Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bob Menendez and Mike Crapo

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 11:05

Should it be news when a US Senator is arrested for drunk driving? I think so.

Should it be news when a US Senator is under investigation by the FBI for his involvement with under age children? I think so.

I googled the names of both senators, without any qualifiers, just to see what would come up. What a surprise! I put in Mike Crapo, and there it was! Google and the MSM wanted Americans to know about the Senator caught driving drunk. Good job.

What popped up on Google when I put in Bob Menendez? That the US Senator is under investigation by the FBI escaped both Google's and the MSM's notice!

I'm sure the MSM will be all over the Menendez story any day now. After all, he's a rising star in the Obama administration.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bob Menendez and Mike Crapo

I dunno - googling I saw that several outlets reported his supposed trysts in the DR, along with reports about him hiring a Peruvian sex offender, but for the FBI investigation, that info was only leaked/discovered yesterday when someone got ahold of some FBI emails, which would, I assume, be considered a leak.

So I'd think you'd have to give the press some time to catch up.

But I see someone already have a professionally designed website up devoted to this leak......

Here is a link that might be useful: link to website

o

nikoleta wrote,

I'm sure the MSM will be all over the Menendez story any day now. After all, he's a rising star in the Obama administration.

False. Robert Menendez is not a member of the Obama adminstration. Do you copy this sort of fabrication from another source, or do you just make it up yourself?

o

Nika lives and functions in her own rarified world of spinning memes debasing liberals.

o

Methinks Nik has moved from illegals to the MSM.....

o

Methinks Nik has moved from illegals to the MSM....

We'll quickly learn if this is true when Congress addresses immigration reform.

I predict an ambidextrous outrage (someone help me with a better phrase -- bifurcated bitterness?) such as "Why is the MSM siding with the illegals who have bankrupted our emergency rooms and caused the housing-market debacle?"

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 12:56

Crapo's DUI was all over the Washington news, on December 24, and I would bet it's was also all over the Idaho news too.

We love hypocrites.

Why on earth didn't they change their last name. I'm sure the humiliating name calling started in the newborn nursery.

o

Apparently the man who invented or promoted the flush toilet was named Crapper. Perhaps his extended family reached into Italy, thus Crapo. Crap, what do I know?

o

Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 15:27

Cray - po

o

Another one of those names where a life time is spent telling people how one prefers it be pronounced.

o

"Crapo's DUI was all over the Washington news, on December 24, and I would bet it's was also all over the Idaho news too."

Thanks for making my point. Crapo is a Republican.

The soon to be head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee has been sleeping with under age prostitutes, but that's not news. Bob Menendez is a Democrat.

o

Allegations of sleeping with prostitutes did nothing to impede Senator David Vitter's [R-LA] career.

o

nik, maybe you should become a reporter so that you can break all the stories about democrats that the rest of the media is not covering.

Oh wait, Fox has it as a top story today ... there you go:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/25/fbi-mum-on-claim-sen-menendez-saw-prostitutes-in-dominican-republic/

o

What is MSM?

o

Bob Menendez is a Democrat.

Perhaps you're not aware -- not all democrats are part of Obama's administration.

Or are you retracting this statement?
After all, he's a rising star in the Obama administration.

o

Ann t - MSM is the mainstream media.

o

Right, Nancy. Nik, Google David Vitter if you want a smarmy story.

Fortuitous that Melendez is the story du jour on Fox. Always can count on one of the Righties to bring the talking points of the day.

o

Thank you Kate. I thought she was referring to MSNBC and wondered why she kept using two M's.

Ann

o

Especially when they have that special esp gift of knowing details of the story without ever watching or reading the sources on FOX or Drudge or...

o

"According to the email exchange, Chavez reached out to Williams in August of 2012 concerning information about Menendez's activities in the Dominican Republic, which Williams had reported to Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

Identifying himself as a special agent who works cases involving crimes against children, Chavez asked for Williams' help tracking down the women who claimed to have engaged in sex with the senator for money.

