Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Gun

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 11:34

is a tool that is designed and manufactured for the sole purpose of killing or injuring animal life.
From this perspective, it ranks up there with the cross (crucifixion),the gallows (hanging) and the guillotine (beheading). In fact the gun enabled the firing squad.
The automobile is not designed for killing or injuring any life; but it can be successfully argued that the automobile can be a lethal weapon in the hands of the wrong person
When I turned 18 years old, (please do not ask how long ago) the first thing I did was apply for a "Learner's Licence" (British colony, British spelling) to drive. This permitted me to drive a motor vehicle:
Only if a certified driver was seated in the front passenger seat (to quickly take control if necessary).
An "L" of specified size had to be displayed at the front and rear of the vehicle.
The max speed would be 15 mph.
The mandatory minimum period was three months before I could apply to take the written and practical tests.
Here in the USA I had to repeat that (different conditions); and in the 30 years since I have had to re-test twice. At present there are two endorsements on my driver's license (please note updated spelling).
I am quite sure that I can, today (Sunday), purchase and use a gun legally, more quickly and easily than I could purchase and use an auto.
My point, you ask?
Well! If I have not made it clear thus far, I need to seriously brush up on my communication skills.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Gun

Here-- let me introduce you to the intelligence of the gun control side:

Here is a link that might be useful: Are you Freakin kidding me??????

o

Another example of supreme intelligence

Here is a link that might be useful: I don't even know what to put for a caption to this one

o

bill_vincent, I am chastened.

o

Terrorists threats seem to come from the most unlikely places and sources. Try joking about bombs in airplanes at airports. Extension of absolutist policies -- no exceptions.

Stupid, yes.

Same class of stupidity as those gun show accidents? No.

o

ronalawn, there is no reason to feel chastened when another poster uses a straw man argument that has nothing to do with the purpose of a gun versus the purpose of an automobile, or the difficulty of being certified to operate one compared to the easiness of buying a gun with no need of certification of any kind.

o

You're right, pidge. It has NOTHING to do with a gun. It has to do with CONTROL. I really hate to be cliche, but it's the truth. I mean, give me a break!! Suspend a 5 year old little girl, send her for a psych eval, and label her on her permanent school record AS A TERRORIST???? Are you freakin kidding me????

o

I guess you have to realise that these poor kids may be going home to houses where there are loaded guns lying around(as evidenced by the large amount of smal children killed by misuse of guns)
...the record was changed to "threat to harm another child...not terrorist.

Ronalawn , is it still possible to purchase a gun on the same day that you apply for a licence? How bad is that.

o

pidge, I was trying to be funny; I hope that bill_vincent understands that also.
youngquinn, I do not know. All I know is that it is hardly likely that I can walk into a car dealership on a Sunday and drive home a car.
I can purchase a gun and use it on any day of the week.
And that anomaly cries out (loudly!) for rectification.

o

Bill, the two instances you point to are, as you suggest, ridiculous. Some folks are totally nuts when they do such things to kids whose lives may be very complicated and not easily reduced to "zero tolerance." I could not agree with you more when you point out that these instances are cuckoo.

But they are still straw man arguments that are not related to the OP about the ease of buying a gun or the difficulty of getting a driver's license. I am just trying to stay on subject and not get sidetracked into unrelated issues.

At the same time, I've been around this place long enough to know that threads on HT go off in lots of directions. No harm, no foul.

o

Rona-- yes, I did. It's why I didn't post back.

...the record was changed to "threat to harm another child...not terrorist.

Right, she was gonna shoot bubbles at her. I guess maybe if she doesn't use a no more tears formula....

YQ, maybe you don't realize that follows you all through school, and stays a part of your permanent record. Atleast with the terrorist comment anyone in their right mind could see that the teacher was fruitloops. THis is worse. Without an explanation of the infraction, it could be damaging to her.

o

Of course not as damaging as having been killed by a stranger while in the safety of the school.

o

You're right Marshall. I don't know what I was thinking. What if that miscreant had brought that bubble gun to school!! Oh, the humanity!

o

Hey, remember a few years ago when potato guns were all the rage, remeber there were calls to ban them!!! What can ya say about these people anyhow???

o

Heck, I made zip guns in Junior High School (and got into trouble when discovered showing the gizmo off during PE.) Copper tubing and .22 shorts. Cool, eh?

o

we made similar. Made a few cannons and mortars too a few years back.
Our area is chuck full of machine shops, the biggest town in the county is nicknamed "Tool City". Several went to custom gun work when the tool indusrty dumped several years ago.One of my hobbies was customizing .44 ,.41, and .45 long Colt magnums; 1 of a kind pieces. Lots of EDM work and accurizing, re barreling, etc. A lot of them make guns from scratch, or maybe uppers and lowers. These guys are pretty good with machines.

o

Growing up in Chicago, some of the kids made bottle-cap guns--nasty. You could put out someone's eye .)

o

Hey, remember a few years ago when potato guns were all the rage, remeber there were calls to ban them!!! What can ya say about these people anyhow???

I judged a science fair project a month ago, where some 8th grader and his dad had made a 'potato gun' by welding some 1/4" steel cylinder and steel pipe, filling the thing with propane and oxygen, used a wad, carved potato to fit perfectly, and the potato was going 400+ yards.

o

We do love our guns even as we collectively urge gun-control regulation for the larger society.

o

You could put out someone's eye .)

You borrowed that from a movie.

o

No , he borrowed it from my mother!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here