Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No more farmers' markets for me this summer!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 5:17

I am sticking to the supermarkets from now on as their food is inspected and the farmer's' markets is not. Surely you might want to consider the implications of this yourself....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No more farmers' markets for me this summer!

the fruit and vegetables I buy at the Farmers market is so much fresher...and to put it bluntly i would rather support Australian farmers than the imported , sub .standard stuff that is dished out at the supermarkets...and who wants to make the supermarkets any richer when most of them are AMERICAN owned.
I prefer to keep the profits in my country.

I will never forgive you lot for now owning vegemite !!

o

I'm very disappointed in the Farm Market here. Most of the cukes, melons, apples and peaches and corn are imported from other states or Mexico and Canada. I'll go directly to the orchards and pick my own this season.

It seems many of the Farm Markets have migrated to baked goods. The stuff with high calorie, high carb compositons..

No thanks! I prefer home grown goodies like you advertise.

I'll shop elsewhere.

o

Just watch out not to make a new "friend" named Sal...

o

LOL. Our "farmers markets" are becoming bake sales and food truck stops. Not many farmers left any more. It is a nice place to get lunch once a week, but there's not much farm produce available.

o

I always buy from local farms in season.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 8:10

"not many farmers left any more"

No but you can still get locally grown with a little effort .. since the local food movement is not quite as "fringe" as before there are more people growing/raising for local markets. I know the names of the people who grow my food .. do you ?

:)

o

I'm not sure what the implications are. Will the farmer's market collapse from your boycott?

o

Farmer doesn't automatically mean sustainable organic. Obvious, that.

o

Farmer doesn't automatically mean responsible either.

*laffin at the bake sales..and I should trust their kitchen?

One near me offers loose leaf teas for $9 (8oz). No thanks!

This post was edited by brushworks on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 8:24

o

There are only a few stalls left at our farmers market that are local... and those are seasonal of course. In Canada and the Northern US, you are generally left with no option but to buy imported fruits and veggies for a significant part of the winter.

o

We have the best farm stand market ever! They grow it right there, pick it and sell it. The romaine lettuce is so big you can cradle a newborn in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jessica's

o

Most of the farmer's markets in my area have not been up to standard for the last 5 years. They are local (across the state), but the offerings are not fresh and suspect what can't be sold to grocery stores. This was my first year of not going to any of them. The stores here do advertise local growers sold in store during the season.

And yes they are fraught with breads, oils, candy, natural candles, plants, ect. Gas prices aren't helping them travel 3 to 4 hours to hit the markets. Although we still have nearby farmers that allow you to pick your own. Primarily fruit orchards and berries. A great family adventure and worth the scenic drives.

o

Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:10

Well of course the produce is seasonal at my farmers market, they do not sell imported produce ... mine also has an urban grow farm JZ. During the winter they do sell winter greens, grown in a hoop house and/or a local greenhouse, but you pretty much have to buy it "in season" and put it up .. you know like people used to before big chain grocers and fast food frenzies :) My freezer has quite a bit of "summer bounty".

Anyone who goes into a market and/or chain store in the middle of winter looking for "fresh food" probably does not know (or care) that the fresh food they are buying traveled thousands of miles to reach them ... we won't even mention what was sprayed on it to "keep it fresh".

Brush I thought you would enjoy "baked goods", since you seemed to think it was odd and a waste of our time to bake our own :)

o

Our farmers market sells from the local farmers. Always fresh, and half the cost of the supermarket. I'm there two or three times a week.

o

Our farmers' markets here in SC are wonderful! Always fresh, locally grown produce, reasonably priced. The locavore movement here in Charleston is also quite big in our restaurants. I go to our farmer's market once a week.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:52

We "visit" our local FMs just to see what quality they have to offer and at what prices they fetch. It's more rewarding, fresher, and "cide"-free when growing one's own if at all possible, even on a small scale.

o

We have great farmers market in my area. Maybe because I am close to the PA Dutch Country. You have not had a real egg until you eat their egg and the turkey is the only ones that touch my table.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 10:25

I buy my produce from the farms out where I live, in the distant suburbs, they have great fruits, veggies, and dairy products.

The "farmers market" at my worksite has one farmer, and his produce is great, but I wonder how much longer he'll be coming. The other dozen or so tables are people selling baked goods, lunch food, nuts and coffee.

All the farms, that used to be there in the first few years, no longer come, they said it was too much work for no profit.