'If you can give me ... information on all the young ladies who were victimized that would be helpful,' Chavez wrote in an email on Sept. 12, 2012, about one month after their initial correspondence. 'As far as the information you have provided, we have been able to confirm most of it. We know that you are providing accurate information and that is why it is imperative for us to meet in person with you and with all of those involved.'

Chavez and Williams exchanged dozens more emails over the next couple months, in which Chavez repeatedly asked Williams to meet with him in person or call him on the phone but Williams continuously evaded him.

Even when Chavez offered to take a trip to the Dominican Republic in December, WIliams turned him down.

'I am holding off on traveling to the Dominican Republican until I hear from you,' Chavez wrote on Dec. 19. 'We both know how important this investigation is and I think you would agree with me that it is imperative that you and I meet as soon as possible. Please let me know when we can meet, or at least give me a cal so you and I can establish a closer working relationship.'
A week later, Williams turned him down for a meeting.

'I agree our meeting is increasingly important,' Williams wrote Dec. 25. 'I keep working hard on the investigation, but I'm having some inconvenient [sic] with some people who were collaborating with me on this. It is utterly essential that I solve these problems out before our long-expected meeting.'

While the FBI shows interest in the investigation throughout the emails, the agent appears only to be checking out a possible lead from an increasingly uncooperative source.

The Daily Caller first reported on the allegations of Menendez's sexual misconduct in November 2012, just before the election. Two women claiming to have engaged in sex for money with Menendez came forward in video interviews with the news website. One woman claimed she was celebrating her 17th birthday when she met Menendez.

end quote

So we're at the allegations phase, and the FBI can't get a witness in the DR to come forward after numerous attempts and offering to fly down and meet him.

So, this couldn't possibly be a smear campaign based on false accusations.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Good work, David. Unfortunately the damage by innuendo and rumor has worked its magic via unethical and unprofessional media and their internet syncopates. (Hi, Nika!)

o

Let me be an ol' stick in the mud and remind nik that our system operates on the principle of INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

Kate

o

As nika has suggested in the past, this here HT is not a court of law, so sue her. Also something about where there is smoke there must be fire. And the insistence that if the Repubs do it, the Dems to it worse and more.

Donchaknow?

o

Donchaknow?

But what about the journalists' standards and ethics that Nik posted a day or so ago?

Do those guidelines apply to everyone else except her sources for smear and innuendo?

o

You obviously donchaknow not: you missed the overriding principle of "do as I say, not as I do."

o

I wonder if anyone investigated ol' Rush's trip to the DR where he came back with a bottle of those blue pills supposedly prescribed to someone else. The DR, from what I have read, is notorious for young boys offering sex.

I know, it's innuendo, but how is this any different from nik's post?

o

Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 19:25

Nik, I was commenting on the only thing I knew about, I haven't heard or read about Menendez, yet, so I feel that commenting, Democrat or Republican, would be inappropriate. But I guess you don't, agree.

I guess some people will comment on anything, even if they know nothing about it.

Lighten up with the partisan hooey.

o

I couldn't find a reputable source for the Menendez story and so I will reserve judgement until it shows up in the NYT (which it would, if it were true).

o

as a digression I hope they do more undercover work on the sex holidays by USIANS down in the Dominican Republic it's a very popular spot for sex tours.
One shock jock coming back from there had his VIGRA seized because his name wasn't on it, he was traveling with men I didn't see his wife on the passenger list which is available on line. If they crossed the border into Haiti poor sad Haiti the age of consent drops bye 3 years! Still I'm certain prostitution is still illegal.

o

For all the shady deals, tax evasion, fraud, bribery, and Mafia money-laundering links that Berlusconi had, he may be convicted for frequenting an under-age prostitute.

o

Keeping the forum updated on this fast-paced, rapidly developing scandal of mega proportions.

o

Elected officials need to keep track of age of consent laws when they travel!

o

Knowing the laws of other countries is one thing. Caring about them and adhering to them is quite something else.

o

MIAMI, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- The FBI Tuesday raided the office of a South Florida doctor who allegedly provided prostitutes to U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J.

Dr. Salomon Melgen, an eye doctor practicing in West Palm Beach, Fla., is also the target of an Internal Revenue Service lien for more than $11 million, The Miami Herald reported. The newspaper said federal investigators are believed to be looking into Melgen's finances as well as the allegations about prostitutes.

