Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm really afraid for President Obama

Posted by elly_nj NJ z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 7:16

No one has mentioned this: Today, on Martin Luther King Day, President Obama is being inaugurated. There is storm over his intentions to regulate automatic weapons. People have threatened violence over this.

I worry about the wackadoos in the crowd that are ready to kill him. Because of the articulated deep hatred for him, I've always worried about him. Some people who consider themselves "patriots" would be proud of such an act.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm really afraid for President Obama

Don't worry. There are probably 30,000 police guns surrounding the crowd that is there. Guns make us less safe.

o

I share some of your concern, Elly. I only hope his Secret Service personnel can prevent a wackadoo from making himself or herself "famous."

o

President Reagan was surrounded by men with guns when he was shot.

o

And here I thought it was so cool that a mixed race man was being inaugurated on MLK day. I even teared up. It never even occurred to me that it would be a bad thing.

o

I don't think that a mixed race man being inaugurated on MLK day is a bad thing. In fact, I am delighted that it's happening.
But I do think that people with guns who want to shoot him is a very bad thing.

o

I have to admit the thought of the President and First Lady getting out of that limo worries me. Last inauguration I gasped when they got out to walk down the street.

Its just so sad that we even need to worry about his safety and the safety of his family. Why? How can there be so much hate and resulting fear?

It just makes me so sad.

o

Have no fear, saton has his back.

o

Brush put your precious son in the car & stop already your being (fill in the blank)

o

Have no fear, sat0n has his back.

o

But those bad people are around for every president, all the time. There is hate towards all of them. I don't see that this is any more a time for worry than any other. Rest easy and enjoy a more momentous day than before. Who would've thought we'd come so far in a short time? We have a long way to go.

Son said, you Dr. King is saying, Now that's what I was talking about!

Just be joyous. They have it covered as well as they can.

o

I too share your concerns Elly. Obama will be sworn in with two Bibles, one that had belonged to Lincoln, the other to MLK Jr. I don't know which ones racists dislike more. Then the gun issue on top of this .... . Gotta admire Obama's courage.

o

I've had the same thought, not just for today, either. If this forum is any indication, some people go NUTS over their "right" to own as many guns as they want, and will do ANYTHING to protect that "right". It's scary.

o

They were like this before the SandyHook incident. There just wasn't a spotlight on it.

o

All the inaugurations of all the presidents scare the heck out of me for the same reasons. Too many crazy people out there with guns.

o

I don't want to minimize your assertions, rob, but this mixed race president is, by that very fact, more vulnerable than most to the haters in this country. It's during this administration that gun sales have gone through the roof. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but everything I read and see shows that Obama's election drove people in droves to gun stores and gun shows. Yes, I fear for him far more than I have feared for his predecessors.

o

I thought the same thing. WIth a crowd like that, what a way to make a statement, and not just from the gun crowd, or right wing loons. From outside terrorists, as well. From the right wing side, it'd be the dumbest thing they ever did. You can BET that guns would be all but history at that point, and that Obama would then be made a martyr, which sickens me just to think about.

o

The Secret service know where he plans to get out of the car. I have more fear for the poor soul that is standing beside the stupid parrot.

Wasn't there a discussion about innocent people being killed when the drones hone in on the target. It will be "Go Ahead Make My Day" for the idiot with that plan.

o

If there were an attempt on his life, the right-wing crazies would claim that it was a government plot so the President Obama could take away their guns.

o

I had never seen so much hate towards a pres, until George Bush, he is still alive.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 10:20

You are right Nancy, after all they "believe" (there is that whole non factual belief system in play) that he had children slaughtered in a small American town so he could grab their guns.

nutter butters

o

I believe they went out in droves to buy guns was to get them while they still existed. It wasn't to use them on him. Not that I am diminishing what you said, it's just that's what I kept hearing. So you can balance it with that thought. I have seen a lot of hate towards a lot of presidents. Maybe y'all aren't running in the same circles, but there is hate directed at Washington, DC in general. Do I think people will act on it? Not from the "normal" hating people. But I don't think it's any more than usual. Just me evidently. I've seen such hate from this group. It's directed at all sorts of things. Maybe it has been voiced just as loudly, just not on as a public forum as this is.

o

Buttered Nutters?

o

I didn't say that the uptick in gun sales meant that Obama was the direct target. Bu the uptick was certainly aimed at the fear that this president would somehow be able to come into your house and take your guns out of your hand. I don't think there is a single explanation for this phenomenon.

