Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this strictly a senior forum?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 4:40

Recent threads made me think that the average age of members is about 65. Thus , other than me, is there anyone younger? If so, please reveal yourself...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this strictly a senior forum?

well I'm 21.

o

Yes, and I believe in the tooth fairy...

o

oh, so you still have your own teeth?

o

tobr24u,
Chronologically?
Biologically?
Developmentally?

o

Well, I was thinking of chronological and would worry about bringing up any types of aging such as developmental... lol!

o

Fifty-ish, but feel like 100. Think a little younger-ish. Does that count?

I like to read opinions/input of all ages ;)

o

I'm a little under 65, but not by much. (55)

o

In my low 40s, look much younger, feel like a teenager.

o

49, look 70, feel like throwing a tantrum.

o

tobr24u, you are younger than 65? I never would have guessed that. I certainly am.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 8:32

"feel like throwing a tantrum"

LOL ... from some of the threads we get going here you would think we are all five years old. I said WE folks, don't get your panties all twisted up.

Sailing towards 70 ...

o

Interesting observation, tobr--I came to that realization during this past year after on a thread some revealed their ages and shared information which revealed ages.

For some reason I had never actually stopped to think of anyone's age and assumed many were in their thirties and forties based on their aggressive behavior toward other posters--a sign of the times, so to speak.

When I learned that several that routinely went out of their way to intentionally personally insult me and others and to be particularly aggressive in just challenging an opinion--were older than me by ten years or more--I was quite surprised. Shocked, actually. Then I thought of the generation just before me, the "flower children" and the frustrations of that generation, and the frustrations of becoming older, and it began to make a little more sense.

Of course that fact does not excuse that behavior, but I was able a little to empathize I suppose. It's easier to blow it off, for sure.

I think the forum is more interesting because of the experience and knowledge from primarily older posters.

o

I'm younger than 65. But then, y'all already knew that (school age son puts me in the "likely than younger 65" crowd).

:)

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 9:14

No, Senoritas are quite welcome to post here.

o

In dog years, I would be dead.

o

Using the Mayan cosmic calendar, interpreted by experts in archeo-scientology, I'm 14.

o

Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 9:56

I thought of the generation just before me, the "flower children" and the frustrations of that generation, and the frustrations of becoming older, and it began to make a little more sense.

And you thought that was necessary because ?????

Thank you for proving my point in another thread....

o

60 going on 12

o

According to AARP you are a senior if you are 50 or older so I guess we are a majority of Seniors.

I am not old enough to collect Social Security but my body should be collecting SS because it is of SS age. Living out of a suitcase for 20 years aged the young body pretty fast.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 10:21

55 (ok, 55.5) just like Bill. Hi, Bill!

"Then I thought of the generation just before me, the "flower children" and the frustrations of that generation, and the frustrations of becoming older, and it began to make a little more sense. "

Whoa, what the heck is that supposed to mean? I don't want to interpret you comment incorrectly, as perhaps I may have done before, so would you explain?

o

Not sayin' but I sometimes wonder who that lady in the mirror is!!! LOL

I was a teen in the 60's, 20's in the 70's . I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with how one feels about aging. Very strange comment indeed.

As the song goes

" Money talks

but it don't sing and dance and it don't walk.
And long as I can have you here with me

I'd much rather be
forever in blue jeans."

o
This is a forum full of wise people

Then I thought of the generation just before me, the "flower children" and the frustrations of that generation, and the frustrations of becoming older, and it began to make a little more sense.

ROTFLMAO.

That is too, too funny. I wouldn't go back to Demi's age, what ever it is, for anything. I don't know a single "senior" or "flowerchild" who is frustrated by anything.

There are people in every age group who will insult, even Demifloyd insults people, so what does age have to do with it? When we did our bullying, it was face to face, no cyber stuff - by the way, we invented all of this technology.

Seniors are MUCH wiser than young people, and you young folks should pay attention to what we say, we are usually right.

o

Respeta a tus mayores.

¿Quieres bailar?

