Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you watching the Inaugural Ceremonies?

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:11

I was a room away from the TV, at my computer, when I heard the familiar strains of the anti-slavery/Civil War hymn by Julia Ward Howe--"Glory, glory hallelujah!" But never have I heard it sung so beautifully as it was today by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. It brought me to my feet and by the time I was at the door of the TV room, my eyes were filled with tears and pride!

Never have I heard such a moving rendition and wonderful visuals to go with it.

Then Justice Sotomayer stepped up to administer the oath to VP Joe Biden. I was so proud to see a latina justice standing there, and so thankful Joe Biden is our VP.

Then our President was sworn in--and the cameras swept the cheering crowd as far as the (camera) eye could see--flags waving everywhere, and above it all, one superlarge flag rippling the red, white, and blue over the scene like a blessing on everything America stands for--and the President's opening words: "All men are created equal," the goal toward which our national and individual journeys are directed as we "complete" that vision.

"Our generation's task"--to make Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness true for all people. A goal worthy of a great nation.

I cannot remember being so moved by an inaugural ceremony and proud to be an American.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you watching the Inaugural Ceremonies?

Kate, you have reason to be proud.

I've been watching all morning. I've never heard that hymn sung more beautifully either. Brought me to tears.

~Ann

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:27

By the time they finished singing tears were pouring down my face ...

Yes I am watching :)

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:29

Yes, we've been watching and explaining in to the kids.

Three different channels in three rooms.

BBC, MSNBC and PBS.

Very good (well mostly)

o

The "Battle Hymn of the Republic" was beautifully performed. How could one not tear up?

I'd never heard Kelly Clarkson, but her "My Country Tis of Thee" was quite spectacular, too.

Panning the crowd during the proceedings - so much pure joy on faces. Rightfully so.

o

I'm at work we have a show & pretty much a full house tonight!
Sorry I'm missing it!

o

Are you kidding? After pounding the pavement for Obama and manning the phones, this was the reward. I love the pageantry of it all and the beautiful renditions of the music. I liked Obama's speech particularly his mention of global warming.

Glad today was relatively decent weather. Yesterday at 60 would have been better, tomorrow in the low 20's much worse.

o

The President's speech outlining progress at home and our goal for the future was short, but a strong and inspiring defense of mainstream/progressive principles:

Three important landmarks in our history: Seneca Falls; Birmingham; Stonewall.

Women's Rights; Civil Rights; Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender Rights.

The commitments we make to each other: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid.

For the future, internationally: converting current enemies into future friends.
Let's call an end to all current wars.

Yes (cheering crowd, waving flags, and public joy)!

Kate

o

I'm not a very emotional person, but I got choked up a few times.
Obama's speech was a gem: he covered a lot of ground and like Lilly, I was pleased that he mentioned climate change and trying to mitigate it. He was right that we should be leading the technology.
It was all good.

o

I am still teary eyed. The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir was Awwwsome!!!!!

o

I also think that this inauguration was the best inauguration I've ever witnessed. This one was a "WOW."

o

Second best for me. Kennedy one was the best for me, followed by the Clinton one in third place..

o

But we have always understood that when times change, so must we; that fidelity to our founding principles requires new responses to new challenges; that preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action. For the American people can no more meet the demands of today's world by acting alone than American soldiers could have met the forces of fascism or communism with muskets and militias. No single person can train all the math and science teachers we'll need to equip our children for the future, or build the roads and networks and research labs that will bring new jobs and businesses to our shores. Now, more than ever, we must do these things together, as one nation, and one people.

So true. We must adapt to the times, not assume that original documents have all the solutions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speech text

o

I watched a good part of it, and felt so proud. I thought Obama's address was one of the most brilliant I'd ever heard anywhere. So many echoes of M.L. King's ideas, and so appropriate. I applauded the references to Selma, Stonewall, and Seneca Falls. As the camera panned the faces of the crowd, there was so much unmitigated joy and hope prevalent. I also thought Beyonce did a good job with such a difficult tune. A truly inspiring day I will not forget....

o
RE:* Are you watching the Inaugural Ceremonies?