I agree with Bill that the very worst thing a right-wing person or terrorist or even just a wackadoo attempted to murder the president, gun legislation would be a shoo-in. I also think that while Obama could be made a martyr were he killed, there are plenty of folks out there who would cheer for his murderer and dance on his grave. I know that hate is directed toward D.C. in general, but it's also true that for some people, this particular president is the focus of much of that hate.

As I said, the matter is complicated and nuanced. Let us hope that today is uneventful in terms of any disturbances. I'm watching the presidential limo carrying the president to the Capital right now--an historical moment.

o

the left sure has a thing about gun owners fearing confiscation. It doesnt matter that fear of confiscation is mostly non existant. But as with all the other anti gun crap, keep repeatimng it and others of your kind might believe it.
There are lots of reasons to be buying up guns stuff. Investment, get before a ban, get before demand escalates prices, been gonna get one now seems like the time.

seems to me most hate derives from the left, from the right, disgust.

o

ditto everything you said pidge!

o

the left sure has a thing about gun owners fearing confiscation. It doesnt matter that fear of confiscation is mostly non existant.

Well, listening to the speakers at the pro-gun rallies this past weekend, that was a major theme. Any, ANY legislation was the first step in a process that would lead to total confiscation.

o

What sickens you ,Bill? The thought Obama could be killed or that the right wing loonies would get a bad reputation and he would be a martyr?

FF.. hate from the left , disgust from the right. You got that ass backward..The whack jobs are all yours. Be proud. The country is behind Obama. Is Romney up there today taking the oath. NO

o

lily, your posts usually contain hate, good examples of what I mean.

No, Romney lost, America is the loser.

o

Is Romney up there today taking the oath. NO

Thank you for that reminder!

And thank goodness!

It is a good day today, and we have some hope for the future. Unlike if the election had gone the other way. What a disaster that would have been. It does remind me to have some faith in my fellow human being. Much needed because some days reading the stuff here can really get one depressed. Today reminds me they are the minority and there is hope.

o

Romney tucked away in one of his homes today instead of standing up there on the podium getting sworn in makes this one of the happiest days of my life. Reminds me the Right isn't as powerful as they are in their own tiny minds.

o

Yo Rob, you know that you and I go back too far to think that we are very far apart on many issues.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 14:07

the left sure has a thing about gun owners fearing confiscation

You do not read this forum then, because that is all we have been hearing/reading endlessly from gun owners that post here. They are the ones that claim "Obama is coming for their guns".

The left is assuring them that the black boots are not coming to knock down their door and there is no reason for "a last stand". They do not believe us.

o

The Secret Service do the best job they can protecting the President. If it weren't for them, Reagan would have died... not just been wounded. They can't always throw themselves into the path of an oncoming bullet, given travel speed and the unknown trajectory.

While I'm not afraid that the President will be shot, I wouldn't put it past the illogical, disrespectful, entitled, and unhinged segment of our population to try.

o

I've been worried about this threat ever since Obama was first elected. It sickens me the incredible hatred aimed at him from all parts of this nation.I don't recall anything like that before, even when Carter was President. I fear a home grown terrorist with guns far more than Al Quaida, in Washington DC.

thank god it was not Romney taking the oath up there....

o

I think home grown terrorists are way more to be feared than AlQueda.

o

Obama and Michelle got out of "the Beast" and walked a couple of blocks. Loved it, but was glad to see them get back in the limo.

o

I actually feared for his life during the campaign in 2008, long before he was elected and sworn in. I said to my DH at the time that if I were Michelle, I would have done everything I could to talk him out of running. Too many crazies in this country.

o

There are probably 30,000 police guns surrounding the crowd that is there. Guns make us less safe.

I have seen some dumbazz sarcasm here but that one takes the cake so far this year.

o

Irrational and Armed is VERY scary. It's frightening *on a daily basis* in America.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here