Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you want to live to 100?

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 9:33

For those of us alive today who may yet reach 100, there is another question: would we want to?

The Office for National Statistics has estimated that nearly 40 per cent of girls born this year will live to be 100, rising to 60 per cent for those born in 2060. Boys are not far behind. What we cannot know is whether, if asked, they would choose to live so long.

Jonathan Swift understood the question. Gulliver's Travels features a race of humans, the Struldbrugs, who were normal in all respects except one � they did not die. But their immortality, instead of being a blessing, was a curse, because they continued to age.

"At 90, they lose their teeth and hair; they have at that age no distinction of taste, but eat and drink whatever they can get, without relish or appetite. The diseases they were subject to still continue... the question therefore was not, whether a man would choose to be always in the prime of youth, attended with prosperity and health; but how he would pass a perpetual life under all the usual disadvantages which old age brings along with it."

In a recent article, Walter James, who celebrated his 100th birthday last year, wrote movingly of the deprivations of age, not on his body or mind, but on his emotions.

Though he still shops, cooks and looks after himself, does the crossword, enjoys a glass of whisky and can recall events from his past with clarity, what he cannot recover are the feelings and sensations that accompanied the events.

Recounting his sporting successes and sexual adventures, he notes the absence of the excitement and exhilaration that went with them. "My memory has kept the bones but lost the flesh around them."

He adds: "Perhaps the greatest loss is what it is like to be in love. I can remember the routines of being in love, the shared meals, concerts and theatres, walks in the country.

"But writing all this is like taking a book down from the shelf and leafing through its pages. What escapes me is that extraordinary sense, which so many share, of being in love."

Here is a link that might be useful: Is it worth it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you want to live to 100?

I enjoy life, love my work, but I don't care to make it to 60. (I am 50.) Things are starting show my age - physical limitations. I love my age spots and wrinkles, I've earned them.

I am at peace with dying. My mother passed away on New Year's Eve, so I no longer have to worry about her care. I have no children or grandchildren to leave behind. DBF will miss me, but, he'll be OK.

o

No, I don't. As Steven Wright once said "who wants more of the depends years?"

But seriously, I don't want to live that long.

o

October, my condolences to you on the loss of your mother.
I am sorry.

I haven't wanted to live since my husband died, so there's that--but unless I had good health I would not want to even if he were alive.

With my in laws (90s and late 80s) finally slowing down this year and my mom's problems with mobility the last few months, I'm quite cognizant of what it would be like. I am scared of living and not having the independence to care for myself and my business--being a burden to someone. Both daughters are at opposite ends of the continent with me in the middle and I will not want to interrupt their lives.

No Today Show Willard Wishes sponsored by Smuckers for me!

o

At 60 I have no interest in seeing 100. The brain has been showing it's age for awhile now no matter how many word games or mind benders I play.

o

Absolutely not. Living into the mid-70's would be more than enough time on earth. I'm prepared to die, like everyone does. It's unavoidable. I don't want to live so long as to be a burden on my kids, or to live without any major faculties intact. I've got enough issues right now... by the time I'm 70-something, I'll be more than ready.

o

The brain has been showing it's age for awhile now no matter how many word games or mind benders I play.

Your brain is just fine, Labrea.

It's one of the reasons I log in.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 10:06

My Great Grandmother Zelda lived to be 106... she was hilarious and, while she had the expected physical deterioration (eyesight, mobility), as far as anyone could tell she was intellectually intact and having fun until the end. She used to hook someone, usually me, with her cane as they passed by during family gatherings... "Who is this? KWoods? Gen's son?..." as she peered into my face from inches away... and then proceeded to subject me to an ancient but varied repertoire of off color jokes followed by "Go fetch me a scotch and soda... not too much ice...".

I think it takes a certain kind of unquantifiable strength, courage, dignity to face age, what it does and what it means. Not sure if I have what Zelda had.

o

My parents are now in a nursing home and I am solely responsible for their care (medical appts, legal stuff, bills). It is pretty tough to handle while raising a family of my own. It makes me feel very guilty for having kids later in life. I imagine my daughter, in particular, will be stuck with me as a burden.