Nunca se es demasiado viejo para aprender nuevos trucos.

Traeme mucha cerveza, por favor.

Hasta la vista, baby

Heno

o

Je prefere la definition francaise: je suis une femme d'un certain age. Age is a state of mind.

o

59.90 by my birth certificate (60 at the end of the month)

47 physically according to my doctor

27 in my head (before DH and kids)

I like living in my head. I saw a napkin the other day and on it was printed - Reality is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

o

Hay, you are soooo young at heart.

Hasta luego, paco.

o

This was the subtitle to the chapter about ageing in the Wheat Belly book.

"Lucille Ball: "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.""

Heno

o

tobr24u, you are younger than 65? I never would have guessed that.

That is cuz he is pulling your leg, esh.

Your nose is growing longer--will detract from your manties, tobr. Time to 'fess up. (I know the truth, o' caped one, from an earlier forum!)

I just turned 70 a month ago--retired last spring.

Frustrated? Heck no--I am so enjoying not having to meet schedules and deadlines anymore. No more overtime and deadly dull meetings and "duties" I'm not particularly interested in any more. Now I'm a woman of leisure and a free spirit to boot (to resurrect some language from the distant past)!

Kate

o

How old am I.....where do I live.....what is my name....
am I lost....lol.
I must be a senior.

Here is a little Joe for all of you today.

http://youtu.be/lPsFr0svG_w
http://youtu.be/E40e18LmhdM

Drat I just can't get the hang of linking a song.
Must be my age. :)

o

He's bilingual!

I agree Respeta a tus mayores.

Two of those phrases are probably very, very useful.

o

Kate if I can be 21 Richard is allowed to be less than 65 !

o

Well, I may be approaching 35 but definitely feel worn down and frustrated.

o

I was going to ask about your extreme youth, quinn--but what the heck. None of my business why a young squirt like you would hang out with so many seniors. LOL

Myself, I'd rather be 35--that was a good age--as the old saying went, old enough to know better, young enough to do it again!

Kate

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 11:25

56 tomorrow. Old enough to be tired. Tired of umpteenth rendition of Can Dish it but Can't Take it to be brought to even a thread with a more or less completely non-hot original subject like this.

o

"Old enough to know better and young enough to enjoy it still"

o

I could never understand why people say they would like to go back to being a teenager. If you go back you are the same person and would do the same dumb thing all over again. Why would I ever want to relive those dumb mistakes for a second time?

o

I'm a decade behind you, bboy, and I still heartily agree.

o

I'll never see 65.....again. Don't miss it either.

-Ron-

o

60 and I used to think that was so old! Now that I'm there I know it isn't old.

o

Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 12:50

Or is it?

C-r-r-r-eak.

o

Chronologically younger than 65, but feeling very much older... both physically and in other regards.

o

C-r-r-r-eak.

bboy, your loppers need oil!

o

47, but I feel younger in some ways. I think I could pass for about 40. Honestly, I started doing something which several people told me made a difference in my perceived age - Just For Men on my hair and beard. Vain perhaps, but it works.

o

Happy Birthday bboy!

o

Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 14:15

Thanks!

Maybe they should call that hair stuff Just for Me.

o

As an aging hippie, I feel so good when I'm on the treadmill going at 4.4 mph and a 20 or 30 something is plodding along beside me at 2 or 3.

I don't particularly like getting old, but considering the alternative... Youth is wasted on the young.

o

LOL, lily316, I feel the opposite when some 25 year old is going 6 or 7 or 8 mph, or bench pressing 180, or on his roughly 209th push-up in 5 minutes.

Makes me feel old, but wish I could have a "do-over" and be 25 again.

Trust me, my life would be very different if I had a do-over, including pursuing a PhD as I had once wanted to.

o

Denni--47 isn't too late to pursue that PhD, if you want it badly enough. I remember one of my professors--had gone through a real mid-life crises. Changed his wife, changed his religion, and changed his profession--started graduate school in his late 40s to get his PhD in English (he was a lawyer before). When I knew him in his 50s, he was the most relaxed and happy person I had met in a long time. He became a college English professor in his 50s.

