Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
Walk A Mile In Our Shoes

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 9:48

Hurricane Sandy ravaged the eastern seaboard on 29-30 October 2012. 75 days later and we need your help.

Would you take 2 minutes from your day and make a phone call for us? Before the vote for sandy relief takes place
Alabama rep mr Brooks doesn't feel taxpayers should subsidize people's summer homes at the shore. He voted no on the last vote .call him 202-225-4801

Rep Steven Palazzo.( rep Mississippi) he also voted no. He reps coastal Mississippi and got plenty of relief money after Katrina.

WHY ARE WE DIFFERENT? We want to be treated the same, not special, the SAME!

Please, call your reps, whether you're in NJ, NY, PA or CA, or anywhere in between.

Visit this web page: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/ , enter your address and presto, your rep's info will come up.

Then comes the fun part. Pick up your phone, dial the number on your screen, and call and tell your congressional representative how strongly you feel that this aid package needs to be passed.

Then, take it one step further. Call or fax Speaker of the House Boehner at:
1011 Longworth House Office Building,
District of Columbia 20515-3508
Phone: (202) 225-6205
Fax: (202) 225-0704

West Chester Office:
7969 Cincinnati-Dayton Road, Suite B
West Chester, Ohio 45069
Phone: (513) 779-5400
Fax: (513) 779-5315

My town was destroyed. We lost everything...our fire house, our school, our village hall, countless businesses, 3 houses of worship. We are coughing and sick.

Remember, they are playing political games with our lives out here in NY and NJ...never before has aid been held up this way. WE are a GIVER state and the TAKER states are refusing to help us.

Thank you for your support.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walk A Mile In Our Shoes

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 10:05

Done!

(((Maggie)))

o

Maggie, I wish I could.

NY and NJ's sin is being largely liberal....and what Christie did was beyond forgiveness. After all , it was Sandy and Christie that GAVE the election to President Obama.......if not their guy surely would have won.

Beyond pathetic and the most mean spirited thing to come out of Congress so far. I believe they will pay dearly for this.

o

Louisiana had one. John Fleming from north Louisiana...dam yankee. Hopefully this will be his last term in office. So sorry Maggie, I have walked a mile in your shoes.

o

Damn Yankee? Why start this crap!

o

Small item, but sometimes you have to acknowledge someone doing the right thing regardless of party affiliation... Palazzo made an unannounced tour of the devastation and changed his mind. He will be voting FOR the relief bill.

o

Thank you, all and Chase - I know you would if you could! We feel very forgotten by our some of our fellow Americans.

Great news about Rep. Palazzo.

o

For crying out loud labrea, that was nothing but a joke, but perhaps it's a regional thing that you didn't get it.

Maybe they should make it mandatory for all of them to tour the devastation. I think it's very hard for people to wrap their minds around unless they are living it. A few months have passed, and too many believe that things are back to "normal".

o

Maggie you have my support. I have sent my letters snail mail, called and emailed. What has been done is a disgrace for our citizens of the United States.

Take care and I hope the relief you need is passed soon.

o

I'll be contacting Boehner since my rep, Henry Waxman, is undoubtedly supporting this relief bill.

Californians are all too aware of the necessity of government disaster relief funds. And the CA idiots who vote against this relief bill are just that - hypocritical idiots. The next earthquake or raging brush fire that hits, they'll be demanding that DC do something, like yesterday.

o

I will do that after lunch, Maggie. I have signed every piece of mail I got concerning Sandy and have written messages in addition to my signature. Moveon and Obama and other groups are trying to get internet support for this funding. My senators voted for funding.

I totally agree that since we are the "liberal" Northeast , the red states are thumbing their noses at us. So unfair when the whole country went to Katrina immediately. The right wing teabaggers don't have much Christian compassion, do they?

o

For crying out loud labrea, that was nothing but a joke, but perhaps it's a regional thing that you didn't get it.

Perhaps it was a joke to you but not very funny, and rather insensitive especially to those like Maggie who are still displaced. There is a time and place for jokes but this thread isn't one of them.

Maggie, done. I contacted Boehner and forwarded the information asking others to do the same.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 13:44

o

Your as touchy as it comes to regionalism so I give no ground to your humor! Apologize and get on with it!

This post was edited by labrea on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 12:45

o

I've contacted my congressperson but none of his recent public statements have given any sense that he will vote to help our New Jersey or New York neighbors.

o

" At least one of the 67 conservative Republicans who opposed the bill is just months removed from seeing a natural disaster devastate his own district.
That would be Rep. Doug Lamborn of Colorado Springs, where the Waldo Canyon Fire last June destroyed close to 350 homes and led to $352.6 million in insurance claims.

Following that fire, Lamborn signed onto a letter along with the other members of the Colorado congressional delegation asking the White House for additional FEMA disaster relief.

Two months earlier, Lamborn had actually introduced his own legislation aimed at limiting executive disaster declarations and federal dollars they free up.

"Most disasters - tornadoes, snowstorms, fires, floods - are state and local issues," Lamborn said in a press release announcing the move. "Last year, President Obama issued over 240 FEMA disaster declarations, breaking the previous by over 80. Obama increased the national debt with his very generous use of 'disaster declarations."

On Friday, the other three Colorado Republican House members, Reps. Mike Coffman, Cory Gardner and Scott Tipton, all voted in favor of the Sandy relief package. "

Of course, Colorado Springs would dry up and blow away if it weren't for the Federal Gvt, what with the Air Force Academy, Fort Carson, NORAD, and half the population are vets living on Gvt pensions.

Happy to see that my own rep voted for the relief, and at the same time is asking for funds to help mitigate the beetle kill / drought / horrendous forest fire risk.

o

The whole things is a national disgrace!

o

Really labrea, being called a yankee is an insult? When exactly did this take place? My sincerest apologies to any of you who might feel denigrated by being called a yankee. Is it on equal footing with being called a racist? Just need to know at what level the insult fits.

o

Done, Maggie.

I'm very sorry that our country refuses to do the right right thing for those who continue to live in such need. I'm ashamed of these people Americans who were voted into office.

Come the next house elections, we must keep track of those same names who get voted back into office. Then we will understand who are those specific, uncaring, unconcerned communities and states in which to hold in blame.

I fear mine will be one of them.

o

Really labrea, being called a yankee is an insult?

How about a "dam yankee"? Is that an insult?

John Fleming from north Louisiana...dam yankee.

I realize you were making fun of his being from "north" Louisiana, but it was of course meant to be an insult originally.

o

To me Yankee is a derogatory term used by Southerners to describe people from the North. I've never heard it used "lovingly"...right up there with redneck.

Having said that I understood the intent. It just wasn't particularly clever within the context of this thread.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 15:11

To me Yankee is a derogatory term used by Southerners to describe people from the North. I've never heard it used "lovingly"...right up there with redneck.

Having said that I understood the intent. It just wasn't particularly clever within the context of this thread.

Actually, it was very clever.

You don't live in Louisiana so it's obvious you don't get it.

There are running jokes about "yankees" in North Louisiana and Coon***** in South Louisiana. Boudreaux jokes. North Louisiana cooking jokes--all in reference to the distinct differences between north, south and central Louisiana.

They are like talking about your family--it's okay to do it among yourselves, but ranks close when outsiders do it.

Really--it's not about any of you as much as you obviously think it is.