The best predictor of how long you will live is genetics (not the only, just the best) and unfortunately, I will go the distance. I also don't eat much junk and I exercise. I joke that I should take up smoking as a hobby.

I once heard Bill Maher joke that everyone says they don't want to live to 90. Then: "you know who wants to live to 90? Ask someone 89."

o

october, I am sorry to hear about your mother. She was lucky to have you.

o

I sort of hit "old age" at about 75 and a half and have spent the last year or so contemplating my life in 5, 10 and 15 years. I'm still running my businesses and am still recognized as a valuable member of organizations I support and am active in. But I am slowing down physically and mentally and must resist my children's ministrations to make my "old age" easier. A strange position to be in since I have been so independent and self-supporting most of my adult life. What likely will happen is that when I retire, the spirit that has kept me going will seep away, leaving me to contemplate an empty future. Who wants to live that way for long?

o

My grandmother and my aunt died at 95. My mother will be 95 next month, and I always say she is a 50 year old mind trapped in a 94 year old body. I want to live only as long as I am independent, and my mind is sharp. I had a great aunt who died at 106. She had hoed her garden that morning and laid down to take a nap that afternoon and died in her sleep. Perfect way to go.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 10:49

Live to be 100? Not unless I can still do some gardening. Otherwise having a fatal heart attack at 85 while digging in the soil will do me just fine. Don't want to be a burden upon anyone while wasting away.
Marshall, retire while your spirit is still strong! I was somewhat worried that I'd become bored but it turned out that I now have less time to be bored since retiring 4 years ago. Time flies by faster now too.

o

october, I am sorry you lost your mom. I lost my mom Sept 2011 the loss of my Mom has been the biggest hurt I have experienced in my life. The hurt is still very deep. Your mom was blessed to have you.

There is a big difference of being a live and living. As long as I can garden, care for myself and be happy I want to live to be 500. But if I am just breathing that is not living and I wish to go tomorrow if I am not living.

o

Gosh, Mrs. What a blessing for your Aunt.

o

Vgkg, I am not interested in retiring; I enjoy so much what I do. I am now "leading" my third generation of seed saving fanatics, helping to start up a Seed Saving Guild with four supporting farms/ranches (including the Institute's) scheduled to hold work shops and do the actual core of seed breeding and saving. This Sunday we are having a 4th annual seed swap at the local main library in SB. In two or so weeks there will be another seed swap in the Ojai Valley organized by locals. I'll be attending both events and presenting at the first.

No back to discussing old age and death

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 11:10

Sounds Great Marshall, I too enjoyed my professional laboratory work but your "job" sounds like more fun for sure....and if it keeps time on the slower track that's good too.

o

Agree with VGKG. I want to live as long as I can dig in the earth. I haven't been in love romantically speaking for about a dozen years, so that's not even remotely an issue. But if I can't create beauty and support life around me by growing plants, I would be bereft. (Yes, it's a little melodramatic, but true.)

My maternal grandmother died 1 month shy of 99. My paternal grandmother died at 53, my current age. Whose genetics are at play here? It's a crapshoot. Having already had a couple near misses with death, and with those genetics, it could happen at any age.

o

I would have no problem living to 100 if I was reasonably healthy and productive, both mentally and physically.

I had a great aunt who lived to be almost that age and she was a spry little spitfire who traveled, usually alone, well into her 90s. She was quite independent, energetic, and fearless.

My brother is in his mid 70s and continues to run his own little business and travels all over the Eastern Seaboard almost every week. In the past few years he's received a new hip and a pacemaker when they discovered his heart was stopping at times. That hasn't slowed him down one bit.

While many of us may not be so fortunate healthwise when we reach that age, it is not a foregone conclusion that we become fragile useless creatures at a certain age.

I frequently have those "can't wait to retire" moments, but would probably be bored out of my mind. By nature, some of us are pretty driven. I'm always making plans for the future.

I want to be like Marshall when I grow up. :-)

o

The brain requires physical activity (exercise) more than it does puzzles and word games.