Think about it.

Kate

o

I believe that everyones would be different if we could and did choose to have a do over, one small undoing could change the course of one's entire life.

I will be content with my age unless the ability to cover the gray disappears or until I can no longer manage in really high heels. Well....high heels anyway, the super dupers probably do have their shelf life pretty close ahead.

But...not today and not tomorrow either, so I'm still fine with it! :)

o

Ditto what Kate said to you denni. It's never too late. You've only hit midpoint, lots of living to do (at elsat you better be, we're practically the same age)!

o

There is often a sense of superiority in being younger than someone else-not wanting to point fingers of course but I have noticed in my life a certain amount of jealousy in the generation that followed boomers-though you have to be younger than 10 years under flower children to really qualify as not a boomer. we got so much attention-the entire world as we knew it changed to accomodate us. To this day we suck all the air out of a room and as we hit retirement..well the fan is running.
While I wont post my exact age as I dont want my info scraped I am under 65 but over 55. Having faced the grim reaper squarely in the glassy eyeball I dont have any problem with being older but it would be nice if my body didnt get older first. I have always been told I dont look my age but I am perplexed as to why that should be a pleasing situation-if you ask a 15 year old we are all of us older than god. It is relative and age is not a merit thing. I knew a woman who was attending a HS football game and one of the kids ask her which of the players was hers and she had a fit that this brat would think she was old enough to have a kid on the team-but she was old enough, just not in sinc with where she was in her biological life. funny...

o

I'm as old as the universe. Currently, this incarnation makes me in my very early fifties.

Kate, I can't believe you are 70! You post like a 46 year-old.

o

patriciae, you hit on two things I find important about age. I get tired of being called kiddo. I've heard it more than once. I've lived. Loads. I don't think I am all that young. Certainly not young enough to be a kid. Is it supposed to be some sort of nicety to call me young?

And the other is, you can look death in the eyeball at any age. So don't worry about it. Death and I squared off face to face when I was 26. Because I did so when I was young all I could really do was learn to really get my priorities right. Let that be all that death does to you.

I consider myself on the cusp of being a flower child. I grew up giving and receiving flowers. Freedom abounded and I learned to respect the Earth, my fellow man as concrete and necessary. It seems like those a good ten years younger than I am (and I'm a decade younger than you) are really the ones with the attitude problem... ;)

so that leaves me with the impression, hubris. Reflecting hubris. I don't think my generation is any more entitled than yours, but then next one, oy! Right? What is it Kierkkegard said? "There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming." Maybe as one ages, one finds themselves, and the security of being. It is likely the only factor.

To categorize all into flower children or not, negates who they really are.

This post was edited by rob333 on Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 16:24

o

If only oil would fix all the moving parts... when does the human parts catalog come out for 2013? I need to place an order...

o

Kate, I can't believe you are 70!

Guess what, althea. I have trouble believing it myself!

As patricae so wisely said, I dont have any problem with being older but it would be nice if my body didnt get older first.

Forget the high heels. Been some time since I could manage them--I still stop and look at a really cute pair occasionally--before I remember I can't wear them any more. (darn it!)

Kate

o

Happy Baby-Day Bboy! (and simply ignore the background noise).

51, and hoping that once I'll reach Kate's age I'll still be kicking butt like she does!

o

Happy Birthday, Bboy!

o

I don't care what AARP says, 50 is not senior, and not even close. It's middle age. However, I do understand their objective to have as large a membership as possible.

I'm 53, have had some health issues, but basically pretty healthy with a high energy level. I attribute most of it to 30+ years of yoga and veggies. Also, regular physical and mental exercise (with a little hard labor thrown in now and then).

o

Shall we all post picks and crown the most haggard se�or and se�ora?

o

So you're going to live till 106?

o

I've always figured mid-70's would be a nice "endgame" for me. I've suffered long enough, and that will give me plenty of time to watch my Grandchildren grow and become the happy, successful adults they're on their way to becoming... if I make it that long.