Melgen has been a major contributor to Menendez and other political campaigns. Menendez has flown to the Dominican Republic at least once on Melgen's private plane. - snip -

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK!!! LINK!!! LINK!!!

o

"I guess some people will comment on anything, even if they know nothing about it."

You make my point beautifully. The press has left us in the dark. The public cannot possibly know what the facts are until the press sniffs them out, and reports what it learns.

If that were happening, Google would have endless links to MSM network, newspaper and magazine reports on what Menendez is likely being investigated for. The under age prostitutes accusing him should have been interviewed by now, and their stories reported. The NYT and the rest of the MSM should be sharing the supporting and/or exculpatory evidence it has uncovered with the public, so that all we know more about the background of America's newest Democrat chairman of the SFRC.

I would be delighted to have the NYT thoroughly investigate the claims of the prostitutes he supposedly did not pay. I would be grateful if the NYT used its many sources to find out what what the FBI is looking for.

o

LOL...I love it...democrat did something...well what about David Vitter...poor old David Vitter has been used to counter everything any democrat ever did...probably going back to Teddy Kennedy letting Mary Jo die. Poor thing, give him a rest, his diaper is in tatters from being drug out so many times.

o

So, nothing new to report.

o

nikoleta wrote,

You make my point beautifully. The press has left us in the dark. The public cannot possibly know what the facts are until the press sniffs them out, and reports what it learns.

The hypocrisy is palpable:

"The soon to be head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee has been sleeping with under age prostitutes" -- nikoleta, Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 15:55

o

NPR just reported that Mendez was shocked, shocked I tell you that he had somehow overlooked the $50,000 something worth of free trips he got from the eye doctor and forgot to mention it on his forms, but he took care of it, and so move along, here folks, nothing to see here.

o

"NPR just reported that Mendez was shocked, shocked I tell you that he had somehow overlooked the $50,000 something worth of free trips he got from the eye doctor and forgot to mention it on his forms, but he took care of it, and so move along, here folks, nothing to see here."

I agree. But at this point what difference does it make???
Besides, he promised he did not have sex with that adolescent.

All Menendez did was take an interest in the work of some young female professionals. As Marshall suggested early on, the poor guy is a VICTIM.

FTA: "Bob Menendez, the combative New Jersey senator beset by allegations that he had sex with at least one underage prostitute in the Dominican Republic, hurried out of a Marriott ballroom in Washington, D.C. after a speech Thursday night, out-dashing a gaggle of reporters and ignoring questions all the way to a welcome elevator."

I'll bet Menendez has at least as much courage as that other "victim," Anthony Wiener. As the newly installed head of America's Senate Foreign Relations Committee, there's no way Menendez would dare lie to us. He won't lie to the FBI either, because that could land him in prison. Right? So he's going to have to go before the cameras and tell us what happened. So glad the MSM is finally trickling in to ask questions they could have been asking him in November. Better late than never.

Here is a link that might be useful: Senator Victimized

o

I need some information here. The Dominican Republic is not part of the United States. So, how can the FBI investigate something that did not take place on U.S. soil?

I can understand investigating him for trips taken, and not reported, that were paid for by someone in violation of U.S. campaign finance law or some other U.S. law. But, please tell me why the FBI would be investigating anyone for personal activities in the D.R., reprehensible as they may be. Something smells a little fishy here - the least of which is not everything is being reported.

Or, is he being investigated because someone paid for his visits to prostitutes in violation of campaign finance laws? The fact that the prostitutes may have been under-age would be a DR law enforcement issue, not a U.S. issue.

Need more information, please.

o

nikoleta wrote,

The soon to be head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee has been sleeping with under age prostitutes

demifloyd wrote,

Nik, there appears to be more to this story than first assumed, as I noted we might withhold complete judgment until more facts were avaiable.
Tawana Brawley and the Duke LaCrosse team are indeed two instances of the media and the public wrongly crucifying someone before facts were known, these people that call for the death or punishment of someone prior to the facts being known--as the bounty on Zimmerman--- are exactly the same as the lynch mobs that hung black people in the last century.