Exercise optimizes your brain’s capacity to learn. Exercise boosts metabolism, decreases stress and improves mood and attention, all of which help the brain perform better. According to Dr. John Ratey, Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School in Boston, “The brain cells actually become more resilient and more pliable and are more ready to link up,” he says. It’s this linking up that allows us to retain new information.

Science is unsure about how much exercise you need to reap the optimal benefits. But researchers do know that even a brisk walk a few times a week can be a great help. Take the time to include any kind of exercise in your life. You do not have to become a tri-athlete to start improving your health, body and mind!

Yes. I'll live to 100 like many of my ancestors, except I'll be in better health since I don't indulge (anymore) in the ethic poison food they grew up on.

With that said, as long as I'm 50% independent, I'll stay and keep an eye on my grandchildren.

Besides, I want to spend my social security checks!..HaHaHa

o

There was this wealthy family here in San Diego, the Marston's who owned a prestigious department store. Anyway, one of the 'kids' died at 98 or somewheres around there. In the obituary it stated that another sibling had died at 102 but the other four were all still alive. The oldest at the time was 108. This was all about 10-15 years ago. I have no problems to living at whatever age, just as long as my mind and my health are there. I also read where Jeanne Calment stopped riding a bike at 100 and she gave up her cigarette a day at 116.

I've still got three more years before I turn 70, so I don't even think so far down the line to 100. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I don't have any control over it anyway.

-Ron-

o

Oh yes, please! I can't bear to think of not seeing my garden come back to life in the Spring, or to not see those new plants come to maturity in four or five years and take their place in the tapestry I've imagined . . .

Best wishes
Jon

o

Hell, at that point, I don't know that I'll even be able to LIFT a gun, much less fire it.

:-)

o

Bill--we'll be able to lift.

We'll practice. ;)

o

Now, think about all the old people that you have known that you thought were tooooo old to drive.

Do you want to live until someone has to drive for you, take you shopping for food, take you to the doctor?

It's one thing to be able to do everything for yourself and quite another to have to depend on someone to do it for you. It's about the physical, not the mental, health.
Reflex and response time has slowed. You can endanger others if you continue to drive.

o

Well said Jon. I am currently starting assorted interesting trees from seed. Franklinia blooms in about 4-5 years, but a tree like Cladrastis kentukea takes 10-20 years! The thought that I may never see my babies bloom, or perhaps not even experience the joy of returning Springtime gives me a pang in the heart, but it sure isn't going to stop me. Hopefully somebody else would then enjoy these someday.

"A society grows great when old people plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"...Unknown Author

o

Listening to some of you encourages me to think that if your wishes come true, Medicare will be cheaper when I'm 70.

o

There's the old Swedish joke about Jens, Sven and Ole.

"How do you want to die?" asks Jens. "Me, I vant to die when I'm young, before I lose my facilities and become a burden."

"I vant to die of old age, surrounded by friends and family in my own home," says Sven.

Says Ole: "I vant to die at the age of 105, killed by a jealous husband."

o

I am reading a book where a 95 year old woman in a nursing home is grateful for her favorite nursing aid who will brush her hair 100 strokes every day and looks at her old face and body but still speaks to the young 20 year old who lives within that old body.

In nursing homes, an actual very old person such as this one would likely be lucky to ever have a single person like that in her life.

I don't want to live to that point. As long as I feel reasonably well enough to be able to look after myself if alone, pay for someone to look after the home needs that perhaps I can no longer manage (repairs, heavy cleaning, decisions about major repairs) and still plan and attend, without help, at least a weekly social outing with friends like myself, I'm good with it.

I don't want to end up as "the last one left", that happens more often than you would think.

If I'm dependent on somebody else to create a life for me which is bearable, and who also must take care of some or all of my physical needs, it is not the kind of life for myself that I would consider to be called "living".

o

MrsK..I agree that's a good way to go. Hoe your garden and then take a nap. My elderly neighbor tended his 800 rosebushes every single day including the day it was in the upper 90's. He keeled over and died the next day.

Genetics play a role, but my family is mixed. All but one grandparent died in their 70's, paternal grandmother in her 80's, but three of her kids died at , 59, 63, and 71, the last being my dad. Lung cancer. Maternal side grandmother died at 75 but her three daughters lived till their 90's, one still alive at 95. My mother was 91.