I forgot to say that I really liked the themes of the poem, as well.

o

I also loved the toasts at the luncheon. When the invocation came on, I switched to FOX (had again to look up the number on the dial) ,and there was Brit Hume who was asked his reaction. He said he is the most liberal president and will continue to be and yada yada, yada. Chris Wallace was kinda teary and said this was an example of this great nation continuing and not to get partisan or words to that effect.

o

I only got to see his speech. I'm at work today. But I made my son come over and watch it with me. My boss kept interrupting us, but it was just to stop and enjoy it. We're both sides of the aisles, proud of the same President. His speech, like all his others!!!, was so stirring and appropriate. What really strikes me about him, is what always strikes me about him. He's articulate, intelligent... and yet, so very real. He's as much a citizen as the rest of us. He never tries to act like he owns the joint. I just kept hearing We Shall Overcome someday... all the time realizing, that happy crowd was glorying in themselves, we have overcome. So much. All races and walks of life, practically looked like they were hand in hand. There is so much to go, but so much really has happened, it makes me proud of our strides to know that if we have done it, we can continue to do it. Equal pay for Women and same-gender marriages are next on the docket.

What a great day this is, MLK-Inauguration day. A true civil rights day!!!

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 15:12

"there is so much to go"

Yes we must continue to move "forward" as a country and leave the past where it belongs, to that other "moment in time".

One nation, one people..

o

I saw bits and pieces at the gym and another stop today.

President Obama looked particularly dapper, his daughters looked pretty--the older daughter is just a stunning young lady, and all I saw of Mrs. Obama was that she had donned a rather unusual dress or uniform type coat and now has bangs--I just got a glimpse and couldn't figure out what she was wearing or see her face.

I did see part of the luncheon with the "beltway movers and shakers"--the politicians--and I wished they'd all go home as soon as their present terms are up, if not sooner.

o

Co workers playing it on you tube good speech nice Star spangled banner! From Selma to Stonewall! Hmmm the times they are a changing! Crowds lively Hoorah for our side always feels nice when your on that side!

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 15:19

I came back to add that I loved Michelle' ensemble today, and her new hairdo. She looked awesome!

o

I echo OM comment. I think Michelle gives Jackie Kennedy a run for her money. The girls looked adorable too. I love the bangs. Daughter and I said yesterday she looks like Kerry Washington.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 15:27

I have been watching since eleven o'clock and will keep watching as the parade gets going. I, too, have been very moved and emotional. Despite all our problems and difficulties, I am proud to be an American.

o

I did not watch on TV. But the pictures I've seen on line of Michelle Obama and their daughters are stunning. I loved Michelle's outfit, and I think her new hair is very flattering. The girls looked perfect as always.

Where is the HT fashion critic, AKA Hay?

o

jillinnj, don't even ask! I am not up for criticism just for criticism's sake today!

o

Lily, I agree that she gives Jackie O a run for her fashion forward sense of style. I loved Jackie's look and it was perfect for her time. Michelle wears designer clothes and she ought to as First Lady, but she also wears off the rack stuff which is great.

I recall when folks would criticize Nancy Reagan for buying expensive china for the White House or wore truly gorgeous designer clothes. I disagreed because the WH really ought to be at the top in terms of our standing in the world. I feel the same way about all First Ladies, who are part of America's face to the world.

Jill Biden looks pretty darn good today, too.

o

Ironically, Hillary's china ($240,000) cost more than Nancy's ($210,000). The worst was Laura Bush ($492,000). At least they set up the foundation that pays for it so it can continue to happen. I agree, fashion for the people and the house should be top notch. The US is a cornerstone and should look it.

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 16:33

Notice that Jill Biden adopted the "sleeveless" look, but do not look for criticism of her dress/style :)

o

Unfortunately I was not able to watch much of the inauguration but I did catch the Presidents speech on the car radio and thought it was a strong and positive message. We got home in time to see the President and First Lady start their walkabout.

Michelle Obama's outfit is stunning and was tailored so beautifully. The sleeves of that dress coat could not have fit better, and the gloves were perfect. The top fashion critics are raving about the color, the fit and the fabric. Can't imagine how she navigated the walkabout with those boots but she did .

The girls were dressed perfectly and Michelle nailed it with the colour palate the family wore.....as I watch the girls are checking their I phones...I love it !!!!

Dr Biden looked stunning and the VP was clearly having fun along the parade route.

A very special day and one you all should be so proud of regardless of your politics... the peaceful transfer of power......just not sure why they played God Save the Queen right after the President's speech.... :-) :-) :-)

o

What a lovely day and I loved the symbolism.

