Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Republican criticisms of Obama Inaugural Speech

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 10:10

Today, Republicans like Ryan and McCain are stepping forward to criticize Obama for not giving a "reach across the aisle" speech. He should have talked more about how the Democrats are willing to compromise with the Republicans and how everyone is going to have to tighten their belts to meet the impending cuts (Republican cuts, of course) that will be forth coming.

It is true that Obama did not address, much less emphasize "why can't we all get along" and promise to corral his Democrats and convince them to go along with the Republican agenda so that the Republicans would feel more wanted.

I say, Thank Goodness!!!!!

I wouldn't trade that inspiring inaugural speech that filled me with pride in America and hope for its future for any "we gotta be nice to the losers so they will work with us by insisting we have to enact their agenda" speech any day for any price.

What say you?

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Republican criticisms of Obama Inaugural Speech

Of course. It's politics! That surprises you? Of all people who endorse (by example and words) a divided country, that surprises you?

o

Oddly enough, my boss' comments were, "he sure turned left". He's a die-hard Democrat. I agree it was purely Democrat, but I still liked the speech. It doesn't need to be an across the aisle speech to be good. He did talk about how we don't want to turn our backs on our elderly, while still talking about how we want to make the planet good for future generations, on top of equal rights for all Americans. Sounded good to me, and very on target. Especially for MLK day. He seemed to really take a back seat to that portion of the day and spend more time just being an American with the rest of us. I felt like we were all Americans yesterday. Politics didn't need to be in that speech. There is time yet for politics and yesterday was to be a celebration for one and all.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 10:23

"Republicans like Ryan and McCain are stepping forward to criticize Obama for not giving a "reach across the aisle" speech.

Yeah, just like Lucy would criticize Charley Brown for not agreeing to kick her football....again.

o

Republicans like Ryan and McCain are stepping forward to criticize Obama for not giving a "reach across the aisle" speech.

Ryan had the nerve to say that?

Really??

As for McCain -- yesterday the U.S. was not celebrating his second inauguration.

o

Why in the world would anyone expect a reach across the aisle speech from Obama. He has spent the last four years blaming Bush for everything and the last two blaming Bush and the republicans in congress. btw, did the senate go home for the past four years?

o

Why in the world would anyone expect a reach across the aisle speech from Obama.

I agree, mrskjun. Why give a speech that will just be ignored by the other side of the aisle? If anybody should be reaching, it should be the Republicans.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Obama isn't going to be fooled again! (here's some extra ones: !!!!!)

o

I agree with Robin, this was a speech for all Americans and those that admire the American Dream. On the other hand, I was shocked at the extent of Obama's turn to the left, at least in rhetoric. But notice, no call for growing labor unions or defending workers' rights, just the God-given rights of all citizens; the word citizen appearing often. He focused on defending and supporting the elderly, the minorities, the needy by insisting that we continue to keep and expand the floor or our social contract:SS/Medicare/Medicaid/etc.

Overall an inspirational speech, more like a State-of-the-Union one than a typical Inaugural one.

o

You're right MrsK, why would the President try and reach across the isle? He tried that 4 years ago and the Republicans (that you support) made it very clear that they would say "no" to anything and everything Obama suggested. Even if it hurt the American people. And since they've made it pretty clear they plan on doing the same thing for the next 4 years, why should he try and reason with them now? They are unreasonable and cannot be reasoned with.

The GOP is more and more looking like a bunch of spoiled brats that are mad they're not getting their way. Wake up call! You lost the election. The American people did not fall for your do anything to make Obama a 1 term President at any cost plan. Try doing your job for a change. Or do as fancifowl suggested and get the heck out of the way.

o

the extent of Obama's turn to the left

This is what Democrats used to sound like!

I also think that in view of the federal holiday celebrating Martin Luther King, an inaugural speech with social justice as its theme is quite appropriate.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 10:40

Oh come on folks and you expected praise?

Of course if you do not really believe in "life, liberty and justice for all", you probably did not like the speech.

o

Republicans like Ryan and McCain are stepping forward to criticize Obama for not giving a "reach across the aisle" speech.