Even the huge farmers market that has been going on downtown for years and years and years, has fewer and fewer farmers, and more and more non-farm products - baked goods, jams, jellies, crafts, etc.

o

We have a good one in the summer months, and this winter, the big greenhouse operation in the area is holding an indoor market on Saturdays. They grow the salad greens, others come in with what they have - my neighbor sells onions there.

Says its iffy, one week to the next. Some times he sells 50 lbs of onions, the next week 5 lbs.

/I haven't been yet. Really should go.

o

I quit selling at farmers markets and only sell at produce autions now. Lots of grocers buy from the auctions, I mean these things are big, and small. Trucks leave and head to the big cities to supply the large markets. Bu5t some large super markets get their produce from overseas, that ought to be real safe eatin!

o

OMom,

My market is closed for the season. I was talking about imported items that appeared during the growing season.

As for baked goods, I'm not a fan of that food, nor is my doctor. :) If I want baked goods, I'll shop the local bakery, not the farm market. Smarty!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 12:01

Some of them here were being called Saturday Markets some years ago. That says it all. People offering produce and other plant goods eventually made up a fraction of the participation. But if you were looking for bric-a-brac etc., you had a good selection. I even saw a local, once per year "garden fair" quickly transition to mostly non-garden items over the course of a few years.

The selection in the vendor stalls at the annual big garden show in Seattle has had a big component of non-plant items for a long time. A dribble of plant vendors, the rest all "hard goods" of varying applicability to gardening and landscaping.

Of course, the layout doesn't really lend itself to loading up on potted plants.

But even the big, long-established independent garden centers here are having varying responses from the public these days.

As in other consumer topics, surely sales of agricultural products are being heavily affected by who still has money and who does not, and where they shop. Many stores catering primarily to the "general public" will be choosing merchandise based primarily on price, because many of their customers will be also.

o

I never shop at a supermarket. Most of them where I live are like giant 7-11s. I've only ever been in a Wal-Mart once. I went with a friend and bought a package of reading glasses.

There are about 7-8 little markets that I shop from...mostly ethnic and a couple of big warehouse type places where I get discount paper products and such.

-Ron-

o

I shop at the Lansdowne Farmers' Market from the time it opens in late April until it closes on the last Saturday of October. Not all the veggies are organic, but they are locally grown and seasonal. There are the usual candles, coffee, local wines, plants (from a local nursery that's been around for decades), and always John's homemade chili and mushroom soup besides the local and/or organic produce. I don't think I miss more than one or two Saturdays during the season, and I also hit the "winter market" they open once a month during Jan/Feb/Mar.
I also buy at my local supermarkets, of course, because the farmers' markets can't provide the array of choices that they can. But I think it's really important to support local growers and eat well in the process.

o

Spring to fall I shop our local Saturday and Sunday Farmer's Market. Everything is locally grown/made/produced in the area. There is a mixture of farmers, high end baked goods, preserves and artisans selling pottery, textiles, etc... Unfortunately, prices are substantially more expensive than grocery store prices.

o

Nymph's FM sounds ideal. Ours is paltry; no matter. I just go for the goat's cheese. We grow pretty much all the produce we need; can't grow avocados, though :(.

We're got carrots, beets, parsnips, kohlrabi, broccoli & peppers (don't get cabbage moths this way), peas, toms, sweet potatoes, spuds, herbs, lettuces, cukes, winter & summer squash, Swiss chard, spinach, greens, pumpkins, beans, scallions, radishes, raspberries, currants, thimbleberries, apples and the occasional oddity just for fun. All organic (can't do anything to keep the acid rain off). Price is good too, LOL.

We did this even growing up in Chicago; I feel bad for those who don't have the opportunity to grow their own food. Wish we had markets like one sees in Mexico.

o

Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 11:19

Which goat's cheese do you shop for Elvis?

"unfortunately prices are substantially more"

I have found some customers come to the FM looking for walmart prices, not realizing and/or appreciating that the produce was picked fresh that morning instead of a week ago and traveling a thousand miles. The stuff in the grocery store is certainly not "fresh food".

o

The stuff in the grocery store is certainly not "fresh food".

Not only not fresh but waxed and chemical coated.

Wish we had markets like one sees in Mexico.

