Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obamacare Dictate: Bishops Respond

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 9:55

According to the article linked below, Catholics in almost every pew this past Sunday heard a version of a letter issued by Catholic Bishops regarding Obamacare demands. The Bishops say that Obamacare forces Catholic institutions to provide employees with medical services that conflict with Catholic teachings.

The article says that demanding Catholic institutions provide abortion and related services "would be like the government mandating that all delis, even Kosher delis, serve pork products and then justifying it by saying that protein is healthy, and many Jews who don't follow Kosher laws and many non-Jews go to those delis. The law wouldn't technically ban Jews from owning delis, but it would effectively ban their ability to run them according to their conscience."

While I disagree with many pronouncements from the Catholic Bishops, I do agree with them on this one. The administration must have known it would have a fight on its hands. It appears it is going to get a huge one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Businessinsider

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obamacare Dictate: Bishops Respond

How do you think that Catholics will respond to this? Isn't there a statistic out there that 98% of Catholics practice some form of birth control despite what the Church teaches?

If that is true, doesn't this really matter to them? It would seem likely instead that they would even support the requirement by HHS.

o

It would seem likely instead that they would even support the requirement by HHS.

I agree.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 10:12

"While I disagree with many pronouncements from the Catholic Bishops, I do agree with them on this one"

After the last thread accusing Catholics of being misinformed and cannibals .. I hope you don't mind that I had to giggle when I read this.

Is it just human nature to agree only when our own views are upheld ??

Would be nice if we the people could actually "discuss" viewpoints instead of mocking each other.

Maybe I just need a break from HT

Peace

o

Is a dietary law a matter of conscience? If not the bishops analogy doesn't work.

o

After the last thread accusing Catholics of being misinformed and cannibals .. I hope you don't mind that I had to giggle when I read this.

Is it just human nature to agree only when our own views are upheld ??

Ohiomom,

I don't think it was the OP who made those statements about Catholics in the other thread, it was a different poster.

Although she might have agreed or supported that person, I admit I'm not sure about that. I don't think I returned to that thread.

o

Why should Catholic institutions dictate medical care based on religion, rather than science and best care procedures? Do they receive any funding from the form of government for it?
When you are ill, would you prefer to receive treatment from a priest or a doctor?
Why is the Catholic Church mixing in American politics?

o
On one issue

Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 10:29

HG didn't say the OP did, just thought it was ironic that the Catholics got slammed in that thread, but in this thread I "predict" support for the Catholic church on this stance.

Shrug

o

Evidently according to all I have read, the church is going to take on Obama on this one. A legal battle is going forward. Separation of church and state being at the heart of the battle.

o
Sorry

Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood.

I thought you mistook this person for that person.

o
Really ???

Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 10:36

"separation of church and state being at the heart of the battle"

(^_^)

o
!RE: Obamacare Dictate: Bishops Respond

Separation of church and state being at the heart of the battle.

Well, that can certainly be argued in Obama's favor. The "state" is requiring that employers provide equal coverage to all employees - as in "all" of them in the country. Why should this "employer" be allowed to have an exception? In fact, the "state" has provided some exemption already - when the Church itself is the employer.

But this is an argument for "affiliated" organizations and these organizations employ FAR MORE people than the Church. And they are employing people that are beyond the scope of the Church - that is they are employing non-Catholics.

o
Ohiomom emoticons for me

(^_^)

I agree.

Separation of Church and state except for creationism.

o

Separation of church and state refers to the limits our Constitution places on the power of the government (both federal and state) to legislate about religion.

Does that mean with the exception of when the government chooses to legislate about religion?

o
!!RE: Obamacare Dictate: Bishops Respond

No legislation here about religion. Just about what healthcare benefits should be available to employees. This is legislation applicable to an EMPLOYER.

Not sure how you get religion out of that.

o

Since these people are paid by the church, that would make them employees of a religious entity.

o

What Catholics in every pew didn't hear was a call for them to adhere to Vatican policies on contraceptives or LEAVE THE CHURCH now. The actual practice of most Catholics in birth control is much more in sync with HHS than a bunch of celebate men in pointy hats.

o

Since these people are paid by the church, that would make them employees of a religious entity.

Churches already have the exemption. This is for "affiliated" organizations like hospitals and universities. Does the church pay the employees of hospitals and universities too? Cause usually hospitals use funds paid by patients and insurances to pay their employees. And universities pay their employees with monies received from tuition and expenses like room and board payments.

And if you say yes, can you provide a link to support your statement?

o

I'm laying this out in what I hope is an understandable example:

"A" is a church which employs people and has a health insurance program. It is exempt.

"B" is a church which employs people, operates a neighborhood clinic which is paid for by donations from its church members and has a health insurance program for its employees. It is exempt.

"C" is a hospital, affiliated with A but not supported by donations from A's members. It has health insurance for its employees. It does not receive any government funding. It is exempt,.

"D" is a hospital, affiliated with A but not supported by donations from A's members. It has health insurance for its employees. It DOES receive government funding. It is NOT exempt and must offer insurance coverage for birth control to its employees. Most of its employees are not members of A and make use of the birth control benefits. Employees that are members of A, may use these benefits or, may choose, as a matter of conscience, to not use the benefits.

If I am wrong in any of the examples, feel free to correct me. And provide a link, please.

o

AND, how is it that these churches keep their tax exempt status?

It certainly seems to me that a lot of these churches are in violation of what is required to retain tax exempt status.

o

Good example, dockside!

o

This is very interesting to me on a legal level. I don't yet have an opinion and enjoy reading the opinions here.

I do think this will end up in the SCOTUS.

o

The Church has opinions on many matters, most of which are ignored by the politicos and partisans as not suiting their agenda.

No to torture.

No to atomic weapons.

No to the death penalty.

No to preemptive war in Iraq.

Yes to helping the poor - documented or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here