Maggie, will do.

o

Called Boehner's office, and there are long wait times to speak to a human - and Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever is the music when you're on hold. The recorded announcement says his office is experiencing heavy call volume. Hope that's a good sign. I finally left a message on the comments line.

o

"It just wasn't particularly clever WITHIN the context of this thread. "

o

I usually tend to look at it as a pejorative when applied to Northerners by Southerners. I suppose people from the South would take umbrage at being referred to as Rebels or Confederates by us in the North.

But wasn't "Yankee" originally a reference to someone from the North East/New England? I know the application is broader now, but one doesn't usually think of someone from the Mid West as a Yankee.

o

Well, let's beat mrskjun with a wet noodle.

Like she probably cares.

Par for the course around here.

o

I read Nancy's post and called Boehners office and just left a message because I didn't have an hour to remain on hold. Also called my congressman Teabagger Scott Perry. He's a real creep. The Republican who left office , Todd Platts who retired after pledging to serve two terms was a decent guy. This Perry is a militant gun loving moron.

o

Called and left messages for Boehner and Brooks, and talked to an intern for Pingree who stated that she's in favor of the aid package.

o

The inaction has me sick along with the elected jerks & jokers!
My sisters been battling with FEMA for 2 months the listed the watermark on her house as 4 ft not bad but then listed no damage.
All the electric & boiler was in the basement was destroyed along with her appliances, no damage. Worst part is getting someone who says the same thing as someone else you spoke to before.
I'm not interested in Confederate Humor Demi! They lost the United States won get over yet it pops up on here every now & then I'll consider the sources.

o

One would hope that all these moronic hypocrites get voted out in 2 years. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that some percentage of the people in their district probably agree with their vote since it's those liberal northerners that need help this time. Givers and takers. Some things never change.

o

It's them "values" again.

Get on the phone...I wish!

Been 2 long months now. People are forced to watch their homes rot away-beyond repair-because Republicans are deliberately blocking help.

Beyond disgusting.

o

Maybe the relief bill would not have been turned down if it were not filled with so much pork the first time around. This bill should only include money needed for Hurricane Sandy. Has anybody even bothered to actually read this bill and seen how much money is going into things that have absolutely nothing to do with Hurricane Sandy relief? I would be more than happy to support a bill that is just to aid the regions affected but cannot support a bill filled with billions for other projects.

o

Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 17:56

Does anyone have a link to the full bill ? I would love to see/read it, the one thing I agree with was the money that was to go to Alaska but I thought the other monies were for damages sustained on military bases and the VA from Sandy. Or I am wrong. :)

o

I can't find the full text- even in PDF form. All the GPO sites pull up is HR 41, a two paragraph "cover letter" looking document.

Where they're hiding the pork is anyone's guess - piling it on other bills, I suppose

Here is a link that might be useful: HR 41

o

Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 18:29

So how do the posters who keep saying it is full of pork know about the "bacon" ?

Okay you who have seen it ... give it up (^_^) or else I will "suspect" you of repeating talking points.

Not ducking, I wear big girl panties.

o

Maybe the relief bill would not have been turned down if it were not filled with so much pork the first time around. This bill should only include money needed for Hurricane Sandy.

I don't think many disagree with you. There shouldn't be pork added to these bills period. Unfortunately it happens all the time. It happened during Katrina and other disasters yet they weren't stopped for political reasons like this one.

The bottom line is people are suffering.

Stop using people's lives and homes to make political points.

OM here is a list of the pork. Much is disaster related including fixing the VA hospital in Manhattan which is located 1 block from the East River and near NYU Med Center which had more than $1 billion in damages and just partly reopened two weeks ago.

�$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects.
�$100 million for the repair of all 265 Head Start centers around the country.
�$8 million (+) to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments.
�$150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska.
�$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C.
�$207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center.
�$41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm's path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
�$4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
�$3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center of New York.
�$1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

o

�$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects.
�$100 million for the repair of all 265 Head Start centers around the country.
�$8 million (+) to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments.
�$150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska.
�$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C.
�$207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center.
�$41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm's path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
�$4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
�$3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center of New York.
�$1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

To give you a good idea of how much was wasted...the estimated damage from Sandy was 20 billion...the original bill proposed was 60 billion. That means that at most only 1/3 of the bill would go to actual sandy caused damages (that's assuming most people didn't have some sort of insurance on their homes).

Source(s):

http://www.examiner.com/article/boehner-�

But then the Katrina relief bill was also loaded with pork.

o

The bill is HR 152. Here is the most recent I could find:

http://democrats.rules.house.gov/113/text/113_hr152_txt.pdf

This is a list of ammendments representatives would like to see:

http://democrats.rules.house.gov/amendment_details.aspx?NewsID=5436

o

I should have known that Republicans view mitigation against future climate disasters to be 'pork'.

Because rapid and catastrophic climate change is a liberal plot by Al Gore and greedy scientists on the gvt teet. Isn't happening.

o

Snoopy at yer service.

Bill H.R.1

Amendments here

o

Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 18:53

Okay that is the one that I posted in this (?) or an earlier thread ... which means other than the folks in Alaska and the dead in the national cemetery (vets) this is predominantly Sandy Relief Aid?

Ooops headstart ... "oink oink"

Definitely oppose buying cars for the feds :)

o

The alleged 'pork' is nothing but faux outrage in order to mask the real reason for blocking the help.

o

Thank you! We got buses rolling into DC tomorrow and true the pork excuse is a red herring. the guvs original request was 80 billion.

Flood mitigation is da word round here.

o

During one of Christy's addresses to the congress he said the Senate Bill that had the pork was removed in the House before the vote. What the House was voting on was minus the pork.

o

Well our new member obviously know better right outside of ALBANY really?

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 18:35

"To give you a good idea of how much was wasted...the estimated damage from Sandy was 20 billion...the original bill proposed was 60 billion. That means that at most only 1/3 of the bill would go to actual sandy caused damages (that's assuming most people didn't have some sort of insurance on their homes)...But then the Katrina relief bill was also loaded with pork."

Mrs., I'll bet you don't like the pork in either bill. Why, I'll bet you didn't vote for either bill. Me neither. Yeesh, who are they yelling at?

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 19:25

"The alleged 'pork' is nothing but faux outrage in order to mask the real reason for blocking the help."

The real reason? What in the world?

o

play your games guys!

o

labrea,
Well our new member obviously know better right outside of ALBANY really?

Well if the new member goggle Christy Said Pork Removed In The House - Video Results They can watch the full video of his dressing down the congress for not voting on the House bill that was stripped of most of the pork. Not all the pork that is being said was in the Senate Bill.

The majority of nonhurricane-related funding, which amounted to about 1 percent of the total bill, has been removed, according to Christie.

The governor was not the only one railing at the speaker's decision. Representatives from throughout the region, on both sides of the aisle, also expressed anger and frustration at the canceled vote.

o

Disgusting crew on here! Come from states that could teach master classes in panhandling for Federal dollars!

o

Disgusting crew on here!

Yes and when the hurricane hits them this summer they will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them.

o

"Yes and when the hurricane hits them this summer they will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them."

Viscious and hateful, blech.

o

Walk A Mile call to action/ Long Island NY Photobucket

Hours before Sandy came to shore and high tide...before the sub station blew up and the lights sent out. Water would go higher than fence.
Photobucket

Lifes gutted
Photobucket

o

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 0:38

"Yes and when the hurricane hits them this summer they will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them."