My two best friends had early deaths, one from early dementia and one from Parkinson's. I currently have a friend battling brain cancer and one with breast cancer. So one never knows how the dice will roll.

Physically I am okay(knock on wood) but forgetting stuff is starting to worry me. One reason I do all the exercise every day is prevention. I read it helps clear your mind doing vigorous exercise and the cardio benefits can't hurt. I don't ever want to go to a nursing home, and yet wouldn't want to live with my kids who both live near by.

I guess I'd like to go like Mrsk aunt: do some gardening , play with my cats and drop dead.

Now out to the bitter cold to walk the dogs.

o

My son in law is a wonderful daddy. He participates in all aspects of raising their three children. Whether it's school work, a bath, story time, or dirty diaper changing, he's there.

My daughter praises him so that when the time comes, he'll be just as happy to change her diaper as he is the children's diapers.

That's a true story.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 16:33

100 - no, but 90, like my father and grandmother. I want to see my grandchildren grow up and start their own lives.

o

I first became aware of the societal problems of "the old old" (85+) when the director of our VNA brought it up during a planning meeting in about 1980. It was a concern for an agency providing home health care on a sliding-fee scale to the whole community. (Soon hospitals saw the burgeoning demographic, and community-based care was over.)

I was considered 'an older mother' at 30. Son's playmate had a mother and father who were 34 and 42 at his birth. I remember thinking how OLD this father was when we celebrated his 70th birthday -- and how much less old that seemed when *I* turned seventy. We all wish we were younger for grandchildren who are now between one and eight.

I am so amazed that I never saw my future older self when I looked at my elders. I didn't expect the post-menopausal old lady in the mirror. Even ten years ago I was fine running around to suppliers when we were building a house. The very idea of the physical work and stress involved is daunting to me now.

I have that weird good-cholesterol marker. Maybe I'll be 100 like my paternal grandfather. He was alert, active, and as self-important as ever until his last months. Housing him ruined my aunt's child-free years. His wife escaped in her mid-seventies. My maternal grandmother bemoaned living on in arthritic widowhood into her 90's. Her husband died of a stroke at 63, and her sibs died of TB as young adults. My own mother had only a few 'free' years after caring for her mother; dead at 73.

Gardens have seasons; we do too.

o

Mistakes and success....laughter and tears....life and death....love and indifference...beauty of youth...rags to riches....wrinkled skin and replaced knees.
What a life I have had! I would love having a few more but
if I died tomorrow...I will then have a life for eternity.

Probably most of us could have written these lyrics.
And don't they apply to most of us?

And now the end is near
So I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
Oh, and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you know
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fails, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, no not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has not
To say the words he truly feels
And not the words he would reveal
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
By Paul Anka

o

That's one way of looking at it not a favorite song!

Sunrise doesnt't't last all morning
A cloudburst doesnt't't last all day
Seems my love is up and has left you with no warning
Its not always going to be this grey

All things must pass
All things must pass away

Sunset doesnt't't last all evening
A mind can blow those clouds away
After all this, my love is up and must be leaving

All things must pass
All things must pass
None of lifes strings can last
So, I must be on my way
And face another day

Now the darkness only stays the night-time
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time

All things must pass
All things must pass

"I will" be here the "I will" be no more & that is perfectly fine with me!
I accept a punctuation on an ending and the loss of will and self (period).

o

That's a good question for today is my 60th Birthday and I am now officially middle aged. In my mind however I am only 27 and still have my health and am active with still running and going to the gym. Tonight is my intense core class which I figure is a good way to celebrate turning 60.

The women in my life are long-livers. My great-grandmother died at 98, my grandma at 89, my aunts were in their late 80's and early 90's and my mom is still going strong at 84. I know that I will probably live another 25 years and so have always taken care of myself with that in mind. I still run to keep my cardio strong, I go to a core class so that I don't fall and bring a hip, I go to strength classes so that I can maintain my garden and home, I read and do crosswords to keep my mind working and I come here to help myself stay in touch with what people are thinking. You guys help me stay on my toes!