I agree with almost everyone. The President looked very handsome and Mrs Obama looked beautiful. Loved her clean classic style and love the new bangs.The girls and Mrs. Robinson also looked stunning. They are a gorgeous family. Ditto goes for the Biden's.

Brooklyn sure was in the house today. The magnificent Brooklyn Tabernacle choir, Sen. Schumer and Jayz accompanied his wife, Beyonce. :)

Loved their choices for performers too.

o

Chase, I came back here to say that I love that the girls are such "regular" teens never letting cell phones out of their sight. Malia especially hardly takes her eyes off whatever text is coming in. They are SOOOO like my grandkids.

I like when parents that are in high places have kids who are like others their own age. The Bush daughters always wore whatever girls their age were wearing and even their shenanigans were pretty ordinary for girls their age. Does anyone remember Harry Truman defending his daughter Margaret when some critic slammed her piano playing? It's all about the kids after all.

o

I'm going to get this out of the way before the "negative bunch" weigh in....

Mr President loose the d@mn gum!!!

o

And you know what's really great? That those of us who couldn't go to Washington, D.C. had such a strong sense of participating in the events via TV.

I had a sudden flashback to my youth and my parents unsure if we should buy our first TV or not. Might corrupt the American family! And here today, via TV, the whole nation is involved in this national event. We've come a long way just in that matter. LOL

Thanks to several of you for correcting me on the Alabama city the President included in his triad of landmarks: Seneca Falls, Selma, Stonewall. I'm so used to hearing Birmingham mentioned on Martin Luther King day (his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail") that that city just slipped in there without me even noticing it.

Seneca Fall, Selma, Stonewall--much better with the alliteration to help emphasize the common factor of the triad of cities (human rights).

I'm loving reading (nearly) everybody's emotional and happy remarks about todays events and listening to the crowd grow wild with joy when the President and VP and wives got out to walk with the people. Have you ever seen so many ecstatic people in one spot? Anyone know how large the crowds have been for this event?

Kate

o

I think 900,000, less than the first one which was over a million. Such a happy crowd. Wish I was there.

o

Chase..It's Nicorette gum. He gave up cigarettes a few years ago , and still needs this but I agree with you. Tone it down. But as a couple, they were speculator looking today.

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:35

Well Chase and Lily you just threw the "chum" in the water ... watch out for sharks.

o

Lilly truly it isn't a critism of the President just a way of getting ahead of the negative bunch before they find a flaw in a wonderful day.

Anyone who would use that as a way of bringing this day down will look very, very small......and they would be.

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:43

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:10

I'm going to get this out of the way before the "negative bunch" weigh in....

Mr President loose the d@mn gum!!!

It's a shame I missed that!

I wouldn't let my daughters chew gum in public.
It looks tacky.
They still don't.

Was he walking?

This post was edited by demifloyd on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:40

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:48

Sigh

o

You called it , Chase..lol

o

There you go......but please don't respond...let it go ....don't let this become another one of those threads.

Today is a good day....keep it that way

o

I really enjoyed the quiet, dignified inauguration ceremony at the White House on Sunday.

But I'm happy you guys enjoyed today.

Best wishes
Jon

o

How fortunate we are to have a great man as our President !
Considering how Obama has conducted himself in Office I continue to be baffled at how any American could spew hatred and demonstrate disrespect for him.
The inauguration was wonderful and should be a wake-up call to the FoxNews crowd who are committed to dividing this nation by race, religion, sexual orientation, and economic class. They had a chance to defeat Obama and spent 4 years whining and b1tchin, like several posters here who devoted hundreds of hours over that time to their cause.
They lost...they freaking LOST and today was a day to celebrate that as well.
And what about Dubya not attending? And Mitt? LOL. They have an excuse...it is an ailment familiar to people of privilege like those fortunate sons...it is a disease called the sore loser syndrome.

o

Chase - I am impressed at your ability to see into the future :-)

Today is a good day....keep it that way

Yes, it is! And nothing, certainly nothing so trivial, can change that.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 18:13

Dubya and Mitt might be busy just like the last time when many repubs we're scheming away on an Inaugural Day.

o

GWB was invited as a Past President. He was there for the last inauguration and I suspect his reasons for not attending this one are valid.

Mitt however was not invited......nor should he be.

o

Mitt was in CA in one of his gazillion homes. He said he probably wouldn't watch. Sore loser.

GWB knows how hated he is. That's probably the reason.

o

I suspect his reasons for not attending this one are valid.