Viscious and hateful, blech.

Yea, I don't know what's going on--one would think with Obama leading us to the Promised Land for eight years that there would be joy and gloating, but pretty much all I see are hateful comments, fight picking, misrepresentation, outright lies about conservatives, and resentment.

Maybe Ben Gay would help.

Who knows?

Who cares?

o

Disgusting crew on here!

Yes and when the hurricane hits them this summer they will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them.

Yes, and even doing so before the storm actually hits, demanding that Washington waive their 25% share (by law) of the bill and cover any and all costs.

o

You would suppose that we would have learned a lesson from all the fraud and pork we paid for after Katrina and other disasters. Just when do you propose to eliminate pork? Or do you really think it doesn't matter?

The house voted for a pork stripped 9.7 billion bill to fund FEMA for Sandy emergency relief with an additional bill to be voted on Jan. 15. 85% of the original bill had nothing to do with Sandy storm damage and it sure didn't all come from Republicans.

o

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 1:31

Disgusting crew on here!

Yes, and even doing so before the storm actually hits, demanding that Washington waive their 25% share (by law) of the bill and cover any and all costs.

Really?

Maddie, exactly which members of the "disgusting crew on here" "will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them" and exactly which members of the "disgusting crew on here" will be "doing so before the storm actually hits, demanding that Washington waives the 25% of the bill and cover any and all costs.

Exactly who, Maddie, will take these actions, and how can you predict the future?

Oh wait, there will be no answer!

It's a tired old schtick--flameballs and pulsillanimity.

I don't think it pays much. ;)

o

Exactly who, Maddie, will take these actions, and how can you predict the future?

Exactly who???? No need to predict....August 2012 your Leader....Louisiana Governor. NOTICE THREAT.. of tropical storm and soon-to-be hurricane Isaac.

Gov. Piyush Jindal has done it again.

Just when you think he can't get any more arrogant, he responds by flexing his string bean Barney Fife-like muscles at President Obama over you guessed it federal funds.

It all started with an Aug. 26 request from Jindal to Obama for reimbursement "for all emergency protective measures" against the threat of tropical storm and soon-to-be hurricane Isaac.

What the state got instead

Here is a link that might be useful: JINDAL REQUEST FUNDS FOR THREAT OF HURRICANE

o

What an arrogant bunch, "Disgusting crew?" Disgusting person is more like it. For your info, repairs on my home from Isaac have finally been completed. Not one dime of government money. Which doesn't mean that I don't think that people in the northeast don't need it. I've already stated that I hope they get everything they need to make them whole again. I'm happy to see my taxpayer dollars go to them. I hated the pork in the Katrina bill, I hate the pork in this one. I would prefer to see every dime go to Sandy relief and see all the extraneous items stand or fall on their own merits.

o

As one who has received federal government assistance after a weather related disaster, I hope that people in the northeast do not receive what they need to make them whole. That is NOT the way federal assistance works or is designed to work. I absolutely do hope the bill for aid passes and all affected people get back to being functional and safe. However, I hope the bill does what it's designed to do and that is very different from being made whole.

o

It seems you all would like to ignore........ Not one of you mentioned Pork in previous Disaster relief bills did you? If you have please show us where you thought the Congress should deny funds until the Pork was removed.

It is very convenient to say you did not like it when Pork was done before. The issue is you did not speak up then why NOW!!!! Did you see any Liberals posting how we wanted the pork out before relief was sent? That is where the "disgusting crew" relates to some people.

No one wishes that any city or state suffer another weather event. But with weather changes as they are now will most certainly become more frequent and more disastrous. Because of this Katrinia and Sandy will look weak compared to future weather events. It would be wise to think the precedent that is being set. If Pork is bad and help does not happen it will be you next.

As for "Not one dime of government money". That is not true. There would not be any Flood Insurance if it was not backed by government money. Insurance Companies will not touch any flood zone areas without our tax dollars. Your insurance is our tax dollars.

All I can say is be careful what you wish for you just may get it. Wish that no pork is in the bills and you do not get enough votes from your lovely Congressmen to vote for relief and you will not get the help you need.

o

Sorry you had that trouble K!
I think we went through your hurricane pain already & a welcome back and all that once or twice before it doesn't expunge my original complaint. I find the so called humor passive aggressive & part of a long line of regionalism battles & confederacy tiffs that have been fought out on here over the years. So there no backing down from that & I find the pork a red herring! I find it disgusting that It's January & guess who are playing games around this aid.

o

I am not sure what you mean by "Why are we different?"

Some people might feel that there is a difference between a summer home and the ONLY home. That could be one problem with the taxpayer helping.

I don't know how it is everywhere, but here, we buy insurance that is supposed to pay in case of massive destruction like this. Do people in NY and NJ buy storm insurance like the ones on the southern coasts? And does Insurance pay like they say they will? I have often wondered if it's worth the price.

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 2:24

Exactly who???? No need to predict....August 2012 your Leader....Louisiana Governor. NOTICE THREAT.. of tropical storm and soon-to-be hurricane Isaac.

Pay attention, marquest. Your response was unresponsive.
Jindal has nothing to do with this question.

Maddie's post:

Disgusting crew on here!

'Yes and when the hurricane hits them this summer they will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them.

Yes, and even doing so before the storm actually hits, demanding that Washington waive their 25% share (by law) of the bill and cover any and all costs."

My question was specifically to MADDIE, marquest, as to who of the "disgusting crew on here" would take those actions she outlined.

I still don't have an answer.

Surprise, surprise.

As I said, flame throwing and pulsillanimity.

I absolutely agree, people should not necessarily be "made whole." We all have a responsibility to carry homeowners insurance and if we don't, sure, funds should go to help people that did not or could not afford it (sticky area there) but having a new house and all new furnishings paid for by the taxpayers? No. Remember those FEMA trailers that were "uninhabitable?" Then we have people that years and years after Katrina wouldn't get out of government lodging, wouldn't try to do better. They were basically entitled squatters.

Things happen in life.
Some of our own doing, some out of our control.

It's not always someone else's responsibility to put your life back where you had it, or better than it was.

I do hope that reasonable hurricane relief assistance gets to everyone that needs it, it's been too long.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 10:41

"Exactly who, Maddie, will take these actions, and how can you predict the future?"

Your states are already taking more federal money than you contribute as a matter of course. It is what you do. There is no need to predict the future, your states are taking more federal dollars than they contribute right now.

New York and NJ are donor states. We subsidize your states every time the fed hits our paycheck. Why don't you guys balance your books? Just get back what you contribute? We will do the same. Actually we would never ask for that. All we want is some of the money we give your states on a regular basis because we are currently in crisis. Help your neighbor. The same neighbor that has helped you with little complaint. Seems fair.

o

Kwoods, you can't dig Maddie out.

I'm waiting for her to back up her mouth.

Of course it hasn't happened yet, but hope springs eternal.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 10:53

o

For the record, the italicized quotes include comments from three different people, only one of whom is Maddie.

Is Maddie being asked to explain the quotes from the other two? Why should that task fall to her?

o

Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 11:13

Maddie certainly does not need any help from me.

It is a shame and an embarrassment that this congress would use this tragedy to play politics. Anyone who supports their position should be ashamed of themselves. There is NO JUSTIFICATION for what I see happening to these people on Long Island with my own eyes. My friend in Long Beach had his home condemned and is still living with friends in Farmingdale... no relief. My friend in Baldwin Harbor lost his home and everything in it, insurance paid him $15,000.... $15,000?!... no relief.

