Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another gotcha backfires!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 6:26

Right out of the gate the moderator, John King, serves up the open marriage allegation against Newt and he hits it out of the park. Certainly, he knew it was coming and his response brought a huge ovation from the crowd. You think that they would have learned from Juan's wild pitch that another tact to get this in might have been better. How can you not surely agree? Of course you can't...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another gotcha backfires!

What? I wish I knew what you were talking about. it sounds good...

o

It was the debate last night. Check the news on TV they are all reporting it...

o
Good response

Just heard it on the radio. I love his response. I totally agree with him about the media feeding frenzy, but I do not agree that it is just liberal media. The media is irresponsible and is more like the National Enquirer.

I also loved Romney's call for capitalists to rise. This may be one time where being in the 99% has some effect.

o

More of a hit job by ABC et. al. This story was out there a long time ago, and now it's news?

Please.

Here's some more news. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

o
RE:ther gotcha backfires!

Do you have a link for that news about the sun?

o

Tobr, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it would be so helpful if you would try to include an article link every once in a while for those of us who hit the board without our first cup of coffee... especially for the more vague implications or offbeat stories. Is it even daylight yet? ;-)

o

I thought it was a disgrace that they asked that as the VERY FIRST QUESTION, let alone asked it at all!

We have way more important things to cover in a debate than about some intensely personal question like that. I agree that some personal questions may be valid from time to time, but a) that was not one of them, and b) don't do it in a debate. Save it for a press conference or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I think the question was totally appropriate. Since the republicans, and Gingrich, have decided to make marriage a political issue, why not ask a question about his personal beliefs on marriage?

He called gay marriage "a temporary aberration that will dissipate". He reportedly contributed $150,000 of money he raised for his political group to the campaign to oust three Iowa justices who ruled in favor of same-sex marriage in 2009.

Vaughn�s ruling against California�s same-sex marriage ban in 2010 prompted Gingrich to call on Congress to send to the states a U.S. constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage throughout the country.

"Congress now has the responsibility to act immediately to reaffirm marriage as a union of one man and one woman as our national policy," Gingrich said at the time.

Gingrich has also been critical of Obama�s decision to drop the defense of the Defense of Marriage Act in court. In February, Gingrich called on the U.S. House to retaliate against Obama after the administration declared the anti-gay law was unconstitutional and suggested the president could be impeached over the decision.

o

This is the man that spent our time and resources taking down a president over a bj. My guess it was someone in the gop that got wifey to squawk since Newt is tarnishing their candidate.

Sorry, it is fair game because he made defending traditional marriage fair game. He did handle it well, hit it out of the park unlike Romney who got booed over the tax questions. You know, Newt is brilliant!

o
and

something that really bothered me...Newt called President Obama "the most dangerous president of our lifetimes" last night. Really?

o

I think the question is out of bounds. How about vetting her before you take her word as gospel. How would you like the media talking to your worst ex-wife (spouse) before a job offer?

When will the republican debates quit using left wing media to moderate. Seriously, I mean can we get Sean Hannity to moderate the first repub/dem presidential debate?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 9:28

The lamestream media is not left wing ... they are corporate owned and operated, all of them. They, like our politicians, serve their masters.

Why do "some" people still believe this ??

o

It seemed like a question more appropriate for an interview than a debate or at least way down the list. Newt is a pro at deflecting his own negatives back to the media. This whole indignant "How dare you protect Obama by asking me about my character!" resentment plays big among the faithful who have been told by Fox News, Rush, & Beck that the reality outside the conservative bubble is a liberal conspiracy.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 10:09

Elvis lips shouldn't have asked the question, esp since the entire interview had not been aired yet, one of the other candidates would have brought it up and that would have made the debate more interesting. Instead the question ended up being about the media and Newt was ready and waiting to turn the tables. Newt was happy to comply last nite, saved him a lot of time today.

o

He had everything on but the crown of thorns last nighy

o

I'd agree this stuff shouldn't be asked by the moderator in a nationally televised debate, maybe left for a 1-on-1 interview.