The only thing that's certain in this life is that we're going to die at some point. I'm prepared. It's not always quantity that's important or desired, but quality.

o

Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 19:53

Thanks for the additional wishes.

o

I don't care what AARP says, 50 is not senior, and not even close. It's middle age. However, I do understand their objective to have as large a membership as possible.

I don't know if life expectancy is 78 at best. If you are 50 you have at best 28 more years. 50 closer to the end to me to make it a Senior age. I am not thinking middle age is going to be 50 when the majority of people live until they are 100 or over.

2010 is age 78.3, which is the highest it's ever been. Five years ago, the average life expectancy was 77.4 years old, while 50 years ago it was 69.7, showing a consistent increase of longevity.

o

Facing the not so big 65 very shortly until recently felt in my 30's. If a do over I would do 35-45.

Last night went to a visitation for the mother of a classmate, graduation 1967, we both discussed how sorry we were to see how the youth today do not have the opportunities that we had to experiment and grow. Many from the 60's-70's found that there are times to speak up and time to do things. Most younger never had the opportunity to find there own person within.

o

Life expectancy, in the US, for 2009 is 77 years for men, 81 years for women, but......if you are now 65 years old, you can expect to live to be 85 years old. The longer you live, the longer you live. So most of us will be around for a while longer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Most of the women in my maternal family have lived past 100 years old. Paternal side comes very close to that. So I figure I will see 95 at least.

Luckily, they are also in very good physical shape right into their 80's and 90's. Good breeding, hardy stock.

o

Here's how I look at it.

0-20 - childhood
20-40 - young adulthood
40-60 - middle adulthood
60-80 - old adulthood (senior)
80-100 - ???

So chronologically 53 years old may be past the mid-point of life (unless you live until 106), but I'm in the middle of the adult productive years of life. The prime of them, actually, although middle-age adulthood may not be the prime of one's physical life, knowledge, experience, bank account status, etc can more than balance that out.

o

Chronological age only applies in such averages if no external interference takes place. I would be at the height of middle working adulthood if external circumstances beyond my control hadn't removed a good portion of physical ability from the equation. There are a lot of Americans who fit into this "should be" category.

o

Thank goodness I am no longer the youngest in the group!!

o

o

Ron - that is very funny!

I am early 50s. AARP has been mailing me stuff to join for a few years. It goes immediately into recycling. It must be a mistake. I am not AARP material. Yet.

My parents are old! Dad will be 94 next month, and mom will be 90 early March. Paternal grandmother lived well into her 90s. So, I figure I have a long way to go.

o

Only to 80?

o

I am early 50s. AARP has been mailing me stuff to join for a few years. It goes immediately into recycling. It must be a mistake. I am not AARP material. Yet.

Hey, there are a lot of great deals to be had through some of those organizations. Don't be so quick to throw it away.

o

Chronological age only applies in such averages if no external interference takes place.

Yes it encompass so many things which is why I agree that around 50 is Senior.

What amazes me is you see a 50 yr old man buying a sports car and he crawls out of the little car with one strand of hair swirling around his head trying to cover his bald head. Or wost a taupe. I call it the Hugh Hefner life.

Okay I will not just laugh at the men that have not realized they are a senior.....

Women with bleached blond teased hair tight jeans so tight to show that no matter how much exercise they have done they no longer have that bumping 20 year old body or the 20 year old bounce in their step to carry off the outfit or the 20 yr old hairdo of days past.

I do not think Senior is at the end of life but you are a Senior because you have lived long enough to know better. Not that you DO know better but should know better.

My chart
0-17 - childhood
18-30 - young adulthood (voting age, criminal responsible etc)
31-49 - middle age
50-70 - senior
71-100 - elder

o

Marquest, although age 18 is the start of most legal responsibilities (ex. drinking alcohol), it is rarely the start of productive adulthood for people (at least in the US). Most kids are going off to college, which I consider the "fledgling" period of life - the baby birds have fledged the nest, but they are still watched over and fed by adults for some time after that. Also, the brain/body of a child does not fully stop growing until about age 23.

