Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you ever participated in a prez inauguration?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 4:40

Been in the crowd, marched in a parade, attended a ball? Or maybe just like to...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you ever participated in a prez inauguration?

Yes. I was elected president of the local auto restoration club last year.

But we only spent $38 on the ball. Pizza and drinks.

o

Well, did you have to dress for the occasion?

o

Yes. It isn't a nudist colony!

o

I will go to my grave saying that I've never participated in inauguration events. No interest.

o

Hmm, too bad, might have been more fun...

o

what about YOu ricahrd, have YOU ever participated in pne?

o

Yes, and I danced with Jackie. Oh, and the food and drink were out of this world....

o

You danced with Jackie while John danced with Marilyn.

o

Yes, but my dance with Jackie never led to an affair...

o

Yes, I went to all the inaugurations and parades, from Truman to Johnson, and the Kennedy funeral.

My father was in charge of public building safety for the Government, so we always had a good seat for the parades.

We weren't invited to the balls, though.

o

No.

I see no circumstances where I would ever care to unless
a family member was being inaugurated.

o

No and this year I had a chance and because of illness I cannot attend. I really wanted to be there so bad. I feel this is more historical than the first election of our first Black President and the way people all over the world view the country.

When you go out of the country it feels good to hear positive comments from people about your President. I felt I was treated differently when Bush was in office.

I feel good when people from other countries post positive comments here too. It is like when people say you raised a good daughter feeling.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 11:51

Sadly, no, and I wouldn't have guessed it'd be that way after moving to the East. Each time beforehand, though, it seems the worst possible time time to visit Washington (I'm a big sightseer), and we never have a group going to entice us there anyway. But without fail when the time comes, regardless of who we've elected, I wish we were there--just about the time, in fact, that even imagining trying to get to the Mall is a nightmare. :)

o

I attended Nixon's second inauguration as part of a protest group.

o

"Yes. I was elected president of the local auto restoration club last year.

But we only spent $38 on the ball. Pizza and drinks."

Your inauguration sounds like more fun than those stuffy pageants full of people who are full of themselves. :-)

I'll come and bring some beer.

"I see no circumstances where I would ever care to unless
a family member was being inaugurated."

Not even then, as much as I love most of my relatives. I can barely get through weddings, but at least they serve fun beverages once you get through the grinding tedium and the flagrant affectations, so you don't have to be bored for long. :-)

o

Facto, since it was declared by Somebody, in factual terms, that you are a college student (working on your dissertation!), then it is not possible for you to have been anything more than but a wish your parents dreamed for at that time!

Unless, of course, Somebody is using their home grown, meaningless fuzzy logic. Yet again. Somebody does that with fair frequency, providing a kind of bewildered amusement, unless a dose of ugly is an added ingredient, which it often is.

No, never would- I couldn't stand all those crowds for that long a period of time. I also find porta-potties to be kinda scary so it's really not for me. Seeing history unfold via the television, as it happened, was wonderful enough. I watch all our presidents swear their oath, regardless of who they are. They will be the President of my country, it is an historic day.

o

Like Factotum, I marched in the Nixon counter inaugural parade.

Being a native of Washington DC, until after 9/11, catching a glimpse of the inaugural parade or even the swearing in from a great distance was not that hard to do.

What I remember more as a child was sitting on my parent's car on Wisconsin Ave. in a monumental traffic of stopped traffic; every car with its lights on, we all waited and watched for the helicopter briinging JFK's body to Naval Medical Hopital. There was not a sound to be heard from the time the helicopter came into sight until well after the helicopter landed and his body moved to the ambulance.

o

mylab123 wrote,

Facto, since it was declared by Somebody, in factual terms, that you are a college student (working on your dissertation!), then it is not possible for you to have been anything more than but a wish your parents dreamed for at that time!

Ah, but it was a wish that came true; I was at the protest at Nixon's inauguration with my father. A wonderful memory.

The "Somebody" (Citywoman) descended to yet another attempted ad hominem attack in lieu of addressing issues, and again resorted to deploying the Bully Gambit, with a new twist -- an attempt to drive a wedge between me and the others on the left here on the board. A surprisingly sophisticated tactic, though I am confident it will backfire. After all, the chasm between the dishonest conseratives and others on HT was in existence long before my arrival; all I have done is brought out the character and depth of the core behaviors that feed the divide.

I am still hoping that a conservative with character and integrity will step forward and side with truth regardless for the implications for other conservatives and their statements/positions. I would respect that.

o

LOL at some of the comments. Sorry, just came to snoop as I am not American so I am not on the up on inaugurations. It was very star studded though as I caught a glimpse of this years. Are they usually so?

o

We got close, this time. Drove around the beltway on sunday afternoon, the actual inauguration day. Very little traffic.

o

Never been. If I had any thought of ever going, this comment:

I also find porta-potties to be kinda scary so it's really not for me

changed my mind. I do not do port-a-potties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here