It appears Ryan, McCain and Romney still have not figured out why they were not able to capture the majority vote to run the country. Color me SURPRISED. Another race, gender, sexual orientation the Republicans can alienate "SURPRISED"

o

jill, 4 years ago? The first two years of his presidency he got exactly what he wanted. Obamacare which had not one iota of input from republicans. The cost of which we haven't even begun to see. Look at our debt...remember, the one he was going to cut in half by year three? Don't blame the republicans, he got what he wanted, and it ain't pretty.

o

Lets keep in mind that a major part of the debt results from the collapsed economy and huge drop in revenue.

Coupled with two wars, the medicare drug benefit, tax cuts, more tax cuts, and some tax cuts.

o

The first two years of his presidency he got exactly what he wanted. Obamacare

And in spite of this horror, President Obama was re-elected. < /Dio mio! >

o

Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 10:50

which had not one iota of input from republicans

...which was decided in advance in the "caucaus room" on the night of the inaugural in 2008.

It is all about free choice and personal responsibility. The republican party decided to do everything possible to not only make Obama a one term president, but to block everything that was brought to the table even if they agreed with it. New Gingrich was there, and in his own words on national television, said this is what they all agreed to.

They "chose" their path and they will have to take personal responsibility for that choice. Period.

o

David, don't you know that an accurate reading of recent history is "blaming Bush" (and not taking 'pesonal responsibility') in GOP speak?

o

which had not one iota of input from republicans

That's right, not one iota of input because they refused to respond to Obama's reaches across the aisle.

You are making our case for us!

o

Well, except the idea of mandatory purchase of insurance has long been a Republican/conservative idea, the one Nixon, McCain, and the Heritage foundation proposed.

o

dublinbay, to all those many who complained that the Inaugural speech was not conciliatory (enough), I submit that:
It takes two to tango.
One hand cannot clap alone.
Han wash han mek han come clean.
It takes two to make a marriage a success and only one to make it a failure.
NOTA is original; they are in the public domain, I hope.
My own and very subjective sentiment is that the very unilateral declaration "to make Obama a one-term President" eliminates Messrs. McCain and Ryan from this discourse.

o

My own and very subjective sentiment is that the very unilateral declaration "to make Obama a one-term President" eliminates Messrs. McCain and Ryan from this discourse.

There--ronalawn has summed it up for all (well, "most") of us.

: )

Kate

o

Very well said, Ron. It does sum it up very nicely.

MrsK:Obamacare which had not one iota of input from republicans.

And why was that? Let me remind you because you seem to have forgotten...because the GOP refused to give any input other than "No". Oh, wait, no that's not exactly correct. The plan Obama settled on was the GOP plan to begin with. But, once it came from Obama, they said "no". He should have just done single payer and gotten it over with since they weren't going to compromise anyway. Live and learn.

o

mrskjun wrote,

Look at our debt...remember, the one he was going to cut in half by year three?

False.

Do you have the courage and integrity to admit your error?

o

That musta been one of the talking points at that uber-secret meeting at the tony Kingsmill resort. On every interview of a Republican that I've watched, the reference to not reaching across the aisle and the speech being too divisive has been the common theme.

They do this repeatedly time and time again. I remember that supposedly secret meeting in 2009 on the night of the inauguration where Republicans basically did the same thing only more stridently.

But you know, in defense of the Republican Party, I feel that party is just a reflection of the base. You get who and what you vote for.

-Ron-

o

"the extent of Obama's turn to the Left...." I don't see it that way. I perceive our President to be a Moderate. He is only upholding the traditions and ideas of the Great Society, in terms of the legacies of JFK and LBJ, and even Clinton and Carter. His speech was entirely appropriate in the face of memorializing M.L. King. The party of "No" has always falsely labelled Obama as being divisive, when it has been they who are the dividers, willing to wreck our country just to avoid any sort of possible compromise. Let those who criticize try to write a better, more unifying speech....

o

JFK and LBJ, and even Clinton and Carter=Democrats.

But you don't see a turn to the left? HA! I'm just having a laugh at your expense, but there it is.

:)

o

Not sure how the criticism by some Republicans of the President's inaugural speech is any different than their view that the President's speech was divisive.

I heard many moderate Republicans speak in positive terms about the President's speech. Facts are there are folk on the right that will find fault no matter what the President says so he may as well go with his heart!

Personally I was so happy to hear the President speak of what he believes in, what the majority of Americans believe in, and selfishly what most Canadians believe in.

Good job Mr President!

o

So the Repub critique is that he didn't hold the "olive branch" didn't say he would
"cave into their demands", didn't say "I'll do what you want".

