Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paula's Recipe Inspiration????????

Posted by fl_gypsy (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 10:21

Many of Paula's recipes are not really Southern but I think I may have possibly found out where her inspiration came from. My son, his family and I attended the county fair last night. There were Doughnut Burgers, Fried Oreos, Fried Twinkies, Fried Snickers, Fried Butter and believe it or not, Fried Kool Aid. This was my first time hearing about "Fried Kool Aid". For those of you who have also never heard of it, they make a sweet batter, flavor it with Kool Aid and drop it in balls into the "grease". None of us had any desire however to try it so I can't tell you how it tasted. Now my family settled in the South right off the boat so I am 100% Southern but I'd never heard of these things until they were introduced at the fair over the years.. They definitely aren't Southern regardless to what Paula says. The South has to take the blame tho for the Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Green Beans, Fried Pickles, Blooming Onion, Onion Rings, Fried Cauliflower, Broccoli and Squash, which was also offered

My son, DIL and grands shared an order of Fried Oreo's (I don't even like Oreos right out of the package) and we all shared a Blooming Onion, Pizza and Funnel Cake; the boys also had cotton candy so we were bad but hey, the fair only comes once a year. Of course there is also the Swamp Cabbage Festival, Coconut Grove Art Festival, Black Gold Festival, Sugar Festival, etc. so I guess we are bad a little more than once a year l................... Oh well, you only live once but if I attend too many of these festivals I probably won't live as long. ;^(

I saw advertised, but had no desire to become any more closely aquainted with it, "Maggot Melts". Yes you read that right. The advertisement pictured a hamburger bun with cheese and on top of that the squirmy little critters. I made sure not to buy anything from that vendor...........didn't know where one of the little varmits might have crawled to. I looked it up online and supposedly it is a big seller all over the country. My eight year old grandson thought I was kidding until I showed him the advertisement. He said "Now that is just plain disgusting". Yep, an eight year old revolted by it and adults buying them??????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paula's Recipe Inspiration????????

WHAT?? Now we have to eat the kool-aid? ;) lol

Where was this fly gypsy?

I think you are right. It is one thing using whole food ingredients whether butter or oil, etc and we know this is fattening and in moderation...but then she would add an extra brick of cream cheese (just coz) or make things like the donut buger. It is so excessive that when she now says she preached moderation it is an eye roller!

o

Thank goodness those things haven't made to our neck of the woods yet fl gypsy. They sound so disgusting. I'll admit that I love fried green tomatoes, and blooming onions, and funnel cakes with strawberries and whipped cream lol. But I only eat them once, twice a year. Other than the fried green tomatoes which I will eat anytime I can get my hands on some green tomatoes.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 10:49

Candied apples, cotton candy, elephant ears and I loved those french fries with vinegar ... can tell it has been years since I went to the fair. Check these delights out !!

YUCK !!

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky Dink

o

Moderation is the one thing rarely practiced in the land of "bigger is better". For a very long time now, everything American has been big and vast... from the size of our country and many of it states, to automobiles and food portions... from hair styles and roller coasters, to houses and highrises... just about everything American has been "the bigger, the better"! I couldn't say for sure, but I'd bet the phrase "supersize it" was born on American shores.

We built the Hoover Dam, the Empire State building, the Sears Tower, Mt. Rushmore... we sang songs about the vast majesty of America, and its fields of waving grain, from sea to shining sea... even our military is so vast that the Pentagon defies actual audit. We even sport some of the world's biggest egos and a sense of entitlement.

Even our dogs got bigger... with the APBT being bred to top out at around 80-90 pounds, when anyone who knows dogs realizes that a real Pit Bull tops out at 35-65 pounds, with 65 being a genetic freak!

My point is, we were once a very rich nation pretty much across the board, with a huge middle class, and excess was just part of the American lifestyle. Even our music is louder, our celebrities bigger, but more to the point, our meal portions grew to outrageous size. And what about the ever popular All-You-Can-Eat Buffet?

Little did we know that all this excess would reach out and bite us quite hard, right where it hurts the most... our health, and that of our children.

While other nations on other continents enjoyed food more fully than we did, they enjoyed it in moderation. They put down their utensils between bites, chewed and savored their foods, ate smaller portions, and were more about the flavors and textures than how much they could stuff in their gullets in one sitting.

We have no one but ourselves to blame.

We fry everything in fat, after coating it with a batter... we use ungodly amounts of sugars... mostly from corn. We drink gallons of over-sugared liquids, beers, and we coat everything with butter, mayonnaise, gravies, and sauces.

And the size issue is only one variable. So is the corn sugar/high fructose corn syrup issue.

They used to say... never trust a skinny cook... but that was before obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, and other health problems began to plague our country in epidemic proportions. Anyone cooking publicly that is obese is quite obviously not preaching moderation.

o

"Where was this fly gypsy? "

At numerous towns in South Florida Maggie. We have a few festivals that we try to attend every year. Some are a couple of hours from home but enjoyable enough in our opinion for us to make the drive. I took my son when he was a kid and now the tradition is being carried over to the Grands.

Oh yes Mrs Kajun, Fried green tomatoes are in a category of their own. How do you make yours? I like to dip mine in an egg wash then in cornmeal. If I'm making them just for myself I like to add some crushed red pepper to the cornmeal.

