Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hey Marshall

Posted by fl_gypsy (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 9:45

"Among the Amazonian tribes I visited,"

I've seen your comments more than once regarding items you've observed in your travels. I'm just curious.....alright, I'm being nosy :^) as to whether this travel was for business or pleasure.....if you don't mind my asking. If you'd rather not say I understand. You've written about visiting a few different tribes. I found that very interesting and wondered if it was just a sightseeing thing or if you got to really mingle and learn about the group you were with. You may have posted something regarding this previously but if you did, I missed it.

Me, if I can't drive ( meaning the US, Canada or Mexico) I won't see it as "I don't Fly and I don't Float". I've been in a majority of the states in the US and driven a ways into Mexico and Canada but just can't make myself get on a plane or ship. I have been up with my Daddy in his plane a couple of times and went up with my sister during a lesson once and those few times were more than enough. My Daddy tried to get me to take lessons (he was even going to pay for them) but I said thanks but no thanks. Not much that I am scared of, but flying and floating are two things that have me stymied. For anything out of driving possibilities, I have to live thru others adventures or read about it. Thank goodness there is always something new and exciting to see here in the US and I still have almost all of Canada to explore when I retire.....have driven quite a distance into Mexico in the past but don't think I will do that again as long as things remain the way they are right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hey Marshall

fl_gypsy, sorry I missed your questions to me. Been away celebrating Thanksgiving with children and grandkids. Flying never bothered me although flying Peruvian military transport was more dangerous than flying with local bush pilots. Today, I rather drive than turn myself into a member of a cattle herd jammed into a plane.

My trips to South America were all work-related during my "prior life" as an academic/researcher, although from the POV of those paying the bills some of those excursions might have been considered touring.

My earlier trips to Peru and the Amazon region were related to researching land/resource management of indigenous people. I was particularly interested in their ethnobotanical knowledge and how their fed themselves with so little effort and outside support.

Later I returned to work on "Green Revolution" rice research with formal field trials and some "farm extension" work getting local family farmers to grow the new grain varieties.

Toward the end of my academic career, I worked for some months in Venezuela putting my soil science and geomorphology training to work on an archeological project. That work was stimulated by a great drought that had hit the Llanos region (seasonally flooded grasslands and savannas). We were able to trench to depth for a study of the origins of ridged fields found in part of the Apure River drainage.

o

Forget the candles, it is time to take this forum off of life support...

o

Sounds like you had an exciting career. I read about foreign lands and sometimes think I would really like to see them but then that plane or float alarm flashes on in my head. My brother, who is a museum curator, would have liked your job. Unlike me, he flies and floats. He talks about sailing down to South America when he retires. He loves sailing, taking his kayak out, riding his bike around Lake O. or just traipsing thru the woods and I like doing all that too, except the sailing. Don’t float unless it is in a canoe and as long as it’s not in the ocean. ;^) Of course some people would think I was crazy for canoeing in places where it’s a possibility that you may see a gator as long as your canoe. Anyway, I think I would enjoy sitting down listening to some of your stories. I’m sure you have plenty of good ones.

o

Yeah, the first half of my life could be said to have been exciting; OTOH, the latter half has been more rewarding in many ways. Guess I am more like your brother while you are more like my brother. (He too is ultra-conservative!)

I bet you've good some good stories for me around that fire.

o

“He too is ultra-conservative”

Yep, I am usually ultra-conservative politically….other matters…..it depends. As far as war stories, I might have a few that you would enjoy as I’ve not always been conservative :^) and I am pretty adventurous other than being “skeert” of flying and floating. I’m sure tho, that you and my brother would enjoy each other’s stories.

Hey, it’s kind of nice sharing thoughts under a white flag. ;^) We’ll have to do it again one day.

o

Vvvvery good idea. Too many issues have become politicized. Seems too many folks cannot hold an opinion running counter to current POV's of partisan hacks.

o

OK, now the plug can be pulled...

o

Hoot!

o

Hey! Do I detect a flat line?

o

No...surely you agree...?

o

What is this? ______________________________________________________________________ ____

o

An inviting line to limn literary lines?

o

Good luck, I am just getting into the last life boat as this forum sinks below the Facebook waves...

o

I hope so. Facebook? Can't believe FB's host of trivial pursuits and meglomania.

o

Will send help from HT if there are any survivors...

o

What a refreshing thread! Almost makes me want to return to these forums....

o

All nymphs are welcomed here on the softer side of HT. We are nymphomaniacs, in fact, for nymphs on HT!

o

Take a cold shower and report back to HT...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here