He stood up and gave a speech that didn't meet the demands of the Repubs so it was no good.

On the other hand, truth be told, nothing Obama could say would be good enough for the Repubs because it came out of Obama's mouth.
There is nothing he can say or do that will satisfy them, absolutely nothing.

We all know that, the Repubs know that and just won't outright admit it.

The criticisms coming from the right, from the Repubs is a joke, a good laugh, and nothing more.

There new goal will be to destroy the second term of Obama, make sure his legacy is nothing but a disaster and attempt to tie 2 terms of "disaster of Obama" with the Democratic Party in an attempt to get a Repub in the White house next time around.

Seems to me, the Republican Party needs to come up with a new plan, not regurgitate the same one for the next 4 years. It didn't work in the last election, and if they do 4 more years of the same old thing, they will destroy their party.

The Republican Party is on "self destruct mode" and they are not smart enough to see it.

As long as the party is made up of what it is, they will self destruct and that is fine with me. The extremism that exists in the party is not what this country wants.

o

But Rob, times change. What was considered radical in the 1960's has now become mostly mainstream. Would you have the country return to what it was like before Kennedy? Maybe you would. But even if it were possible, we have to move on toward our future,as there is no going back.

o

I was just joshing around. I think the speech is something you liked, but that's because he said things that appeal to you. No, it's not radical, but it is very left.

I'd like to see some Jeffersonian ideals in place (a republic of small farmers--free and independent yeomen, but hey, it's not gonna happen), however, life before JFK? No, I don't want that. I assume you mean the Jim Crowe crap? Nope. Or you could mean FDR. Nope to that too. I'm not really sure of life before Ford, as I wasn't alive then. I do know I don't like LBJ, not the continued JFK ideals--those are great, his own ideas. Everything I've ever read about him just makes me irritated. So when do you mean?

o

Why the hell would Obama reach across the aisle, mrsK? The last four years the Republicans were the obstructionists vowing on the last inauguration day to make him a one termer. Rush , their king, was leading them every day..make him a one termer. Do everything you can. Oppose every bill. I loved the speech. Look at the crowd. This it today's America...not the stuffy old white guys in smoke filled rooms with their bourbon and cigars.

McCain and Ryan are LOSERS. McCain thinks he should have won in 08 and Ryan thinks he should have been sitting there yesterday as the Veep. Not a chance that will ever happen , Buddy.

o

Yes, a lot of the Jim Crow carp, the way women were treated, the times before Medicare, the days before Roe v. Wade, the mine stripping in West VA with the company towns, I could go on and on. There were some wonderful things that came out of the Kennedy years: the Peace Corps, the Head Start programs a little later. And as for FDR, he started all the good stuff. Where would this country have been without him, for so many reasons?

"Jeffersonian ideals, a republic of small farmers, free and independint yeomen..." Those times are long gone. We are no longer an agrarian nation. And, as much as I admire Jefferson, he was, after all, a slave owner.

o

In that case HELL no.

Jefferson was also a proponent for abolition of slavery. He is an enigma.

o

On every interview of a Republican that I've watched, the reference to not reaching across the aisle and the speech being too divisive has been the common theme.

Funny that probably the most inclusive inauguration speech ever given -- rights for gays, equal pay for women -- gets criticized as being divisive.

That conservative logic is just baffling.

o

I think he reached across the isle before his hand came back with excrement in it!

o

Jefferson did not free Sally Hemmings, the slave woman with whom he fathered several children, during his lifetime, but only after his death. You're right that Jefferson is an enigma, and I don't honor him as highly as I used to before I learned more of the details of his life.

o

Enigma indeed but I have a problem singing Jefferson praises when it comes to slavery. His actions never matched his words. He had hundreds of slaves during his lifetime and many opportunities to free them, yet he didn't. He was given slaves by a friend with the intention that he free them. Again, he didn't. There are many other examples where the words attributed to him don't match his actions.

o

epi, I agree. Jefferson was a good writer but not a great man.

o

mrskjun wrote,

Are you going to allow this falsehood you posted stand, to be added to the growing list of such falsehoods you have posted without retraction?

o

Reach across the aisle?

Lol. That didn't work in the first inaugural speech.

