Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walked by one of the federal buildings

Posted by jmc01 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 6:28

In downtown Chicago on Friday evening.

Space has been partitioned in the lobby and a privately owned restaurant is going in.

Glad to see the federal govt renting out unused space in our buildings. excellent idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walked by one of the federal buildings

Maybe a massage parlor would be an attraction...

o

Pawn shop! and Bail Bond business!

o

Lol, Marshall, and maybe a homeless center...

o

Or a morgue.

o

brushworks the ghoul among us

o

"GSA has the authority to provide essential food concession services in GSA-controlled buildings when nearby private commercial services are insufficient. A feasibility study is used to determine the size and type of concessions needed, and essential concessions services are arranged through Randolph-Sheppard permits, contracts, and/or outleases. The Randolph-Sheppard Act of 1936 gives priority to visually impaired persons for the operation of onsite concessions in federally controlled facilities. The Department of Education has responsibility for the administration of the Randolph-Sheppard Act and has delegated that responsibility through individual State Licensing Agencies (SLAs). Visually impaired vendors interested in these opportunities should contact the SLA directly for information on licensing requirements and business opportunities; the SLA will represent the vendor in these arrangements.

GSA is required to notify the SLA if and when a concessions opportunity becomes available. Vending machines, sundry stands, prepackaged snack bars, limited onsite snack bars, and onsite snack bars with a grill are typically handled with a permit or license that is prepared by the SLA and submitted to GSA for execution.

The operation of a caf� or cafeteria is usually covered by a food services contract. Food service contracts can be bid on the open market, and opportunities will be advertised in FedBizOpps.gov. However, GSA must still give priority to visually impaired vendors according to the Randolph-Sheppard Act when conducting a competitive procurement."

o

Plans are afoot for a restaurant in our town's elegant Post Office.

o

The county seat of my county has a gorgeous post office that has been one restaurant or another for over a decade, maybe 15-20 years. What else can a town do with its no longer useful buildings? One of my daughters had a PO branch close down recently--she would be thrilled if a restaurant moved in. Sure better than an empty building just sitting there.

o

Labrea, The restaurant that is going in clearly has nothing to do with GSA sponsored concessions, particularly from the standpoint of no nearby private commercial services. What's going in is a private commercial service, one that will match dozens that are within a few blocks.

This is clearly the federal government earning rent on unused space in downtown Chicago.

o

Yes and?

o

Should it take an act of congress?
Or would it be akin to leasing public lands for oil & mineral exploitation?

o

According to the redneck rumors down south, the Lucky Penney Internet Cafe is hoping to move in to a vacant post office in southeast Ohio. They will show the Postmaster how to turn a profit.

o

Or would it be akin to leasing public lands for oil & mineral exploitation?

Now for that, the rent would have to be 1/10th what it would be for a private building, and the Gvt would re-do the parking lots, pay for upgrades to the power and water supply, and then give rebates on any profits earned.

o

"Yes and?"

Read the OP.

o

I agree jmc , it is a great idea. Better yet they shouldn't own buildings unless they are of historical and civic importance such as the Parliament Buildings and certain City Halls.

o

Cuyahoga County Democrats bought an office building while they were in charge over the past 26 years. It cost the taxpayers $22 million. It has remained empty since 2005 and has cost the taxpayers of Cuyahoga County $45 million in maintenance fees performed on an empty building.

o

brushworks wrote,

has cost the taxpayers of Cuyahoga County $45 million in maintenance fees

Untrue. Annual maintenance fees have totaled about $8 million, according to the Plain Dealer.

o

Brush does not say the fees are annual fees. At 8M a year 45M is likely accurate

o

chase wrote,

Brush does not say the fees are annual fees. At 8M a year 45M is likely accurate

As I said,

"Annual maintenance fees have totaled about $8 million"

o

brushworks wrote,

has cost the taxpayers of Cuyahoga County $45 million in maintenance fees

As I pointed out the annual maintenance fees actually totaled less than $8 million. Will you be correcting your misstatement? I am by now well aware of the aversion of many conservatives to admitting error but I was hoping you would be an exception.

Thank you.

o

You are all assuming any of these buidings are owned by the feds which they may or may not be. Post offices are often leased as are many building used by the actual Feds-which the Post office is not.

o

Yes, here in my part of California, most of the local post offices are leased. The post office has regional service facilities which it may or may not own outright.

o

fato: "As I pointed out the annual maintenance fees actually totaled less than $8 million."

Thank you, fato. ;) It was very nice of you to make sure everyone had the correct number.

o

elvis wrote,

fato: "As I pointed out the annual maintenance fees actually totaled less than $8 million."

Thank you, fato. ;) It was very nice of you to make sure everyone had the correct number.

You're welcome. Why don't you make sure everyone has the correct number of Americans killed in action, instead of the wildly wrong figure of 2,757,196 that you provided and refused to retract?

o

Consistency is the bugaboo of some sort of critter. I forget.

o

marshallz10 wrote,

Consistency is the bugaboo of some sort of critter. I forget.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" (Emerson)

Emphasis added.

This post was edited by Factotem on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 0:06

o

Patriciae, if you are referring to Brush's post I believe he is talking of one specific building in his area.

"Annual maintenance fees have totaled about $8 million, according to the Plain Dealer."

Facto, your post is confusing. It can be read, at least by me, as $8M in total fees each year or the total of annual fees over many years. Without a time qualifier, it reads to me as the first.

o

chase wrote,

Facto, your post is confusing. It can be read, at least by me, as $8M in total fees each year or the total of annual fees over many years. Without a time qualifier, it reads to me as the first.

The total of all the annual maintenance fees paid since the building was acquired is $8 million, not $45 million as brushworks claimed. My apologies for any confusion.

Brushworks, will you be issuing a correction? If not, why not?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here