And you consider 31 to be "middle-aged"? Who has a "mid-life crises" at age 31? That is still prime physical and fertile territory. Especially as life spans extend, women have babies at an older age, and people work well into their 60s and 70s. I will have to tell my 69 year old locksmith, who hustles his butt around faster than many young people I've observed, often works 6 days a week, that he is almost "elder" and should be ready for a cane!

And AARP is poorly-named anyway - how many people are "retired" at age 50?

o

I can honestly say I did not feel "senior" until I hit 65. Even then I resisted it--went on working for 4 more years--but there was no doubt that I was starting to have physical problems I never had before--actually probably going back to when I was in my earlier 60s. Hitting 70, however, you can no longer fool yourself about your age. You are senior. I still go outdoors and climb a 10 foot ladder to paint the trim on my porch (last month's project), but I do it more slowly and it takes longer to get the job done--but it gets done. And come spring, I have about 10 roses coming that I ordered online. I have every intention of digging those 2 foot holes and planting them all myself--but it might take a day or two longer. But that's all right. They don't give prizes for fastest rose planter, after all. LOL

Kate

o

My chart
0-17 - childhood
18-45 - adulthood
46-60 - middle age
60-75 - seniors
76-100 - elderly

Now, I've used senior and elder just as Marquest has, but that line is the most flexible. Generally, the line between senior and elder is determined by how mentally and physically capable a person is.

For example, I know 80 year old ladies with sharp minds and physically capable of getting around (with maybe a slight twinge here or there). They are seniors.

I also know people in their 60's who are physically decrepit and are also experiencing early dementia. They are elderly.

o

The qualification age for some of the senior centers, senior housing projects, senior mobile home communities etc is 50 years old.

o

I barely recognize many of the people I attended school with since they've gained so much weight, or they've aged so poorly.

Many in their early to mid 40s look at least 10 to 15 years older than their actual age.

o

I like Hamiltongardener's age delineations--they are more to my thinking.

I don't feel old, although I'm in my fifties. But, I found out this holiday season that I can't cook huge meals for guests, clean, entertain, and stay on my feet for as long as I used to.

I just got back in from dragging out 15 roses from the Antique Rose Emporium into the rain for a good drink this morning. Kate, you won't be the only one digging those holes and planting roses--I hope to get mine planted in February, and it will probably take me more than one day.

Oh well.

o

HG's brackets seem highly reasonable. I also prefer her qualifier.

o

Well, I just called a couple of grocers in the local area, that offer senior discounts. One starts at 60 years old; the other is 62 years old.

(Yeah, I'm procrastinating doing end of year financials and other crap this morning).

o

76 - 85 is elderly, above 85 is considered the frail elderly - whether you are frail or not. Those years after 85 are very precarious.

o

Hey, there are a lot of great deals to be had through some of those organizations. Don't be so quick to throw it away.

Yes, I've been told but I just can't seem to get myself to do it! Eventually, but not yet.

At a gathering at a friend's house around New Years, I was talking to someone and somehow the subject of age came up. When I told him my age, he was shocked. I love that. I get it a lot. Most people don't believe me when I tell them my age. I've always looked younger than I am. When I was 18 it was annoying to get proofed all the time. But, now I totally enjoy it!

o

Eventually, but not yet.

I'm not a senior yet, but hubby has come to the age where he is eligible for different discounts. So, that makes me eligible for them too. YAY!

Like you, I am a bit surprised that many "seniors" discounts start at the age of 50.

o

I am cranky this afternoon so this just made me think how it sucks to get older, no matter how you slice it. Eventually you are going down so what difference does it make when or at least trying to calculate when that day will arrive. And contemplating how you will go is just as depressing as when you go, so just add that if you want to completely depress the he11 out of yourself. I don't know,,, but when you start focusing on age and categorizing people in age brackets it does depress those who already can imagine seeing the "light" at the end of the tunnel.
As for Senior discounts, I was recently asked by a check out clerk if I had one and of course, I was taken aback.
Of course not!" I responded. (Yeah, that won't be until next year...)

o

I like HG's chart. I agree that the discounts start at different ages, but I always use them. As one who loves going to the movies, senior discount is $6.50. Many stores around here offer them and restaurants too.