What is the basis for your conjecture? His father's health is no longer an issue, not today, anyway.

o

GWB should have been there. Can't imagine why he wasn't except maybe his father is sick?

o

What is your reasons for thinking anything else?

Presidents, from all stripes, share a bond that is beyond what we may understand. It has nothing to do with politics...there is a reason and it likely is none of our business.

o

...it is a disease called the sore loser syndrome.

GWB didn't loose, he checked out long ago, and Mitt wasn't invited. Perhaps best they weren't there since they probably would have received the same reaction as Ryan did upon his arrival.

I heard a report that the King family asked the President and the Chief Justice to sign the family bible after the swearing in. Another wonderful symbol of the day.

Today I'd rather focus on the positive instead of the negative.

o

I always start out thinking, "Oh, floats and blaring bands and girls tossing flags...big whoop," Then, of course, I get pulled in, seeing our Capital all dressed up, and hearing the moving prayers and poetry...and My President! (There have been some I didn't love, but I am in love with the whole idea of America's presidents, starting with that wealthy rebel farmer, Geo. Washington.) History in the making, writ large indeed.

I was taken with the makeup of the crowds. They looked so *ordinary*! They were jumping with life and excitement. They are not the 'stiffs' of old, who were largely white people (like me), top-coated men escorting women in furs -- with 'proper' expressions.

o

Can't imagine how she navigated the walkabout with those boots but she did . If I had to spend a day on my feet, I'd be opting for something really low heel-wise.

Found this AP photo, chase; scroll down a bit in the article. Love that outfit - and the "aubergine" colored gloves. Great pairing.

It was a terrific day. And Washington couldn't have looked lovelier under blue skies.

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 19:19

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 19:17

vgkg .. 5 buses left D.C. for Williamsburg this morn :)

o

Obamas 3 "G"s
Gun control
Gay Rights
Global warming

and he also mentioned equal pay for women!!

with best wishes

o

Duluth, I don't see a link.....but I need to!!

Anxiously awaiting the inaugural gown......I bet it is going to be unusual

o

I didn't get much done today. I was always within hearing or sight of the TV. It was an amazing day for Americans.

Mrs. Obama's gown is beautiful. Love the first dance. With Jennifer Hudson singing Let's Stay Together.

~Ann

o

I didn't get much done today. I was always within hearing or sight of the TV. It was an amazing day for Americans.

I am still watching. The Inaugural Balls are on now.

o

It is still on here too Marquest.

~Ann

o

Kate: "For the future, internationally: converting current enemies into future friends.
Let's call an end to all current wars."

On HT, too--or just the foreign entities who wish for our demise, literally?

Just sayin'.

-------------

Mrs. Obama's outfit was perfect, IMO. And I love bangs; I always have bangs; they're great for covering frown lines, and look great with dark eyes. Ooh. And wine-colored gloves. Gotta have a pair in that color. No way I could walk around in those boots, though. They must have been made for walkin'. ;D

o

Chase - must have accidentally knocked link off when I edited. Will try again.

Scroll about half way down through various inauguration items...

Here is a link that might be useful: looks more like leggings than boots

o

So proud and happy :)

The First Lady rocked it, her new cut is so modern and around New York, you can see lots of women hoofing around the city in those type of boots.

What a wonderful day!

o

Even more than seeing the Obama family on this day, I especially loved all the camera shots of the Americans who were there to watch this historic day unfold. The average Americans in the crowd looked so pleased to be there.

They stood, proud and united.

o

I was never far from a TV today either. Even when I went to the gym, I watched it on CNN.I would have loved to have been in the crowd but standing eight hours plus fighting the traffic,just didn't inspire me. I saw a heck of a lot more on my big flatscreen.

Watching the two of them dance tonight, kissing and hugging on stage, somehow I could not imagine Mitty and Ann doing this.

o

What is your reasons for thinking anything else?
Bush's demeanor at Obama's first inaugural while Obama basically laid him out for the harm he did to the economy and to our country.
Bush Sr. has been out of the hospital for a while. There is no evidence that his sons are at his side as he lays in extremis somewhere. Using his father's earlier hospital stay as an excuse is baloney.

Romney decided not to attend and indicated through sources that he would not even watch. What a Jerk!

o

I love the Obamas. Love them. But I don't have to hate the Romney's to do it. And those negative comments about them, spoil this thread. So since you "can't imagine it" here they are kissing. In public even. They're human beings.