Ohiomon, I love candied apples too but have caps on my front teeth and am afraid I'll break one or pull one off. I forgot to mention the alligator and frog legs. They had those at the fair too but living in South Florida, I am used to seeing them offered and didn't consider them unusual.............didn't say I eat them mind you, just that they aren't unusual in this neck of the woods. I look forward to getting the swamp cabbage at the Swamp Cabbage Festival. Last year tho it wasn't that good; vendors didn't know how to cook them. The swamp cabbage fritters however were great. Then they have a Black lady who has a booth called "Pearl's Home Cookin" and let me tell you, Pearl can cook some Southern food. I always hit her up for collards, black eyed peas, and cornbread. At the Coconut Grove Art Festival there is a lady from the Bahamas who makes the best conch fritters you have ever put in your mouth and a church that makes onion rings to die for. Both of these festivals are held next month..........good thing because I've already talked myself into HUNGRY.

o

Fried green tomatoes with remoulade--heavenly1

The rest of junk deep fried--no way.

o

Sounds fun!

o

Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 12:48

....love friend green tomatoes/squash/okra. Would love to try conch fritters.

Now I am hungry :)

o
spell chick

Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 12:48

LOL ... "fried" not "friend" ... :)

o

Yes, fried is not your friend.

o

Ohiomom, I checked out your link.

Are those people crazy??? Those are some of the most disgusting things I've ever seen and people pay money to eat them at a fair?

o

Most of it sounds disgusting, but what are blooming onions?

o

Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 13:44

LOL HG that was my thought ... as far as the fried foods I do eat, they are not eaten on a regular basis.

But I do predict some friend okra (from my garden last year) on the menu this weekend :)

o
Here Ya Go

"Most of it sounds disgusting, but what are blooming onions?"

Wiki explains and even has a picture. I think it also has calorie count............which is absolutely sinful....but delicious if you get them right out of the fryer. We usually order one for an appetizer when we go to Outback Steakhouse. I don't care as much for Chilli's.

Here is a link that might be useful: blooming onion

o

LOL HG that was my thought ... as far as the fried foods I do eat, they are not eaten on a regular basis.

Oh, I have fried foods too. I like fried green tomatoes and no steak is complete without fried onions and mushrooms.

But fried ice cream inside a cheeseburger? Candy apples coated in mealworms? Koolaid pickles?

BLEH!

o
Fried Ice Cream.....OH YEAH

You know, I forgot completely about Fried Ice Cream. Not inside a cheeseburger but the kind you get in Mexican Restaurants. MMMM MMMM Good. I guess you can get it at other places, but I like it from the Mexican Restaurants, one in particular. They take a flour tortilla and fry it in the shape of a bowl. Then a round solid scoop of ice cream is rolled in something like coconut, cereal or nuts and it is dipped quickly in hot oil to brown the ice cream coating. After this is done the ball of ice cream is placed in the tortilla and honey is poured over it. Finally, whipped cream is added and cinnamon is sprinkled on top. I've probably gained five pounds just writing about it.

o

This is the most disgusting list of food I ever saw. I've never heard of most of them. I will say funnel cake came from up here in PA Dutch country, and there are always lines for it. Blooming onions are also up here now, and I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole. I would get violently ill if I took a bite of any of them. That said, fried green tomatoes don't belong in that category. Although I eat absolutely NO fried food, my grand mother and her mother made these 100 years ago.

o

I'm not a fair-goer, and probably haven't been to one for 40 years, but I really enjoy the TV ads for the Minnesota State Fair... they tend to go for 1950's, 1960's archival film footage. Big hair, pedal pushers, plaid shorts with Birkenstocks and white sox. But the food is anything deep fried (deep fried Klondike Bar is relatively new) or anything on a stick like spaghetti or any of Minnesota's staple hotdishes.

This will get you salivating (or retching as the case may be)... fairly new are two types of bacon on a stick, one called "Pig Lickers" - chocolate covered, and the other, called the "Big Fat Bacon" is a quarter pound of maple glazed bacon. Maybe Paula Deen picked up some culinary tricks here.

o

Our local fair always has those weird foods. My husband and I make an effort to try at least one or two of them every year.

We tried the fried koolaid this year -- it tastes pretty like a red koolaid flavored donut. I thought it was awful tasting, he thought it was okay.

We also tried the chocolate covered bacon, which I thought was surprisingly good. Nice mix of salty and sweet. Not something I need to eat on a regular basis, though.

Part of the problem with fair food is that they give you way too much. I'd rather just pay a buck or two and get a much smaller portion. We usually end up throwing away half of what we buy.

And yes, moderation is the key. We don't normally eat like this, but it's fun to do it once a year when we go to the fair. I might try the fried butter next year, LOL.

o

Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 17:39

I WANT Mexican fried ice cream !! LOL

Haven't been to a Fair since the children were small, and these foods were not on the menu then thank goodness :)

o

It's "fair" food. No one gives their child pure sugar for a snack, but lots of people have no problem with cotton candy once a year. All the other foods are in the same category - something utterly ridiculous for kids to try once a year and tell their friends about. :)

As for me, I don't know any adult who has ever tried that stuff, but I know more than a few kids who have - including a couple of my own. :)

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 18:06

I think the majority of fried food is nasty. I make the exception for the occasional sweet potato fries and thin catfish filets ... and Bonefish Grill's Bang Bang Shrimp. ;)

o

There is only one thing I actually fry... breaded pork tenderloin. It was my Mother's recipe, and its flavor and tenderness is outstanding. Other than that, fried foods lead to cholesterol city. You can imagine that I only make this dish as an occasional treat.

I don't want to live forever... but I do want to feel good and be as healthy as I can be while I'm here.

o

I love fried food, don't tell my doctor. Deep fried cheese curds, onion rings, french fries, fried ice cream, fried green tomatoes, you name it. As for the trendy fried twinkie or oreo, haven't tried anything like that.

Now fried fish, fried shrimp, calamari, tofu, yum! I suppose I indulge in "common" fried foods such as french fries more often than I should, and the rest, only on occasion. Butter? Love it!

I'm not overweight and I don't have high cholesterol. So for now I seem to be coping. Maybe it's all the red wine I drink ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here