It's not chronological age that counts it's physical. I used to be young looking, and guess I still am younger looking than my age. But the real pleaser was when our new paper boy was collecting, when I was into my 50's, asked if my mother was home. I could have kissed him because I was a grandmother .

I, too, hate to see bleached blondes squeezing into totally inappropriate clothes for their age...trying to look 17. That said, my two grandmothers at my age sat in their rocking chairs with their long printed house dresses on and their laced up sturdy black shoes while me at the same age is in a tank top and shorts on the treadmill at the gym.

o

I am 60 in two weeks. I am NOT a senior! ;)

o

I'm a senior. As my grandson said yesterday when he destroyed me in 4 games of Racquetball: "Grandpa, you shouldn't get mad at yourself because you don't win. You're old and I am young."
'Nuff said. I'm 64 and he is a strong 11.

o

I consider being 60 in my community with the kind of life I led beyond lucky!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 15:29

Ya'll is OLD! ;)

46..... my 15 year old son is 6'3" and learning to drive.

"Whoa-oh what I want to kno-ow, where does the time go?"

o

If time is flying for you at 46 - just wait!

o

Well, I don't know about all this stuff. One of my friends turns 79 in August. When he needs to be picked up from the hospital, his mother (who lives next door to him) drives over and picks him up. She's 97 and has to take a yearly driving exam now. She has her hair done and tinted (blonde) every week and wears stylish pants suits, so I'm not sure what qualifies as 'frail elderly'.

-Ron-

o

One of my friends turns 79 in August. When he needs to be picked up from the hospital, his mother (who lives next door to him) drives over and picks him up. She's 97 and has to take a yearly driving exam now.

OMG, does that mean it's true? Chauffeuring the kids around NEVER ENDS, even when I'm 97 years old?

I thought I was so close to FREEDOM!

o

Husband was skiing yesterday with a 94 year old.

o

There are exceptional people who live longer more vigorous lives than average, but the truth is probably closer to my father's experience, who at 82 years old has outlived almost all his college friends, roommates, teammates, and fellow sailors. He has pretty much entered the "frail elderly" stage, although he has no dementia which is nice.

Nobody knows how long they have, regardless of their age. There are averages, or probabilities, but no certainty. As I get older I am feeling increasing urgency to "seize the day", start doing some things for myself, and try to enjoy what there is left. Not finding this easy to achieve with aging parents, a dependent son who has tuition bills, workload, etc. but I'm hustling every day to somehow get closer to that goal (that sounds contradictory??).

o

Kwoods, I listened to "Uncle John's Band" @ noon today. Think this through with me.

o

55....and bollocks to being a senior - I am still a juvenile delinquent.

o

I realize people are living longer but it seems the longer they live it is not really living.

o

I know when I read articles about scientists saying we should live to be 100 or 125, or whatever, I think that would not be a good idea.

If I could be 30 or 40 or even 50 for 10 more years, that would be good, but to be 100 or 125 and frail and debilitated, that's not for me.

o

Only senior discount I use is with motels when traveling. The rest I leave to people that need the extra savings. Hubby has lunch once a week with a group that will only go where there is a senior discount. Having been careful with my savings I do have the money to spend but acknowlege that some need it. My personal feeling is that if I have to have the discount I should not be buying something other than a necessity.

o

tobr24u, it has taken me this long to come up with a witty answer. Your posts can be quite challenging.
My age range is 'Younger than I look; older than I feel".

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 9:54

@Althea... ;)

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 10:55

I've been eligible for the senior discount for many, many years, and don't even think about using it, and am never asked if I want it.