Mitch McConnell: The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

o

Here's the OP:

"Republican criticisms of Obama Inaugural Speech"

Which goes on to talk about criticism from McCain & Ryan. The intent appears to be adversarial: it implies that alle republicans are doing the criticizing, not just McCain & Ryan & whoever else--certainly not everybody. Granted they are republicans, but c'mon--the title of the OP is meant to cause more hard feelings. Wrap up the OP with ..."we gotta be nice to the losers..."

Go thru the thread and pick up something like this:

"The GOP is more and more looking like a bunch of spoiled brats that are mad they're not getting their way. Wake up call! You lost the election. McCain and Ryan are LOSERS."

This is not the way to have a discussion; this is intneded to cause conflict, which is fine if that is the intent and everyone's good with it. Have at it; but please don't blame the bad blood on anyone but yourselves, every one of you who doesn't object when a poster gives this kind of disrespect.

o

Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 20:00

"The intent appears to be adversarial
Granted they are democrats (I subbed dems for repubs), but c'mon--the title of the OP is meant to cause more hard feelings.
This is not the way to have a discussion; this is intneded to cause conflict"

Elvis obviously you haven't visited the "go for the throat" thread yet, and I hope you apply the same standard of criticism there as you did here.

o

Absolutely. Just didn't want to get too wordy.

o

Absolutely. Just didn't want to get too wordy.

Disingenuous much?

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 20:15

Whoa, Frank. Pay attention. Hamilton is doing no such thing.
;D

Not a peep about the op, just another poster.

o

My DH has a wonderful saying .......and it seems to be perfect right now...

He/she is so deep when you scratch the surface, you scratch the bottom.

o

You know what, epi brings out your bad side, Chase. Too bad. :(

o

I like that it's akin to "beneath the thin veneer you'll find a thin veneer"
It's a line from a crumby play that pretended it was important!

o

Now that this has devolved into personalities can we take it back to the Speech!

The President was also jabbing The Court Justices with his Stonewall reference as oral arguments will start in March on 2 Major Cases that have a good chance of not just overturning Doma but setting in motion the irresistible mechanics of EQUALITY.
On Jan 15.
"Republican leadership had once again secretly renegotiated its contract with attorney Paul Clement to defend the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act at the Supreme Court. This is the third time the contract has been adjusted, raising total costs to $3 million from the original $500,000 cap."
What can I say about them (PIGS)

o

What can I say about them (PIGS)

Now, Now...They are caring uniters. They are for small government small enough to crawl into your life. They care for those that are needy except those that did not take Personal Responsibility because they would not be needy if they had personal responsibility so they are not needy they are lazy. They want the gov to stay out of their pockets for those pretend no personal responsibility lazy people. shhh quiet now 1% are the needy because they have personal responsibility.

THEY BUILT IT!!!!

o

I caught a little of the day's celebration mostly because I love marching bands. As for the speech, all I could think of was how the teams have overwhelmed their opponents. To me, it is a sad time in our history.

o

The entire inauguration theme was equality! One sun! One people! Omg how can anyone tame offense?! These people are irrelevant. Their track record o. The right has voted against every progressive change in our country.

o

It was radical leftist his agenda yadda yadda yadda!

o

To a conservative, radical leftist agenda = equal rights for all, not just those they deem worthy.

o

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 12:53

To a conservative, radical leftist agenda = equal rights for all, not just those they deem worthy.

If you're not a conservative, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

You cannot speak for a conservative if you are not one.

o

Why would he give a "why can't we all get along" speech, when he's so much better at "rub your frigging nose in your own dung" speeches?

o

If you're not a conservative, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

You cannot speak for a conservative if you are not one.

Hmmmm...are you stalking me? I wasn't addressing you.

Ridiculous statement, isn't it? Try remembering that next time you want to say it.

To answer your question --

It's based on what I see here every day. It's based on what I see from Representatives in Congress every day.

It's my opinion, which I thought was very obvious and I'm sure was to most reading.

Wait...I thought I was a SOB. Guess not.

o

ditto demi's thoughts jill. I have to fully agree with that assessment. She just spoke up more quickly than I, but I would've likely commented had I seen it sooner.

o

rob, anyone can make a comment on the impression s/he has of those conservatives characterizing equal/civil/human rights as radical leftist ideas.