These are real people who have had their lives destroyed. People who played by the rules and paid their taxes, fedral taxes that these same red states are subsidized with. WHAT is going on in this country when you can hang your neighbor out to dry like this? It is a shame. I wish every one of this idiots could come and see what I see happening here.

o

kwoods...are you saying that because we have a much higher population of blacks who are unemployed at a much higher rate than whites, and who need government assistance that you begrudge giving them a helping hand?

hmm I see from your handle you are from Long Island

From Wikpedia
Population figures from the U.S. Census Bureau Census 2010[4] show that whites are the largest racial group in all four counties, and are in the majority in Nassau and Suffolk counties. In 2002, The New York Times cited a study by the non-profit group ERASE Racism, which determined that Nassau and Suffolk counties are the most racially segregated suburbs in the United States.[28]

So maybe I do see where you are coming from.

o

Racism trumps charity every time.

o

Demi,

Maddie quoted my words. So you really were asking both of us a question.

Demi asked..........

What is your answer about requesting funds before the disaster. You asked the question I gave you an answer. There is no need to predict the future when it already happened less than 5 months ago.

Your state asked for funds before the hurricane hit. There was no uproar from you or any of the crew saying it was wrong. I started a topic on this Jindal request.

JINDAL REQUEST FUNDS FOR THREAT OF HURRICANE

What is your answer.

o

No black people that I know want charity marshall. They would much prefer to have jobs. But in the meantime, do you think benefits should be denied them because they live in a red state?

o

Marquest, I'm not asking you, I already know what you think.

I want to know exactly WHO is the "they" among the "disgusting crew here" who will be "at the trough...."

She went to the trouble to reference, "disgusting crew HERE"
--which is such an insult, marquest, but you seem to revel in personal insults.

Maddie went out of her way to take on your mantle of insults by repeating "disgusting crew here" and then referenced "they."

She hasn't identified who that is.

She has yet to back up her claims.

Par for the course.

Let's refresh your memory below--you can't dig Maddie out of this hole she has again dug for herself, marquest and neither can kwoods.

Disgusting crew on here!

'Yes and when the hurricane hits them this summer they will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars and screaming that we should feel sorry for them.

Yes, and even doing so before the storm actually hits, demanding that Washington waive their 25% share (by law) of the bill and cover any and all costs."

o

Reading comprehension. A virtue not everyone possesses.

o

You keep quoting my words and I have responded twice.

Yes you will be at the trough looking for our tax dollars. Asking for tax dollars before the Hurricane hits.

I have showed you that YES YOUR BOY JINDAL DID ASK FOR FUNDS BEFORE THE HURRICANE HIT.

If you seem to not understand you are quoting my words and asking Maddie to defend my words. You are part of the Crew that live in the Hurricane eye. You are the part of the Crew that ask for funds before the Hurricane Hit. You are part of the Crew that is at the trough...... Is that what you want to hear.

o

I'm not sure demi...but I think maddie and marquest have just designated us as "part of that disgusting crew", unless as I see maddie is trying to back out of that and leave marquest hanging.

o

The Congress's Republicans are legislative trolls. People will remember who exactly blocked the help.

My apologies to Kwoods & Maggie. And all other NJ and NY peoples that were hurt and are still hurting, for that matter. *Ignore mode* it is from now.

Now, back to the subject.

Any update on the phone campaign? Has it made any impact yet?

o

See marquest? maddie can dance faster than you lol.

o

Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 11:46

"Reading comprehension. A virtue not everyone possesses."

Is that the best you can do, Maddie?

--Writing clearly and succinctly.

--Possessing the moral courage to take responsibility for personal insults without resorting to the cowardly, nebulous references to "they."

--Possessing the character to not intentionally and wrongfully malign good people for one's own political purposes

Virtues not everyone possesses.

Thank God, most do.

o

Flame throwing and pulsillanimity.

On the menu most days.

By the way, for you, marquest to say that I am part of the crew that is at the trough, how do you distinguish that?

Because I live in a state where someone takes federal money?

Well, you live in a country where people take federal money.
So you're at the trough, too!

I haven't asked for any federal assistance.

I don't need it.
I'm personally responsible.

I don't feed at the trough, I fill it.

Which is more than almost half of the country does.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:32

o

So many throwing stones at Maddie when the quote in question was written by labrea. I hate to break up a sustained group rant, but some of you are looking rather silly right now.

Ask labrea what he meant; he'll be more than happy to give you an uncensored non-PC opinion.

o

Agnes, these are not summer homes and we are fully insured! All flood insurance goes through national flood! Private insurers are paying about 35 percent of claims see s to be the consensus! We have do e nothing wrong!

o

Now that it is clear that the Republicans will not authorize the balance of the relief funding without offsetting spending cuts you can rest assured this will be a long time getting settled.

The numbers of times I have seen Republicans hold their fellow Americans hostage just to meet their personal political ends is very disturbing.

o

Is that true Chase? I don't have access right now.

I know a 12 year old boy who went to Washington today who will be devastated. We all will be...it is a punch in the gut.

o

The numbers of times I have seen Republicans hold their fellow Americans hostage just to meet their personal political ends is very disturbing.

That about sums up the last 4 years, doesn't it?

One would think they would have learned that stategy didn't work after the last election, but one would need some intelligence to figure that out. Do they think this will be forgotten when the next disaster hits their state and they ask for relief? When (not if) that happens, I hope relief is passed quickly, but that the American people are reminded how differently the democrats and republicans in congress treat their fellow Americans.

o

Yes it is true Maggie....the pork is not the real reason for the hold up. It's the demand by Republicans that your relief be fully funded by offsetting spending cuts,. Additionally some are saying it should be curtailed as a way of making State governments more accountable.

Historically this has never been required but the Republicans are changing the rules in mid stream...yet again.

The notion that any relief be offset by spending cuts may, or may not, be valid but the time to change the process is NOT in the middle of a disaster.

Then again as I said on another thread......that would require responsible governing.

I first heard this on the CBC but I found this article in Bloomberg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy relief must be offset by spending cuts

o

No Maggie, the vote hasn't happened yet. It's supposed to be today.

o

Maggie asked if it was true that the Republicans were demanding the relief funds be tied to spending cuts......not whether the vote has happened yet.

Mrs do you have any insight into what the Republicans are demanding in return for relief funding?

o
Takers

Mrsk, Demi: Ironic that YOU are a beneficiary of the other states largess and you are complaining when others, who have historically helped and supported you, need help. You don't seem to have a problem continually taking others money to supplement yourselves. Perhaps its time for your state to stand on its own two feet and stop living off the rest of us and if you have to pay more state taxes then so be it. If not perhaps have more empathy and support them when they need it to help themselves.

No other state in the nation has been blessed with such generosity from Congress and the American people"," Mr. Rainwater said. Referring to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a principal conduit for the aid that has flowed here, he said that "Louisiana is FEMA's biggest "customer," so to speak, and the state's Office of Facility Planning and Control is the largest single public-assistance applicant in American history."

Louisiana gets more in federal aid than it gives in taxes

Despite dramatic reductions in federal funding since the large payouts in the first two years after Hurricane Katrina, Louisiana still gets more federal aid than its businesses and residents pay in federal taxes.