\Because then we could get Newt, when asked about his infidelity, "There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate."

o

I think it was fine. Newt deserved the question if ONLY for the hypocrisy he showed back in the 90's over Clinton's Monica fling. He wasted much time and money from the taxpayers being outraged when he was doing far worse at the very same time. Newt is like Teflon, gets indignant over the portrayal of him as a cad in the worst degree. Wife number one with cancer, no pity, just give me a divorce because you're not the attractive woman I want to be first lady. Wife number two diagnosed with MS and the doctor told her stress exacerbates her condition and Newt comes to her with this open marriage thing saying Calista doesn't care. You thing this isn't relevant about the character of the man who would be president??? If character doesn't matter, maybe they should spring Maddow to run on their ticket. He DOES know finance.

o

Media today is not meant to be informative or factual. It's not meant to convey news, as we think of it. It's corporate owned, beholden to shareholders.

It's all about ratings, profit, entertainment value, shock value, and it's carefully designed to distract the viewer and keep him interested enough that he doesn't realize what's happening behind the scenes. Oh, lookie... something shiny!

All's fair in love and war, they say... and nothing grabs the viewers' attention like dirty laundry aired in public.

We used to laugh at the Star and Enquirer... but that's all that's offered these days.

And I still say... if you put yourself out there, in the public eye, you have to expect that someone looking to advance a career or make money will go digging in your personal, private closets. That's how it is now... there are no boundaries.

"Newt called President Obama "the most dangerous president of our lifetimes" last night."

There will never be public admittance on this one. It's way too politically incorrect to tell the truth.

o

Rarely would I agree with Tony Perkins still his point is valid.

"I think, especially in the evangelical community, they understand the issue of forgiveness. But that does not necessarily translate into endorsing for leadership. When you look at the captain of the Costa Concordia, the guy who abandoned his responsibility -- I mean, who's going to put him in charge of a cruise ship again? I'm not getting on that cruise ship."

The question is as legitimate as how you meet your tax responsibilities! Particularly in light of Gingrich campaigning on morality the family & the SACRAMENT of Marriage.
I also appreciate Gingrich being attacked by the freak he funneled money to in order to fight for the sanctity of marriage. It's a point lost on many but Gingrich tried buying these clowns with $150,000 donation to defeat ACTIVIST JUDGES who reinterpreted the sanctity of Marriage,.
This guy hasn't shut up about it for the git go now he needs a velcro wrist & head band to strut the stage he's a ham actor who sometimes believes his own histrionics

o

Oh, good grief.

The media and many in politics knew that John Edwards was having an affair with Rielle Hunter (whose real name was Lisa Jo Druck--not nearly as seductive, eh?) but kept it quiet, just like JRK's numerous and constant infidelities.

John Edwards did this while running for PRESIDENT and taking money and even his wife knew and continued with the charade on the American public, and in particular, hanging the Democrat Party out.

What hypocrisy that the media is now all concerned with Newt's past from ten years ago, when they couldn't be bothered to be interested to report what John Edwards was doing--The National Enquirer had to be the publication that would bring it to light.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 13:21

Wow! It's soooo thick I can almost smell the irony.... if not for the overwhelming stench of hypocrisy.

o

Why is no one going after Gingrich's ethics violations with as much passion?

I think that his infidelity to his two wives coupled with his lack of ethical behaviour while serving as an elected representative leave serious questions about his honesty and integrity.

Or maybe his ethics aren't to be questioned becasue some Democrat along the way was also guilty of ethics violations. One's bad behaviour does not excuse another's.

o

Demi..I sure am not going to take up for John Edwards. To me he's as big a sleaze as Gingrich. My beef with Newt is he preaches this family value platform thing first and foremost. It's a 'trust between a man and a woman' and YET he's a philandering jerk who makes Clinton and Edwards pale by comparison. There are more unfaithful Newt stories out there. Such a little porcine character. What's the attraction?

o

Give them a dose of their own medicine and hear them whine. Whaaambulance alert!

o

I have no idea.

Gingrich's policies and extremism scare me, and I have zero interest in his infidelities. As in the past, I think he'll self-destruct. If not, other GOPers will see that he sinks; I don't think the party has a death wish.

Just as with Romney, I'm not concerned because he is Mormon, but because he has aligned himself with the neocons of Bush II.

o

To me, the sex lives of Clinton, Edwards or Gingrich shouldn't be an election issue. If someone had an affair or an open marriage, that's a private matter between a husband and wife.