Not one bit different.

o

"Need more information, please."

I agree. We do need more information. Perhaps the new president of NBC News will assign some reporters to answer questions like yours. If you as an attorney don't know much about FBI jurisdiction, imagine how lost the rest of us are!

o

WASHINGTON : Senator Robert Menendez of New Jersey intervened with federal health officials on two occasions in the last four years in an effort to help a close friend in a billing dispute with Medicare, federal investigators said Wednesday.

The senator's efforts were unavailing, but he persisted, the investigators said.

The senator's friend, Dr. Salomon E. Melgen, a Florida eye surgeon, is under federal investigation. A team of agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Health and Human Services raided Dr. Melgen's offices in West Palm Beach and removed 30 boxes of documents and other material last week.

The revelation about the senator's involvement in the Medicare matter was reported by The Washington Post on Wednesday night.

Last week, The New York Times published an article detailing the senator's efforts to help Dr. Melgen, a major benefactor of his, revive a lucrative contract to provide port security in the Dominican Republic.

Dr. Melgen has been in a dispute with Medicare officials over billing for a drug used to treat certain types of macular degeneration, which can cause loss of vision and damage to the retina. By getting several doses of the drug from a single vial, investigators said, Dr. Melgen was able to make the drug go further, and as a result, he was able to treat more patients and file more claims with Medicare.

Thus, for example, Medicare might allow doctors to bill $2,000 for a vial, but the doctor sometimes filed claims for as much as $8,000, said the investigators, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the inquiry was continuing.

While Medicare was trying to recover money from the doctor, the senator contacted federal officials and suggested that the agency was being unfair and needed to clarify its policy, the investigators said.

In 2009, they said, Mr. Menendez, a Democrat, called Jonathan D. Blum, a senior official at the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, known as C.M.S. In 2012, they said, the senator expressed his concern in a meeting with Marilyn B. Tavenner, the acting administrator of the agency, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Both officials indicated to Mr. Menendez that they had no plans to change the payment policy for the drug.

The government eventually recovered some of the money from Dr. Melgen, but he is exercising his right to pursue an administrative appeal, challenging Medicare's determination that he had overbilled the program, the investigators said.

An aide to Mr. Menendez issued a statement on Wednesday night, saying that the senator had no knowledge of any Medicare fraud investigation involving Dr. Melgen's company. "Senator Menendez was never aware of and has not intervened in any Medicare fraud investigation on behalf of Vitreo Retinal Consultants," one of Mr. Melgen's companies, the aide said.

The Menendez aide confirmed that the senator has "in the past raised concerns with C.M.S. about conflicting guidelines and ambiguity in C.M.S. rules that are difficult for providers to understand." Mr. Menendez wanted to make sure that "providers were not penalized if C.M.S. clarified or changed the rules of the game retroactively," the aide added.

snip

Mr. Menendez has been helpful to Dr. Melgen. Two years ago, Dr. Melgen bought an ownership interest in a company that had a long-dormant contract with the Dominican Republic to provide port security. Mr. Menendez, who is chairman of the Senate subcommittee that holds sway over the Dominican Republic, subsequently urged officials in the State and Commerce Departments to intervene so the contract would be enforced, at an estimated value of $500 million. snip end quote

Still nothing on the underage prostitutes.

o

snip - Williams, meanwhile, has gone underground. The anonymous WordPress site has apparently not been updated since Jan. 24. TPM's emails to Peter Williams' Yahoo account have not been returned. Other media outlets have had similar luck - with one exception. On Jan. 30, Breitbart reporter Matthew Boyle, who wrote the original story for The Daily Caller in November, reported that he'd received copies of other emails traded between Williams and the FBI, and that he also received "a note" from Williams himself.

"[S]ince de [sic] very beginning I explained to the FBI and CREW I wanted a serious investigation and not a public scandal," Williams said. "Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my control, this investigation went public prematurely and without my consent - Now my situation is critical, and even more that of the people who trusted me."

But other people who corresponded with Williams are now casting doubts on the reliability of his claims."