And yes, past presidents, who are loved by others (not me, not you, but others) do bond with current presidents. No need to dis him either. Don't know why you gotta put down one to build the other up or just keep on making digs about them. It's in the past. Leave it there!

Loved Malia yawning. Son and I smiled and laughed. I said, I bet she's heard this one a hundred times, from him practicing! Yes, very endearing, typical kid. Great day yesterday!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitt and Ann kissing

o

I love the Obamas. Love them. But I don't have to hate the Romney's to do it.

Most loser candidates attend the Presidential Inaugural. Citizen Romney released a statement through one of his sources(maybe Tagg, his son that wanted to punch out Obama) that not only would he not attend, but that he would not even watch it.

And as far as feeling a need to diss Romney, wait a second, where have you been? I guess you missed Romney dissing 47% of the country by writing them off as takers. Or perhaps you missed Tagg claiming that his father didn't want to win anyway, or the fact that Romney appears to not want to really devote his time to help the country and work with President Obama, since he didn't win.

I like President Obama and do not have to diss Romney to feel good about the inauguration, but the guy deserves it.
He is a selfish, arrogant plutocrat and a sore loser to boot.

o

I didn't say he didn't dis Americans (I find his words scathing and hurful), but it's unclassy to do so. Just don't say it at all. Think it all you like. Everyone talks about the hate here, never seeing it in themselves. It's unpalatable.

o

Someday the 'loser candidate' as they will call whoever it is, will be a yearned for democrat, Heri. I'm not sure why you feel so strongly that Romney is such a jerk for passing, this was a painful public loss of his personal dream, incredibly painful and humiliating for his wife and children. If he watched, then, like most Presidential candidates who lose, it would probably be a deeply bitter experience to be endured, sure that they would have been the better choice. Most especially in this divided, hateful political climate we all live in and really, contribute to.
Why put himself, and anyone with him, through that. They have been through enough.

I would wager that a lot of loyal democrats would not have watched the ceremonies should Romney had won, and really, entirely human reaction, nothing so wrong with it.

Of course, this is only my take on the subject, you are as entitled to your own Heri...but you won. Is it not worse to be a bad winner as it is a bad loser? If revenge is the motivation ( and I do get that need, after enduring all the extreme ugly of the last 5 years regarding about and aimed at the Obamas)....you already got it on election night.

o

Well, John McCain was there, clearly with an endorsement deal for RayBan sunglasses. Sheech, the things covered half his face.

o

An attempted disguise?

Kate

o

Hardly anyone dislikes Bush more than I do ,and yet I watched BOTH his inaugurations. The classy thing was for Bush to be there , but he is classless. As for Romney, I don't know if the losers attend or not. But to say you won't even watch it on TV when you've been involved for years running for the office is ludicrous. Almost everyone watches at least a little of the inauguration. It's HISTORY. It's OUR pomp and circumstance

That aside, on my FB there were 100's of tweets on a site that I belong (Moveon) showing all the people calling for his assassination today.(yesterday). Most were young, all were white and they were turning the TV on to watch someone "blow his head off" I hope these cretins know that the SS will be paying them a visit, and I hope each and everyone of them is put on a list and fined.

o

I absolutely adored the "red dress". Michelle looked perfect in it. They are not only a beautiful,classic family who inspires, but they rock! Yesterday was truly unforgettable in so many ways....

o

John McCain has a serious issue with skin cancer.

Noteworthy that McCain is one of the handful of active members in govt that voted against MLK day.

How bout Justice Scalia's hat? This confirms he was born in the 15th century.

o

I missed Scalia's hat.

o

Not really any different than the bible they used for the swearing in, just a piece of history attending the party:

"the hat was a replica of one worn by Sir Thomas More, a 16th-century English lawyer, philosopher, author and Catholic saint. It was a gift to the justice."

It looks no less odd than graduation attire I see.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

And now ...... hold on to your seats ...... it seems that Beyonce lip-synced the national anthem.

/another fallen idol.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I could not believe that. I just told my daughter and she agreed. If so, that was the best lip syncing ever...

o

I am not so sure. I've watched one video. she takes out her ear-piece. Wouldn't she need that to coordinate with the recording? And even if she did pre-record it, it's still her voice. So I'm ok with it.