You do know you could not eat the food they sell at those markets?

o

JG, thanks for that link, I told my brother in st pete about it.

o

Marquest is right about buying in Mexican open markets unless you have purified water to wash it and even then it's a crap shoot. One of my sons and his family have lived off and on in Mexico and they have all had dreadful parasites.

o

@Ohio: I don't know the goats' names, the man has quite a few ;D

Produce in Mexico: yes, there are cute little pills one dissolves in water to purify. And when I lived there for the summers the motto for produce was "if you can't peel it, don't eat it." That holds true right here in the good old USA. You really think those grapes from Chile are safe to eat right out of the store?

"dreadful parasites"...is there any other kind? ;))

o

I would also add that the other items besides produce and homemade foods like jellies, cheese, bread, and prepared foods are part of why I go. I also know that craft or wine vendors are all local artisans. In fact, I am one of them--I get one Saturday market a summer to sell my handmade jewelry, and other folks sell pottery, knitted or sewn goods, or wooden carvings and artifacts.

I'm also a little puzzled that some folks think the stuff at the market is not inspected. I'm sure that corn picked 4 hours before it hits the stand is not, but the farm itself would have to be, especially if the food is claimed to be organic, and prepared food of any kind must come from a certified kitchen. The food producers that I know have all had to pass inspection to sell their food. That may not be true everywhere, but in my personal experience it is.

o

LOL, Elvis, of course you are right. I meant that they became dreadfully ill, dangerously in one case and pretty close to that in another.

o

Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 15:30

Elvis I meant "which" goat cheese do you buy, not the "name" of the goats :)

I work for a small artisan creamery, we make chevre, blomma, feta, fromage blanc, caerphilly and tommes.

Which is your favorite?

o

Ohio, I don't know. He labels it with what he's added. i.e., shitaki, chives, garlic, cranberries. etc. It's soft; in little tubs. Really good. Want me to send you some?

:)

-----------------

@Pidge: ;DD

o

Our supermarkets fresh peaches are like Styrofoam. I live in the Big apple we are an apple growing state why should I buy Chinese apples. So much of ou fruit comes from Chile & the only recently banned some pesticides that I'd rather not ingest. Gimme a break it costs more but I want to eat something delicious.

o

Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 16:25

"soft in little tubs" ... probably chevre. No I do not need any, I get "cheese perks", have also made my own cheese when I get fresh milk from the farm. We have added cows milk this year, and we make fresh yogurt and "cow" caerphilly, also working on an ice cream base.

We get our goats milk from Saanen goats and our cows milk from Guernsey cows.

o

Ohiomom, you sure eat well! All that fresh stuff--I think I'm lucky to find as much of it as I do.

o

As someone who eats five or six fruits for lunch , in the winter I am buying from Chile. I'm not stopping eating raspberries, blackberries, cherries, grapes and blueberries so what choice do I have?

The Farmers market I like the best is from my own community garden plot and my backyard tomato garden where we grow 15 plants. Nothing is sprayed in any way and stuff can be eaten off the vine which is why most peas ended up in my mouth before they even got to the kitchen.

Our local Wegman's sells local produce as soon as it comes in, and we have a lot of farmers markets where I'd go if I didn't have my own private source. My carrots might not be pristine looking ... all gnarled and ugly, but my SIL made the best carrot soup I ever tasted last week.

o

Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 16:47

LOL Pidge ... nothing like fresh from the farm milk and the cheeses we make from it.

Lily growing up we "ate local and in season" and I still do. I freeze what I can and look forward to the rest of the produce to come into season. My only "imported" fruit is bananas.

o

"I freeze what I can and look forward to the rest of the produce to come into season."

Same here. It's impossible to get commercial berries really clean and safe, I've read that strawberries are especially problematic. It's really a shame. We used to pick blueberries along the powerline corridor, lots of light, sandy soil, easy picking. Until we found about the defoliants the power company uses to keep the woody vegetation down. Yikes. Now we pick farther from the road.

o

Our farmers markets close down for the season after the rush for trees, wreaths, roping, etc. runs its course just before Christmas. Good source for the braided cardamom loaves and some holiday crafts - if one is in to that sort of thing. I'm not usually tempted by much in the craft line except by the lady selling quilts - one of these seasons, I'm going to break down.

In season, they're a good source for berries, greens, onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peas, beans, herbs, plants, cut flowers - the whole nine yards. Good apples in the fall; some Saturdays they're pressing cider. And it's a real home run if the pasty lady is there - love those with rutabaga (or without!)