So the anonymous flashy website put up that first day is now moribund, the "source" has disappeared, and still nothing to corroborate the underaged prostitute question.

I note, however, that several Main Stream Media outlets are pointing out the "prostitution" that Sen. Mendez does on behalf of some his mega-doners

o
An update

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 11:06

A team of FBI agents has been conducting interviews in recent weeks in the Dominican Republic and the United States, looking into allegations that Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) patronized prostitutes in the Caribbean nation, but has found no evidence to support the claim, according to two people familiar with the investigation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

"The FBI's investigation into New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez's potentially shady dealings is still ongoing, but for now it seems like he's going to get off an least one of the charges: they can't find any evidence he solicited any Dominican prostitutes, underage or otherwise. The Washington Post's Carol D. Leonnig and Peter Wallsten report the FBI can't find anything linking Menendez to prostitutes working in the Dominican Republic. The prostitutes Melendez was accused of cavorting with have so far proved to, y'know, not be prostitutes.

Allegations Menedez was flown by longtime friend and donor Salomon E. Melgen to the Dominican Republic (and provided with prostitutes during his visits) were first reported by the Daily Caller, and then drudged up again by emails leaked to Breitbart's Matthew Boyle. We never thought the evidence held up there.

Where the investigation stands in relation to the allegations Menendez intervened to protect a $500 million port security contract on behalf of Melgen remains to be seen. Melgen, who works as an optometrist in West Palm Beach, had his offices raided by the FBI over these allegations, but we have not heard any results from that part of the investigation. Menendez has a long history of being a great friend to Melgen that might seem, on the surface, to be a little suspect. The New Jersey Sen. also stepped in to stop an investigation accusing that would have seen Melgen charged for overbilling Medicare for $9 million. Menendez maintains his relationship with Melgen is on the up and up, and that he has never, ever been bought by anyone. " end quote

As I mentioned above, looks like prostituting himself for all the money and favors from the Optometrist seems far more likely....

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 13:14

Apparently he's no different than any of the other 535 national and countless state and local politicians who prostitute themselves for money and favors, is he?

o

Seems it was all fabricated. It will be interesting to ultimately find out who is behind this.

An escort who appeared on a video claiming Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) paid her for sex has told Dominican Republic police that she was instead paid to make up the claims in a tape recording and has never met or seen the senator before, according to court documents and two people briefed on her claim.

The woman identified a lawyer who approached her and a friend to make the videotape, according to affidavits obtained by the Post. That man has in turn identified another lawyer who gave him a script for the tape and paid him to find women to fabricate the claims, the affidavits say.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

nikolata had posted,

The soon to be head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee has been sleeping with under age prostitutes

Standing by that?

o

So, whats up with Mike Crapo - sort of a comparison .....

ok, looks like it was vodka shots that did him in (as is does sooooo many). He's sorry he got a one year suspended license. His marriage is strong, he affirms, and he's gonna run again in '16.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the latest

o

What popped up on Google when I put in Bob Menendez? That the US Senator is under investigation by the FBI escaped both Google's and the MSM's notice!

I guess it wasn't news nik, because it didn't happen.

o

As Nik said on another thread......

" You never know, Marshall. All you can do is put it out there and see if it sticks."

o

I wonder if James O'Keefe was in anyway involved in this. It's his modus operandi. But, I don't think he went all the way to the Dominican Republic, so probably not.

o

O'Keefe is much more cheap and tawdry than this - all the Breitbart trolls are. Not that this will stop the bottom-feeders from trumpeting the fabrication to high heaven.

o

They mainstream media should cover the fact that the false accusers recanted and identified a political operative who paid them to lie. Will Fox apologize for running outside the mainstream with false unverified accusations against a U.S. Senator?

And finally, Will South Carolinians vote to put Sanford into Congress after he violated ethics laws and not only cheated on his wife, but made a public azz out her?

And finally, consider the relative culpability of this guy and other public officials who have used campaign money unethically. Many of those guys are in prison ...and they didn't even have the extramarital sex that this guy had with other peoples money. Now Sanford is running as a cReepublican for Congress? Wow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back on the Appalachian trail

This post was edited by heri_cles on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 7:41

o

Thanks for the reminder heri. The MSM has little interest in Democrat Menendez. Thank heavens the new media does. Do you know what a "hobbyist" is? Menendez is one, according to one of his escorts.