Another example of "do as they say not as they do".

o

I am going to ignore most foolery here and adress an issue that some (most?) of you dont seem to understand. Attaching small bills to large ones is a time honored way of saving time in congress-there isnt enough time in the Universe to vote each little bill on its own-your necessary piece of pork, aka someone else getting federal dollars for something, would never make it to the table without this normal part of the process. Congress people will then debate which of the bits are actually necessary spending(like the roof of the Smithsonian) and which are not(bridges to nowhere) there is always a certain amount of horse trading( I will back yours if you will back mine) and although often money is spent where it shouldn't be in the long run necessary needs get met-it is a messy process but it is the way things are done. Go ahead and get outraged over the squandering of money but please be aware that the process is valid and necessary.

o

epi, if you had bothered to read what I said. I'm all for making sure the northeast gets the relief that they need. I hate the pork that has been added to the bill, I hated the pork that was added to the Katrina relief bill as well. I wish it could be stripped out, but having said that, I don't want anything to keep people from the help they need. And just for your info, I have always been fully insured and have taken no federal funds for any of the hurricanes that I received damage from.

And I am so sorry that we have such a large poor and unemployed black population that need your help. Complain to your representatives. Maybe they will give you back the money that goes to help the 67% black population of New Orleans, many who were devastated by Katrina. Since Katrina the unemployment rate among blacks in New Orleans has been 20% higher than the national average. Such compassionate liberals. What a joke.

o

Just came onbord, so excuse the minor detour while I backtrack upthread a bit...this caught my eye:

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 2:24

"...Gov. Piyush Jindal has done it again.

Just when you think he can't get any more arrogant, he responds by flexing his string bean Barney Fife-like muscles at President Obama over you guessed it federal funds..."
-------------

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:04

"...I have showed you that YES YOUR BOY JINDAL DID ASK FOR FUNDS BEFORE THE HURRICANE HIT..."

----------------

Very offensive racist aspersions. I know everyone will agree, in that there was outrage when candidate Romney referred to his own sons as "his boys." We were told here on HT that this was offensive because the president, a person of color, was on the stage. I note that marquest has taken special care to bring attention to Jindal's ethnicity. Wonder why?

Little slip-up there? True colors? Mmmm hmmm.

o

mrskjun wrote,

kwoods...are you saying that because we have a much higher population of blacks who are unemployed at a much higher rate than whites, and who need government assistance that you begrudge giving them a helping hand?

I would say the opposite is true. Kwoods referred to the people of your states as "neighbors", and made no mention whatsoever as to the racial breakdown of the less-fortunate who are recipients of Federal aid.

You did that.

o

Just begrudging government assistance to those in need in general huh Factotem? Like I said, compassionate liberals.

o

mrskjun wrote,

Just begrudging government assistance to those in need in general huh Factotem? Like I said, compassionate liberals.

First, thanks for backing off your baseless assertion that kwoods was begrudging blacks in your state Federal aid, as no one -- except you -- mentioned anything about the race of those recipients.

Next, could you please provide the quote from kwoods where he/she indicates he/she "begrudges" government assistance to those in need? Absent your producing such a statement, it will be exposed as a straw man argument.

Thank you.

o

LA grants many tax concessions to the oil and chemical industries. Why aren't the state and local governments demanding that those industries pay their fair share of local and state taxes?

Perhaps LA should consider a few more personal income tax brackets higher than the current 6% for reported income over $100,000 (married filing jointly). A review of corporate tax rates might be in order as well.

o

nancy, if you want to look into it...Louisiana pays more in oil royalties than any other Gulf state to the federal government...billions a year. We'd be happy to keep that money.

o

"Your states are already taking more federal money than you contribute as a matter of course. It is what you do. There is no need to predict the future, your states are taking more federal dollars than they contribute right now.

New York and NJ are donor states. We subsidize your states every time the fed hits our paycheck."

Oh yeah Facto....that's begrudging. lol

I subsidize my state too...and don't begrudge pitching in a little more for the northeast, at all.

o

mrskjun wrote,

if you want to look into it...Louisiana pays more in oil royalties than any other Gulf state to the federal government...billions a year.

What is your source for your claim that Louisiana pays "billions a year" in oil royalties? By my calculations, that's a wild exaggeration.

o

Louisiana pays more in oil royalties than any other Gulf state to the federal government...

Your state is treated no differently than any other state regarding oil royalties. I doubt that the state is paying anything to the federal government for royalties; LA is sharing the royalties on oil extracted from federal lands off its coast. And Louisiana claims all its share of revenue per law.

1. For the first 3 miles out from the shoreline, Louisiana -- like other states -- gets to keep 100 percent of any royalties produced by oil and gas drilling. In the most recent year available, 2008, this amounted to $275 million.

2. Between 3 and 6 miles from the shoreline -- a federally owned band formally known as the 8(g) area -- the federal government sends 27 percent of the royalties to Louisiana. The reasoning is that federal drilling in this area sucks out some of the oil from deposits that span the 3-mile dividing line between state and federal ownership, so these payments are meant to compensate for the lost revenue to states. In 2009, they totaled $22 million and they're estimated to be $32 million this year.

3. Beyond 6 miles from the shoreline is considered federal territory. For new drilling projects, states get a 37.5 percent share directly to their treasuries and an additional 12.5 percent for state land and water conservation fund projects. The 37.5 percent figure alone amounted to $6.3 million for Louisiana's treasury in 2009, with additional estimated amounts of $558,000 in 2010 and $476,000 in 2011. Existing drilling projects do not currently provide royalties to the states -- a sore point for Louisianans...

And some bonus money that's an indirect result of oil and gas operations off its shores: Louisiana gets a share of the Coastal Impact Assistance Program, a federal program funded by a one-time appropriation of $1 billion distributed between from 2007 to 2010. This money is dispersed to Gulf Coast states, except for Florida, in an amount roughly proportional to the amount of offshore production in federal waters off their shores. Through this program, Louisiana has taken in a share of the $1 billion appropriation.

The grand total that Louisiana receives in a typical year is difficult to compute because of big variations in oil prices and other factors, but we feel safe in saying it's in the tens of millions of dollars every year, and depending on how you slice the numbers, possibly hundreds of millions of dollars.

o

By my calculations, that's a wild exaggeration.

Probably by most people's calculations, I would say.

o

241 yahs and 180 nays

Thank you to those that helped!

o

I said billions...you should do a little more research.

o

Facto: "First, thanks for backing off your baseless assertion that kwoods was begrudging blacks in your state Federal aid, as no one -- except you -- mentioned anything about the race of those recipients."

"No one mentioned anything..."

Doesn't mean no one noticed it.

--------------------

o

So glad Maggie. I was certain it would pass.

o

mrskjun wrote,

I said billions...you should do a little more research.

As I said, this claim appears to be a wild exaggeration by you.

What is your source?

o

mrskjun wrote,

"No one mentioned anything..."

Doesn't mean no one noticed it.

Ah. So you admit you read something that no one wrote. Thank you.

o

Maggie, it must have been my threatening call to Boehner..Yeah,that's the ticket...lol

o

Good news Maggie!

Mrsk, personally, I don't care if you did or didn't need/take assistance for Katrina. Apparently you were lucky enough to not need it. Others aren't so fortunate and they include tax payers and people with insurance and in this case, people who have helped your state many times over, over the years and still do. Personally I am happy to help out anyone that needs it especially in a disaster just like I did when you were affected. Whether you needed it or not is beside the point and really has no bearing on this discussion.