Must be my girlish good looks.

o

Mom...Funny, I have that same picture. Very similar dress, same exact shoes,same barrettes on each size and the exact pose with the leg under and the positioning of the hands. Only I had pale pink nail polish on. I think mine was taken at Olen Mills, but that must have been the pose of the time..

o

Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 12:13

Old starts at 50 and dead starts at 80.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 12:21

There weren't so many choices then. We all wore Stride Rite shoes, had a few dresses, for church, and a few other clothes, and that was it.

That was taken in Portland, Maine in 1950. My mother has photo's from Penney's too, as do I, and now my DD. It's good some things never change.

o

I kind of think being told you dont look your age is like being told I love what you did with your hair...

Great picture momj-those shoes..you had to use that liquid white polish that got all over everything-you can see from the end of your toe that you were a 'kicker' Mine were Buster Browns but they looked the same.

o

I have the same photograph too. In fact, mom47, we look like long lost sisters.!

o

terrene said: As I get older I am feeling increasing urgency to "seize the day", start doing some things for myself, and try to enjoy what there is left. Not finding this easy to achieve with aging parents, a dependent son who has tuition bills, workload, etc. but I'm hustling every day to somehow get closer to that goal (that sounds contradictory??).

No, it sounds like what millions of people like us are dealing with as we get older. I love your attitude and admire your energy to deal with everything yet still find time for yourself.

o

That is funny we could all be long lost sisters. I also had Buster Brown. My problem was my Mom was paranoid all her girls would have flat feet like her so all her girls wore Buster Brown with a Dr. prescription Orthopedic arch development special order shoes.

We all had to wear those ugly shoes until we were 8 years old. Boy was I teased.

But I thank her to this day that I have cute size 6 feet with beautiful arch. There are always beautiful shoes cheap size 6 left on the shelf.

o

Quit hanging on to the handrails.....let go. Surrender.
Go for The Ride Of Your Life.

WISH I could do this. And I think I have already lived the
ride of my life .

This post was edited by citywoman2012 on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 20:18

o

"There weren't so many choices then. We all wore Stride Rite shoes, had a few dresses, for church, and a few other clothes, and that was it."

True. As second girl child, I pretty much knew what I would be wearing. And the shoes? Saddle shoes from Sears, Roebuck catalog; brown saddles or black saddles? That was the choice. :)

OP question: Under 65.

o

I have a similar photo of my mom with almost the exact pose, a dress almost the same, but shorter, and curled hair with bows! She was sitting on her mother's vanity dresser (which I have had for thirty years), so the photographer came to the house. That photo reminded me of "Darla" in The Little Rascals or Our Gang, I forget which is which.

Also, we have family photos taken by "street photographers" in cities where mom and her mother were walking down the street, photos would be taken of strangers and then posted outside stores the next day or so and people could purchase photos of themselves. I also have one of my grandfather sitting at a table in a restaurant--same type of photographer.

I imagine there are privacy issues now, of course anyone snaps anything they want with a cell phone.

o

momj47...forgot to tell you that picture made me smile.
The light in your eyes was beautiful.

You were a darling little girl.
Never asked if you want the senior discount.
So you must have been what in the picture.....about 16
then???? Lol.

o

I also wore Buster Brown shoes for a very long time. I wore Stride Rite on my kids for a year or so. I remember the liquid roll on polish. I also have a small foot...5 and 1/2 or 6 with a very high arch. We can get bargains sometimes because it seems women's feet are bigger today. I remember when I was real young looking in the Xray machine at the shoe store seeing my feet, and how the shoe fit. Crazy!

o

I hated those saddle shoes and I wasn't allowed to wear black - my grandmother thought black was an inappropriate color for young children. I wasn't even allowed to have patent leather shoes and was so jealous of my cousin who did.

o

I wasn't even allowed to have patent leather shoes and was so jealous of my cousin who did.

Jersey that would have made me sad too. Probably because I had to wear those ugly Buster Browns so long the black patent leather shoes were my first footwear joy. Of course we were not allowed to wear them until Sunday. But I could not wait to go to church so I could put on those shoes. I had a pair of White patent leather shoes too because the First Sunday we had to wear all white.

o

The first urban myth that I ever heard was about patent leather shoes (I must have been 6 or 7 years old). I heard that you weren't allowed to wear them to church because the boys could see your underpants in the reflection of your shoes!

o

I also wore Buster Brown shoes for a very long time.