Perhaps if people cared more about a candidate's ability to run a country than they did about their sex lives, there would be a much more successful field of candidates.

But...who cares if these politicians bankrupt the country and bomb a bunch of people... as long as they don't have a libido!

o

You mean, THIS ONE? snip - "In the end, the House voted overwhelmingly, 395-28, to reprimand Gingrich and to fine him $300,000.

"Today we conclude this case by imposing a heavy penalty on the leader of this House. It is a tough penalty, unprecedented and appropriate," Republican Rep. Nancy Johnson, who chaired the ethics committee, said at the time on the House floor.

The original charges had fallen by the wayside. Gingrich admitted he had unintentionally but materially misled the committee and had failed to keep the college course insulated from partisan politics.

But that's not at all the stance he takes now. Talking about the case Wednesday at the Republican Jewish Coalition, he said he should have fought back harder against the Democratic ethics assault.

"The attrition effect on your members of that many ads and that many charges just gradually wore down people, and I gradually lost the ability to lead because you know, I was ultimately so battered by the process," Gingrich said.

Now, there's an irony to this because Gingrich's ethics case isn't really the beginning of the story.

Back in 1988, as a minority-party backbencher, Gingrich filed ethics charges against Democratic House Speaker Jim Wright.

His muscular rhetoric sounds familiar: "Having Jim Wright third in line to be president, and having the power of the speakership in Jim Wright's hands, is very, very dangerous to the processes we're used to in this country."

Just as in Gingrich's own case, the original allegations didn't stick against Wright. But the ethics committee found other problems.

But unlike Gingrich, Wright chose to resign before the committee reached a final verdict.' snip -

Or are you asking about how he raked in 1.3 million from Freddie Mac?

Here is a link that might be useful: revisionist history, from the noted historian

o

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 13:57

But...who cares if these politicians bankrupt the country and bomb a bunch of people... as long as they don't have a libido!

Touche.

I think in addition to the "hypocrisy" factor like Gingrich, the "lying about it" factor--Bill Clinton and John Edwards"--equally turns people off.

o

So ones bad behaviour excuse the others?

The thing I find very interesting is that I recall vividly during the last two primaries the Democrats were passionate about who they thought was the best candidate and equally passionate about who they thought was not.

I recall many liberals here saying that they didn't trust Edwards, for example. I also recall the passionate arguments pro and con Obama and Clinton.

Republicans on the other hand seem loathe to admit any of their "guys" are less than perfect and that they don't support them.

o

What I found surprising about the new clip showing the response of Newt AND of the audience is that the Republican audience was happy and excited (and very visibly showed it) that Newt had such a good come-back to the questioner. They were bouncing with joy, big grins spread across their faces. They loved it!

Some or maybe even many voters may believe that Newt's private "affairs" are his own business or the nation's business trumps private scandals, but to be absolutely delighted that their philandering candidate is so good at verbally weazeling his way out of being morally responsible for his own behavior--well, I'm still a bit stunned at that--especially from the folks that regularly make moral judgments on politicians who are not Republicans.

Kate

o

the "lying about it" factor--Bill Clinton and John Edwards"--equally turns people off.

Last time I checked, neither of them is running for president.

o

A thousand dittos to what Kate said.

o

Kate, I think if you would look at it more closely, it wasn't so much about giving Gingrich a pass, as loving that he slapped down the liberal media who hoped to get in a real gotcha. Rather than starting with a presidential debate.

o

I was just going to post that same explanation, mrskjun.

I don't think anyone approves of Newt's extramarital activity, but it was in approval for Gingrich
standing up to the media and calling them out, who have conspired to keep liberal politician's same behavior quiet, and who see this ten year old information as the most important topic with which to begin a debate.

o

It really cracks me up that in debates with all republicans that are eating each other alive, republicans still manage to blame the "liberal" media and the left/democrats. Heeelarious! Many people trace the vitriol in our politics back to Newty, the fact that he is appalled is great. Mr ethics violations himself.