FTA: "Most of the client base for elite escorts in Washington is among lobbyists, politicians and other attorneys, she said. About 90 percent are involved with government.

“They’re all attorneys, lobbyists of some sort. They are all " within reason " are lobbyists or attorneys or senators.”

Menendez, she said, is “quite a hobbyist. He sees a lot of girls and doesn’t seem to have the skills to have a relationship.”

“Hobbyists,” she explained, are men who “‘hobby’ in seeing many girls, as many as they can,” referring to escorts who offer companionship and sexual favors in exchange for what they euphemistically call financial “donations.”"

Here is a link that might be useful: Escort: Menendez a Hobbyist

o

Well, this time it must be true.

I mean, just how unlikely would it be that the same folks who bribed a Puerto Rican prostitute and set up, over-night, that professionally done attack website would now bribe an east coast prostitute to say the same thing?

/Never in a million years. Thats like winning the mega lottery or something.

o

Oh my....another conservative Faux News Fantasy Rat Hole. They are no longer going down Rabbit Holes.

I do not think Faux News and its friends realize the danger when you start to convenience the American People of false allegations. You weaken your government from within with the help of that country's citizens. The conservatives are all to willing accomplices.

I am all for taking down a politician for wrong doings regardless if there is a "R" or "D" in front of his/her name. But be sure it is true before you condemn and start running around like a chicken screaming the sky is falling.

o

I do enjoy the entertainment spectacle of seeing what it is on this day the gullible rubes choose to believe. To keep the cognitive dissonance at bay, to validate the self-identity, whatever.

Which former disinformer on Faux runs the Daily Caller again? I have such a hard time keeping these salesmen straight.

o

Can someone please explain to me what is so hard about saying/typing the following:

"I was wrong. I retract what I said. I am sorry."

or something along those lines.

Why oh why is it so hard for some to do that? They'd rather embarrass themselves further than to just type those few words?

I just cannot understand the mindset.

o

Some folks will argue with the undertaker! I will probably ask for a 2nd opinion. ideology * I gotcha gotcha, gotcha is a cruel task mistress!

o

jillinnj wrote,

Can someone please explain to me what is so hard about saying/typing the following:

"I was wrong. I retract what I said. I am sorry."

or something along those lines.

Why oh why is it so hard for some to do that? They'd rather embarrass themselves further than to just type those few words?

I just cannot understand the mindset.

Nikoleta is clearly far past the point of factoring in embarrassment. After all, she claimed that Menendez was in the Obama administration. She doesn't have even a trace amount of credibility left, as far as I can determine. And, once again, I haven't seen any other conservative attempt to correct her or at least distance themselves from what she has written. It might be an unspoken glass-house-based détente -- some won't criticize others because they are so vulnerable themselves.

o

I haven't been following the Crapo story, but I have been following Menendez. The FBI is presently investigating the Menendez story as a hoax. They are going at it through both ends. Personally, it looks to me like a conservative investigative group from Falls Church will end up with egg all over its face and a never mind kind of attitude because they've already got the damage planted in the minds of the mindless.

The worst thing Menendez did was not pay for some trips abroad aboard a private aircraft of a wealthy supporter.

The conservative investigative group from Falls Church overreached in also accusing the wealthy supporter and another prominent Dominican friend of using underage prostitutes on the prominent Dominican friend's yacht.

I have no doubt the Dominicans will get to the bottom of it on their side. The wealthy friend is highly influential in Dominican politics.

On the American side, the investigation seems to have been started by one "concerned American," Pete Williams. Looks like this Pete Williams is turning out to be a fabrication but he knows an awful lot about Menendez. Some even think "this" Pete Williams took his name from another former disgraced Abscam senator from New Jersey.

It will all play out but Menendez will end up as the damaged goods. Meanwhile the Falls Church conservative investigative group will have moved on to another victim.

-Ron-

o

"I am all for taking down a politician for wrong doings regardless if there is a "R" or "D" in front of his/her name. But be sure it is true before you condemn and start running around like a chicken screaming the sky is falling."

