Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Nukular' is now in the dictionary!

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S IN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 7:28

Check it out.

nucular also appears in the Wikipedia Free Encypedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucular

I thought this was particularly interesting (cut from the Wikipedia).
S Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush (but not his father, George H. W. Bush) have all used this pronunciation. Jimmy Carter in particular had served as an officer on the United States Navy's first experimental nuclear submarine, and would have been well exposed to both pronunciations.

It has also been used by British Prime Minister Tony Blair..

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The Urban Dictionary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Nukular' is now in the dictionary!

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 10:11

At least Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary aren't authoritative. I think it'll be a good long time before Oxford or Webster accept 'nukular.'

o

I just cringe when I hear that unfortunate pronunciation. It sounds so ignorant. :-/

o

fishes,

I agree and I forgot to add to my post though that it's not in a 'real' dictionary.

Jen,
I used to cringe also, but am getting used to it because of all the fun made over the mispronunciation.

It does really get my goat though when folks argue that aint is a word, thus acceptable and correct to use. They say, "It's in the dictionary."

What they fail to read or realize, is that it is nonstandard or slang.

Sue

o

So if a group of presidents say "warsh" instead of wash,it will be heretofore incluced with an r? Dumbing down is alive and well.

o

They should check a real dictionary out of the "liberry".

o

Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 17:58

Oh, goody! This is one of my favourite pastimes - mispronounced words and faulty grammar!

My absolute favourite is "anticlimatic" instead of "anticlimactic." Anticlimatic implies that you're against the weather. Which is really weird.

Here is a link that might be useful: a houseplants forum discussion of grammar & vocab

o

Oh, gawd yes! I hate weather!

;-D

These drive me bonkers:

"irregardless"
and
"I could care less." Oh really? You could???

o

Okay ... be nice, some of us aint got fancy edumacations, and we dont mean to dumb down the language. We jest talk this way ... "irregardless" I still like you upper ed ladies (and gents). I might have to refer to the dictionary more than once a day, but that is okay because it gives me 50 cent words to use.

Peace and love ...

o

Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 20:16

Hey, now... only 50 cents? My words are at a buck now. Of course, that's Canadian :)

o

I don't think much about words that aren't pronounced correctly..heck,DH has a PHD in chemistry but says "warsh" because he grew up in Ohio and that's the way it was pronounced where he was growing up..in fact I used to say it that way. BUT..changing a dictionary is a whole other can of worms.

o

Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 10:16

Oh, but it's not a real dictionary - it's an online sorta-kinda-dictionary that anyone can submit a definition to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here