What I am really laughing at though is during the Anthony Weiner "scandal" (a picture!), posters here said he will be the poster child for the democrats loss in 2012....hahahahahahaaa

Republican voters do love a fighter! He is rising in SC...any small thing to not vote for Romney. It sure is entertaining!

o

Incredible as it is they do.

o
one more thing

Let us please please remember who we are talking about! This appalled man is responsible for the impeachment of Bill Clinton over a blow job and our nation being obsessed with this for two years!!!! At a time when Osama Bin laden had us in our sights all the time and resources over oral sex!

No sympathy for the devil! You reap what you sew. You get wht you give! He is the biggest pos, I it is beyond scary thta this man could be president. Him or Romney Dangerfield sweating over his tax evasion! I get no respect...

o

It was not the "liberal media" that outed Newt, but his ex-wife who did it. And it didn't happen 10 years ago; it happened yesterday and today. Haven't you been listening to the news? Are you deaf? Newt's ex-wife's interview has been airing today on quite a few stations, including Fox.

If his ex-wife hadn't spoken up today, I doubt if the media would have, on their own, drudged up the 10 year old news and made it "news" again. The "news" is the ex-wife's willingness to speak now.

Amazing how conservatives can find "liberal media" everywhere (when they need someone to blame), but liberals have so much trouble locating any "liberal media" aside from a couple talk shows on MSNBC.

Kate

o

I keep hearing about this liberal media conspiracy but like others, I have no idea who "they" are. Another baseless claim.

Since I am not John King I don't know why he chose to lead in with that question but since it was news - his former wife just gave her interview with information that may give voters clues into the character of a potential presidents character making it news - he decided it was valid. Personally, I found the reaction of both Newt and the audience stranger than the question.

"It doesn't matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There's no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn't matter what I live." - Newt Gingrich

Another snapshot at his character. IOW, do as he says, not as he does.

"She isn't young enough or pretty enough to be the President's wife."~Newt Gingrich, talking about his first wife

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

o

Cheating on his wife with an intern 20+ years his younger while leading the charge to impeach Clinton.

I'd blame the 'Bossa Nova', not the press.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 22:39

Me think "some" should read jmc's link on Newt. I am not a medical expert, but the piece discussing his mother's bipolar disorder was enlightening. I immediately thought about how he up and went on a cruise last year during campaigning that had his staff quitting.

Possible manic behavior ? I don't know, but that is a very disturbing article and deserves serious consideration.

Right now Gingrich seems to be leading in the south. We all will have to live with the possibility of this man as our next president.

Peace

o

After Clinton receives some treatment people were outraged by his truthful answer.
I did it because I could!
Predatory objectification in sexual situations is often accepted in our culture as conquest. The sex is usually not pleasurable the hangover is usually akin to drugs or alcohol & the danger involved or risk is the trigger.

o

I love how it's all blamed on the liberal press. I have no idea where that is except for three hours of MSNBC in the evening. Ed, Rachael and Laurence. Fox is right wing crap 24/7, the most biased right wing garbage continually puked out. This was NOT a 10 year old story , it was a January 2012 story. And you supporters of little Newty, read the bio Gail Sheey wrote on the other thread if you want to scare yourself . But you'll still vote for this nut case instead of Obama. I'm really hoping for a big win tomorrow for Newt.

o

Let's just clear up a couple of things. Clinton's impeachment was not about a bj. It was about lying under oath.

Second, the Marianne Gingrich interview is the same one given to Esquire magazine years ago. Simply rehashed, and televised two days before a primary vote. So it is what it is.

o

Maybe the first question at the first presidential debate between Obama the compassionate, and republican nominee the devil should be. Mr. Obama, what have you done for your aunt and uncle, both of whom are in this country illegally, and are living in poverty?

o

From the righteous indignation being expressed about the 'liberal media' you wold think that the debate had been broadcast by Democracy Now instead of by a corporate network.