We pretty much have to rely on the supermarkets otherwise. Aside from imported bananas, my fruit of choice in the winter is pears with the USA label. And I'd usually spring for a crate or two of clementines from Spain or Morocco, but it's only been the California Cuties available this year. They've been very good this time around and go fast when eaten a couple at a time.

o

I've read that strawberries are especially problematic.

I saw something about that on the show The Doctors and thought it was shocking strawberries were among the top pesticide-ridden produce. (Apples, celery, bell peppers, peaches and strawberries are 1 through 5 in that order).

o

Organic certification is different from food-safety inspection. Nobody is inspecting the greens-washing operation for most small growers. Quite probably not for any large ones either. Fresh produce is normally exempted from food-processing inspections.

I'm trying to ferret out whether MA and FL require certification and inspection for pickle-making. I'm hoping it's exempted.

o

JZ, Rounding out your list of pesticide laden produce but in no particular order:

Cherries
Grapes (imported)
Nectarines
Pears
Potatoes
Red Raspberries
Spinach

Most Popular Fruits and Vegetables with lowest pesticides, in no particular order aside from alphabetical, according to a doctor on the Naturals and Organics website:

Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Corn (sweet)
Kiwis
Onions
Mangoes
Papaya
Pineapples
Peas (sweet)

edited to delete annoying cut & paste symbols

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 19:03

o

"...top pesticide-ridden produce. (Apples, celery, bell peppers, peaches and strawberries are 1 through 5 in that order)."

Yes, and just think of all those clueless people giving Junior & Juniorette that yummy apple juice (arsenic in there, too). Maybe that is what's wrong with so may young people's brains these days (ADD, ADHD, autism, rage, etc). Poison, literally.

o

Apples seem to be the worst of both worlds since the pesticides persist on the fruit even after washing in running water or with one of the fruit washes. Could always peel them, but then you're losing nutrients and fiber. And pesticides have leached through the skins into the meat anyway.

If one isn't going to commit to buying organic only (cost primarily for many people), the best defense is to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables - spread the risk out. Think my next purchase will be a pineapple.

o

Since I am a vegetarian for all practical purpose...(1/2 lb of Salmon a week) all those on the good and bad list I eat almost every day. It's a nobrainer that pineapples which I don't love and avocado that I eat every day are low on the pesticide scale with their thick skins.

But there is no way I'm giving up my berries. I bought four containers tonight...blueberries are $2.99 for a full pint indicates it's in the season in Mexico where everything I bought tonight is from. The grapes are USA and the cherries, Chile.

As much as I love my fruit , I probably eat less than a dozen apples a year.

o

Our local farmers' markets have "certified" sections in which the vendors have been checked to verify that the products offered have been grown and/or raised by them. Information is available as to where the growing is located, and how the crops are produced re fertilizing and pesticides, as well as which vendors are California Certified Organic. With our 12-month growing season, fruit and produce are available all year.

Strawberries are a fruit that I will only eat if organic. There is a pre-growing fumigation of the soil, the practice of which was placed on the ballot to abolish its use within so many feet of residential areas iirc.

o

Lucky you in California. Alas, our growing season is four or five months at most. .

o

We have a great FM run by the county. There are some processed food vendors, but mainly produce. Doesn't allow "imported" such as from Mexico.

o

Certified Farmers Markets in California have high standards, specifically the producer may only sell one item brought in from another source; otherwise you can only sell your products listed with the County. It used to be that a few "growers" actually bought product from brokers and other sources for sale in Farmers Markets.

Farmers Markets are very popular in my part of California and are well attended by the public; however, in recent years fewer and fewer growers come to dominate the local markets and many of these live and produce many hundreds of miles away from the "local market." Of the local growers, several rely mostly on CSA membership to purchase shares in the business in exchange for boxes of product.

Much of my market garden produce is going to local caterers and commercial kitchens at a slight discount from my retail pricing. The qualities of the food are well worth the extra cost to the chefs.