Unlike some I don't change my rules when it comes to helping people based on politics or the color of their skin. I certainly don't want my money "back". What a ridiculous statement. But honestly, after reading your posts I would prefer to see it stay here, to those that need it and not to those who think they are entitled to it.

And I am so sorry that we have such a large poor and unemployed black population that need your help.

In reality people of every color utilize assistance. Why you continue to use blacks as your scapegoat is beyond me and says more about you than anything else.

Since Katrina the unemployment rate among blacks in New Orleans has been 20% higher than the national average.

As far as I see this is just another of your wild exaggerations. The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't back up your claim.

o

Just saw the vote Maggie. Good News. Keep us posted how things are going. We know this is only the first step. We are going to continue to call because they will drag there feet releasing the funds.

o

Yes, what Marquest said!

Joe, my sister's house flooded in a hurricane, 4ft water mark is pretty bad- she does realize that with water that high, all the existing drywall and more than likely the flooring and baseboards will have to be replaced along with the priming and painting, new doors etc. Very expensive, time consuming work unfortunately. If she has any doubts about her insurance co ( who behave DISGRACEFULLY and IMMORALLY after terrible disasters,) she should first hire a good contractor and plumber/ electrical guy to access damage and make some written estimates of damage and costs to make whole.

This is one aid to help keep insurance guys on track.

o

I'm very happy to see that the House approved the aid.

you should do a little more research.

I don't need to -- LA has no legitimate claim to royalties paid on oil produced in federal waters. The federal government does allow a percentage of the royalties to flow back to the states, but the oil is extracted from offshore wells in its jurisdiction. No amount of hand flapping can change the geographic location of the extraction.

o

Did you make him cry, Lily? Lol

Happy and want to stay positive but truly shameful how this went down.

Now the insurance money can flow and we can move forward. As far as JMs comment about being whole, yes every agency and organization, public or private...for profit or not plays a role in a disaster and it has been an education. As far as FEMA goes, you max out at 31k so no if you don't have insurance they are not rebuilding for you. The feds do offer SBA loans at very low rates that can also be a bridge when waiting for insurance. flood insurance is through private insurers but is still national flood program so the aid flos there. We have not gotten any insurance money yet but did receive FEMA displacement funds. Then there is infrastructure, etc. my town lost everything. Just a note my area was developed in the 50s and has never had a sea water flood. All our utilities are now raised on blocks. LG frontloader pedistals are now considered flood mitigation items lol If you has more than 50 percent damage to your home, you must go through ICc process to raise your home with front door at 14 feet above sea level. It makes sense. FYI FEMA rezoned our area about 6 years ago. They know more than we know no doubt.

We are back home but far from normal. Far far from normal. So many sad stories and everything dirty and dead. One so an I know insurance had lapsed and they lost it all...she has cancer. So much shoddy work and gauging and insurance and mortgage holders making people's lives hell. How would you like to have to get 3 estimates for every job, submit to your bank with a fee to have them do,e out your insurance money? Not my situation but I know of many. My friend and elderly neighbor just gone...don't know where. Houses closed up with not a thing taken out. The mold oh the mold soo many sick. Kids temp school still operating on generator. Traffic is he'll, scavengers out I. Orcs but they see e their purpose too I suppose. Drove to 4 pharmacies to get needed mess today...things just are t flowing here.

So many worse Things in the world, but understand we just want help like everyone else so we can contribute once again to our society.

o

((Maggie))

Hoping that the road ahead is free of obstacles so you, your neigbors and all who are suffering can get back to some normalcy soon.

o

Thank you:) waiting on the bus to come back from Washington. The sat in the gallery until the vote was taken. One special kid is going to have a Heros welcome here! Amazing how far this action today goes towards boosting morale.

o

Maggie, I come from a state plagued by terrible, destroying, killing hurricanes - I understand and please know know that my deepest, best wishes are with you. What a remarkable, strong, charitable woman you are.

I will continue to call and bug them.

o

Glad this is done! Maggie I wish you well!

o

You know , Maggie, there is not one day goes by that all of you aren't in my thoughts. Since the mainstream media has moved on , we don't get many visuals of what's happening and how work is progressing. It sounds like a very bad nightmare...all the bureaucracy to deal with and the cold weather. This was such a life changing event for so very many people. Shame on anyone who would take advantage of the situation. There should be laws against price gauging.

o

that's gouging, not gauging..

o

Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 6:40

"FEMA rezoned our area about 6 years ago"

Interesting, so climate change is acknowledged "behind closed doors" but not for public consumption.

I have never lived through one of these natural disasters and as Lily said we do not get the visuals of devastated areas, because the media moves on to the next story.

Sending love your way...

o

mrskjun wrote,

if you want to look into it...Louisiana pays more in oil royalties than any other Gulf state to the federal government...billions a year.

mrskjun, we are still waiting for you to supply the source for your claim that Louisiana pays "billions a year" in oil royalties.

"Your states are already taking more federal money than you contribute as a matter of course. It is what you do. There is no need to predict the future, your states are taking more federal dollars than they contribute right now.
New York and NJ are donor states. We subsidize your states every time the fed hits our paycheck."

Oh yeah Facto....that's begrudging. lol

Perhaps the source of your confusion is that you think "begrudging" means "stating a fact". It does not. All that was being said here was a factual assertion in support of the reasoning that reciprocity was appropriate.

To illustrate, this is what a statement that was begrudging might look like:

"We subsidize your states every time the fed hits our paycheck, and in my opinion that's unfair to us and I don't like doing it at all."

See the difference?

If, however, you believe that mere facts themselves, without attendant opinions, can represent a grudge, you will be leading yourself to engage in all sorts of groundless paranoid fantasies.

Don't forget to post your source for your claim about the billions in oil royalties. I hope you don't want to be known as someone who fabricates supposed facts in support of your positions.

o

Jeez Facto, I forgot that conservatives are held to a different standard here. I do notice that you didn't ask anyone else to post a source. So I'll just copy and paste like they did ok?

Consider this: Western energy-producing states today receive more than 20 times what Louisiana does from federal mineral royalties for onshore mineral extraction. Louisiana has a very valuable coast (also referred to as a "working coast"), and while the Minerals Management Service has collected about $6 billion annually in oil and gas revenues from federal offshore leases in current years, about $3 billion came from offshore Louisiana.

It is what it is.

o

mrskjun wrote,

Jeez Facto, I forgot that conservatives are held to a different standard here. I do notice that you didn't ask anyone else to post a source. So I'll just copy and paste like they did ok?

No one else made a claim that was wrong by a factor of a least ten, as far as I know. Please point out the claim from a non-conservative in this thread that you believe is factually incorrect and that is unsourced. Otherwise, you have reached a baseless conclusion.

You still have not identified your source. Please provide the source.

Consider this: Western energy-producing states today receive more than 20 times what Louisiana does from federal mineral royalties for onshore mineral extraction. Louisiana has a very valuable coast (also referred to as a "working coast"), and while the Minerals Management Service has collected about $6 billion annually in oil and gas revenues from federal offshore leases in current years, about $3 billion came from offshore Louisiana.

It is what it is.