Why do you hate capitalism?

o

Let's just clear up a couple of things. Clinton's impeachment was not about a bj. It was about lying under oath.
Good thats out there now lets know what Newts Ethics violations are since we know he was morally challenged (not my morals but his own standards for others)
Lets know what his ethical challenges are.
He will wait have someone else raveal the past & scream LIBRULE as if that were the foul...you guys distract so easily & with great frequency for this party of moralists without morals, ethicists without ethics & big intrusive government types who claim to be for smaller TAXES

o

As opposed to your party? More government, more executive powers, less jobs, higher taxes, and greater debt.....hmmm hard choice.

o
RE: blah blah blah

Not really restriction of reproductive rights hmnnnn no problem there retriction of my rights as a human hmnnn no ptoblem there.
I notice you skipped over Newts ethic problems skipped your ah mind/values/.
Pointles going over this again and again for acouple of bucks you'd screw me & anyone loooking for safe reproductive rights

o

OK, lets pick over the list here and see who can pick out which person is running for president, and which persons are listed as a desperate diversion tactic:

Bill Clinton
Obama's Step-aunt
Obama's Step-uncle
Newt Gingrich

o

Well I'm glad mrskjun found a candidate that she can support.

It was a dumb question, but it has allowed Newt to pick up steam. Perhaps he even had the question planted for this very reason?

o

If Newt Gingrich does become the GOP candidate, he already has his excuse for losing the election to President Obama - LIBERAL MEDIA!! - and it has nothing to do with his own failings.

o
spin you can believe in

"I will tell you what Mr. Gingrich's personal history actually means for those of us who want to right the economy, see our neighbors and friends go back to work, promote freedom here and abroad and defeat the growing threat posed by Iran and other evil regimes.
First, one note on what Mr. Gingrich's married life, including his history of infidelity does not mean: It does not mean that Mr. Gingrich would be unfaithful to the United States of America or the Constitution of the United States.
You can take any moral position you like about men and women who cheat while married, but there simply is no correlation, whatsoever, from a psychological perspective, between whether they can remain true to their wedding vows and whether they can remain true to the Oath of Office.
I want to be coldly analytical, not moralize, here. I want to tell you what Mr. Gingrich's behavior could mean for the country, not for the future of his current marriage. So, here's what one interested in making America stronger can reasonably conclude - psychologically - from Mr. Gingrich's behavior during his three marriages:
1) Three women have met Mr. Gingrich and been so moved by his emotional energy and intellect that they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him.
2) Two of these women felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married.
3 ) One of them felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married for the second time, was not exactly her equal in the looks department and had a wife (Marianne) who wanted to make his life without her as painful as possible.
Conclusion: When three women want to sign on for life with a man who is now running for president, I worry more about whether we'll be clamoring for a third Gingrich term, not whether we'll want to let him go after one.
4) Two women - Mr. Gingrich's first two wives - have sat down with him while he delivered to them incredibly painful truths: that he no longer loved them as he did before, that he had fallen in love with other women and that he needed to follow his heart, despite the great price he would pay financially and the risk he would be taking with his reputation.
Conclusion: I can only hope Mr. Gingrich will be as direct and unsparing with the Congress, the American people and our allies. If this nation must now move with conviction in the direction of its heart, Newt Gingrich is obviously no stranger to that journey.
5) Mr. Gingrich's daughters from his first marriage are among his most vigorous supporters. They obviously adore him and respect him and feel grateful for the kind of father he was.
When I want to know who in a marriage (or, for that matter, a series of marriages) is the one who actually was aligned with their best interests, I never dismiss evidence of who the children gravitate toward and admire. In this case, they have judged the father who left their family, then remarried twice. And they judge him 10 out of 10. I only hope my own children love me and respect me as much when they are adults.
So, as far as I can tell, judging from the psychological data, we have only one real risk to America from his marital history if Newt Gingrich were to become president: We would need to worry that another nation, perhaps a little younger than ours, would be so taken by Mr. Gingrich that it would seduce him into marrying it and becoming its president. And I think that is exceedingly unlikely.
Dr. Keith Ablow is a psychiatrist and member of the Fox News Medical A-Team.
end quote.

Here is a link that might be useful: from the Fox News Medical A-Team

o
twisted

That is so twisted I have no words.

o

Eeesh. I don't watch these things. Pass the dead baby please.

-Ron-

o

"Three women have met Mr. Gingrich and been so moved by his emotional energy and intellect that they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him."
That's funny!

o

Creepy. The whole lot of them, they all deserve each other.

o

If Newt would win what would the other partner's in his open marriage be called. Second Lady? Third Mate? After all if he is in an open marriage agreed to by his current wife the others should go to the White House also.

o

The voters have asked Mitt Romney for a open marriage! (forgot where I read this)

o

I want an interview with former pets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here