I've been asking around the Institute why the 600 or so staff and faculty don't order much from the gardens except in summer (tomatoes, cukes, fruit). People have become accustomed to prepackaged "fresh" food capable of being "nuked" and consumed in minutes right in the plastic bag or tub. Another theme is both lack of time and cooking knowledge. And a minority do attend to Saturday FMs for their weekly veggies and fruit. Pretty sad commentary when a few will complain that our product contains your occasional snail or slug or bug. We do not spray for pests but do try to shake out the critters before pack up.

o

To explode the myth about lack of fresh in the North:

We are leaving shortly for the food-desert that is rural central florida. Zero local fresh produce. Here I am leaving any amount of kale on the hoof, still edible broccoli, carrots and parsnips in the ground, sweet potatoes in my basement. I will haul at least 100 lbs of food with us, and hope that Pater planted enough greens in the little garden.

o

keep on shaking those critters out marshall. ! LOL!

o

You betcha! I used to have a farm assistant who would collect all these critters and carry them to safety. The chickens were not pleased.

o

pnbrown, we used to take our summer vacations at the shore in South Jersey. Trying to find a Jersey tomato (and they are the BEST) or local corn was a challenge. The local supermarket were locked into supply chains that shipped rock hard tomatoes and corn many days old and unless one went off-shore to local stands, that's all there was. Some farmers set up stands right in the supermarket parking lots and there were also trucks that came around with local produce.
I buy plenty of produce in supermarkets, but I like the local stuff in the summer when I can get it.

o

Of the local growers, several rely mostly on CSA membership to purchase shares in the business in exchange for boxes of product.

Marhsall, one of the vendors at L.A.'s Mar Vista Farmers' Market -- Rodriguez Farms, CCOF -- also has CSA memberships. I see the subcribers picking up their weekly box of produce. They are located in northern San Diego County iirc. At this same site, there are also vendors from Fresno, Tehachapi, and Temecula. Santa Monica's Saturday market has a popular grower from Santa Ynez, Finley Farms, CCOF. Usually Oxnard, Camarillo, and Tehachapi are the locations of the main suppliers. Local takes on a different meaning in SoCal's geography of urban and suburban sprawl.

A regular sight at SM's Saturday market is the chef (and assistants) picking up their produce. They seem to have special produce reserved for their use that is not being sold to the general public. And they seem to have the pick of the heirloom tomato crop each Saturday.

o

Nancy, those chefs probably have special orders, either chosen in the field or by reputation. Good deal for both grower and the trade.

In SB the main complaint about the FMarket is that the board of directors (and therefore the manager) is dominated by out-of-county producers. Spaces are also held aside for seasonal producers of fruit and most of these growers come some distance. I know a few of the majors and some do a dozen or more FMs from the Bay Area south to LA per week.

Hard work with long hours.

o

Denni, as a Michigander, you owe it to yourself to visit the Garden Peninsula, if you haven't already, during harvest season. It's also got some interesting historic sites.

o

So what advice do you guys from California and other states with decent growing season have for me in the seven months of the year I have no local produce? Since 2/3 of my diet is fruit and veggies, I have to eat imported. I usually get Driscoll's and Sunbelle berries, and they're usually from Mexico and Chile. It's hard to scrub berries so they're washed in warm water in a strainer. My fav three are raspberries, blueberries, and cherries and I would eat a bowl of them over a dish of icecream so it's not an option to not eat them for more than half the year. I don't have a freezer except the one on my side by side refrig and it's packed full of food so freezing them in the summer is not an option.

o

Lilly, your body obviously is not a temple but a ravenous maw for exotic fruits and vegetables out of season. :)

My markets are filled with produce from other countries too, but I can find locally sourced fresh small fruit in clamshells and in the freezers. I'm tired of eating blueberries. I don't trust commercial strawberries because of the frequency of spraying of fungicides and insecticides. I love apples but buy only certified organic (unless I know the producer). Bananas, papayas, pineapples, and other imported tropical fruit are fumigated and also carry residues of other pesticides. No thanks.

You should invest in a deep freezer. I also recommend canning some of your favorites, a small investment in tools and containers.

o

Lily, my post was directed at you for the most part. It is very possible to have some fresh produce in the northern states, as I pointed out. A couple of large cold-frames or a low tunnel would keep you in kale for the winter. Carrots and snips hang happily in the ground. Cabbages under a pile of leaves. Even if you don't have space to grow that stuff you can buy it local in late fall and store it outdoors.

Fruit is a different matter of course, as Marshall notes you'd have to freeze it. I settle for apples from the grocery, and applesauce I put up, and dried fruit.

o

lily; "I have to eat imported"

Because...?