If those conservatives criticizing equal/civil/human rights happen to be senior GOP members in Congress, or other prominent Republicans, they are creating problems for their own party. I would think that GOP moderates would rush to condemn those criticisms rather than see their party portrayed as extremist - yet again - and risk alienating even more voters.

o

I'm sure they can. And they might be offensive. Can say things and should say things are two different things. It was just hate being spewed! I don't tolerate it on either side. I am frustrated with the party, but heck, I don't go around condemning the extremists. I might try to sway them or even express bewilderment, but condemn, I try not to.

o

I'm sorry you don't condemn the extremists, Rob. In my opinion (stating that so it's very clear!), that is a big part of the problem. They don't get condemned by their own party and they continue on and continue to get braver and braver in what they think they can do.

o

I don't go around condemning the extremists.

I share Jill's opinion. Without clear condemnation, along with an explanation of what generates it, the same extremist behaviour will be repeated again, and again, and again.

The criticism doesn't have to come from you personally, but responsible Republicans should speak up and let it be known that it will not be tolerated.

A number of us commented on the dog-whistle and coded language during the 2012 GOP primaries and the GOP convention. The lack of internal criticism is glaring. It's what gives many of us fears about who the Republicans are courting, and what will be offered to keep those voters in the GOP fold.

o

condemn=spewing hate

to me. Am I wrong? I don't want to do that. There are other ways.

o

Am I wrong?

Yes; it can be done respectfully, and should include the reasons why that position is taken.

Just reread some of Martin Luther King's speeches; he certainly had his points on civil and human rights come across without spewing hate.

o

Talk about doing it right! He's awesome.

I just think the tenor of political conversations in America has gotten so off course. I don't want to add to it. We need to tone it down and tune in. Can you dig it?

o

I don't want to add to it.

You can't go wrong following the example of Dr. King!

o

Silence is worse to me than excessive condemnation or the more forceful spewing of words of hate: something I have seen accomplished with the mildest of both tone and words.

Silence allows the very worst of behaviors and actions to continue more than once or one hundred times, with the cambodian Pol Pot slaughter easily accomplished at one extreme and those awful, grindingly embyarrassing, televised-to-an-astonished-world town hall meetings of those screaming conservative HYSTERICS on the other.

The way the average person should respond to attempt at least a pause, in the situations we are talking about, would depend a lot upon the results of success that the objecter's current form of protest usually results in.

In this case, the voter's choice was the protest, and thus our President's last name is Obama.

It is too bad that we had to endure the 5 years we did though. In that 5 year timeline, I include the year of the President's campaign, when the unusual level of reactionary hysteria regarding him began.

I have a feeling we will experience another 4 years of it, bringing in grand total of 9 years of "he's the worst President EVER!" - all about a man that many regard as a muslim terrorist America/s hating non-citizen who needs to show his health papers and college transcripts. I know I have left out a lot.

All said right here in this forum from a few who still participate frequently to this day, mostly met with the usual conservative silence from the vast majority.

Except for you always, Rob, and for a very few, very occasionally who did put in a few words of disagreement.

The silence over the worst of it, and then over the final last gasping demand for papers over the health and college transcripts was desperation right over the top. There was even defense over the 'right' to the demand by a few who thought the basic idea of demanding the new batch of papers was of ignorance in its idea or the wish-belief that was behind it all.

As if we were discussing the idea of free speech instead of hysterical excessive hatred towards a democratic President who, incidentally, was the first ever President with black skin - which had nothing all all to do with all the years hysteria, of course, and don't anyone dare say that it did.

What rational discussion of respectful disagreement can effectively deal with such hate based hysteria or the conservative silence which too often accompanies such hate?

Hate spewing can come in many forms IMO , and silence over these issues by conservatives about conservatives - or defense over the hate based demands, even if disagreeing, is a form of hate spewing, because it provides no barrier in the continuation of the actions and words.

If there were more conservatives who participated as you do Rob, this would be a good discussion forum. I will also agree that ( to a far FAR lesser degree, I must admit, IMO) some of what I have stated, in some ways can probably be applied to those here, including myself at times, who are politically inclined liberals.

What would be best of all is that if each of us, at some even small points, felt free enough to state that such a good argument point had been presented that one felt compelled to re-think a smaller position within a main topic.

Like THAT'LL ever happen.

o

mrskjun wrote,

Having been given ample opportunity to defend or retract this false claim, it is now clear that mrskjun has neither the courage nor the integrity to admit that this is a fabrication.

Do conservatives here believe that conservative politicians are more honest than they themselves are? The same? Less honest?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here