Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last Meal

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 19:22

Poetry aside, we seem to get along better if we're not discussing politics.

What would be your last meal if you could order?

My last meal:

Fresh tomatoes from the garden sprinkled with sea salt

Fresh butterbeans from the garden with homemade canned
chili sauce (tomatoes, onions, peppers, sugar and spices)

Lobster with clarified butter and lemon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last Meal

Hmm, I feel a food ditty coming on...

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 10:49

I think I would fast.... less clean-up.

o

I would like to have my first meal over again and not have to worry about the clean up. I have no idea what was in in it but boy did I GROW, the receptacle it came in has fascinated me ever since.

o

Oh, I'm so sorry I asked.

;)

o

That'll learn ya...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 10:10

A Thanksgiving style dinner would do....but I might not be too hungry.

o

As long as I don't survive to suffer the consequences of this last meal...

Dessert: the world's best vanilla ice cream with sauce made with the best blueberries grown or harvested. Triple helping, please.

Salad of mixed lettuces, heavy on butterhead and Batavian lettuces, "salted" with mixed nuts and chopped dried fruit and drizzled with walnut/raspberry vinegrette followed by fresh-ground black pepper and feta cheese. Side dish of Diva cucumbers in dilled sour cream and another side dish with wedges of the finest flavored tomatoes lightly salted with Kosher type and a dash of Meyer lemon juice as needed.

Buffet of Indian dishes, rich in curries, vegetables and nan as a transition to:

New England lobster, freshly caught, boiled in sea water, and served with drawn butter and creamy mashed potatoes and fine French peasant bread to sop up the drippings.

o

I'd start off with a course of really fresh Ahi tuna sushi slices, paper thin, with ginger/sesame dipping sauce.

Then head over to Marshall's table for a salad, but I'd go for Maytag blue cheese crumbles and toasted almond bits, with a vinaigrette made with ridiculously top quality olive oil and well-aged Italian vinegar, the kind of stuff the wine makers keep a small cask of down in the cellar - not balsamic, just concentrated red wine.

I'd even hang around for a good curry*. For your Diva cucumber salad, might I suggest a few leaves of french tarragon?

In the '52 hierarchy of tasty crustaceans, lobster has been edged out, by a nose, with the wild caught freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii because when you grill it, more surface area for the lemon butter baste.

I'll take a hot, freshly baked loaf of sour dough to soak up the juice.

For desert, it would be maple ice cream - made with real maple sugar - with a side of goose berry pie. Maybe with a pitcher of blueberry syrup just in case.

*One of the young Miss '52ers is currently 'involved' with a guy whose culinary passion is curries. We had one last week - lamb - when he was introduced to the rest of the family. I can already see where we'll be congregating for future Thanksgivings......

o

Thanks for the holiday invite, David. And the culinary suggestions and enhancements of my last meal. I was going to go with an old-fashioned New England clam bake, including a 2-4-pound lobster imbedded among the other crustaceans...

o

I have fond memories of certain foods...

My dad's mom: fried okra and black-eyed peas.
My mom's mom: potato leek soup with homemade rolls and butter.
My dad: homemade peach ice cream.
My mom: wild rice stuffing with sausage & clams & a whole lot of cream sherry.

-Ron-

o

Chicken & Dressing
Home Canned Green Beans cooked 5 hours w/ham hock
Deviled Eggs
Mashed Potatoes w/stick of butter
Homemade Yeast Rolls
Ice Tea w/lemon

Homemade Banana Pudding

Nothing fancy for me...I was raised on a farm.

o

My mother made her own root beer and bottled it and we lived in a city!

o

To start with:

She-crab soup, which I've come to adore since moving to Charleston.

To Marshall's for a salad. Heirloom tomatoes with fresh basil, as well.

Main course: seafood! Probably salmon with fresh herbs.

A side dish from India.

The best red wine from France: a St. Emilion?

for dessert: either pumpkin pie or old fashioned strawberry shortcake.

o

A nice 3 pound Maine lobster, a 20 oz prime rib cooked med rare, corn on the cob, mashed potatos, garden salad, and strawberry cheesecake for desert. :-)

Nothing extravagant. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here