I want to live longer because I want to be a grandma and get to know my grandchildren (my kids figure I want to haunt them in my dotage), I want to know what is going to happen in the world, I just want to keep going.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 19:59

"Gardens have seasons; we do too"

I "like" this.

I don't give it much thought, but my oldest daughter who is in her 40's constantly rants how she does not want to live to be "old".

"I don't have any control over it anyway"

Amen!

o

As of today, I would happily accept a life that lasted 100 years.

o

Frank, don't tell me! You're 99?

o

frank you look gerrrrrrrrate to be 99. Lol
It is so true that our body ages but our mind is still
jumping rope and playing kick the can in many ways

o

Gardens have seasons; we do too

Old age is "winter interest" season.

o

No. Absolutely not. I am 60 and in excellent health, still work out at the gym and ride my horse 3 days a week. I'm a voracious reader & news junkie. That said, I know my body's limits are decreasing and mentally I am surprised when the word I want escapes me. I watch my 89 year old MIL and 82 year old Mother becoming increasingly frail and forgetful with health and mental deterioration that is increasing at an alarming rate. I don't want my body to outlive my mental ability or my physical capabilities. Just because medicine can keep us alive doesn't mean it should.

o

Bothell, I agree with you. Without an active and agile mind, assuming that is one's norm through life, living into advanced age has no advantages for the individual and poses a burden on care givers. That is my personal opinion and applies only to me and the quality of life that I expect, God and genetics and chance willing.

o

As long as I could say, "This is a beautiful day, thank you" it would be ok, but I wouldn't want to be alone to listen just to myself, that's for sure. Who knows if I'll have a choice -- but truthfully, have to say no. :)

o

My friend said today that I was certifiably nuts to walk the dogs in 16 degree weather. But I did, and we survived. I do think my mother lived to almost 92 because she walked all the time. She wasn't as fanatic as me but I remember a time when we all were up at her house, and we went for a walk in the woods by an historic house. She never wanted to walk that when she was alone in case she fell, but when the gang was there we did. It was a very hilly three or four miles up and down meadows thru the woods and she led the way. She was 88. She mowed her yard till she was 90 and when I had to move her out of the home she and my father built 50 years earlier, she went down hill fast and died less than two years later.

Even though she should have been in the assisted living section, I had her in the independent unit because I went over every day. But I had to call her and tell her when to get ready for dinner. When I'd go over after her dinner and ask what she had, she'd say...did I have dinner?

So , no to 100 if this is in my future.

o

I'm in my 70s. The brain a bit slower, but know exactly what's up. The body is a huge irritation, what once was hours of working in the yard and creative endeavors is down to a couple of hours. It is also easy to just stay home than get involved in groups.

I still do my own maintaining of house and love new projects. But the slow bugs me and I hate asking for help.

Until a year ago I volunteered at Restore for 4 years, always loved hardware stores. But younger volunteers came in and it was a tough call to keep up with their double energy. I was spending too much money there as it was.

Now I have spent 4 mos working with my lab for certification as a Therapy Dog. He has a week to go. We will spend our extra time visiting the soldiers at the Army hospital. Do not underestimate the amount of time and energy it takes to go through this program. I had no clue, but body, brain and dexterity are adamant. Plus the dog is smarter than I am. We will continue to do this as long as I am sure on my feet and can carry on a valuable conversation.

But the answer to 100 is no. In fact 80 plus is in question. The activities above are seen as great for my age, but they also tell me what/when things change quickly. Being aware of all we can do and respecting abilities. Growing old comes quickly, being aware of changes important in many aspects of what once was normal routine. And I don't want my kids to take care of me or spend money on being in a hospital. Let the kids have more to their lives than dragging out what is seen. Do them a favor and have your DNR, or maybe a favor to us who do not want to live incapacitated.

Someone mentioned medicare going down, it went up 15% as did other insurance and drug coverage in a smaller amount. I can only consider it insurance against something catastrophic which I'd rather not be part of. A friend told me that with all the research being done that is to extend our lives and health issues, insurance and cost of medical is going to be the downfall. I'm beginning to fully understand his comment.