That's my dog Tige; he lives there too.

Plunk your magic twanger Froggy.

-Ron-

o

Nice!

o

you weren't allowed to wear them to church because the boys could see your underpants in the reflection of your shoes!

That is funny, I never heard that one before. I did take great pride shinning those shoes. Little vaseline on a napkin and rubbing to the brightest shine possible.

o

I always heard that was the message the nuns teaching in the Catholic grade schools drummed into the heads of the young girls--kind of an early form of sexual abstinence teaching, as it were.

I wasn't there myself, but my later Catholic friends used to tell long stories about the social teachings of the good sisters--and some of their super strict notions of proper pedagogy also.

Kate

o

Hericles, thank you for your supportive words, the truth is I'm not having all that much success carving out a life for myself as yet, thought it would be easier when my son went off to college, but find there's even more financial pressure now because of tuition bills. Oh well.

I've observed many people who plan to do interesting things when they retire, or during their golden years, and then their health doesn't cooperate, or worse, they drop dead a year or two after retiring!

o

Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 14:23

Have a pic of me, same time period, with a "pinafore and patent leather shoes" .. cannot get my scanner to scan, if I do I will upload it.

o

I'm just past 70. Naturally, I was photographed in 'the pose'. My mother had a pastel painted of me when I was four; same pose. There's another pose for little girls: Seated on the lawn before a flower bed, holding some posies and looking over the shoulder at the camera. I wore a pinafore. (How 'quaint'.)

Many of us are still alive because of medical breakthroughs in WWII. Some of our elders seemed a lot older at 50 and 60. They had poor diets and hard working conditions. We were at war. They died younger. (Did everybody's parents and their friends smoke and drink with abandon in the WWII era?) I saw people the age I am now who were dying 'of old age' when I volunteered with my town's VNA in the 1970's.

I believe I lived most fully between 20 and 55. (Ladies *age fast* post-menopause.) However, my DH and I are quite happy now and hope to stay *alive* a little longer.

I'm amazed to realize that when I was younger, I would look at Senior women, and NEVER THINK that would be ME!

I could 'seize the day' better without the COPD, arthritis, and two old hip replacements, but I'm still here!

o

You guys are all old.

Like Youngquinn, I am also 21.

o

Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 15:21

Maybe change the name to Fart Topics then.

o

I also have a picture of me on a pony looking scared as hell. Apparently people traveled neighborhoods with ponies back in the day, and my grandfather had the picture taken. Here's this blonde haired, big eyed kid with this little scared look on her face, but today it's priceless because he died before I was six.

o

This brings back memories! My mom probably still has the same posed picture of me and I remember both my brother & I having our pictures taken on the back of a fat pony in our front yard, wearing the cowboy/cowgirl hat & gear furnished by the photographer.

o

None of that back talk, you whippersnappers!

o

Kwoods, have you heard the Mickey Hart Band yet? We've seen them twice and have their cd, probably the all time best cd title, "Mysterium Tremendum". Here's a video he just put online of them doing "White Room". Crystal Monee Hall's voice is incredibly beautiful

Here is a link that might be useful: mickey hart band

o

I'm always told I look younger than my age(67) but,alas, it doesn't change that I am 67!

o

Those who were born between the years of 1946 and 1964 all fall into the societal grouping that is known as the baby boomers.

Those older or younger than the baby boomers participating in this forum perhaps bring an interesting and fresh perspective to the topics we discuss, perhaps not, that is probably an individual's perspective of each forum member.

I find most here to be intelligent, interesting people who carefully think out their positions. Not all, but most. Although volatile at times, I usually find some point of view to be interesting - or at least interestingly curious, most times I come in.

I believe this forum is less than it was and less than it could be when some past members were active, I always hope I will see a post by them when I do come in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here