We have seen posted photos of the property. Clear out that crawling ivy and plant a vegetable garden. Add some food-producing trees and shrubs. Preserve your home-grown food. We know you are able-bodied, as you have cited your gym trips often, and you have the time (because you are here on HT.

It's not that difficult to do, and it's green...

;D

o

YEAH! Food gardens, not lawns. And grow only things you like, so you have the incentive to care for the plants and plan a succession of goodies to fill in as items are harvested. Gets to be habit-forming and not too time-consuming for the most part.

o

I'm hoping to have my backyard garden fully up and running this year. Not at full production, mind you, but should have it all started. We bought a new home and i've been working to get the beds built and a start on some soil of decent quality. As the backyard used to be all lawn, I'm sure it has been saturated in chemicals of many sorts. The good news is that our province has had a pesticide ban in place for a couple of years. That should give the soil a bit of a head start.

I don't produce enough fruits and veggies in this backyard for our family of four to eat a full year. However, our two teenaged boys are soon to be off to university then out into the world on their own. I'm sure I will be able to grow and put up a full year's worth of fruits and veggies for just hubby and myself.

My backyard fruits will be raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and possibly elderberries. I'm just looking into the elderberries now but I may sacrifice most of them to the birds. I'll just keep enough for one or two jars of elderberry jam.

If we ever follow through with demo-ing the garage and building a greenhouse in it's place, I'll have much more in terms of "fresh" for the winter. But that also brings the likelihood that we would have to do some soil remediation, perhaps even need to replace the soil. I don't know what 60 years of leaking oil and transmission changes in that garage may have done to the soil underneath. So for now, my greenhouse is on hold.

o

Sounds like you have an excellent mission, Hamilton ;)

The black and raspberries will thank you for a very thick mulch of pine needles. Mine love it. Once you get into the spring pruning cycle, they are very carefree.

New house; exciting!

o

New house; exciting!

Yes, but the years I spent at the old place building up a nice soil with mounds of compost and keeping it chemical free will likely not get any appreciation from the new people. And I couldn't bring the soil with me.

But on the bright side, I have more room at this new place to work with. I didn't have the raspberries and blackberries in the old house because there was no room. But raspberries and blackberries are a favorite in my house. As well, I also have a cold storage room at this new house... another bonus!

And I agree with you and Marshallz. Grow food, not lawns! Tear out the ivy and plant wild strawberries or blueberries... groundcover AND a tasty treat!

o

I have one area in my less than 1/2 acre to grow things, and that's at the far southeast corner of the lot beside the carriage house... That's where we grow 15 tomato plants every summer for 30 years. That's it for sunny spots because it's beside the ally. I have enormous 100 year old trees which means my yard is very,very shady, and I am not about to cut down any trees. I was upset to have lost a big white pine when Sandy blew thru. It's also why ivy and pachysandra are my groundcover ,because even grass doesn't grow well. We have a medium community garden plot and wish we had signed on for a large one. Ames Hardware has a plant and donated the land... 130 raised beds of three sizes. They provide water and tools. We get to keep our same plot every year as long as we sign up for it. It's all sun all day but I have no room for fruit, it's all vegetables. Spinach, carrots, onions, arugula, yellow squash, peas, green beans, spring onions. I think I'm not going to be buying strawberries after reading about them here.

o

No vacant lots in the neighborhood?

o

Lily,

Wild strawberries and many different berries grow really well in shade. Many are forest dwellers in nature. Elderberries are supposed to be especially good in shade, which is why I'm looking into them. And wild strawberries make great groundcover. It may solve your fruit problem.

o

HG..Actually I DO have some wild strawberries growing in my yard but hardly enough for a day's eating...lol

o

My hay fields are loaded with wild stawberries, and they are great. I just cant seem to get to pickin them when they need it. I put 20 elderberries in rows next to the rows of currants. They are in mostly full sun and do super. Put another 100 along the fence row which is shaded and sunny. That was 3 years ago, cant find a one! I think the damn deer ate em off?
Just ordered 50 new Heritage and Caroline raspberries, cause I killed the ones we had. The weeds got so bad I hit em with RU at the wrong time. stooopid move

o

Yeah, you'd need a lot of area of wild strawberries to forage to be able put up much.

FF, may I suggest that the full story of what glyphosate does in soil is not apparent? You are permanently damaging your soil with RU.

o

I agree, RU persists in the upper soil profile, changing the microorganisms and selecting for more resistant weeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here