What a better way to end the days than "gardening, petting your animals and going to sleep."

o

I want to live as long as I can tap into HT...

o

Bothell,

Try jogging alongside your horse instead of riding it. :)

o

Brush: are you one of those people who thinks riding a horse isn't exercise? So wrong and I do sometimes jog along side of him when we are doing ground work.

o

If I could be physically and mentally healthy and active enough to continue experimenting with the plant world, then yes.

o

I've been fortunate to have enjoyed good health through 83 years (for less than a week ahead), with no broken bones, very infrequent pain of any intensity, though I had some lung clots something over two years ago and am now on Warfarin. I said on Gardenweb a while ago that I heard that as long as I was on it for less than 5 years, I didn't start looking like a rat ... and someone said that her Dad had been on it for much longer than that ... and no sign of sprouting a tail, yet.

Two kids, 50 or near it, older son nearby, and daughter spending time in AZ and Cozumel, near Mexico: no grandkids. Said that best Christmas gift was going with son and partner to spend a few hours with daughter in Toronto while she and partner were there for a convention.

Grew on a farm in SW Ontario, age 10 in 1939 when World War II began, hired men off to war, so learned early about work, Dad had breathing problems, moved to Saskatchewan in late teens, a year or so on farm, then to Univ. and seminary, spent a few years sent by liberal Protestant church to mission work in Korea just after Korean War, helped refugees get back on their feet for about 10 years.

Parish work in Ontario for several years, wife and I parted 40 years ago when clergy didn't DO THAT, didn't help career any, sold mutual funds for a year or so, not sell enough to suit second-level supervisor ... I was "decommissioned"!

Worked as personal financial advisor, selling no financial products: no conflict of interest, for a number of years.

In recent years have rented farmhouse from sod farmer who purchased step-uncle's farm, have had garden of increasing size: last year over 3/4 mile of row.

Produce goes to a couple of churches (in one of which I sang in choir before voice changed, and another is successor church of one where I was minister over 40 years ago), social service agencies, son, landlord and self.

At Bible study the other day, one of my ideas was very interesting to another participant: more of less lit a light-bulb in her mind, she said.

As the senior population increases, it seems to me that it makes sense for several singles, especially seniors to share housing.
-intellectual stimulation helps keep Alzheimer's at bay,
-one would eat better: less toast and tea referred to as a meal
-shared chores means the home can be cared for longer
-sudden illness has people at hand to take charge
-they can triage: we can take care of it; we call this person's caregiver; we call "911" - right now!
-big savings of household cost and maintenance (part of which can be used to hire part-time housekeeper, if desired).

I figure that I can continue to live on the farm as long as I can drive ... and, past 80, we must attend a consultation with about 15, then take a test of laws and sign recognition, every 2 years, and some are selected to take a driving test, as well. I'll soon attend my third such.

Life is pretty good, looked at from this vantage point.

Oh, yeah: isn't it strange ... how so many Christians tell about what a great place Heaven is ... but how many have you ever met in any hurry to get there??

ole joyful

o

My Grandmother lived to be 102. She lived independently until three months before she passed away. On the day before she died, she had us all smiling. If I could be as healthy and active as she was at 100, I'd be happy to do so. On the other hand, DH's great aunt also lived to be 102. She had Alzheimer's for the last five to eight years of her life and was in a wheelchair. That is not a way I ever want to live. Nor do I want my loved ones to have to deal with the daily stress of having a family member with that cruel disease.

o

great story, joyfulguy, a full life well lived. Keep on "truck farming" for charity, church and others.

o

Ole Joyful just keeps on givin' other people a reason to be joyful...and grateful.

o

Joyful...I enjoyed reading the bits and pieces of your life.
You seem to be the kind of person I love to sit with for
hot tea and an afternoon of just listening.

I bet you are well loved by many.

o

"I bet you are well loved by many." I suspect that citywoman has a good point. If you have a busy social life and a family who loves you and wants to spend time with you, I think that helps one live a happier and healthier life. Is it a cure for old age and its accompanying infirmaries? - no but it probably helps.

o

Three-quarter mile of row, be a lot to hoe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here