmVets. About five years ago I returned about a hundred of them to SA and kept about 50. So anyway, next week I go to pick up the first batch of saree shirts. The fabric is spectacular and even though some of them are 70-80 years old and a few have holes or stains...there's enough material in these things to make shirts out of them. I gave the seamstress an old Hawaiian shirt that I liked to use as the pattern.

Anyway, to back to the original topic of the post...I now have time and the resources to do frivolous things like this.

-Ron-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retirement

Ron, I've been wondering for years where all those Hawaiian shirts went. Nice of you to put a few on parole.:)

o

I used to have an electric blue one with flaming ukuleles in among the palm trees - it would make people spill their coffee.

My brother stole it. At least thats my wife's story, and she's stickin' to it.

o

Wow! Gave me a great idea for the summer. Hawaiian shirts with mesh manties!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 10:20

Ron, if you're like me you may find that you have less time in retirement to post here. My postings dropped way off since "my" time is more important than wasting time at my old job. Sometimes I wonder how many posters here do most of their posting from their work pc? BTW, I have yet to get bored in retirement, even wonder when I had the time to go to work. Enjoy!

o

Here is one for you. My husband loved it after he retired.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

LOL! Retirement "work" is never done...

o

Here's some of those sari shirts I was talking about. I've got 14 of them so far. She makes about three of them a month for me. I'm going to have 20-30 made. A couple of them might be long-sleeved.

-Ron-

o

Hmm, think I'll go back to work...

o

Ron, those are beautiful!

Congratulations. If I ever see those gorgeous colors in a crowd, I'll know that it's you.

o

I love those shirts Ron.

I wish I had some blouses made in that fabric.
Should be easy .

Speaking of retirement. I love the idea of not having
to do anything.....I don't want to do !!!

o

Unisex lives!

o

My eyes! Don't touch my eyes!

-Mary Tyler Moore

(The eyes in the back of her head episode)

o

What is the fabric they are made with Ron?

For the right person who can carry them off, they really are marvelous!

I can't see one on my DH at *all* - but I could certainly see one on my favorite BIL, he would wear it with a great flair - I like the center one best of all.

o

mylab123, these shirts are made from old, 30-80 year old silk saris. They are offering tons of them on eBay. The saris themselves are approximately 3.5-4 feet wide and 15-20 feet long. The weight of the fabric varies alot and consequently I got some saris that were see-through and very gauzey and light weight. The ones I'm having made into shirts have more weight and body to them.

-Ron-

o

Here's another batch--

-Ron-

o

Thinking of a collection of manties made from shirts like this for next summer...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here