You might want to actually read the unsourced quote you pasted in here; it would have saved you considerable embarrasment. You said that Louisiana pays billions in oil royalties. The figure in the quote you provide clearly states it refers to oil extracted "from Federal offshore leases." By definition, those revenues do not come from Louisiana at all, whose territory for purposes of oil field ownership extends three (Admiralty) nautical miles off shore.

The actual amount of oil royalties received by the federal govermnent from Louisiana, both onshore and offshore, is $90,177,180.73, according to the Office of Natural Resources Revenue fiscal year 2012 figures.

I look forward to your retraction.

o

Facto, do brush up on your physical geography. If I were a Louisianan, I would argue that the seaward boundaries of my State have been in great flux over the past centuries. The 3-mile limit is therefore very imprecise. Moreover, the bulk of oil extracted from Federal leases is piped onshore (ie. Louisiana) for processing or transshipping. I consider the issue of the amount of royalties generated moot. Louisiana remains the heartland of fossil fuel sourcing and servicing.

o

To bad factoman. If it wasn't for Louisiana that 3 billion dollars would not be going into the federal coffers. The workers on those rigs, the crew boats and helicopters that get those workers back and forth, the pipe yards that supply the drilling pipe, the mud companies, the food services, the barges, the tugboats...all based in Louisiana. 25% of all oil consumed in the US comes out of the Gulf. It doesn't miraculously appear in Ohio.

No embarrassment here.

o

A Claim, Pasted from a 2006 Article.

An unsourced claim, of course.

o

Why don't you use nancy's source maddie? Didn't Facto? I know how important sources are to you! bwahahahahaha

o

Good news, Maggie!

I'm with Marquest though...now watch them stall releasing.

180 Nays. They have no shame.

o

MsK, I'm glad that you read my comments so you know that although those oil royalties are not from LA waters, the federal allows your state a share.

If all those workers on the offshore wells are coming from LA, that's plenty of opportunity for the state to collect income taxes from the workers. So why the need for LA to be a "taker" state?

o

The bill passed because of the Democratic Party.
49 Republican
192 Democratic

Only one Democratic Representative opposed. Another reason I am proud to be a registered Democrat, another one of those bleeding heart Liburels.

The bill is now in the Senate. Then it goes to President Obama for Signature. We need to continue to watch it is not over until the President gets the Bill for signature.

o

Perhaps you didn't read my response to epi nancy.

And I am so sorry that we have such a large poor and unemployed black population that need your help. Complain to your representatives. Maybe they will give you back the money that goes to help the 67% black population of New Orleans, many who were devastated by Katrina. Since Katrina the unemployment rate among blacks in New Orleans has been 20% higher than the national average. Such compassionate liberals. What a joke

btw...of all the Gulf states, Louisiana gets back the smallest share of royalties even though it pays the most.

o

Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 10:45

"So why the need for LA to be a "taker" state?"

I believe Mrs K already explained that by scapegoating "blacks".
Please do keep posting Mrs K.

o

scapegoating kwoods? I thought that was what you were doing. You are the one complaining about having your tax dollars being spent on those in need. Did you even bother to wonder why?

The nation�s unemployment rate is now 7.9 percent, and there is an unquestionable recovery taking place. Lost in the positive news, though, is that the unemployment rate for African-Americans rose nearly a full point to 14.3 percent, up from 13.4 percent in September.

The unemployment rate among blacks in New Orleans since Katrina is 20% higher than the national average. And you want to call them scapegoats. I forgot...democrats just need their votes, then forget it.

o

And I am so sorry that we have such a large poor and unemployed black population that need your help. Complain to your representatives.

I take this as a sad racist opinion not supported with facts but a personal feeling toward your neighbors.

o

Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 11:09

We can all read Mrs K.

Try to twist and misrepresent in any way you wish, the hole you've dug only gets deeper.

My posts are right there for others to see, read and comprehend as are yours.

Do keep posting.

o

The unemployment rate among blacks in New Orleans since Katrina is 20% higher than the national average. And you want to call them scapegoats. I forgot...democrats just need their votes, then forget it.

Yep.

I saw this week an article where Headstart, which was supposed to help so many, is basically a failure. Google it--lots of articles from different sources.

That's your liberal help--get the votes, make poor and uneducated dependent on you by telling them they need you for programs like Headstart, pour millions and millions of taxpayer money into it, allow fraud and graft and incompetence, don't address the real problem--which is for the most part lack of good parental role models and parental involvement, and you have--way more people dependent on the government.

You have children that get breakfast at school and can't read. Start that cycle of dependency early--it's not mama and daddy's job to make breakfast--it's the government's.
SO what if they fail at teaching you to read and write and add and subtract? If you can't get a job when you grow up you can keep getting breakfast, lunch and dinner.

At least you'll know the names of the Sesame Street characters.

That Elmo just L O V E S little children.

Note that Mrskjun and I have not taken any federal assistance from weather related damage.

You people that single out Louisiana for having more "takers?"

YOU are the ones that created them.
The Democrat party.
And you need them to keep voting for you because they never GET IT. They never get that the Democrat party has for half a century convinced them that they'll give them more "stuff" and everything will be fine.

It's only created a cycle of dependency.

You get more of what you subsidize.

So send your money to those people and that failed Headstart program to help the people the Democrat Party depends on for votes and to use as props in campaign ads about people they are "helping."

Mrskjun and I will make do on our own just fine.
We always have.
If there comes a time when we don't, we'll help one another.

o

Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 11:28

Simple solution Demi..... give back all the federal money. Refuse to take any more federal money than your state produces in tax revenue. Until you do that you are a "taker" state. That is just a fact, blame/scapegoat whomever you wish. You should be more responsible and make better choices.

"You are the one complaining about having your tax dollars being spent on those in need."

Ironic, I'm actually advocating that my federal tax dollars be allocated to those in need in my own state, those who continue to suffer from the effects of Sandy. That would be easier to do if we didn't have to subsidize "taker" states such as yours.

(stings doesn't it? to be caught in such hypocrisy with all the talk about "choices" and "responsibility" and then to be called a "taker" in the same way that you do to individuals? It is what it is, your state produces less federal revenue than it spends and is subsidized by donor states... that is a fact. Maybe better choices should be made by your state and the employment rate would go up.... whatever the reason, take some responsibility for it and I'm sure things will get better for you.)

o

Well if winning Black votes is the reason then the Dems are wasting their money in LA.....

Facts are the States with the largest ratios of blacks vote overwhelmingly Republican. Although not particular to LA , it has also been found that the uneducated and poor, regardless of race, are unlikely to vote at all.

o

Not so simple, kwoods--if I had my way there wouldn't BE SO MUCH FEDERAL MONEY to pass around to Louisiana, New York, Illinois, California, or any other state.

Unfortunately, I have to pay federal taxes and state taxes.

Success, work, good decisions like saving and not blowing all your money, living below your means, means you have to take care of the people that do not make those sacrifices (and yes, I will again say, I am HAPPY to take care of those that can't take care of themselves, their caretakers, and those temporarily down on their luck).

But the others--nope.

I have no power other than letting my representatives and governor know how I feel.

It doesn't seem to make much difference.