Marquest, I think we both want the bad eggs held accountable, regardless of their D or R status.

Menendez is a powerful US Senator accused of paying prostitutes. Either that claim is true, or it isn't. Either he is telling the truth, or he is lying. We need ALL of the press digging for the truth, and we need all of the press to report what it finds out. If multiple, independent sources can confirm the facts, there's a better chance we can "be sure it's the truth."

Unlike some on the left, I think more sources are better than fewer. I want the MSM participating right along with Fox.

If the conservative source got this report wrong, the MSM is free to correct it right now. If MSM can't do that, that's a big red flag. Either it hasn't been doing its job and gathering information, or it has been sitting on information it has for political reasons. That is called lying by omission.

We say we have a free press, but our MSM doesn't always act like one. Its job is to report, not to advocate, and not to go AWOL when it doesn't like what it turns up

o

So when you don't like what they are saying - that it was all a hoax and a lie - you think they aren't digging enough?

o

I'm pretty sure writers and comics come on The Internets and make fake characters to practice their craft.While they practice it, they make Internet Performance Art. Some of it is pretty good and makes us LOLz.

o

Pretty funny that Tucker Carlson is hot on the trail here, with the supposed, not-proven prostitutes, but when it came to David Vitter, who acknowledged doing the same thing, it was all "His personal life should be off-limits"

I'd link, but the site uses language not appropriate for a family forum such as this. Google is your friend.

o

"So when you don't like what they are saying - that it was all a hoax and a lie - you think they aren't digging enough?"

What I "like" doesn't enter into it. I assume we both expect a free press to vigorously set about substantiating or debunking conflicting reports, and to do so without regard for party affiliation. If that's not an expectation we share, I stand corrected.

We've been waiting a long time to get the straight story about Menendez and prostitutes, so my guess is that there has been plenty of digging by the MSM and the new media. Curiously, the MSM has now gone AWOL.

Good or bad, the people have the right to know the truth about Sen. Menendez. Why the MSM won't clear up the conflicts is yet to be understood. Surely the senator deserves to have exculpatory findings reported ASAP.

o

We've been waiting a long time to get the straight story about Menendez and prostitutes, so my guess is that there has been plenty of digging by the MSM and the new media. Curiously, the MSM has now gone AWOL.

Sorry, Nik, Menendez will have to get behind those hard hitting reporters that want to know why our people were left to be slaughtered in Benghazi and why government representatives intentionally misled the public about what happened and did not happen.

o

Funny how all the links in the posts above to the "MSM" covering the story are so blithely ignored.

/don't fit the myth.

o

Curiously, the MSM has now gone AWOL.

I don't understand why you think that has happened. They just published a story about the girl recanting her statements. How is that going "AWOL"?

o

nikoleta wrote,

Menendez is a powerful US Senator accused of paying prostitutes. Either that claim is true, or it isn't. Either he is telling the truth, or he is lying. We need ALL of the press digging for the truth, and we need all of the press to report what it finds out. If multiple, independent sources can confirm the facts, there's a better chance we can "be sure it's the truth."

You have no credibility.

Over a month ago, you wrote,

Now, you say,

What I "like" doesn't enter into it.

Then why do you "like" to say things such as

"The soon to be head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee has been sleeping with under age prostitutes"

Hard to imagine how someone could be more intellectually dishonest, but I keep an open mind.

o

Hard to imagine how someone could be more intellectually dishonest, but I keep an open mind.

IMHO, when you are an ideologically pure but unwitting propagandist, that is ideological "intellectual" "honesty" at its most pure.

73 Virgins, surely.

o

At the link, some left wing rag took up the story, and points out that there may be some influence of Columbia drug gangs trying to get Mendez out of the picture, because he's heavy into pressuring the Dominicans on smuggling funnies.

Here is a link that might be useful: mommy jones

o

see what happens to Figueroa he's not returning phone calls & looks like he's trying to back pedal his way out of any connection to this.

o

For an Independent your axe is always well honed for Dems NiK and ever silent of Reps! A small observation!

o

Oh, look!!! The Main Stream Media is reporting that a grand jury is investigating Mendendez for that funny bid'ness helping out his buddy, the guy with the plane and lots of campaign contributions!