:)

o

OMG ...OMG.....next thing you know she will be saying she was golfing with Joe those 7 years ago and heard the shots...

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 15:51

So ... if Obama lip synched the swearing in is he really president?

o

Crack me up, kwoods!

Kate

o

if Obama lip synched the swearing in is he really president?

If they let him be president for four years even though he's not a citizen, what's a little lip synching?

o

Heck just to be sure he's had to take the oath twice each time!!!!

o

Producer: "They should get Biden a t-shirt cannon."

Here is a link that might be useful: overheard in the newsroom

o

Nancy -- Did I 'hear' you right? Gosh, I didn't know you were a 'birther'. My sympathies.

o

Scalia, More -- so hard to tell self-satisfied bigots apart.

o

I didn't know you were a 'birther'.

I impersonate one, as the occasion requires.

< wink, wink >

o

Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 18:06

Satire

"WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) A rising chorus of congressional Republicans are calling on President Obama to acknowledge that the pop singer Beyonce lip-synched during his inaugural festivities on Monday and resign from office, effective immediately.

"By lip-synching the national anthem, Beyonce has cast a dark cloud over the President's second term," said Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky). "The only way President Obama can remove that cloud is by resigning from office at once."

While many in the media have blamed Beyonce for the lip-synching controversy, Mr. Paul said, "We must remember that this happened on President Obama's watch."

Mr. Paul said that the White House's refusal to comment on the Beyonce crisis "only serves the argument that this President has something to hide."

"If Beyonce lip-synched the national anthem, how do we know President Obama didn't lip-sync his oath of office?" he said. "If that's the case, he's not legally President. But just to be on the safe side, he should resign anyway."

Mr. Paul also blasted Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for her testimony on Benghazi before the Senate today: "Her tactic of answering each and every question we asked her didn't fool anyone.""

This post was edited by kwoods on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 20:05

o

For some time now I have wondered about the mental balance of this man. Now I'm convinced he's a bit off his rocker!

Kate

o

I heard Paul being interviewed by Wolf Blitzer today. Paul evidently upbraided Hilary Clinton, saying the she'd overseen "the worst diplomatic security disaster since 9/11". Blitzer had him stumbling over himself trying to redefine 'what he meant'. It reminded me that in Chicago the newspapers eventually stopped printing the incomprehensible stuff Mayor Daley said and printed 'what he meant'.

o

Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 20:03

That's the Borowitz Report, Andy Borowitz writes satire for The New Yorker.

o

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 15:17

"And now ...... hold on to your seats ...... it seems that Beyonce lip-synced the national anthem.
/another fallen idol."

The band was pre-recorded too. Smoke and mirrors. I'll bet all the modern inaugurations are scripted pre-recorded performances. It's show biz, man. We were obviously entertained; here we all are.

Like watching any other TV show.

o

Who knows if any of these stars can sing without the magic of recording mixes. I *think* Clarkson was 'for real' -- and did a great job. Funny, I was just thinking she a little bit Southern, then we caught Bill Clinton 'appreciating' her! (Down Home girl?)

o

I don't care about her lip syncing, everybody in the whole world knows that the woman can sing our socks off, and beautifully. It was so freezing, she had already gone through the great honor and probably extreme stress during the first time for the Obama's dance, perhaps she just wanted to have her perfect track record stand and enjoy the day also. It was her song as she actually sung it,no big deal imo

On the other hand, purely opinion, I don't like Jennifer Hudson's voice, to me, my opinion only, she screams out her songs, which makes me wince. I loved the song selection, some humor there! But if any song demands a male R&B singer, in my opinion, that is the one. They should have gone for a good male R&B singer, next time they should consult me first. *snork*

Also, I think the song all new Presidents and their wives dance to should be trimmed down to about half the time length of the song ( so easily done) - the dance ALWAYS looks very awkward to me from the halfway point on, even for those who look like the dance was choreographed just for them.

Those were the only things I would have changed, its all only personal taste, the rest of the day was wonderful.

My favorite part was when the President took his oath indoors in the office and his youngest piped up, "You did great, you didn't even mess up!"--- made them all laugh, a very natural family interaction on a day all of them will remember with great pride for the rest of their lives, and her comment which will be a treasured piece of humorous laugh for all her generations that will come in the future. That was my favorite moment, just too bad it couldn't have been a private one.

o

I dunno. When she yawned during his speech.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to awsomest moment

This post was edited by david52 on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 11:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here