Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It wasn't a priest this time.

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 7:53

There are over 3,000 perverted teachers who have lost their certificates to teach, and there are still thousands in the classrooms. There's no trigger on this crime, so not many are outraged by it.

LOS ANGELES (AP) � Los Angeles police say a fourth-grade teacher in the classroom for nearly 40 years has been arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing 20 students and one adult.

Police said in a statement that Robert Pimentel of Newport Beach, a teacher at George De La Torre Jr. Elementary in the Wilmington area, was arrested Wednesday and was being held on $12 million bail.

Police say he's been charged with 15 felonies, and is expected to be charged with misdemeanors for the remaining incidents.

The Los Angeles Unified School District said in a statement that when the investigation began last March, Pimentel was immediately removed from campus and parents and state credentialing authorities were informed.

The district says Pimentel retired before he could be fired. He had worked for LAUSD since 1974.

He retired. Will he be eligible for a comfy retirement check while serving in prison?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It wasn't a priest this time.

Maybe he will share a cell with a priest...

o

Since it is his own money in his retirement account, I don't see how anyone could legally deprive him of it.

Which is not to say that I am not disgusted at abusive teachers being retained in the school system.

Kate

o

Ugh. Too many folks look away, fearing that they're just influenced by the media and seeing what isn't there, or -- especially in brutally hierarchical careers like the priesthood or education -- fearful of their own positions. 40 years and nobody ever suspected the least thing? I think not.

o

I think not also!

o

Kate,

Was he hired to teach for that money and retirement or abuse children? He used his position to abuse children, therefore he's not entitled to any earnings since he performed the ugliest of unethical acts against children.

Look deeper, Kate.

o

dublin"""""Since it is his own money in his retirement account, I don't see how anyone could legally deprive him of it.

Kate I don't know how the CA retirement program works but here in Fl all retirement monies for state employees is paid by the state not the employee (or was until recently and is now in litigation). If that be the case in CA. that is probably the reason he quit before being convicted..........so he wouldn't lose his retirement. My understanding is that here in FL if you are convicted of a felony while employed you can be fired and also lose your retirement.

o

I have worked for the State most of my adult life and I have always been required to pay into my retirement account--and encouraged to put in even more of my own money than the minimum the law required. The state institution also put in money in my retirement account--that was considered part of my earned salary and was covered in my contract. The institution would have been in serious legal trouble if it violated the contract. ANd once the institution put it in my retirement account (yearly), the institution no longer had any legal right or access to it at that point.

It is quite possible that the system works differently in different states, but I have worked for state institutions in 5 different states--so I have some first-hand experience with these matters. The money the institution contributes, by contract, to the employee's retirement account is not some kind of "bonus" awarded, at the boss's discretion, to employees for "good work."

If the law in your state says all paid out retirement funds must be reimbursed to the state, even if the state has been putting it in the employee's account for decades, if the employee commits (or do you mean, is "convicted of") a felony, then that is what it says. I have never heard of such a law in the 5 states (and 6 state institutions) I have worked in.

Please do understand that I am as appalled at the idea of pedophiles in our schools as you are. I'm simply pointing out that salaries and such are covered by legal contracts--not by the arbitrary will of the person in charge. Wait for the courts to convict the pedaphile and send him to prison. That is how our system works.

Kate

o

I think the thing people aren't looking at is that as our population grows and doubles, so will the anomalies within that population... and as worldwide communication has opened up, so has our ability to learn about every story out there, as it happens.

There's no excuse for abusing children... ever.

But it's logical that society's issues multiply as the population multiplies.

o

Kate, some CA school districts offer a choice of Social Security or CalSTRS.

I saw this article on the front page of the LAT, but haven't had time to read it. The revelations regarding the Los Angeles Archdiocese and Cardinal Mahony are still front page, above the fold.

o

I wasn't actually talking about Social Security, but about separate retirement accounts in addition to the social Security accounts, and not as an alternative to Social Security.

Hence, as a retiree, I collect from social Security (money some other worker contributed to my generation of workers) AND I collected all my money from the state mandated individual retirement account that both myself and the state (my employer) have been paying into, as part of my yearly contract, for about 40 years. That is MY MONEY paid by myself and the State, per contract agreement, into my retirement account.

It is possible, like I said, that different states have different ways of handling all this, but I wanted to clarify that the money being discussed above had nothing to do with Social Security (which is NOT a retirement account).

Kate

o

I wasn't actually talking about Social Security, but about separate retirement accounts in addition to the social Security accounts, and not as an alternative to Social Security.

Hence, as a retiree, I collect from social Security (money some other worker contributed to my generation of workers) AND I collected all my money from the state mandated individual retirement account that both myself and the state (my employer) have been paying into, as part of my yearly contract, for about 40 years. That is MY MONEY paid by myself and the State, per contract agreement, into my retirement account.

It is possible, like I said, that different states have different ways of handling all this, but I wanted to clarify that the money being discussed above had nothing to do with Social Security (which is NOT a retirement account).

Kate

o

Sorry folks--I have no idea why the computer posted my message a second time--two hours later!!!!

My computer is developing a mind of its own but hasn't learned how to deal with antagonism towards its owner?

Kate

o

Is there a ranking of 'icky-ness'? It seems *more* icky to me when done by your 'religious' advisor, a family member or 'friend' of the family.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here