Still nothing new on the apparently bogus prostitute story

o

"Oh, look!!!The Main Stream Media is reporting that a grand jury is investigating Mendendez for that funny bid'ness helping out his buddy, the guy with the plane and lots of campaign contributions!"

Oh, look!!! It's mid March!!!

o

I recall the fooforah when Weiner tweeted that tasteless tweet. At first many of us, including me, were quick to say it was some sorta set up.

When it became clear that it wasn't , that the jerk actually did post that tweet, we all expressed our disgust....we were grown up enough to say we were wrong......

I have never, yet in my many years of posting here ever ...Bill excepted..... ever heard a conservative say I was wrong...and that's the facts.

o

OH LOOK!

There's a difference between the FBI and a Grand Jury!!!!

o

Edited for removing a double post, plus to link to todays' major article about sen Menendez in the Washington Post.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to yet another MSM article

This post was edited by david52 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 11:21

o

Oh look!!! One DUI gets Crapo more attention than two federal probes get Menendez.

o

5 pages in the Washington Post?

o

Crapo was arrested in December, and people quickly lost interest. I don't know how this played in Idaho, and that's the important place.

The original investigation of Menendez received a lot of publicity, at least here in the Metro DC area, and he was exonerated. The current investigation, by the Grand Jury, just started, and I think it's in Miami, so who knows how much more coverage it will get, but I'm sure he will get all the coverage he deserves, no matter what the outcome is.

o

Chase: "I have never, yet in my many years of posting here ever ...Bill excepted..... ever heard a conservative say I was wrong...and that's the facts."

Well, I've heard conservatives say you were wrong, Chase, but that's probably not what you mean (see how that can happen?).

You have missed a few posts, as we all must. Don't even think about asking me to re-post them, but more conservatives than just Bill have indeed admitted being wrong--you just like Bill better. Wah. I have also noted that there have been occasions when other-than-conservatives have admitted being mistaken or otherwise "wrong".

o

I read an interesting study that showed that when given factual information that corrected a misperception, liberals tended to maintain their misperception, but conservatives exhibited a backfire effect whereby they believed their misperception even more strongly after reading the corrective information.

Fascinating.

o

Dominican Police: 3 Women Were Paid To Claim They Had Sex With Menendez

Eric Lach March 18, 2013, 2:39 PM 7175

Police in the Dominican Republic said at a news conference Monday that three women who claimed last year that they were paid to have sex with Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) were actually paid to make the false statements by a Dominican lawyer, the Associated Press reports.

According to the AP, a police spokesman said officers had determined that two of the women got $425 each and the third was paid around $300 to make the false claims on camera. They were all paid by a lawyer named Melanio Figueroa, who is now being sought for questioning by Dominican police.

In November, the conservative website The Daily Caller published a story accompanied by a video interview with two unnamed Dominican women claiming to have slept with Menendez for money. Figueroa was identified as the women’s lawyer. The story was initially ignored by much of the media, but surfaced again this year, when correspondence an anonymous tipster had with both the FBI and a watchdog group was published online.

The tipster alleged that Menendez had sex with prostitutes at the Dominican home of the Florida doctor, businessman, and political donor Salomon Melgen. Those allegations were initially included in stories about Menendez’s relationship with Melgen, following an FBI raid of Melgen’s Miami offices. Reports originally indicated that the FBI was investigating both the prostitution angle and financial links between Menendez and Melgen. But reporting from various media outlets soon began to undercut the prostitution angle. Then, earlier this month, one woman in the Dominican Republic claimed in a court document that she had been paid to make up the claims. The Daily Caller initially stood by its original reporting, but eventually conceded that “several troubling elements in the story remain.”

o

I read an interesting study that showed that when given factual information that corrected a misperception, liberals tended to maintain their misperception, but conservatives exhibited a backfire effect whereby they believed their misperception even more strongly after reading the corrective information.

Very interesting.

We do see that backfire effect here on HT all the time. This thread being the perfect example.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here