They appear to vote their political aspirations and pocketbooks every time.

o

Except that the lion share of these Blue-State-Aid-Tax-Dollars never ever reaches Louisiana's Poor. What I want to know is in whose coffers does it end up?

o

Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 11:41

Way to take responsibility Demi.

o

Demi, how many people do you know who have enough money saved to rebuild when entire homes are wiped out? You're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars that are not needed for college, retirement, etc. Even if insurance covers part of the bill, you can bet there will still be a large outstanding balance that is not covered. My goodness, you certainly appear to be a harsh person. Why do you always assume the majority of people are deadbeats?

o

Why don't you check into that maddie, and let us know.

o

marshallz10 wrote,

Facto, do brush up on your physical geography. If I were a Louisianan, I would argue that the seaward boundaries of my State have been in great flux over the past centuries. The 3-mile limit is therefore very imprecise. Moreover, the bulk of oil extracted from Federal leases is piped onshore (ie. Louisiana) for processing or transshipping. I consider the issue of the amount of royalties generated moot. Louisiana remains the heartland of fossil fuel sourcing and servicing.

Both your points are irrelevant. The precision, or lack thereof, of the 3-mile boundary is of no consequence; each lease is designated as belonging to an entity, and the revenues are attributed accordingly, and the undisputed fact is that the amount of oil royalties from Louisiana leases sent to the Federal Government is $90,177,180.73, according to the Office of Natural Resources Revenue fiscal year 2012 figures.

Where the oil goes, and where the heartland is, have nothing to do with the truth of mrskjun's claim that the state of Louisiana pays "billions a year" in oil royalties to the Federal coffers. That statement is provably, objectively false. You may consider her erroneous claim moot, but it is nonetheless erroneous.

o

mrskjun wrote,

To bad factoman. If it wasn't for Louisiana that 3 billion dollars would not be going into the federal coffers. The workers on those rigs, the crew boats and helicopters that get those workers back and forth, the pipe yards that supply the drilling pipe, the mud companies, the food services, the barges, the tugboats...all based in Louisiana.

Perhaps all that is true. It is also irrelevant to the truth of your claim. Here it is again, to refresh your memory, as you seem to be attempting some sort of clumsy evasion:

"Louisiana pays more in oil royalties than any other Gulf state to the federal government...billions a year."

Louisiana paid $90,177,180.73 to the federal government last year in oil royalties. Your statement is false.

I gather you won't have the integrity to simply admit you were wrong on a factual matter. One could reasonably infer that you therefore cannot be relied upon to provide accurate information, or to correct inaccurate information you provide. Knowing this, readers can judge your posts accordingly.

o

Facto...we all know MRS very well and know what to expect in terms of a response...or rather non response... but if I may say your tone is very, very annoying.

o

demifloyd wrote,

I saw this week an article where Headstart, which was supposed to help so many, is basically a failure. Google it--lots of articles from different sources.

Where did you see the article? I don't see a study (as opposed to some opinion piece) that classifies Head Start as a failure. The recent report from the Department of Health and Human Services only examined short-term benefits of Head Start participants as compared to kids who attended private pre-schools or had a caretaker available at home (options which, of course, many poor families do not have), and it found several positive impacts in academic and social areas. A long-term study that tracked thousands of Head Start participants into adulthood (Garces, Thomas, and Currie) found,

"Adults who had attended Head Start were significantly more likely to complete high school, attend college, and possibly have higher earnings in their early twenties than their nonparticipant siblings. African American adults who had attended Head Start were significantly less likely to be booked or charged for a crime than were their nonparticipant siblings. Head Start may increase the likelihood that African American males graduate from high school. In addition, the authors noted larger effects for younger siblings who attended Head Start after an older sibling." [Wikipedia summary]

You wrote,

You have children that get breakfast at school and can't read.

Are you saying that you believe breakfast leads to illiteracy? Or, conversely, that hunger leads to literacy? A clarification would be helpful here.

The Democrat party.

In most cases I don't bother to correct spelling and such, but I can see from your posts that you value quality in your writing, so I expect you will appreciate my pointing out that the correct term is the "Democratic" party. It's not a big deal, as this is a very common error, but I thought you'd like to know.

You get more of what you subsidize.

We do agree in some respects. For example, if the government subsidizes contraception, we get more use of contraception, and thus fewer unwanted pregnancies. And if the government subsidizes college educations, we get more college-educated citizens. All good things.

Mrskjun and I will make do on our own just fine.
We always have.
If there comes a time when we don't, we'll help one another.

Just to be clear, you are saying that you will refuse government assistance after a disaster, correct?

This post was edited by Factotem on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 14:34

o

I stand by my posts Facto. And for your info, I was wiped out by Betsy, lost my home and all of my belongings to Camille, and had extensive damage from Isaac. I did not receive any government assistance for any of those disasters. But there were many who did need help, just as there are many in the northeast who now need help, and I'm happy to see my tax dollars go to give them that help. Sorry if you don't feel the same way.

o

mrskjun wrote,

I stand by my posts Facto.

So you stand by your provably false claim that the state of Louisiana pays the federal government billions of dollars in oil royalties per year when the true figure is less than $100,000,000. At least that's out in the open now.

Do you generally believe it's honest to make false assertions because they would support your position if they were true?

o

chase wrote,

if I may say your tone is very, very annoying.

Sure. I don't spend much time on niceties when I'm trying to drill down to the heart of the matter. But I appreciate the feedback.

o

Trouble is Factotem human nature is such that people, even those who may agree in principal with you, tend to totally discount what you have to say when it is said in a way that most people would consider incredibly abrasive and condescending.

Your tone will get you nowhere.......except maybe ignored.

o

Factotem is a the sort of person that thinks he knows the names of posters here and goes to the trouble to try to look up personal information about them to try and catch them in a lie and for other nefarious purposes, perhaps.

Factotem did that with me a week or so ago when he had the nerve to post that my "name" did not show up on the records for having donated money to Scott Walker.

To my knowledge there has only only been one other person that low, except lower.

That and an arrogant and intentionally argumentative attitude means I'm using Chase's SOB method. (Scroll On By).

o

chase wrote,

Trouble is Factotem human nature is such that people, even those who may agree in principal with you, tend to totally discount what you have to say when it is said in a way that most people would consider incredibly abrasive and condescending.
Your tone will get you nowhere.......except maybe ignored.

I'm OK with that. I don't have a need to appeal to those who agree with my positions, and it's becoming clear there is little hope of swaying most folks on the other side of issues (though I did have a productive exchange with Bill Vincent). My main interest is in exploring the basis and reasoning of those with whom I disagree to discern if there is something of value in there from which I can learn, or if not, what the mindset is that leads someone to defend an unsupportable position. I find that interesting; undertanding that mechanism helps me assess wider issues.

o

Perhaps I've spent too much time around attorneys, graduate students, and argumentative in-laws, but "abrasive and condescending" isn't the vibe I pick up. Something closer to a recitation of facts.

If any of us start throwing out assertions, particularly on the are-you-kidding-me edge of believable, we should be prepared to defend our stance with something other than "because I say so."

o

What I want to know is in whose coffers does it end up?

It goes to those who scream "I have not ask for a dime from the Federal funded Flood Insurance that I have" The levies built to hold back the flooding waters. The Levies that protect them so they can live in the state. The lower cost of living which makes the tax dollars sent to the government less because salaries are lower. But they do not take any government money they did it all by their personal responsibility and great choices.

They do not need those streets that the government sent them money to clean up so they can take their personal responsibility selves shopping. They do not need the Coast Guards that the government supply them from the government coffers. No they are all personally responsible.

They do not take or need a dime of government funds. If only those black people had personal responsibility the world would be a beautiful white America.

Personal responsibility is a personal perception thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here